Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2009, 18:37   #1
BHPian

From ANHC / ALTIS to hatch

I am typing this in outlook to avoid detection of excessive use of team-bhp in office.
Back to my story. I was all set to book my ANHC after a fierce battle between ANHC vis-à-vis Altis.
Then came the sudden realization of going in for further studies as didn’t like what I was doing and was spending more time on team-bhp rather doing my work in office.
So I am looking for a cheap car that I’ll use for a few years (2 years or so) and then dispose off and then later upgrade to my dream car. This way I’ll use my money to fund my further studies.( which I was going to use to completely fund my ANHC cash down)

At the moment I have nothing in mind with respect to hatches, and I have no clue on this segment.

Throw in yr suggestions. Let the best hatch be mine.

Mod's Note: Please type your posts directly on the board. Avoid copy-pasting from Word or any other external editor. It creates unreadable posts.

Post edited and cleaned up.
Old 18th December 2009, 23:25   #2
BHPian

You havent mentioned your budget !!!
Old 19th December 2009, 13:48   #3
BHPian

Some wise thoughts/decisions in your post, rauldsouza.

Using all your hard earned money totally in a new car is not very sensible I say, irrespective of whether you go in for further studies or not.
Remember, an automobile is a liability not an asset.

And a new car, even if a Honda, is a bigger liability because of higher depreciating value.

Coming back to your question, there are many details missing which you should have provided.
Youir budget ? (I'd suspect you'd want to save atleast 5-6 lacs from your ANHC budget). Which gets you to around 4-4.5 spending range.

Now, do you need a diesel or a petrol ? How much is your monthly drive ? What is your priority ? Is it space, quality, reliability, performance ? You cant probably have the best of all. So you'll have to priortize.

More importantly do you want to buy new ?
Else, you'd be able to get some wonderful used cars (even sedans) for the money. Check out GTO's thread for great buys ( enthusiast cars ) in the used market.

Hope this helps.
Old 19th December 2009, 14:06   #4
BHPian

I would suggest a Second -hand Hstchback, since you plan to upgrade in two years time
Old 19th December 2009, 14:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

How about i10 or a Swift /Ritz? The decently loaded petrol model should be within 5 lacs . And these cars will fetch good resale after 2 yrs.
Old 19th December 2009, 14:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Some wise thoughts/decisions in your post

Coming back to your question, there are many details missing which you should have provided.
Youir budget ? (I'd suspect you'd want to save atleast 5-6 lacs from your ANHC budget). Which gets you to around 4-4.5 spending range.
I dont want to spend more than 5L on this car.

Quote:
Now, do you need a diesel or a petrol ? How much is your monthly drive ? What is your priority ? Is it space, quality, reliability, performance ? You cant probably have the best of all. So you'll have to priortize.
My drive will be less. Under 1K a month. I'll prefer a petrol.

I am looking for a reliable car, Reliable car's will have greater resale as well. For this car I can compromise on the performance, each time I drive it, I know it will remind me to go in for further studies.

Anyways We already have an accent at home, so Dad and I can always switch cars.

Quote:
More importantly do you want to buy new ?

Hope this helps.
Yes. My dad will at times drive it.
Appreciate yr reply.
Old 19th December 2009, 23:46   #7
BHPian

Based on your requirements,,

The best options are i10 or Ritz.
You can also consider the Chevy - UVA
Old 20th December 2009, 21:38   #8
Team-BHP Support

If its just two years and running cost is not too much of an issue, why don't you consider a nice 2nd hand sedan. If you can stretch your budget you could get hold of a nice corolla.

Also check this link for some ideas:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...pees-less.html
Old 20th December 2009, 21:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

The first 2 years see the highest depreciation in a car.

A used car would be the way to go - either hatch or sedan.
Old 20th December 2009, 21:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey Raul

Going for the higher studies is a much much better investment than buying a ANHC or car for that matter.

My suggetion is to go for the new car, but with the as little budget as possible. If your needs can be fulfilled with a Nano or M800 or Alto, then go for it.
Old 20th December 2009, 21:58   #11
Team-BHP Support

sorry - I just realised you're also saving from your budget to fund further studies. In that case, instead of putting down 5 - 6 L on a car, perhaps you could consider a sub 3L sedan instead if performance is important. You can get some nice balenos etc for much less than 3 lakh. Some other nice 2nd hand hatch options are swift, old Zen, Chevy SRV, etc. Swift will mean decent resale even when you on - sell.
Old 20th December 2009, 21:58   #12
BHPian

You could go for the Maruti A-Star Gives about 17Kmpl and is well under 5L
Or
The i10 1.2.
Old 20th December 2009, 22:00   #13
BHPian

An i10 that you don't have to necessarily dispense with after 2 years makes good sense.

It will serve you well and will fetch you good returns even if you finally decide to sell it later. There are nice offers at this time of the year, and you should be able to own one at just about 4+ lacs.
Old 20th December 2009, 22:10   #14
BHPian

hmmm.. My two cents of worth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldsouza View Post
I dont want to spend more than 5L on this car.

My drive will be less. Under 1K a month. I'll prefer a petrol.

I am looking for a reliable car, Reliable car's will have greater resale as well. For this car I can compromise on the performance, each time I drive it, I know it will remind me to go in for further studies.

Anyways We already have an accent at home, so Dad and I can always switch cars.

Yes. My dad will at times drive it.
Appreciate yr reply.
Hi Raul,
I think it is better if you do go for a maruti if you are going for a new car ( better resale value and reliability). I would suggest the ritz over the swift for its excellent petrol engine and if you do not mind the looks. Its performance is not too shabby either.

If you want your car to remind you to go for higher studies, I would suggest going for a low cost car like Chevy spark or Maruti 800. It would also help you in saving up some cost for your studies.
Old 20th December 2009, 22:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ford Figo (whenever it gets launched) will be a good option. It is expected to be spacious, comfortable and fun to drive. Base model is expected to be around 3.5 lacs.

Most Viewed