Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 17:21   #61
BHPian

Re: The inevitable question: Linea or Manza or another entry level diesel sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
If I could have waited, then I might have taken Sunny XL diesel. The poor dealer network, service network and relatively less Indianization of production are some points we have to think about. If a big city like Bangalore has only one Nissan dealer for sales and service, then their first priority has to be expand aggressively. I did see advt offering dealer franchise for anyone interested
Thanks for responding. I asked because I want to buy a diesel sedan. My research has been limited to reading and does not include any test drives. But, my plans got delayed for some time now as I booked an apartment.

Read the reviews of Skoda Rapid and have drooling over it since. But, the considerable price difference when compared with Sunny (have considered other D sedans, but rejected for one or the other reason) makes me question my decision.

So, right now I am just collecting information and will start the test drives once I am actually nearing the purchase.
Old 31st March 2012, 17:10   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post

Optra - Only
question that I have that nobody can answer is "how long will it continue to
be on sale" and "will it be difficult to source spares for the next 5 years". I
might sell it off after 5 years.
I can answer my own question now. To confirm what GenuineOptimist had mentioned earlier, I called up Kun again and asked him to come over to
take the booking amount for SandDriftGrey. He was hesitant initially and said they have red color in stock and I can take delivery immediately. However when I insisted on sanddriftgrey admitted that they are not taking bookings anymore. So thats the end of Optra magnum, a beautiful car I must say.
Old 15th May 2012, 12:44   #63
BHPian

Well, even I am mighty confused between the Manza, Linea and the Rapid. These are the 3 that I have shortlisted so far. I loved the Fluidic Verna TD but thats ruled out taking into consideration the 4-5 months waiting period.

Amongst the 3, I loved the drive on the Rapid the most while Manza seems like the best value-for-money car. Linea for me is the best looking car.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
Old 15th May 2012, 13:31   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
Well, even I am mighty confused between the Manza, Linea and the Rapid. These are the 3 that I have shortlisted so far. I loved the Fluidic Verna TD but thats ruled out taking into consideration the 4-5 months waiting period.

Amongst the 3, I loved the drive on the Rapid the most while Manza seems like the best value-for-money car. Linea for me is the best looking car.

You can afford the Rapid (which belongs to a segment above Manza), my choice will be it.
Probably the most rounded diesel C segment with good value. Strong engine,good build quality and fun to drive.
Skoda's service and maintenance cost can be debatable issue though.
Old 15th May 2012, 14:02   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The simplest way to help is for you to figure out what you want / need in a car. As an example, the Manza is the most comfortable of the three but it's handling is the worst of the three. Give us your criterion and we can guide you better.
Old 15th May 2012, 15:27   #66
BHPian

I guess thats where the confusion lies. If its only driving comfort and handling, I would go for the Rapid. But then I need some comfort and space on the back as well ( considering that I have a baby now so space is a requirement for the next 3 years atleast for an adult to take care of the baby on the back seat ). Thats how the Manza made its way on the list but just wondering if it would be too much of a compromise on the other factors.
Old 21st May 2012, 15:52   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats how the Manza made its way on the list but just wondering if it would be too much of a compromise on the other factors.
Look at the Manza like this.

It is the cheapest of the three (initial cost and maintenance).
It is the most comfortable of the three.
It is the most spacious of the three.
It has the widest A.S.S dealer network of the three.
It probably has the best A.S.S of the three (none of the three have a good reputation).

It is the worst handling of the three.
It is the least well built of the three (niggling faults and build quality).
It has the worst performance of the three.

Figure out what you need in a car and then decide accordingly.
Old 28th May 2012, 23:47   #68
BHPian

Ahh well, I eventually opted for space ( budget being a small contributor as well ). And to be honest, I did enjoy my test drives on the Manza as well. I booked the Manza ( Aura-ABS ) yesterday. And now the impatient wait has already begun.

Thanks for the inputs though. And yes, I do agree that the Skoda Rapid and the Fiat Linea are way better. The Rapid lost the race on Space ( the long tunnel really makes it a 4-seater ) while the Linea lost it on space ( its way too expensive in my opinion ).
Old 13th June 2012, 18:17   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Ahh well, I eventually opted for space ( budget being a small contributor as well ). I booked the Manza ( Aura-ABS ) yesterday.

The Rapid lost the race on Space ( the long tunnel really makes it a 4-seater)
@explorer09 - Congratulations ! Budget is not really a contributor in my case.
Still I am leaning slightly towards Manza over Rapid. Am I ?
Old 17th June 2012, 09:21   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
@explorer09 - Congratulations ! Budget is not really a contributor in my case.
Still I am leaning slightly towards Manza over Rapid. Am I ?
Thanks Man. Well then it depends on whether you need the space of the Manza. Else I would suggest you go for the Rapid.
Old 28th July 2012, 16:45   #71
BHPian

I would definitely recommend the Manza here. I have driven a diesel Aura with ABS and found the car to be quite good. The handling seemed decent but the comfort was out of this world. The only thing wrong with the car (nitpicking here) is the poor sound quality of the in-built stereo.
If someone is looking out for a diesel car in this segment and is even willing to spend more over the Manza, i would still recommend the Manza.
(Changing the ICE will be the only necessity)
Old 20th August 2012, 13:33   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
Note to Mods: Is it possible to please merge the two postings, the system doesnt let me Edit the below post because it is 30 mins late.

Thanks to DCEite, pganapathy, carwatcher, drvhplyevraftr, lloydofcochin and sandeepmohan for the information and help.
Thanks to arvind.anand, vnabi, swiftnfurious, niranjanrvce, drmohitg, RavenAvi and kirantp for your information in another thread on "honda city versus ford fiesta".
Thanks to amalji and powertrain for answering my questions on Etios.
Thanks to drvhplyevraftr for the discussion on Optra.

I've finally chosen Toyota Etios VD.

The reasoning is as follows:

1. The variants that had abs, dual airbags of Suzuki SX4 ZDI, Fiat Linea Dynamic, Skoda Rapid Elegance, New Verna and New Fiesta were all beyond my upper limit of 9 lakhs ex-showroom. Optra Magnum was a surprise last minute contender that came within budget because of hefty discounts. Swift Dzire, Mahindra Verito were never in consideration because of looks (dzire, verito), small boot (dzire) and no passenger airbag (verito).

2. Nissan Sunny ticked all boxes and came in my budget, but I can't wait for 4 months since I've already sold my earlier car. Sad situation, my mistake. Optra Magnum is a stunner in the interiors. However we didn't need a 2 litre powerhorse for our sedate city driving and moreover I heard Optra is nearly out of production.

3. Final shortlist was Fiesta classic SXi, Etios VD and Tata Manza. Tata was striken off because my earlier car was Tata Indica DLX w/ abs airbags and family didnt want another Tata. Plus I didnt like the burgundy and beige dashboard. Fiesta classic had poor legroom and smaller boot. Etios had the worst interior plastics, seat colors and terribly lesser features.

4. The last push to a decision was, as always the price! Etios VD was priced a clean 1 lakh less than our closest alternative - the Fiesta classic. I just imagined whatever I can do with this 1 lakh to improve the interiors and add more features in Etios (such as rear cabin light, leather seats, cushions for arm rests) and then there was no turning back.

My booking information is at this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post2728867

From the luxurious interiors of Optra, the refinement of Honda City to the driving pleasure of Fiesta, Skoda and finally to shortlist and sign up for Etios, was a quite a journey indeed.

My learning in this whole exercise is that the 'entry level diesel sedan' options are a little confusing because there is no clear line between C1 and C2 segments and it overlaps on price/features. The governments categorization based on car lengths <4.5m and engine displacement of <1.5L doesn't actually translate clearly into corresponding price differentials.

Based on ex-showroom price of the high end variant, are these the segments then?
C1 segment (< 8 lakhs): Swift Dzire, Mahindra Verito, Toyota Etios, Tata Manza
C1.5 segment (b/w 8 -9 lakhs): Fiesta Classic, Nissan Sunny, Optra Magnum(?) and Skoda Rapid(?)
C2 segment (> 9 lakhs): SX4)(?), Fiat Linea, New Fiesta, Fluidic Verna, Volkswagen Vento

Was investigating a diesel car purchase for a colleague and happened to come across your thread. Sorry, but I've been out of touch with what's available and at what price these days. Is the Optra Diesel still available b/w 8-9L? Last I heard, it was discontinued.

Also, another friend of mine is facing a similar dilemma w.r.t. Toyota Etios and the Ford Fiesta Classic that you faced earlier . However, he is downgrading from a C2 petrol sedan to a C1 diesel sedan. Both of us tend to agree that the Fiesta Classic Diesel is a better buy. I agree with you about the rear being a little cramped but from a looks, build quality and features and somewhat proven reliability perspective, I feel that the Fiesta Classic Diesel fares much better while giving same running costs. Also, the Etios rear legroom does not appear to be any better than the Fiesta. We figure that even if the Etios is cheaper, one has to spend on after-market accessories and still live with many factory fit items eg: plastics on which, nothing can be done. We also suspect that apart from the interiors, the overall quality is not completely up to Toyota standards though this could just be our perception.

The Nissan Sunny might be a better buy w.r.t. features and space but no one I know has one or recommends it for fear of it being a new entrant and having poor presence. Nissan really needs to work on establishing more dealerships.

Most Viewed