Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 18:41   #1
BHPian

Please help me decide between these 2 OHC's

Hi guys
I have been a member here for quite sometime and have spent nights reading various threads but never posted anything as i did not have a car.Now i am planning to buy an OHC and need advice from all the knowledgeable members.
i have shortlisted 2 cars as of now.
1) 2002 dec model 1.5 exi single owner,owned by a friend, 55000 kms done,pioneer head unit,kicker rear speakers,sony amp and jbl bass tube,total system costing 17000rs.The car once crashed into a tree on the left side and the repairs costed around 1lakh which involved replacement of the left side front door and fender and while driving one can feel some vibrations through the steering wheel.The front suspension also needs overhauling and the car has some small dents on the lower portion of the doors.the o2 sensor has also gone bad and the check engine light is on.the thing that attracts me towards this car is that it has done genuine 55000kms and the engine is in good condition.the price he is quoting for this car is 2.15 lakhs.

2) 2002 august model 1.5 vtec,2nd owner,106000kms done,the car is completely stock and not involved in any major accidents.it has got the stock alpine stereo but no cd player,stock speakers.the seats and the dashboard are in good condition but the carpet is quite dirty but i guess dry cleaning the interiors would sort that out.the clutch pedal feel very heavy which means the clutch is at the end of its life but when i drove the car and redlined it in the first two gears i could not feel the clutch slipping at all which makes me think that it might just require clutch cable replacement or lubrication.even with the heavy clutch the acceleration was much better than my friends 1.5 exi and the engine sounded awesome at high rpm.the downsides of this car are that the exterior is in a not so great condition,the rear bumper is torn at 2 places and would require some adjustments and repairing,front right headlight would require replacement,the original vtec alloy wheels would require refurbishing.what pulls me towards this car is the vtec engine which is in great condition and the fact that it has not been involved in any major accident.the price quoted by the owner was 2.5 lakhs but with a bit of bargaining he agreed at 2.27lakhs.

Now i am in great confusion and need some suggestions,i feel more inclined towards the vtec mainly because of the engine.i know that the car is a bit overpriced at 2.27L but then i dont really mind paying 10-15k more for something as special as a vtec.also i have plans to do some modifications in the next few months like automech FFE,some nice ICE and a complete black paintjob so getting the vtec with the average condition exteriors shouldnt be a problem.also i know that the car might also need some immediate work done and have kept aside 35000rs for the same.
So guys please help me decide between these 2 cars
Old 4th December 2009, 19:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is this a trick question? Obviously you should go for the VTEC with your eyes closed. 100k km is nothing for a Honda engine. Chassis damage is likely on the Exi model, not to mention the fact that it would have probably crashed more than once, owing to the kind of money spent on this single accident.
Old 4th December 2009, 19:26   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi,

In my opinion, from what you mention, the Vtec seems to be the better option as mechanically all the parts seems to be in pretty fine condition and only cosmetic refurbishing needs to be done, bumper can be changed, headlight, alloys can be painted , etc (should fit within your budget)
A nice shampooin of the carpets should solve the dusty problem, if not just go ahead and get it replaced, !

ICE can always be added on, the basic car if its OK, it should be good enough, anyways Honda engines are bulletproof and VTEC is the stuff of legends !

I once owned a 2nd hand 2001 model Vtec which i used & sold at 70 K kms without any issues sighhhh, brings back fond memories, does it !
Old 4th December 2009, 20:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Is this a trick question? Obviously you should go for the VTEC with your eyes closed. 100k km is nothing for a Honda engine. Chassis damage is likely on the Exi model, not to mention the fact that it would have probably crashed more than once, owing to the kind of money spent on this single accident.
Thanks for the advice guys.any idea how much does the rear bumper,single front headlight and clutch replacement cost if done at a private garage.Delhi and gurgaon members,please suggest some garage and shops where i can pick up original honda parts at prices lower than the prices qouted at honda A.S.S.
Old 4th December 2009, 21:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Depo headlights go for around 3.5-4k for a pair. OEM Stanley ones will probably go for around 7-8k. The bumper is actually 3 pieces, so you will probably be able to replace a single piece and get it painted in the same color for a lot cheaper. I've heard single pieces going for around 1.5-1.8k.

No idea about clutch replacement.
Old 5th December 2009, 04:04   #6
BHPian

The Vtec mileage is a bit high, and accident cars should be avoided at all costs, since its 1 lakh damage must have been major and to the structure of the car so that rules itself out.

Look out for some more options, you should be able to get 60000-70000 mileage at ok prices. Since dealers routinely tamper meters and its difficult to tell best to buy from a owner/someone you know, there are major ohc experts in Gurgaon from Teambhp who can assist you, seek them out.

Please remember even a car in good condition will require spends simply because of the age of the OHC. Please be patient and you will get a good car. And add 20-30k to the cost of the car to get it going smoothly, and 15 k more if tyres require replacement.
Old 5th December 2009, 13:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
The Vtec mileage is a bit high, and accident cars should be avoided at all costs, since its 1 lakh damage must have been major and to the structure of the car so that rules itself out.

Look out for some more options, you should be able to get 60000-70000 mileage at ok prices. Since dealers routinely tamper meters and its difficult to tell best to buy from a owner/someone you know, there are major ohc experts in Gurgaon from Teambhp who can assist you, seek them out.

Please remember even a car in good condition will require spends simply because of the age of the OHC. Please be patient and you will get a good car. And add 20-30k to the cost of the car to get it going smoothly, and 15 k more if tyres require replacement.
i went through the ads in the newspaper and through different websites,but still couldnt find any other vtec for less than 3 lakhs and 80-90k kms on odo and i dont want to spend that much because its obvious that even if i buy a vtec with 80k kms done i will have to spend atleast 30-40k to get some basic things like suspension,steering and clutch overhaul done.The vtec i am considering has a very smooth engine and steering.so i guess its not a bad buy at 2.27L.I am thinking of going ahead and finalising the deal tomorrow morning if i am unable to find another option today.
So,i would request all the delhi and gurgaon members to please let me know asap if anybody they know is selling a decent condition non-accidental vtec or 1.5 exi type 2 for around 2.5L so that i can check out the vehicle today.
Old 6th December 2009, 16:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion both options are too expensive.

You can easily get a 50 - 75k km on the odo OHC for about 2 Lacs ( 2002 / 2003 ) model.

In fact try looking hard and you may even get the first model of the NHC for about 3.5 lacs.

Gurgaon has loads of cars listed in carwale if you search.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks