Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 13:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

03'/04' Corolla H2 vs 02'/03' OHC 1.5/vtec

Its time to change my Hardly driven daily ride which is the ikon 1.6zxi. Its been with me for quite a while now and times up for a change.
Iam not looking at any new cars because with my budget of 3.5/4lakhs nothing would come close in terms of performance in that price range. Hence am looking at the second hand car market.

Hence ive zero'd down on two of these cars.

03'/04' Corolla H2(M/t) vs 02'/03' OHC 1.5(M/t)/vtec. (Nothing else will do, So please no other car options)

Id like a couple of points from you guys as to which one would be a better buy and why.

My main points for a car would have to be :

Corolla VS OHC

1) Good performance,
2) Handling,
3) Stopping power,
4) Air con,
5) SAFETY in terms of High speed and features.
6) Spare parts,
7) Build Quality,
8) Comfort.
9) FE.
10) Cabin quality.

Iam ok with the Fuel average since ive got an ikon. Also Spares isnt a big deal again since ive got the ikon.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:38   #2
BHPian

It would be best to go for the Toyota Corolla, as the car came with a 1.8l 125bhp engine, its better built and more luxurious compared to the OHC. Moreover the corolla is a car to be compared with the Civic and not with a City.

PS- This thread is supposed to be in the 'What car" section.

Last edited by harishnair : 30th November 2009 at 13:51.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
It would be best to go for the Toyota Corolla, as the car came with a 1.8l 125bhp engine, its better built and more luxurious compared to the OHC. Moreover the corolla is a car to be compared with the Civic and not with a City.

PS- This thread is supposed to be in the 'What car" section.

Add to that the A.S.S. of Toyota which is any day better than that of Honda. Not sure if H2 has airbags/ABS but if it has then it has got to be Corolla. I think (read it in a mag) it's faster than OHC VTEC to a ton.
Old 30th November 2009, 14:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Both cars are from different segments.

There are plenty of Corolla's available for 4 - 5 lacs and I'd say a much better option.

It is tough finding a OHC Vtec in good condition. Most of them would have been driven hard and would be a 02 - 03 model whereas a Corolla would be a 05 / 06 model.

Go for the Corolla.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:30   #5
BHPian

My vote goes to Corolla. It has a bigger engine, quicker and faster, safer(airbags/abs) and the best after sales service. It is also bigger inside and feels more luxurous and comfortable. Maybe you will get bette FE in city.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Corolla definitely has better interiors & better air conditioning. And it is fast too. My choice is the Corolla.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:44   #7
BANNED

why do we even have thread on this. corolla it is all the way. simple math. your ego will again get hurt becuase the city wont go above 200 the corolla will so every sunday drive will be better. i thought as much this will be your thread from the title itself. plus you have a city and 2 swifts so corolla for a change.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:01   #8
BHPian

Man that Corolla looked nice, had beautiful interiors and drove like a dream. Unless you are going to go all out and mod the car, go with the Corolla
Old 30th November 2009, 16:07   #9
BHPian

Yeah! I agree with the rest! If you want comfort go in for the Corolla. The Ohc Vtec is not the one you are looking for! If you have plans to enter the dark world of modding, you should not be looking anything other than the Ohc Vtec!!
Old 30th November 2009, 23:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

OHC VTEC. How could I recommend anything else?
Old 1st December 2009, 12:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well I would say the question is not very difficult to answer if you have abt 4.5L to spend and it is also unfair to compare cars in different segments. The 2003 OHC Vtec is the best buy in the under 3L used car category and the 2004 Corolla is the best buy in the 4.5L used car category.

The Corolla is more recent, advanced and worth the price. Hence if you intend to keep the car for some time (2yrs+) then it makes sense to buy the Corolla. But in this case you will have to stretch your budget which is justified for sure.

On the other hand if you intend to buy a new car soon currently you intend to bridge the interim gap then the OHC would be a better idea as the investment would be lower which makes it worth it for the price again.

If you decide to go in for the Corolla (in which case i am assuming that you intend to keep the car for sometime, logically it has to be a 2004 - newer the better in terms of maintaenace and resale) I am not sure if you will be able to get hold of a 2004 full option Corolla in 4L. Hence you may have to compromise on the year/no. of owners/features which you shouldn't and so we can conclude that you would revise your budget to 4.5L and buy the 2004 full option MT Corolla.

Congrats in Advance Bro!!!!

Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 947
Size:  529.2 KB
Old 1st December 2009, 15:22   #12
BHPian

Not trying to sabotage the thread and lead to any war! But I would want to know?

