Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2009, 17:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilvr View Post
Thanks for your inputs guys.

Cedias and Optra Magnums are really hard to come by.
I'm not really a fan of the NHC which is why I didn't mention it in my first post. I don't exactly like the way it handles, which also reminds me of reading a comment by a tbhp-ian earlier - that he'd rather drive a washing machine on wheels than the NHC. No offence.
I TDed a Fiesta and had this strange issue - Every time I put my foot down on the clutch all the way to the floor, the steering columns hits my foot if I'm turning the wheel. Anyone else had this problem? And I do love the way the Octavia drives, the build quality, the diesel 'factor' etc. I would get it in a heartbeat, if hadn't read all the threads on Tbhp about Skoda's pathetic A$$.
After all weighing out all options I've narrowed it down to the Corolla or the Verna CRDi. I know these aren't to be compared, but apart from being different classes and one being petrol, everything else fits my criteria. Just waiting to TD the verna.
Any head-to-head comparison between these two??
I have the driven the Verna a lot, Its surely powerful but the steering over light, the ride too soft & bouncy at speeds and handling not so good. Even the Corolla is too much tuned for comfort.

Cedia, Magnum and Elantra CRDi are much more fun to drive than the cars you have shortlisted.
Old 7th December 2009, 19:20   #17
BHPian

I see a lot of people recommending the Elantra CRDi, which honestly, I haven't given a thought about. The numbers on paper are impressive, but the exterior styling is not. After reading up a couple of ownership reports, it seems like it would fulfill all of my requirements. Maybe I need a TD which would help me get a perspective beyond the way it looks.

On a side note, the Octavia has always captured my imagination. The only thing that's stoppig me from getting one is stories of their under par service and expesive spares. I think a decent 1.9T wouldn't be hard to find in my budget. Can anyone give a rough idea on the maintenance cost?
Old 7th December 2009, 19:47   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont find something terribly wrong with Elantra's styling. Posting some pics.
Upgrading from a Baleno-i5805.jpg
Upgrading from a Baleno-i6172.jpg
Old 7th December 2009, 23:20   #19
BHPian

Elantra exteriors, to me was always good. It was never explosive but I had liked it except for the grill part which connects me to Santro.
Interior - I felt very old, Hyundai should have spruced up the interior longtime back.

But its great on road and the CRDI smokes on the highway.
Old 8th December 2009, 02:50   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
Interior - I felt very old, Hyundai should have spruced up the interior longtime back.

Though the Exteriors are plain jane, Interiors were best in class when it was sold. Only Civic which was launched later had better interiors.

Have a look, Only a few cars can match this car's ergonomics. Everything from gearlever to handrest to footrest is perfectly placed.
Name:  int.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  46.2 KB
Upgrading from a Baleno-i5808.jpg
Upgrading from a Baleno-i5807.jpg
Old 8th December 2009, 06:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

How your current Baleno is doing? Any particular reason you want to get rid of that?

I suggest you to be patient in your search & get the car from individual guys or do extensive verification before you get one from dealer. Take your time when you try to make out a deal from dealers, talk to service station (Company), verify the service/vehicle history & evaluate the car through a technical competent person.

Used Cars - Search used cars available for sale in India - CarWale.com goes the list of cars available in Chennai

Last edited by Surprise : 8th December 2009 at 06:53.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Just one thing I have noticed here - everyone seems to be recommending a Cedia and Elantra CRDi here.

I guess what people miss out here is the would be buyer is from Chennai.

Now with the car crazy state in mind - finding these already 2 rare cars in the used car market is Mission Impossible and then if he does find one the price will be so exorbitant that he might as well buy a new one

I agree both the Cedia and Elantra are absolute fine cars to drive. I am a big big fan of a Cedia and have been trying to find a used one since the last 3 years. Earlier there were so many available in delhi BUT suddenly there seem to be not a single one in delhi !!

Elantra CRDi's are too rare to found in the used car market and the ones I found they were so bad in shape that it was just not worth it.

However if you still manage to get your hands on one then by all means go ahead and buy it.

Else your choice of COROLLA / VERNA CRDi is a good one. I'd still say go for a Corolla.
Old 8th December 2009, 17:33   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Chances of finding a Elantra CRDi is very rare as its a diesel car and most owners who bought it had higher running.
Old 8th December 2009, 19:06   #24
BHPian

.anshuman, you are right the interiors of Elantra are ergonomically a super fit. I was more talking about the look and feel of it (grey color and switches, knobs), which I felt dated. Again this is my personal opinion.

In Chennai I saw 2 elantras 1 white and 1 black for sale in the past 1 month. The black one was at Lanson Toyota at the ECR. The car has run 40k and the asking price was some 3.5 or 4 lakhs. I dont remember the year.

I had gone for an Endy Test drive (Used one) and this car was there very attractive, I guess they had just done a waxing or something.

Last edited by Car&me : 8th December 2009 at 19:08.
Old 8th December 2009, 19:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Elantra exteriors, to me was always good. It was never explosive but I had liked it except for the grill part which connects me to Santro.

Yea, you nailed it. It's the grill that puts me off, but it's something I can live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
How your current Baleno is doing? Any particular reason you want to get rid of that?

I suggest you to be patient in your search & get the car from individual guys or do extensive verification before you get one from dealer. Take your time when you try to make out a deal from dealers, talk to service station (Company), verify the service/vehicle history & evaluate the car through a technical competent person.

Used Cars - Search used cars available for sale in India - CarWale.com goes the list of cars available in Chennai
The Baleno has been gone for a while. Had a TC and my folks forced me to get rid of it. I'm currently driving another beater Baleno that's in the family.
I have a couple of friends who deal cars, so I can be sure of the car/deal I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Just one thing I have noticed here - everyone seems to be recommending a Cedia and Elantra CRDi here.

I guess what people miss out here is the would be buyer is from Chennai.

Now with the car crazy state in mind - finding these already 2 rare cars in the used car market is Mission Impossible and then if he does find one the price will be so exorbitant that he might as well buy a new one

I agree both the Cedia and Elantra are absolute fine cars to drive. I am a big big fan of a Cedia and have been trying to find a used one since the last 3 years. Earlier there were so many available in delhi BUT suddenly there seem to be not a single one in delhi !!

Elantra CRDi's are too rare to found in the used car market and the ones I found they were so bad in shape that it was just not worth it.

However if you still manage to get your hands on one then by all means go ahead and buy it.

Else your choice of COROLLA / VERNA CRDi is a good one. I'd still say go for a Corolla.
You're right, Cedias are hard to come by. But I did come across one Elantra which was in decent condition, but the color was a deal-breaker (Gold).
From what I've been seeing / hearing the Elantras are not too hard to find in the used car market here.
Old 8th December 2009, 19:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:

In Chennai I saw 2 elantras 1 white and 1 black for sale in the past 1 month. The black one was at Lanson Toyota at the ECR. The car has run 40k and the asking price was some 3.5 or 4 lakhs. I dont remember the year.

I had gone for an Endy Test drive (Used one) and this car was there very attractive, I guess they had just done a waxing or something.
How long ago was this? Let me call them up tomorrow...
Old 8th December 2009, 23:15   #27
BHPian

It was ateast a month back, its probably sold now.

Trying to look at the listings, found this on Hindu classifieds.

2005 Elantra CRDI - 4 lacs - contact 9840953737. There is a 2006 as well.
Old 8th December 2009, 23:54   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

2006 onwards the Elantra got some changes like Bumpers without black strips, body coloured beadings on doors and Leather seats available without option in topend diesel.

If you are able to find some good Elantra please note down the VIN no and get it checked at some hyundai service centre for service and repairs history, also to verify the actual mileage. I might help if you are not able to find some trusted service centre. All the Hyundai service centers have online record of all the cars service history.
Old 9th December 2009, 09:47   #29
BHPian

When I tried to get the service history before purchasing the car, the service center guy told me that am still not a Hyundai customer and that the car belonged to somebody else - so they wont share that data with me! Since I dealt with a dealer and didn't have the owner with me, thought this was probably the way they work - or is it?

However, I knew that guy personally so got him to check and test drive the car before purchase - but are service centers open to share information?
Old 9th December 2009, 13:13   #30
BHPian

I think thats a healthy practice not to divulge information about someone's car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks