Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 14:49   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I have a friend of mine whose Laura had the following problems after 1 year of owning:
- Leakes deveopped in the car and practically water was leaking from Front and rear windshield
- So called European CD player developped snags due to water leakage from internal perforations.
- ABS developped problems and wouldnt function well.
- Disc brakes calipers snapped after 10000km and had to be changed.

Skoda A.S.S refused to accept these faults and my friend had to spent considerable money from his pocket and finally sold off the Laura encountering a huge loss.
He says its a good riddance.
He didnt claim warranty? the warranty is for 2 years..
Old 5th December 2009, 17:05   #17

Hi All,

I have just heard that skoda is providing 2 years complimentary insurance as well as a 2 years/ 30000 km preventive maintenance scheme besides their 2 years/ unlimited kms warranty on the Laura before they hike their prices. Is this a good deal or will the month of march give me a better deal as I have seen that skoda slashes the price of the Laura by around 70,000 rs to clear their stocks at the end of the financial year. Also what does the term "2 years/ 30000 km preventive maintenance scheme" mean?

Please advice
Old 7th December 2009, 10:45   #18
BHPian

crazycars,

Can you give more details about the 70,000 offer? here in Bangalore, the only offer I've been told about is free insurance for a year, which works out to be about 40,000. Where did you find information about the maintenance package? I will be closing a deal on a 1.8 TSI within a day or two, so any info you can give me will help me greatly :=)

Cheers!

imp!
Old 7th December 2009, 12:14   #19

Hi imp!,

The seventy thousand price slash was observed by me this march i.e march 2009 on the old laura. Regarding the new Laura, in New Delhi, they are giving 2 years free insurance and 2yrs/30000kms preventive maintenance ( I don't know what this means) besides the standard 2yrs/unlimited kms warranty. So that means an extra free insured year and the preventive maintenace in New Delhi compared to Bangalore. This offer is available on the Laura petrol also and for the past week they have been advertising it in the papers also. Maybe this offer is only for Delhi/NCR.
Old 7th December 2009, 12:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycars87 View Post
Hi,
I am intending to buy a new laura. The two very important parameters are
1) Fun to drive
2) A.S.S

I have already test driven the 1.9 Manual and i found it to be good enough to satisfy the first point but it is the second point that worries me. even though i am from Delhi and there are around 7 showrooms,
none of the owners seem to be happy.
I have heard simple spare parts are not available readily and sometimes the car delivered is defective.
since skoda provides only a 2 year warranty , I am worried.
Also which model to go for, Elegance or Ambiente? I am intending to buy a diesel version only and has to be manual, hence these two models only.
Also which is teh best skoda showroom in Delhi?
I had a Skoda Octavia 1.9Tdi for 7 years clocking 145000 KMS. The car as all know is build solidly and develops good speeds and the best FE in the segment.

The After Sales Service was a big issue as I got a feeling that the dealer was keen on making more profit in A*S*S* rather than selling the car.
Service Interval every 7500kms and at that time no warranty package was on offer. Each service costed me a bomb as they insisted on replacing something or the other. I was so fed up as the spare part rates were very high I started getting the car rectified from private service guys. (not authorised by Skoda).These people sold the same spare parts at half the price of what the dealer retailed at.

Overall experience of owning a Skoda brand car for 7 years I rate 7/10. The only drawback is expensive spares. Even a simple thing like rectifying the central locking for 1 door costs 10K. I enjoyed the drive a lot and if you maintain the car well by reguler service(shell out cash) it will not let you down. I was not stranded even once on the highway during the time I owned the car.

I have also driven the Laura(You may know this, Laura is the replacement for Octavia for the world market except India). Its certainly fun to drive and built solidly.

Before you buy the Laura I suggest you TD the Cruze LTZ. I sold my Skoda and bought this car last friday. Have clocked 1200KMS in 3 days and 1st service is due to tomorrow. Awesome is not the word to describe the driving pleasure of the Cruze. It developes great speeds in no time, the brakes are responsive and the car has an X factor which the Laura lacks. I mean the interiors are a segment above so is the equipment level. The 2.0 VCDi engine is way ahead of some of the Petrol heads, leave alone the PDI's. I checked with my cousin who owns the Captiva(same engine as the Cruze) he said its a low maintainance car. GM is offering 3years/100000KMS warranty package.

One other plus for Cruze is that this model was developed by GM and not a borrowed tech from Daewoo Korea as was the case with Optra.

Let us know what have you decided on soon.
Old 7th December 2009, 12:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I have just heard that skoda is providing 2 years complimentary insurance as well as a 2 years/ 30000 km preventive maintenance scheme besides their 2 years/ unlimited kms warranty on the Laura before they hike their prices. Is this a good deal or will the month of march give me a better deal as I have seen that skoda slashes the price of the Laura by around 70,000 rs to clear their stocks at the end of the financial year. Also what does the term "2 years/ 30000 km preventive maintenance scheme" mean?

Please advice
The preventive maintenance scheme should get the service costs (including consumables like oil, etc + Labour) covered for the specified period / XX,XXX kms. Albeit, this might not cover any spare part replacements like blown turbo, clutch kit etc. Can you confirm the terms, conditions with your dealer & also please post the specifics for everyone's consumption here?

Cheers
Old 7th December 2009, 13:59   #22

[quote=sameer sultan;1620164]I had a Skoda Octavia 1.9Tdi for 7 years clocking 145000 KMS. The car as all know is build solidly and develops good speeds and the best FE in the segment.

The After Sales Service was a big issue as I got a feeling that the dealer was keen on making more profit in A*S*S* rather than selling the car.
Service Interval every 7500kms and at that time no warranty package was on offer. Each service costed me a bomb as they insisted on replacing something or the other. I was so fed up as the spare part rates were very high I started getting the car rectified from private service guys. (not authorised by Skoda).These people sold the same spare parts at half the price of what the dealer retailed at.

quote]

Nowadays they are giving a 2 years/unlimited kms warranty and a service interval of 15000kms as against your 7500 kms which does make the maintenance part a bit easier than before. I have driven the new Laura but am yet to drive the cruze which I will be doing shortly.
Thanks a lot for your advice and looking forward to hearing from you again on how your car is performing and about your service experiences.

Thanks
Old 7th December 2009, 14:16   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
The preventive maintenance scheme should get the service costs (including consumables like oil, etc + Labour) covered for the specified period / XX,XXX kms. Albeit, this might not cover any spare part replacements like blown turbo, clutch kit etc. Can you confirm the terms, conditions with your dealer & also please post the specifics for everyone's consumption here?

Cheers
I have enquired about the preventive maintenance scheme and you were right, it covers all service related costs like oil change,filter change,coolant etc for two years which is not bad at all considering how expensive skoda servicing is. They also said this is most probably valid till December 31 and after that there is a price hike
Old 7th December 2009, 14:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hi imp!,

The seventy thousand price slash was observed by me this march i.e march 2009 on the old laura. Regarding the new Laura, in New Delhi, they are giving 2 years free insurance and 2yrs/30000kms preventive maintenance ( I don't know what this means) besides the standard 2yrs/unlimited kms warranty. So that means an extra free insured year and the preventive maintenace in New Delhi compared to Bangalore. This offer is available on the Laura petrol also and for the past week they have been advertising it in the papers also. Maybe this offer is only for Delhi/NCR.
Yeah I dunno about the preventative maintenance package (no one in Bangalore knows anything about it); I'm getting 40,000 off the car (free insurance for a year) and pushing for an upgrade to 16" tires (worth Rs30,000); If I get this then I get the same deal as you guys are getting over there. Although, thanks to our lovely sales tax on cars in Karnataka, I'm going to end up paying 15.7 lacs for the car on road (this is without any offers); so I'm getting shafted anyways.
Old 7th December 2009, 19:36   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
thanks to our lovely sales tax on cars in Karnataka, I'm going to end up paying 15.7 lacs for the car on road (this is without any offers); so I'm getting shafted anyways.

Wow!
For that price we get Elegance in Delhi. A petrol Laura costs around 13.7 lakhs in Delhi. this means a cool 2 lakhs more in Bangalore? Why so much tax man!!!
Old 7th December 2009, 19:50   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow!
For that price we get Elegance in Delhi. A petrol Laura costs around 13.7 lakhs in Delhi. this means a cool 2 lakhs more in Bangalore? Why so much tax man!!!
And in Chandigarh OTR cost is Exshowroom price+ insurance + ~2500 Rupees road tax.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Wow!
Well, since we don't seem to have roads in Bangalore, I can only assume that either Chai Nashta is more expensive in Bangalore or else the Babus are just greedier =)
I think our road tax is 17.5 % or some such nonsense...the cost only goes on becoming higher and higher as one goes up the food chain.

Most Viewed