Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2009, 11:46   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
with JD and Miyer,
i am rest assured that my contessa can live longer.
thanks to you, both friends.
i am in the process of ironing out all my problems, and will post an update soon.
cheers.
Any time KS!!!..let me know if there is a hurdle and i will help you sort it out.
cheers,
Mike
Old 5th January 2009, 17:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
Thanks JS!!! ..I do have a very well maintained 1989 petrol car.Will be in hyderabad in Feb and we can catch up for some coffee and conti....
looking forward to seeing you! keep me updated on your plans. i also have a 1968 mercedes, which i'm sure you will enjoy seeing. the condition isnt great, but it still is a masterpiece. its an E 220 (W115 model).
Old 5th January 2009, 17:23   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Any time KS!!!..let me know if there is a hurdle and i will help you sort it out.
cheers,
Mike
Mike and JD at any contessa owner's service! let us know, and we'll do our best to help
Old 5th January 2009, 23:53   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaideepshinh View Post
looking forward to seeing you! keep me updated on your plans. i also have a 1968 mercedes, which i'm sure you will enjoy seeing. the condition isnt great, but it still is a masterpiece. its an E 220 (W115 model).
Hey thanks JS....!!! Great so Merc + coffee..

The 220 W 115 V 22 is a hardy piece of engineering produced from 1968 to 1976. It is the childhood image of an expensive luxury car and unmistakeable looks being boxy, muscular and unique Headlight Mounting and front design and made a clean break with the era of car with tailfins with its unitary body.

The rubberparts, beadings, upholstery,cosmetics and a bit of sheetmetal in the water logging areas is all I think even a heavily used car will have hoping your car is in better shape.

The four-cylinder M 115 carburettor in-line engine with two overhead valves per cylinder and an overhead camshaft 2.2-litre displacement (77 kW/105 hp) is a song to drive and set the innovation and design for today’s E class.

Also it was the first Mercedes-Benz production car to have a rear axle with semi-trailing arm. The diagonal swing axle and a torsionbar stabiliser as standard with auxiliary rubber springs was an advancement from the singlejoint swing axle.

Moreover the car has a chassis which then made it easily customizable to suit all utilities including a pickup truck and even today can get the body off and work on both members independently.

So it’s a great piece of engineering!!!

Cheers JS… would like to know more of your W 115..share some pics if possible.
Old 5th January 2009, 23:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Mike and JD at any contessa owner's service! let us know, and we'll do our best to help
Cheers JD..!!! lets see more contis on the road..!!!
Mike
Old 8th January 2009, 20:29   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks JS....!!! Great so Merc + coffee..

The 220 W 115 V 22 is a hardy piece of engineering produced from 1968 to 1976. It is the childhood image of an expensive luxury car and unmistakeable looks being boxy, muscular and unique Headlight Mounting and front design and made a clean break with the era of car with tailfins with its unitary body.

Cheers JS… would like to know more of your W 115..share some pics if possible.
looks like you've gone into more detail about my car's suspension than i have! my car isnt in the best of conditions. needs a repaint and some bodywork...+i have a leak from the water pump right now:-( problem here is i havent found a single merc spares shop in hyderabad... also there are very few mechanics who dont really shred the car in their vain attempts at repairing it. i had the time earlier to work on it- nowdays i rarely find time...

btw, the car was rated at 106 horses :-P truly is a piece of engineering. i'll show you the detailing when we meet...

Note From Support Staff - Please avoid quiting full long post
Old 9th January 2009, 09:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
looks like you've gone into more detail about my car's suspension than i have! my car isnt in the best of conditions. needs a repaint and some bodywork...+i have a leak from the water pump right now:-( problem here is i havent found a single merc spares shop in hyderabad... also there are very few mechanics who dont really shred the car in their vain attempts at repairing it. i had the time earlier to work on it- nowdays i rarely find time...

btw, the car was rated at 106 horses :-P truly is a piece of engineering. i'll show you the detailing when we meet...

Note From Support Staff - Please avoid quiting full long post
Hey JD ,

Let’s start a thread on the W 115 since this will be unfair to the conti lovers. The pump is easy to fix and can remove it and use some flexible packing to fix it. Problem is if it is from the bearing end and the seal is leaking, also can hear if the bearing has any unusual noise by keeping a sufficiently long screwdriver on the pump end and stick the other end (handle) into your ear, I guess you know this technique, like the doctors stethoscope, it will tell you many a things about the innards of rotating parts.
I know if you are stuck with time and the motivation to get in under the hood, it becomes a little difficult to get the work started.

The motor industry always quotes the highest round off they can get on a power rating as a marketing stunt and the 77kw precisely translates to 105.49 hp and quoted as 107hp.

mike
Old 9th January 2009, 21:10   #38
BHPian

its just a seal, lets start the new thread. i'll start it soon.
Old 12th January 2009, 10:17   #39
BHPian

Some more Pics-Conti

All the conti fans..more treats for the senses..some lovely pics of the conti

The Arial shot gives the true proportions of the car and the light is playing on the deep drawn midnight blue and flakes colour.

The Getsetgo/Angle is at a steep kerb to the road and again the lighting all to her side showing the chrome and colour.

Countryroads is a little older on Nice Road.

mike
Attached Thumbnails
Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-arial.jpg  

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-angle.jpg  

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-getsetgo.jpg  

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-countryroads.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st January 2009 at 12:31. Reason: font tags
Miyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 22:14   #40
BHPian

after reading through this entire thread i must say my knowledge and LOVE for the conti has increased!!! thanks miyer for sharing your immense knowledge on this wonderful car!!! very well appreciated by conti enthusiasts like me!!!
Old 20th January 2009, 18:34   #41
BHPian

Fantastic car there!! I own a Contessa 1991 model.. any inputs with the modifications would be appreciated!

Quote:
[FONT=&quot]All the conti fans..more treats for the senses[/FONT]..some lovely pics of the conti

The Arial shot gives the true proportions of the car and the light is playing on the deep drawn midnight blue and flakes colour.

The Getsetgo/Angle is at a steep kerb to the road and again the lighting all to her side showing the chrome and colour.

Countryroads is a little older on Nice Road.

mike
Old 21st January 2009, 09:06   #42
BHPian

Hey.. thanks again guys..its very encouraging!!!
In fact Anuj was here last evening to see the car and get a ride..he was thrilled and I could see it in his eyes.
We need many more people to revive this dying car.. to own and appreciate this machine and not let the remaining ones to be broken down into scrap around the country.
cheers,
Mike
Old 21st January 2009, 09:10   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?ushk@r View Post
Fantastic car there!! I own a Contessa 1991 model.. any inputs with the modifications would be appreciated!
Hey why dont you put up some pics..weill get a good look of the car and perhaps lets us know the things you will like to fix..I can then recomend the necessary action that you can work on to make your car any better.
cheers,
mike
Old 21st January 2009, 10:19   #44
Team-BHP Support

Mike, have you raised your car off the ground? The gap in the wheel wells is massive.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:12   #45
BHPian

Hi Adi,

No.. it is the stock height. When the suspension was redone and I put some fresh rubber bushes on top and bottom of the springs (Original). Moreover you don’t realise these spaces in a normal paint job since the wheel wells are painted black or body colour. I painted it white to highlight the wheels and the body contours which are visible beyond the wheel. It’s also a good indicator to keep them spotlessly clean by having it white and prevent any rust.

Increasing the height with a spacer is not a good idea since it interferes with the roll of the body (CG) and also parts like the union joint, brake hoses, handbrake cable, fuel lines, begin to strain under the abnormal stress produced due to the increase height. Although all this can be altered to accommodate the increased height.

Moreover it will be difficult to fit the pan-hard rod since it always cuts an arc of a fixed length and the increased height means fitting an adjustable PH rod which can be custom built or purchased readymade.

Aesthetically the tank and spare wheel box show from the rear and the steering rack and lower arms show from the front and gives a not so good look.

You have one of the best maintained contis in town Adi.. and I have see the pics on TBHP many times. Are you planning any major overhauls? Keep me posted if I can be of any help.

Cheers,
Mike

Most Viewed