1. What is the 0-100 time of a stock Corolla?

Overdrive had done some test on the vtec years ago with skinny 175 tyres inflated to above 40psi and in wet conditions and then it clocked some 9.93sec to the ton.

We did some VBOX testing on a stock car with only 195/60/14 tyres at 32psi on dry tarmac and it came to 9.65 secs.( The driver was ofcourse not an enthusiast. A perfect launch would have got it below the 9.5 mark and wish the vtec did 100kmph in 2nd gear).

2 I have driven many other car's but I dont understand? Is the OHC so unstable? Get new stock suspensions and put decent tyres (say 185's or 195's), belt the car to glory, I for one did not find any issues. What does one expect out of the OHC! The car to have awesome handling with crappy 175tyres and good suspension even after 60-70,000kms of abuse?? (assuming all currently vtecs would have done that many km's since production stopped in 2003). Show me one other (indian mfg.) car with stock suspension doing that??

3. Stopping power? Whats wrong with the stopping power of the OHC? IMO it has more than adequate stopping power (all the OHC owners will agree), agreed it does not have any safety features like the ABS but it ain't that bad guys!! Again, you need to change the rubber to a 185 or a195 to draw full potential!!

Maybe the corolla has better braking, I for one couldn't feel the difference.

4 Air con: I am happy with the ohc's aircon, like I had said before for comfort, its the corolla any day.

5.Safety: Agreed, corolla has abs and stuff its a tamed animal, ohc is a wild cheetah

6.Spare parts: I guess both are pretty much the same

7. Build quality: Yes Corolla does give you a better feel than the vtec for sure. No questions about that.

8. Comfort: Never argued, Corolla anyday. But IMO the seating position of the vtec is just brilliant..

10. FE: How much does the Corolla give when ripped daily? My vtec gives me nothing less than 10kmpl when ripped in each gear in the city, 14+ if driven decently and 20+ kmpl on the highway? Does the Corolla give the same?

11. Cabin Quality: add this to the comfort factory, like I said , corolla any day.

So comprehending from what I said, it looks to me that the OHC is a better "performance centric" vehicle. But that said, it's only my opinion.

Can someone please answer my questions?

Cheers
Shrey

PS: I haven't spoken anything about modded OHC Vtec's, I have left that alone cuz, then modded vtec's are a different ball game and I better keep my mouth shut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Well I would say the question is not very difficult to answer if you have abt 4.5L to spend and it is also unfair to compare cars in different segments. The 2003 OHC Vtec is the best buy in the under 3L used car category and the 2004 Corolla is the best buy in the 4.5L used car category.

The Corolla is more recent, advanced and worth the price. Hence if you intend to keep the car for some time (2yrs+) then it makes sense to buy the Corolla. But in this case you will have to stretch your budget which is justified for sure.

On the other hand if you intend to buy a new car soon currently you intend to bridge the interim gap then the OHC would be a better idea as the investment would be lower which makes it worth it for the price again.

If you decide to go in for the Corolla (in which case i am assuming that you intend to keep the car for sometime, logically it has to be a 2004 - newer the better in terms of maintaenace and resale) I am not sure if you will be able to get hold of a 2004 full option Corolla in 4L. Hence you may have to compromise on the year/no. of owners/features which you shouldn't and so we can conclude that you would revise your budget to 4.5L and buy the 2004 full option MT Corolla.

Congrats in Advance Bro!!!!

Attachment 237124

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 1st December 2009 at 15:38.
Old 1st December 2009, 16:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Corolla VS OHC

1) Good performance,
2) Handling,
3) Stopping power,
4) Air con,
5) SAFETY in terms of High speed and features.
6) Spare parts,
7) Build Quality,
8) Comfort.
9) FE.
10) Cabin quality.
Corolla does better overall. VTEC is more performance oriented and maynot be the right choice if you're gonna travel with your family.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 1st December 2009 at 16:13.
Old 1st December 2009, 18:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Corolla does better overall. VTEC is more performance oriented and maynot be the right choice if you're gonna travel with your family.

Shan2nu
Thats exactly what i was talking abt. Performance?? Shan2nu what are you talking abt. Do you know which is Dan's current car???

Looking at the fact that Dan is going the family way soon it has to be the Corolla.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 1st December 2009 at 18:18.
Old 1st December 2009, 18:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you know which is Dan's current car???
He's mentioned Ikon 1.6 in his post.

I didn't get your point.

Shan2nu
Closed Thread

Most Viewed