Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:19   #1
BHPian

The Battle of the Titans

As this is one of my first posts on team-bhp,I will take maximum care to avoid grammatical errors and mistakes.

So,we currently own a 1995 make 118NE but now the time has come to say goodbye to it.It has traveled 182,386 km till date and has been a good friend but from august of this year it has been giving so many problems that papa has now decided to buy a new car and keep this one for vintage value.

So,it must be a sedan (because mom loves them) & will be BLACK.

Running will be around 850kms/Month.

Priority-
Ride Quality>Mileage>Looks>Safety>Cabin Comfort&Engine>Handling

The choices for a new car (all in the range of around 8-13 lakhs) are:-

1>Chevrolet Cruze
No TD done yet

2>Fiat Linea
Positives-Ride,Stability,Handling Negatives-Cheap Interiors, A.S.S. ...overall VFM

3>All New Honda City
Positives-Looks,Peepy Engine,Honda A.S.S negatives-Staid Interiors,OEM Tyre

4>Toyota Corolla Altis
Positives-Powerful engine,Braking,Negatives-Hard to find

5>Honda Civic
No TD done yet

6>The New Maruti Suzuki SX4
No TD done yet

Now,I would like to invite all team-bhpians for their honorable suggestions.
Also if i have missed out any worthy competitor please let me know.

If any team-bhpian is in Calcutta , i would like to hear from them about A.S.S of Toyota,Honda,GM,Fiat which would help me in making a decision.

Thanking everybody in advance for their time

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th December 2009 at 15:37. Reason: Changed *** to A.S.S.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:24   #2

Hi Legend,

I was in the same dilema since last week and finally made my choice this week.
I was looking for a sedan (Petrol only) in C or C+ segment to replace my Ford Ikon 1.8D nxt and had TDs of Fiat Linea, Toyota Corolla Altis, Honda Civic, Skoda Laura, Maruti Suzuki SX4 and Mitsubishi Cedia.

To make matters easy for you, I would share my expirience of Honda Civic and SX4 and Cedia :-

Honda Civic
+ Sporty Look, Powerful Engine, Excellent Gizmo's, Honda Brand and Resale Value.
- Low Ground Clearance, Rear Seat Leg Space (compared to Corolla Altis and Cedia), Mileage, Over Priced.

Maruti SX4 (I TD only MT version as AT wasn't available for TD)
+ Ground Clearance, Mileage, Straight Line Speed, Maruti ***, Resale Value.
- Cheap Interiors, Ride, Stability

Mitsubisgi Cedia
+ Looks, Powerful Engine (2.0L Petrol), Ride Quality, Handling & Comfort, Cabin Space, Interiors & features.
- Resale Value, Spares availablity (which may become an issue given the low volume it sells)

Finally I had to choose between Cedia and Corolla Altis.
I have made up my mind and booked the Mitsubishi Cedia on 1st December, as Toyota doesnt have a dealer in Aurangabad, so Iwould have had to get the vehicle from the dealer in Pune or Nashik.
I just fell in love with the Cedia, spl. its looks, space, features and most importantly its sturdyness on rough roads. (I have driven it @ speed of 100 on a very rough road, where Honda guy refused to take the TD vehicle.) On top of it, the price at which this excellent package come to you, believe me its wort every single penny you pay.

You can search for Cedia threads on Team-BHP forums and you wont find a single disappointed Cedia owner.

I found the car (as a product) much better than even Honda Civic (personal opinion) which is 4 Lakhs costlier than Cedia.

I would suggest you decide between Corolla Altis and Cedia.

Good luck..
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:26   #3
BHPian

Add the Optra Magnum, Indigo Manza and Mitsubishi Cedia to this list.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:38   #4
BHPian

uhmm, why no Civic? if the roads are good then Civic should be up there, Corolla Altis is feature rich, has great engine reliability although, the interiors are terrible.

If you can afford it, why are you looking at the C- segment? the c+ segment is going to be much more comfortable, for eg. the Linea back seats are rather cramped.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:54   #5
BANNED

I agree with the previous post to a great extent. If you like the looks of the Cedia and do not mind a petrol car, the Cedia it is. Other petrol options are the Altis and the Laura.

Coming to diesel cars, you have the Optra Magnum and.....well the Linea and the Fiesta but I would not recommend them as you can afford a higher segment.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:58   #6
BHPian

Thanks Hits 80 but i am not sure of after sales service of Mitsubishi, especially in kolkata.
if anybody can help me here ,i would be glad

Thanks Airwind but TATA vehicles simply do not appeal to me.The optra magnum is good but somehow its front end styling does not come across as innovative or striking.

:-)
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:19   #7
BHPian

So anybody from Kolkata on Mitsubishi after sales service.Saw one cedia on the NH2 today.Didn't like its overall styling ,but will TD one next week hopefully.
And yes the reason for considering C- segment cars is plain and simple:-
If it comes with a punchier engine and a smaller size and better mileage than C+ cars then so be it.
Must be fun to drive though(my requirements), in any case AND should have a genuine wow factor(mom and dads opinion).
Another question ,is the civics steering any different from the ANHC in terms of technology?
If so,please illuminate thy ignorant brethren
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:53   #8
BHPian

Wait for Linea 1.4 Tjet

I would say wait for the Linea 1.4 T-Jet. It is being launched early next year (read 1st quarter). According to me it excels in all parameters you have mentioned (Ride Quality>Mileage>Looks>Safety>Cabin Comfort&Engine>Handling).If not then below is the order which is my preference.Corolla (Total peace of mind)Chevrolet CruzMitsubishi Cedia (VFM and again excels in all parameters you have mentioned)Honda CivicMagnum
Old 3rd December 2009, 20:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Its so simple if you want a Petrol car the best one you have listed is Honda Civic and if want a diesel dont look beyond Chevy Cruze.
Old 4th December 2009, 01:00   #10
BHPian

What about the low G Cs of both the cruze and civic??Isnt that an issue also??

Cruze and civic owners can enlighten me on this.

The cedia would have been a straight forward solution ,if availability of spares and after sales service were not a factor(looks also!!!),but i have not taken a td so will not comment any more.

Another reason why i am looking for the ANHC in addition to the civic is because of the mileage.
The Honda website says it is 16.5 km-pl(1.5 V-MT).Is it really achievable?

BTW,as i asked in another post ,is there any difference between ANHC and civic steering???

Answers,anybody....
Old 4th December 2009, 05:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

The negatives for the altis would definitely have to be the suspension.Its a class down.
Old 4th December 2009, 09:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

you like to keep your car for a long time. I would say Altis or a Civic is your best bet.
Old 4th December 2009, 10:23   #13
BHPian

Guys ,will TD both Cedia and Civic today.Hoping to reach a consensus by tomorrow.

Will post experience by evening.
Till Then,keep the suggestions flowing in
Old 5th December 2009, 18:56   #14
BHPian

Finally managed to TD both cedia and civic today.

Boy ,wasn't it an experience!!!

To keep the post short i will compare in paragraphs:-

The cedia came across as more precise in handling.
The Handling in the civic although way ahead of other cars felt a little bit underconfdent while cornering.

The Cedia at speeds of 110+ felt a wee bit less planted than the civic, IMHO.
P.S-This might be due to the td vehicle also,which had travelled around 70000 kms(on the odo).

The interiors of the cedia are a big let down compared to its price range.The fit and finish are OK but the styling is a little bit too minimal,IMO.

The civic will run out of juice much quicker than the cedia in a straight-line race in the highway,even though given an endless amount of empty road, it will probably overtake it again.Again this is conjecture based on experience driving other cars.
So, no hard feelings towards anybody.

Looks wise .Civic is way better looking and futuristic,again IMHO

The SX4(new ),Cruze ,Linea And Altis are out because of various reasons.
So, now as you can see i am locked in a crazy three horse race.
It will be either the cedia,civic or ANHC.

You guys tell me what it should be.and as is aid in an earlier post ,
KEEP THE SUGGESTIONS FLOWING IN
Old 5th December 2009, 20:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

If you have the budget go for Civic.
And no, Cedia cant beat Civic in a drag. I am sure you felt that way because Cedia's got a slightly better bottom end torque.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks