Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 18:09   #76
BHPian

conty thread

nice idea ' starting athread exclusively for contessa'I have a 94 model 1.8 GLX, planning to put a isuzu diesel g1 engine so that i could use for my daily run, appreciate is you could suggest engine vendors in Pondy/TN who stock direct imported engines...
can u post few pictures of ur conty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
Miyer, Aditya,
i propose to start a new contessa thread, with all compilations of expert opinions, plus DIY plus minute mechanical details about refurbishing a contessa.
------
i wish to say only 2 things about conti's - 1. sheer road presence plus abundant interior space and 2. the isuzu petrol, can make some latest cars eat our dust, in the highways, which is always exhilarating.

cheers.
Old 19th March 2009, 21:27   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555 View Post
nice idea ' starting athread exclusively for contessa'I have a 94 model 1.8 GLX, planning to put a isuzu diesel g1 engine so that i could use for my daily run, appreciate is you could suggest engine vendors in Pondy/TN who stock direct imported engines...
Hi RJ555,
If you can manage an IE code you can import a brand-new Isuzu Diesel G1 engine from many manufacturers from china. If you look up the net there are many vendors and it should be possible to get one down easily since you on a port city.
Here you go some more pics of my conti.
cheers,
Mike
Old 19th March 2009, 21:48   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555 View Post
Gosh missed the pics in the earlier post.Sorry guys I will post it as soon as I have a better line.I am unable to upload the files because of a bad line.
Cheers
Mike
Old 20th March 2009, 09:29   #79
BHPian

Here you Go..!!! I will have a couple of more in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-1.jpg  

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-2.jpg  

Miyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2009, 09:32   #80
BHPian

The Dash, and the Rear. They are a couple of months old but the car is in the same shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-3.jpg  

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-4.jpg  

Miyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2009, 09:39   #81
Senior - BHPian

Miyer thats one hot and shiny conti
any plans to add rims,tyres?
Old 20th March 2009, 09:43   #82
BHPian

Hey Akki,
Thanks dude..!!! I always wanted a stock build and so never thought about alloy wheels. Although i did get prices for wire-wheels and it was too expensive so ditched the plan. I am sure it would have looked very nice with wire-wheels.
Cheers,
mike
Old 20th March 2009, 10:36   #83
BHPian

Thanx Miyer, appreciate your immediate response,
im looking out for imported engine which has run abroad, local dealers bring as scrap & resell here, chances of getting good engines, i remember fitting a G1 isuzu in my amby way back in 98 & the engine lasted me for 2 lac odd kms trouble free. that dealer is out of business & could not find a authentic vendor in chennai,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
Hi RJ555,
If you can manage an IE code you can import a brand-new Isuzu Diesel G1 engine from many manufacturers from china. If you look up the net there are many vendors and it should be possible to get one down easily since you on a port city.
Here you go some more pics of my conti.
cheers,
Mike
Old 20th March 2009, 11:15   #84
BHPian

Hey RJ,

I will be in CBE next week and meeting another Conti owner. He is also looking for alternative diesel power plants. CBE is a good place to find these engines that come via Tuticorin or Kochi. I remember driving a fully moded landmaster that my late uncle used to own with a Toyota engine way back in 92 in CBE and had gypsy disks and Khoya Seats, Super king-Sanden- A/C, Powersteering and everything gizmo you wanted on a car.I still remember the no being MDB ****.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 1st April 2009, 12:45   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
Hey RJ,

I will be in CBE next week and meeting another Conti owner.
-----
Cheers,
Mike
hi miyer
any updates on your travel plans, waiting to hear from you.
Old 1st April 2009, 22:26   #86
BHPian

Hey RJ,
I am unable to PM you my plan RJ..in any case i will be there in 2 weeks from now and will call you.
Cheers
Mike

Last edited by Miyer : 1st April 2009 at 22:28. Reason: Unable to PM member
Old 1st June 2009, 14:33   #87
BHPian

Hi Miyer. I am contemplating on buying a Contessa. I do not know anyone personally who owns one or any mechanic. I found a classified which quoted,
"I want to sell my Contessa 1.8GL in stock condition, done just 10000km,fancy no 8181 completly restored n dupont original grey repainted in air conditioned booth ,complete interior door pad floor mats every thing is brand new. Interiors have been modified recently with new seat covers, new gaskit fitted, radial tyres, AC gas filled recently, chrome beedings and tinted glasses..."
It is a 1991 car. He is asking 90 grands for it. I would like to have your inputs before I even go check out the car.
I mean to use it on a regular basis, at least during the monsoons. I commute ~20 km to and from office. Do you suggest a Contessa for such a requirement?

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:29   #88
BHPian

Hi there,
It entirely depends if you are a complete conti fan and want to use the car like a regular car to work and don’t worry about the unusual dimensions of the car given the traffic and roads in Bangalore.

If you like the car and you’re convinced to own a conti, then it’s a different story. But if you are an average car guy and looking at an average car to commute to work then please make a serious consideration. It is no more a regular street car and will need your care and attention in case it breaks down; for parts and upkeep. So decide for yourself.

Cheers,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
Hi Miyer. I am contemplating on buying a Contessa. I do not know anyone personally who owns one or any mechanic. I found a classified which quoted,
"I want to sell my Contessa 1.8GL in stock condition, done just 10000km,fancy no 8181 completly restored n dupont original grey repainted in air conditioned booth ,complete interior door pad floor mats every thing is brand new. Interiors have been modified recently with new seat covers, new gaskit fitted, radial tyres, AC gas filled recently, chrome beedings and tinted glasses..."
It is a 1991 car. He is asking 90 grands for it. I would like to have your inputs before I even go check out the car.
I mean to use it on a regular basis, at least during the monsoons. I commute ~20 km to and from office. Do you suggest a Contessa for such a requirement?

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:20   #89
BHPian

Thanks for the input Miyer. I cannot call myself "a dedicated conti enthusiast" alone, as I generally like cars and I like classics more. As far as I reckon from what you say a Contessa cannot be used as a primary car.

But what about the price the guy quoted for his 1999 Contessa Classic 1.8 GL?
Old 3rd June 2009, 20:48   #90
BHPian

Hi Gooney,

90K is a good price provided all that the guy says has been done on the car and you also need to pay attention to the on the mechanical parts like Engine, Transmission , Suspension, Brakes, Steering ect to make sure you will not have any surprises (Which you will surely have) and thats the challenge of ownership.

I also know of cars that have been painted in the “Aircondition Booth” (Perhaps he is unaware) and have started to rust because of a bad paint job and process followed.

So if you have some excess cash, want to own a ( Indian classic), willing to drive it once or more a week (City/Country) & really enjoy the ride, the attention you get of an unusual car, willing to take the pain of sitting in garages, sourcing parts in case something breaks down or settle to repair it the Old School ways then I guess you can make a serious consideration.

Wish you good luck and hope you join the team….!!!!!

Cheers,
M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
Thanks for the input Miyer. I cannot call myself "a dedicated conti enthusiast" alone, as I generally like cars and I like classics more. As far as I reckon from what you say a Contessa cannot be used as a primary car.

But what about the price the guy quoted for his 1999 Contessa Classic 1.8 GL?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks