Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 22:17   #1
BHPian

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?

Dear Friends,
First, Thanks for keeping this great site going on "GREAT".

I need all your advices on buying a contessa 1.8GL (Petrol).
the car is 1988 model, with valid insurance for another 6 months, and the RC book renewed till 2013. all tyres are atleast 60% with tread depth, and it is a single owner driven car. it also has power windows and a national air con, with an audio cassette player,radio. the battery has been changed now recently, and the overall kms run is only 69000 kms, till date, which is very authentic as i know the owner personally, for a decade. now the car is up for sale, and he has quoted a price of around 50K for this, as it is condition, which you can see from the attached photos.
the negatives, from my inspection :
1. rust, tinkering needed to front right, and rear left doors, and maybe the running boards, floor needs some small small holes, welded.
2. the rear bumper has some rust at the underside.
the positives, verified authentically :
1. single owner driven car. accident free history.
2. original coat of paint, from 1988.
3. 88BHP isuzu petrol engine with mikuni carburettor.
4. good airconditioner - cools the cabin really well, in ten minutes.
5. power windows which really work, smoothly, fitted nearly 19 years back.
6. suspension, clutch, a/c compressor - all minor works done recently, some 6 months back.

Friends, please advise me, whether this car is worth the asking price, as i am planning to buy a jeep - mahindra major(Buy 2nd hand, and alter it to look like the major souvenir. my daily running is around some 30 kms, with regular trips to chennai, from my home town, pondicherry - every weekend, so a total of some 2000 kms (maximum)per month.

although i am seriously a jeep fan, looking for a jeep, i am obsessed on seeing this contessa, after reading all about the car in TEAM_BHP.

My Doubts :
1. is rs.50,000/- the asking price, really worth ? i have seen some used contessa diesels for around the same price ?
2. will running the contessa have any major mechanical problems ? are spares available, even now ?
3. what will be the best and worst KPL for the petrol contessa ?
4. will suspension need regular expenses, in the contessa, as some people say ?
5. can a power steering kit be fitted in this petrol model (even though the steering is light) ?
6. will buying this car, make any pollution related scrapping, from the government, as i propose to use it for atleast some 2 or 3 years more ?
Attached Thumbnails
Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-conti-1.jpg  

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-conti-2.jpg  

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-conti-4.jpg  

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-conti-5.jpg  

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-conti-6.jpg  

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-conti-7.jpg  

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?-conti-8.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 2nd August 2008, 00:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Gurus can give you detailed information. However, I am curious as to how does one settle the price of cars like these that are rarely available. Isn't emotional value more than actual value in this case?

The 1.8 litre Isuzu engine was a great cruiser! I remember some highway rides on it. The diesel Contessa was not a match as far as performance is concerned! I know running cost is high, but I would prefer the petrol. AFAIK the 1.8 GL shared the same engine with Ambassador 1800 ISZ carb version and many of them are still around. Don't know about suspension etc, though.
Old 2nd August 2008, 02:46   #3
BHPian

friends, gurus, please advise me correctly, as i am in a dilemma, not bcoz of the cost, but mostly about the spares, maintenance, and suspension overhauls ? and also, if the govt. might scrap the validity of the car, citing pollution, and model, year of manufacture ?

for 80K, i am realy getting decent mahindra commander jeeps, with hardtop, around 1998 models. i am not sure about the engine, whether it is a peugeot, or MDI engine, but the dealer say the commander jeeps give atleast 12 kmpl. is this fact true ?

actually the owner has left abroad, leaving the car with his friend. the main reason the car came up for sale, is that the car owner (and also the friend) does not have any space, to park this contessa, and above all, practically no use for the car. in 1988, maybe he would have bought for around one lakh and fifty thousand, and he was not a man to look about fuel efficiency, but only comfort. the mechanic who looked after this car's maintenance, says that the owner used to check the efficiency of the aircon, with a thermometer, whether the cooling is really 20 degrees, or something like that. regarding the maintenance of the car, the mechanic vouches for the 69000 kms, but i think it must be really 1,69,000 kms, to be practical, considering the 20 years age. the car is at present in the friend's farm house, with really no driving, from the past month.

but, seeing this car, at once made me go berseck, fall in love, thinking of psycho's & aditya's conti's, and such. for another 50k, above the price of the car, it can actually, made to be a real mustang - indian muscle car.

i had already charted out some plans for modifications, (if i get really "yes" from the gurus) which you all might think crazy. but anyway, let me shell out ...
1. 15 inch alloy/steel wheels ? with wider tyres ? will the gypsy rim, and 205 or 215/70R15 tyres, fit in the contessa wheel wells ? what is the PCD for the contessa ?
2. K&N air filter, for a free flow of air to the carb. will replacing the stock air filter, suffice ? or will the intake also, has to be changed, with the conical air filter type ?
3. porting, polishing the head, for a smoother engine. any tips, help, please ?
4. i feel the original brakes, good, but still, i prefer to upgrade the braking system, to a more powerful bite ? really, really, advices needed in this aspect, sincerely.
5. suspension upgrade or overhaul to fit the 15' wheels,tyres ? what technical aspects to overlook, on this subject ?
6. a screaming yellow paintwork, with black wheels, bumpers, etc.,.

friends, please dont think, i had gone insane, on all this blabberings - but i really felt hooked on this car, after a nice, fast, 10 km test drive, which made me go gaw gaw over this machine !!!!!!

and lastly, my doubts, clarifications, also....
1. is the cooling fan, in the isuzu engine, thermostat controlled or is it running always, connected with the engine ?
2. there is no additional fans, visible, before the radiator, for the aircon. is this setup, correct ? or, do i need to install another electric fan, seperately, for the aircon ?
3. if 15 inch wheels cannot fit in the contessa, what will be the maximum width, the original 13" rim can take ?
4. how can i fit a power steering, for this car ? will the diesel engine's power steering unit, fit exactly ? or any modifications ? some mechanics say that the diesel engine's PS can fit exactly, while another mechanic says that the mitsubishi lancer unit will fit in the petrol contessa ? the diesel PS is available for around 8000 rupees, ofcourse, second hand only, but overhauled, with a minimum warranty. is this adviseable ?

lastly, but not the leastly, can any of you friends, gurus, contessa fans, send me the pics, and modifications, about the Kirloskar Contessa, about dilip desai ? i had read about him, and his yellow conti, in a very old car and bike international magazine, if i am correct ? dilip desai, from pune ? with the kirloskar sponsored contessa rally car, with koni shocks, highlift cams, and all............any small informations, will surely be appreciated ! Thanks, Bye, Folks, have a nice day, actually, nice weekend ...
Old 2nd August 2008, 13:47   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you know the owner personally and can vouch for the 69K genuine well-cared-for kms, I'd say go for it. You'd be hard pressed to find good cars for Rs.50,000 or under.

Quote:
1. is rs.50,000/- the asking price, really worth ? i have seen some used contessa diesels for around the same price ?
Yup.

Quote:
2. will running the contessa have any major mechanical problems ? are spares available, even now ?
Well, its a 20 year old car and will naturally require higher maintainence than say, a 10 year old M800. Expect some annoying niggles here and there on a frequented basis. The 1.8 ISZ is a bullet-proof engine and will stay (generally) maintainence-free. However, the suspension, electricals etc. will require work. Don't dump the clutch. I have broken the drive-shafts of 2 contessas this way.

Quote:
3. what will be the best and worst KPL for the petrol contessa ?
8 in the city and 11 on the highway, if I remember my days with the Contessa correctly.

Quote:
5. can a power steering kit be fitted in this petrol model (even though the steering is light) ?
It will cost almost 50 - 60% of what you are paying for the car. Totally avoidable. Avoid the other modifications too; first drive the car for a couple of thousand kms and use the $$$ to bringing her back to mechanical perfection.

Quote:
6. will buying this car, make any pollution related scrapping, from the government, as i propose to use it for atleast some 2 or 3 years more ?
No problem for the next 2 - 3 years. Anyways, the RC Book is renewed until 2013 so you are treading on safe ground here.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2008, 22:12   #5
BHPian

Thanks a lot mr.GTO for your well biased replies.
1. regarding the power steering, one of my friends had already fitted (second hand, but refurbished unit from another old diesel contessa) for rs.8000/- he also says the lancer's PS can also fit in the conti, albeit a little extra cost (around 12k). the contessa petrol is light when driving in speeds, but parking, slow traffic situations, make it a little bulky, to handle. thats why i have asked suggestions about the PS kit, sir. does any other PS kit fit in the isuzu petrol ? please clarify.
2. regarding the KMPL, the previous owner claims that the car has given consistently 12 to 14 KMPL with 100% airconditioner usage, in highways, which was what the car was driven mostly. the previous owner stays only 6 months in india, with his regular trips from pondicherry to tarapuram, and coimbatore, some 350 kms away.
3. although the mechanic says it has run only 69,000 kms, it is hard to digest this fact, practically. considering the previous owner doing a paltry 1000 kms for a month for 6 months in a year, it accounts to nearly 1,20,000 kms, roughly. so, i think, the odometer reading should be really had run 1,69,000 kms. considering this much kms, will the engine give any major troubles, in future ?
4. regarding the clutch, the mechanic showed me, the new imported clutch, which the previous owner had fitted in january 2008. so i think, it will not be a problem. also the electricals, and all other accessories, work really fine, on the test drive. apart from the clutch, what will be the major maintenance related problems, in the contessa petrol ?
5. does the suspension need regular checkups, replacements in the contessa, which most people say that it costs a lot to overhaul the suspension of the contessa. but frankly speaking, i have found the suspension, of this contessa, to be really like the latest cars, even 20% more comfortable than the latest midsize cars in the market. please advise on this aspect, also.
6. i am ready to spend another 50k, on this car, to make it really look, and also perform atleast half of what mr.Keshav(psycho)'s car was ? thats why i am seriously considering the change to bigger broader tyres. will this make any undue handling problems ?

Mr.GTO, i am a great fan upof you, and your posts, and it is "you" who made me a big fanatic of the jeep. actually, i was always looking for a short wheelbase jeep, either the classic (almost not available, now) or the mahindra major, with the MDI Turbo engine ?

and lastly, sorry for the elaborate writeup, but .....
a local dealer has offered me a 1998 model commander hardtop jeep, with peugeot engine, for 70k ? is that a reasonable buy ? i am decided that either a jeep or the contessa ? the MM540 and major models are not available (literally non existent) in my city, and the surroundings, but a lot of commanders are available cheaply. what would be your suggestions ?

i thank you for your posts on fuel efficiency aspect, which all people care for - when the real aspects to consider practically are maintenance, spares availability and driving comfort. i am ready to lose the 10-20% fuel efficiency, for driving satisfaction. actually, i am a hard driver, who squeezes the last horsepower from every car, i drive. safe, but always try to redline - in every gear.also use the engine braking without fail, in my driving. actually this (downshifting to the correct gear, using the brake concurrently) has saved me umpteen times, from major accidents, in the past. is this habit, bad, by correct driving terms ? please clarify.

Have a nice day, Mr.GTO.

Note from Mod - YOu have posted excessive smilies which have been edited out. Please go through the rules before posting again

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd August 2008 at 17:47.
Old 26th August 2008, 19:18   #6
BHPian

Dear TeamBHP Members,
i have finally decided to buy this contessa 1.8GL, for the final price of 48,500/- and the car is rightnow in the mechanic's shop, for checkup, oil service, et al...
i am glad to inform you this good news, as finding a contessa in such pristine condition is very rare, so decided and plunged into this venture.
i need your advises, experiences, knowledge sharing - on :
1. what is the PCD of the contessa wheel rims ?
2. will the gypsy rims fit in the contessa wheel wells ? if not, which car's 15 inch wheel rims will fit in the contessa ?
3. can the ford fusion's tyre - 195/60R15 fitted in the gypsy rims, fit in the contessa instead of the original 185/80R13 tyres now ?
4. from what i saw, in the distributor, the conti has the electronic ignition, company fitted ? does i need any additional performance accecory to enhance the firing ? what would be the spark plug ratings - best suited for the conti ?
5. i have quotations from chennai pudupet area, for the original HM Contessa Isuzu Unit's power steering unit - fully refurbished - for rs.8,000/- is this worth ? will any other car's PS fit in the conti ? some people say that a lancer's PS will fit exactly in the isuzu petrol engine ? please advise ...
6. there is no extra fan for the airconditioner - condenser unit ? what make, cost - will fit in the contessa's engine bay ? with aircon on, the conti's temp gauge remains at 90 degrees, which i think is a little on the higher side ? also, the cooling efficiency of the aircon is not so desireable in the city running ? what to do, to enhance the cooling efficiency ?
7. what type of K&N or Green Cotton Air Filters - will enhance the free breathing of the contessa'a petrol engine ?
8. where can i get gas filled shock absorbers for the contessa ? can you folks suggest me, any modifications to have a trouble free suspension ? any alterations ? changes ?

Gurus, please share your experiences, contacts, to make my conti a muscle car ? thanks in advance.
Old 31st August 2008, 22:10   #7
BHPian

HI congrat's on buying the conti.... I'm a proud owner of a 1999 diesel model with PS and PW factory fitted where in mumbai its realy fun driving a conti and love the attention i get from the people looking at it.. (specialy girls).

Dont change the suspension's just check for the bushing wear and check the rear suspencion.(not the coil spring but the suspension) where in mumbai you get a bushing kit for around 3k and labour abt 1.5k as my suspension were great had to only change the rubber bushing and with regeard's to the clutch plate assembly in mumbai cost's abt 3.5kto 4k with the pressure plate.

The air filter would like to advice you to see a person who know's to fit and tune a card with KNN air filter as it will go well with the conti carb.
Old 2nd September 2008, 02:24   #8
BHPian

thanks hellboy, for your nice comments.
the attention you get is quite egoistic, and also amazing. people look at you, like a super driver, if you drive the contessa with little speeds, and when you parallel park, correctly. i think, its bcoz of the sheer size, and so people actually respect, when you get out of this car. i love this attention very much.

secondly, i had some fun, blasting past buses, cars like scorpio,innova,skodas too, in the highway, people astonished to see such a huge car, whishing past them, that too, within seconds,.... my petrol conti, overtakes as though it is on NOS boost.

some advices needed, please :
the brakes seem to be not so confidence inspiring at sppeds above 100 kmph. any upgrades, modifications, parts - needed ?

right now, my conti, is undergoing full service schedule, from bumper to bumper, including the anti rust treatment, underside. i will post the pics, soon, maybe nest weekend.

again, thanks for the enthusiastic words of appreciation.
Old 2nd September 2008, 22:26   #9

Hello Everyone.. I Am New Here.. I Would Really Really Appreciate It If Someone Could Tell Me Where I Can Find A Contessa In The Ncr Region. Price Is Not A Problem.. I Have Been Looking The Old Fashioned Way, I.e., Roaming The Streets, For The Past One Week. I Have Found 3. None Were On Sale Though. I Dont Have Any Particular Model In Mind. Anyone Would Do. Its Just A Craze I Cant Give Up. My Dad Said He Would Buy It For My Birthday Which Is In A Week.. So Help Of Any Sort Would Be Greatly Appreciated.. Thanks A Lot In Advance..
Old 11th September 2008, 02:29   #10
BHPian

The Pcd of the conti is 114.3 five bolts and just to warn you it is very very hard to find mags which would directly fit the conti (still not found here in mumbai) you either have to take it to a leath guy and change the pcd to the one of a skoda or some other 5 bolt pattern pls do not change the 5 both design to 4 bolt one it look crapy and if you are trying to fit 15" go for 205/50r15 it will look realy good and about the power stearing try to nego the price it good if its a full fitcheers:
Old 14th September 2008, 11:16   #11
BHPian

Hi everyone,
I guess you have already got some very practical and excellent advice and suggestions.

1. what is the PCD of the contessa wheel rims ?
Wire wheels are available but cost 10 k for a single piece. It is a perfect fit for the Conti hub and will look like one of the American built GM cars.Again wire wheels have their own set of problems and require a good amount of maintenence for trouble free life.
2. will the gypsy rims fit in the contessa wheel wells ? if not, which car's 15 inch wheel rims will fit in the contessa ?
NO- Custom alloys can be cut in a CNC shop aqnd case hardened for durability and x-rayed for crachs and defects on AL alloy blanks or orderd from some reputed wheel makers from US and Austrtalia.
3. can the ford fusion's tyre - 195/60R15 fitted in the gypsy rims, fit in the contessa instead of the original 185/80R13 tyres now ?
All mods are possible and will come with its own set of issues wrt to handling and upkeep of the car.
4. from what i saw, in the distributor, the conti has the electronic ignition, company fitted ? does i need any additional performance accecory to enhance the firing ? what would be the spark plug ratings - best suited for the conti ?
Use the standard plugs from the company if you want a stock car. If you are going for extensive mods we can talk about the kind f plugs and piston and port mods later.
5. i have quotations from chennai pudupet area, for the original HM Contessa Isuzu Unit's power steering unit - fully refurbished - for rs.8,000/- is this worth ? will any other car's PS fit in the conti ? some people say that a lancer's PS will fit exactly in the isuzu petrol engine ? please advise ...
Yes the PS unit is available anyware from 8 to 10 k and it is good to get it from a realiable source since it is an important part of the car. Not that its faliure will cause andy catastrophic results but you will be left with a lot of oil mess to handle and a stiff steering in the middle of a drive.If it can be inspected on the car it is fitted and will be broken and extracted while you are around it will be good since you can get all the parts like the main pully and all the compressor mounts and the half round bolts for the ram.I shipped a nice unit to another BHPian from bangalore to delhi recently and he was very happy after he fitted it.
Also ensure the pully sizes of the compressor.They are margainally different for the diesel and petrol cars and care has t be taken while fitting the unit for alignment and correct seating of the compressor and the ram.
Make sure you also replace the tierod ends since the PS units are put to additional work since it is eazy to steer and people use to the full extent while parking.
6. there is no extra fan for the airconditioner - condenser unit ? what make, cost - will fit in the contessa's engine bay ? with aircon on, the conti's temp gauge remains at 90 degrees, which i think is a little on the higher side ? also, the cooling efficiency of the aircon is not so desireable in the city running ? what to do, to enhance the cooling efficiency ?
Please fit an additional fan on your condensor immediately. In ideal conditions the temp should not go above 70 degrees even in places like chennai. You have to also check for gas pressure and also over heating problems like timing and radiator condition.
7. what type of K&N or Green Cotton Air Filters - will enhance the free breathing of the contessa'a petrol engine ?
The existing airfilter is a paper based dry type filter and the powerplant has no issues getting the requsit air in with the stock unit. Mods are your call and there are a number of options available.
8. where can i get gas filled shock absorbers for the contessa ? can you folks suggest me, any modifications to have a trouble free suspension ? any alterations ? changes ?
Please replace the bush kit and get them pressed in a good lathe works and use new pads on the top and bottom of the springs to level the car and also reduse body vibrations from the metal contact.also remove the springs and do a height check with a digital wheel alignment machine by keeping it in the place of the wheels and can tell you the precise height to the last mm.
Miyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2008, 11:39   #12
BHPian

Hi Seanhyams,
I have identified a couple of cars and can help you find one in Bangalore.My advice in going for a car restoration project is to get a car that is already in a decent shape, since it saves you time and a hell of a money in getting a bad car fixed and with a spares problem makes it more difficult.
It is easy to fix a fairly maintained car and spend on the mods by shelling out a little more while purchasing the car.
Regards,
Mike.
Old 14th September 2008, 19:04   #13
BHPian

Dear Mike,
Thanks for answering all my doubts, questions.
really, i owe you, for this.
Are you the owner of the Black Contessa, which was on sale, a few months back, from bangalore ?
it was superb, and lovely, to see such a gleaming, perfect machine .... keep it up, mike.
thanks once again, for your responses.
some more clarifications :
1. what will be the widest tyre the contessa wheel wells can accomodate ?
currently my car has 185/75R13 tyres of MRF make.
i am not changing the wheel rims, but ....
2. i have fitted a PS from the diesel contessa, bought from pudupet, chennai, for rs.8,000/- including labour and fitting charges. the car feels very light, but still not as light as a tata sumo, or a scorpio. still there is some resistance, in the steering movement... some roughness.
3. i called mr.somendar singh of mysore - who does grooving in the head of IC engines. but he told that the grooving cannot be done in the contessa due to some engine design. so .... do you have any modifications to have a more fuel efficient contessa ? my conti gives me 9 KMPL in the city, and 11-12 kmpl in the highways without aircon... using the a/c, decreases the mileage by another km, and also some loss in the initial pickup.
4. i could not understand what you told about the springs. although my conti's suspension is good, there is some amount of squeaks, noises from the rear. on crossing a big speedbreaker, the front sometimes, very rarely, bottoms out, with a thud. is this normal, or do i need to refurbish my entire suspension system ?

thanks once again, dear mike, for all your valuable advices.
Old 14th September 2008, 22:19   #14
BHPian

Hi Shekaran,
I appreciate your response and the queries. You are indeed a genuine conti lover.

1. what will be the widest tyre the contessa wheel wells can accomodate ?
currently my car has 185/75R13 tyres of MRF make.
i am not changing the wheel rims, but, the stock tyres (165/80-13)are always good and designed with a lot in mind. But, some upsizes go well with the overall dynamics line like the one you have now. I have cooper with some excellent thread pattern and a rating of 185/70-13 and works well.The contis smoothness also comes from the high riding rubber than low profile tyres and the tyres do a good job in day to day handling unless you want to execute some rally driving and cornering. Low profile tyres handle better in such situations on tarmac. If the tyre width is extreme, then you will have problems in the front and rear since the stock "J" of the wheel disk has low clearance to the front tie-rod end and also the rear panhard rod.You will need spacers on the hub or a wheel disk with and outward J.

2. i have fitted a PS from the diesel contessa, bought from pudupet, chennai, for Rs. 8,000/- including labour and fitting charges. the car feels very light, but still not as light as a tata sumo, or a scorpio. still there is some resistance, in the steering movement, some roughness.
As i mentioned earlier it is good to get a piece right out of a car in running condition if you can be on the spot while the demolition is going on. I have sourced 2 units already in this way and both seem to work well. Generally the PS kit has a long and trouble free life and is build to service well. Perhaps if the cylinders have had a stone hitting them or an accident and some misalignment there will be stiffness since although there will be pressure from the hydraulics on the ram there will also be pressure loss from a gap in the plunger/ram and will be an internal one with no visible signs outside. Also the pump is an important component in the system and has to be perfect to give out the necessary pressure.check for oil seals and oring all round and also jack up the car and turn in no load with engine off to check for any roughness...it might give you an idea of whats happening inside the tube. The new kit is available and costs Rs.52K off the shelf and that's damn expensive.

3. i called mr. somendar singh of mysore - who does grooving in the head of IC engines. but he told that the grooving cannot be done in the contessa due to some engine design. so, do you have any modifications to have a more fuel efficient contessa? my conti gives me 9 KMPL in the city, and 11-12 kmpl in the highways without aircon. using the a/c, decreases the mileage by another km, and also some loss in the initial pickup.
Conti is not a car to drive for milage. please don't mind my opinion and I understand you want both worlds of a great car and economy of running it.
Is your car an MPFI or carb model, we can then discuss how to get more from less.

4. i could not understand what you told about the springs. although my conti's suspension is good, there is some amount of squeaks, noises from the rear. on crossing a big speedbreaker, the front sometimes, very rarely, bottoms out, with a thud. is this normal, or do i need to refurbish my entire suspension system ?
The contessa is all about its suspension. take the suspension off and its not worth anything.Tell me a car that sticks to the road at 110 on a sharp curve and the passengers don't even know you came out of one. This is attributed to the layout of the cars suspension and the wheelbase and several other components in its uniquely designed suspension for reliability and safety that put this car into one piece below that mass of metal on top. If it bottoms out you need to replace you coils and bushes and the dampers which are very important to the front and rear.Means you will need a full suspension job.Get it done and you will not regret it. The squeaks are from dry or worn out bushes and metal to metal contact and is an indicator of a suspension job. Most car washes use used oil for under-chassis protection after a wash.
For all those reading this post please take this very seriously."Please do not get used oil under your car at any cost". The oil dissolves rubber and you will have frequent suspension problems. Always lubricate rubber parts with brake fluid- Most cardinal rule in servicing rubber parts of a car. Even squeaking fan belts can be silenced using a drop of break fluid on the pulley or directly on the belt.
Miyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2008, 11:43   #15
BHPian

Dear Mike,
Thanks for your excellent - well depth replies.
Actuallly, You are a genuine Contessa Physician, like mr.keshav@Psycho.
I am Glad to have Advices from you, Very Precisely, Thanks Again, Mike.

The PS feels good, no undue stiffness in the vehicle idle position, but still there is some roughness, as i said, for which - my mechanic says - "sir, pls use the car for another 1000 kms, and you will have a much smoother steering, bcoz the oil seals, which have been refurbished, will be tight, when new ...." - so, is this true ? according to him, the PS unit was checked, and all oil seals, gaskets changed, and the PS assembly fitted in my car. he is giving an unofficial 6 month gaurantee, if any problem comes out of the system....

regarding the suspension, i am going to change all the shock absorbers, both front and rear. the bushes, have now become smooth, after i had a clean water wash and lubricated with grease. my mechanic uses grease, instead of old engine oil, for underbody lubrications. is this ok ? please advice ?

the coil springs height is ok, in my contessa. i am sure of this, bcoz, i have visually confirmed my conti, with another diesel contessa of my friend, which stands a little lower than mine. also the rear is low in height, in the diesel conti. the wheel well to tyres distance in the diesel and my contessa are appreciably noticeable, so is my assumption correct ?

My Contessa is a 1989 model, 88BHP version, with the mikuni Carburettor. please share your ideas, suggestions, to make a more fuel efficient car .... i do not mean to have 15kmpl, or something like that .... pls understand, that i am also enjoying the "greatest" comfort of the contessa, in terms of driving pleasure, smooth suspension, great road presence, mighty road grip, et al ... but also a little consious that i too drive a good car, that is not polluting this earth. i am writing this, so elaborately, bcoz, wherever i get this subject discussion, all people say that the petrol conti gives only 6 or 7 kmpl, its a gas guzzler, like these ....which may be to some extent true. apart from this aspect, the diesel conti of my friend, easily gives 19-20kmpl on highways, when i drive a little sedately, within 100kmph speeds. comparing an average of 18kmpl@rs.37/litre of diesel to 11kmpl@rs.47/litre of petrol - makes me think to do something, to make running costs lower ...

lastly, thanks mike, for all your valuable time and suggestions, have a nice day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks