Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 01:23   #1
BHPian

City vs Fiesta1.6 vs Fiesta 1.4 vs Swift vdi - brain vs heart problem

Can someone please help me with the maintenance figures for the cars i have chosen? Trying to do some calculation and got stuck with maintenance figures.

- city 1.5 v MT
- fiesta 1.6 zxi
- fiesta 1.4 zxi
- swift vdi

Its a typical brain vs heart problem for me now. All these cars are within my reach depending on how much extra i pay over my company's car scheme limit. Brain leans towards swift and heart leans towards city. Added a new matrix with a what-if analysis (what if i bought this car instead of that) and the difference between swift and city is way too much for the heart to overrule the brain. Any help is very much appreciated.

note: i am poor with numbers so if there are mistakes please do point me out..

Last edited by irdevanand : 8th December 2009 at 01:25.
Old 8th December 2009, 02:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread and quite some calculations there. A thread to watch, for sure.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Service cost for 1.6 ZXi Rs. 20000
1.4 ZXi Rs. 30000

I think this is bit high, as Ford has now got 24 months or 1lakh kms (whichever comes first) warranty and Extra Warranty (by paying about Rs.8500/-) for 3rd and 4th year or total 1.5lakhs kms (whichever comes first). With this warranty for 4 years straightaway, imo,the service cost will definitely come down?
Dont you think?

re mileage - you have taken the mileage only for city driving?
if highway + city with 100% A/c, people are getting around 11+ on a 1.6ZXi?
Old 8th December 2009, 12:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting sheet you have there. Looks like you really are trying hard to find out which car you would buy based on the calculations.

Apart from the calculations there are a few things you have not pointed out. Important missed out thing is - Do you have a family / kids ? If yes - then the Swift is ruled out. A sedan it should be.

Also you have said the maximum you will do a year is about 15000 km's which is reasonable for a Petrol Car - Buying a Diesel is not important at this stage.

My suggestion is get a Fiesta 1.6, ANHC is a much better car BUT I'd frankly say with all the calculations and finance options and mantainance costs you have kept in mind. The difference of almost over 3 lacs between the 2 cars is way too much.

The Fiesta is an absolute bliss car to drive with the Fun Factor thrown in. The price is real good and Ford's service is not that bad now.

Just my advise Ford Fiesta 1.6 it should be. Get it now and you should get a few really sweet deals too.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Interesting calculations there

my ANHC gives me ~13.xx FE, i drive approx 50 KMs every day (when i go to office), I have driven till now 10600+ KMs in 7 months.

till now 3 complimentary services have cost me (= 0 + ~27xx + ~14xx = ~32xx), I assume it will undergo another service prior to 1 year completion, add another 2600 RS = <6000 per year.

in my opinion 4 years is a too less a time for calculating return on investment or total cost of ownership, I would certainly interested to look at the calculations for a 5 or 7 years period.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 8th December 2009 at 12:50.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Apart from the calculations there are a few things you have not pointed out. Important missed out thing is - Do you have a family / kids ? If yes - then the Swift is ruled out. A sedan it should be.
Very true. Interior (usable) space is very different in each of these cars.
Old 8th December 2009, 20:27   #7
BHPian

are you sure you have made the correct calculations for Swift VDI's fuel cost?
It runs on Diesel and probably you have not discounted this fact(and the probable hedge against fuel inflation)
Old 8th December 2009, 20:48   #8
BHPian

i see your calculations is largely based on costs only. Does comfort, reliability , peace of mind hold some value in your spreadsheet. I think you should give some value for the after sales service, spares cost..etc.,

how come Verna and dezire doesn't figure at all in your choice list? Quite surprising.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 8th December 2009 at 20:50.
Old 9th December 2009, 11:18   #9
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Have updated the sheet with your inputs. Its going to be a swift or city race. Wife dislikes swift. Took her on a TD in Punto, Fiesta, and Civic. After the Civic drive she is refusing to consider anything other than Honda. Feels that city is a small version of civic and that will do for another 5 years minimum. (ps - i love Civic and would buy it with eyes closed if i had another 4 lacs)

Regarding some of your questions
- Family : Just me and my wife.
- Cost vs other factors such as reliability etc: Finalized to these four based on the other factors and now choosing one based on what is good for my hard earned money !
- Verna/Dzire : Dzire is a compromise, not a car. Verna looks outdated.

Old 9th December 2009, 11:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

That is a good calculation, looks more that what i did 8 months ago when i tried to buy the car.

I think the decision for you is already made it seems, Wifey RULEZ.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

That was serious blunder you commited !!!
(Taking your wife for TD in a car belonging a segment higher than the one you are targeting)

Now you are left with no option but to go for ANHC. End of story.

Have you considered other options:
- Linea Petrol
- Manza Petrol
- Chevy AVEO

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 9th December 2009, 14:43   #12
BHPian

Rohan, we both work in same company. She saw you post and just dropped by to show your two smileys. Still laughing. Good ones. Yeah i agree the TD was a blunder.

Regarding the three cars you mentioned i have TDed aveo and dropped it for no reason other than being GM (should we simply call them Daewoo? Aveo was Daewoo Kalos right?). Manza - I have a personal sentiment not to go with indigo (lost a friend in an indigo few years back and still cant dare to drive that thing). Linea still has a soft spot in the heart but turn back and see all c segment cars rolled by fiat - siena, petra etc - i would wait for linea to prove it before buying it. Admiration guaranteed, what about peace of mind ??

Regads
Dev
Old 9th December 2009, 15:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Regarding the three cars you mentioned i have TDed aveo and dropped it for no reason other than being GM (should we simply call them Daewoo? Aveo was Daewoo Kalos right?).

Regads
Dev
Dev: Whats there it it being a GM/Daewoo? GM's foray under the chevrolet brand has been good and they are doing well continuously improving from their launch. Their products are good and their 1 lakh km warranty is among the best deal we get here. There are no major concerns about the Aveo,Spark or Optra from the users. You can see many good reviews from owners.
Old 9th December 2009, 15:47   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK Fiesta 1.4 is not sold anymore.
Old 9th December 2009, 15:48   #15
BHPian

Fiesta 1.6 ZXi Leather option with year end discounts. fixes all your calculations. Thats the one you are looking for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks