Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2009, 01:33   #1
BHPian

German (Polo) or Japanese (ANHC)

Hello Fellow Forum members - Long Post.

Let me tell you folks a brief background which would definitely influence your answers. I moved to USA quite early in my career so never had a car of my own in India. I used to drive Honda Civic (desi choice) for almost 8 years. I have returned to India almost a year back. Was contemplating of going back to USA for sometime and hence never purchased a car. So its been some time now staying in India and travelling in an Auto.But decision time came and now with kid going to a good school, decided to settle in Bangalore/India itself.

>All along drove an A/T
>Learnt through a Driving School M/T in India

Requirements:
1. This is mainly for City drive with occasional highway trips. Around 1000KM/month
2. Self Drive
3. Wife will also use it.
4. Not interested in Maruti, Hyundai, Tata - Family Choice
5. Budget - 10L
6. By May,2010 (Will wait for AutoExpo). Wish Toyota had some good news.
7. Planning to keep the car for 5-7 Years for sure

So in the last one month, i have read through most discussions on this forum, did some TD. Here are 2 choices which i am contemplating

a) ANHC
b) Polo

ANHC:
Pros:
a) Honda badge and prior Honda experience
b) Nice A/T and great reviews
c) City car
Cons:
a) Little worried of low GC (Living in Bangalore)
b) Is the price worth it? For the features
c) Street where i live - parking problems

Polo:
Pros:
a) Love the looks. Seen the interiors. Ok with it.
b) Affordable VW branded car.Yeah, me a sucker for VW.
c) COTY award
Cons:
a) Have no confirmation but a crappy Petrol engine. I liked the Diesel specs (1.2 TDI) but is Diesel worth spending extra money? No idea of what Petro vs Diesel is.
b) How is A.S.S?
c) No A/T announced also.

Thinking of the above criteria, i am so confused. I know that one is a hatchback and other a Sedan but go with the Heart is the motto. HELP

Last edited by hrmanju1 : 29th December 2009 at 01:35. Reason: Added More info
Old 29th December 2009, 01:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

heres another one to add to the confusion. how about the linea t-jet that is to be launched in jan.
Old 29th December 2009, 03:05   #3
BHPian

AHNC ticks all the boxes. Its a good balance, a good family car, its surprisingly spacious, has adequate power for the highway plus Honda reliability and predictable maintenance. However overpriced by a lakh.

Polo is cramped, a small car though it may look larger in the pics because of the golfish looks, will most probably have an anemic engine, and reliability and maintenance is unproven, its sister company track record is shockingly bad and since management is more of less the same people shifting around in large conglomerates one cannot give them benefit of doubt untill they prove themselves after a few years. Anything above 6, 6.5 would be too much for a Polo, plus maintenance is an unknown.

I would pick the AHNC, but since Polo is a contender for you perhaps wait for it be launched, test drive it and then take a call.
Old 29th December 2009, 08:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Polo is a nice small car in its own, but overall, its no match for G3HC ( i.e. ANHC ). Few things one cant be sure about :

1) Engine : To the best of my knowledge, Fabia three cylinder units will make their way into this car. Again I am not sure, but this is what one can predict.
G3HC on the other hand has a very nice motor. Can do highway trips without any stress. Almost we can say that as compared to Polo, G3HC will remain effortless performer.

2) A.S & S. : VW does not have a widespread dealer and service center network. Honda is much better in this regard. However things depend on how Suzuki-VW deal goes. The dealers in India must agree to sell VW cars, which mostly likely they will due to image. But it will take more time and its not matter of days. Suzuki and VW are going to start working jointly in January 2010.
Overall, as of now, we can rate honda higher than VW in this regard.

3) Cost of spares. If one closely looks at the spare part prices, VW has higher priced spares, though I am not sure about the general service costs and labor costs. Even though VW claims for higher localization, their spare part pricing is yet to be seen.
G3HC is more expensive to maintain that SX4, but its not very expensive.
Overall, long term ownership cost of VW is one of the highest as compared to any jap brand.

4) Sorry to drag Fiat here, but if we leave fiat, EU cars in small car market are yet to meet with success. Fiat is an exception and GP is a nice car as compared to Polo IMHO. If Fabia is anything to go by, I think anyone would think twice before buying a small car from VW's entire stable.

You have also mentioned about parking problems, and I read in some other thread that Polo has 5.3m turning radius.

To end this post I would like to say that G3HC is almost proven on Indian roads. VW is not as proven as G3HC. G3HC, just like any japanese, will offer lower maintenance cost over a period of time, good resale and reliability. Go for G3HC.

I suggest you wait till AutoExpo. Nissan Mirca and Ford Figo are something you will have to watch for. Ford will have good handling that can match Europeans and Ford has worked really hard to bring spares cost down.
Old 29th December 2009, 08:53   #5
BHPian

Hey Manju,

My 2 cents.

Requirements:
1. This is mainly for City drive with occasional highway trips. Around 1000KM/month

Both ANHC and Polo would fit here. I have the City ZX Vtec, and it's really a good car to drive in the city and occasionally on the highways. Now with ANHC, I would consider things should be much better. The boot of the Sedan will come in handy for the highways.

2. Self Drive

Both fit good here. ANHC is also a wonderful car to drive

Check, perhaps Polo would be better.

5. Budget - 10L
ANHC should fit very well here.

You have a long time. Auto Expo will throw a lot of things and it would really be worth the wait.

Again for sure, both cars fit here.

I'm also currently in the same dilemma of buying a car. The range for me as well is from 5L - 10L and checked out couple of cars and got a lot confused. Hence I'm keeping quiet and eagerly waiting for Auto Expo. Hopefully we'll have some more choices and could get more confused as well

Cheers,
Laxminarayan
Old 29th December 2009, 11:13   #6
BHPian

Customer Is the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
heres another one to add to the confusion. how about the linea t-jet that is to be launched in jan.
Well, i have been reading horror stories on QC of FIAT and A.S.S also on team-bhp.(I havent met anyone in my friends circle who own a Fiat.)

I work for a Product company. A successful one also. Customer Is the King - this is one of our motto day in and day out. The sales folks in my company are top notch due to which we are leagues ahead of competition. We back good Support post sales.

I went to look at GP and Linea in Bangalore. The callous attitude of the sales folks put me off. If the Sales guys themselves are so laid back, what will be the status of A.S.S. (Usually Sales are more aggressive than A.S.S)

Also, saw some rusting Linea threads in here which is not good at all IMHO. Linea is also underpowered i heard. (Never TDed) I havent seen the interiors of GP or Linea yet as i walked out the other day. And another good thing is he 50 month assistance FIAT is offering

Let me see of he new engine if it materializes before May 2010.
Old 29th December 2009, 11:41   #7
BHPian

You seem to have made up ur mind against MARUTI. But I still suggest you TD the new SX4 VVT A/T.

it is definately worth the price. Just have a look.
Old 29th December 2009, 11:50   #8
BHPian

Hmm.. typical hangover from the US experience. Not surprised. Will take you a while to get around and 1 year may be less

10L budget is a quite a large budget and if you stretch it a bit you could as well get a Civic itself.
Check this thread as well - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...car-scene.html

IMHO, you are comparing apples and oranges. Polo is a smaller car as compared to the City. The specs itself should have made this clear. City is a great car and is built well for Indian road conditions. Polo is a relatively new entrant but may handle the roads just as well. Skoda,Jetta and Passat have been around for a while, but BHPians have mixed views There is a long thread on the woes of Skoda and its A.S.S. But the car is well built too for German-Czech collaboration.

If I were you, I would go with a City or a Skoda or a Corolla(since most desis in US like either Honda/Toyota)

Two cents :
1. If Parking is an issue, make sure you have some guard/watchman around. Big ticket cars have a way of disappearing.
2. make sure you get a gearlock installed over and above the fancy autocop and immobilizer stuff.
3. If you are used to AT in the US, you will have tough times in Bangalore crazy traffic, plus not to speak about the mileage drain.
4. Welcome to the real world. To expect sales and service like a King, you need to be elsewhere. In our land of billion people, its mostly a supplier's market. Not surprised that cars only sell at MRP with some alms thrown in as compared to getting over 8-10k off on MRP?
5. Roads in India have tremendously improved. Try taking a ride on the GQ or EW corridors. Maybe you will notice less differences in US and Indian roads, as I did.

Hey man, no offense, it will take you time to get around to your Indianess, but be patient as well. TBHP is loaded with inputs and info and the guys will help out with any query. It is for folks who like to be informed better.

Last edited by longford : 29th December 2009 at 11:56.
Old 29th December 2009, 12:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Manju,
Why not a Jazz ? I know it's over priced, but for City driving it's good, decent FE + Fantastic reliability + Nomial service charges.
Old 29th December 2009, 14:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
Requirements:
2. Self Drive
4. Not interested in Maruti, Hyundai, Tata - Family Choice
5. Budget - 10L

HELP
With that budget, City is good as your running is not much and offers A/T also. BUT as mentioned earlier, Jazz is a great option. Jazz matches all your requirements including parking problems. Since both are Honda you cannot go wrong with the reliability. And its very comfortable among female drivers.
I would not recommend Diesel, other than you want more torque.
Cheers!
Old 29th December 2009, 17:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Manju,
Why not a Jazz ? I know it's over priced, but for City driving it's good, decent FE + Fantastic reliability + Nomial service charges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
BUT as mentioned earlier, Jazz is a great option. Jazz matches all your requirements including parking problems. Since both are Honda you cannot go wrong with the reliability. And its very comfortable among female drivers.
Cheers!
I would say Jazz reviews and opinions on Team-BHP literally killed my appetite. Especially the feeling of it being Overpriced.

Frankly, i hate the shape of Jazz. (I hate Innova as well). I had never considered Jazz at all these days due to the Overpricing and the looks. Maybe i should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
You seem to have made up ur mind against MARUTI. But I still suggest you TD the new SX4 VVT A/T.

it is definately worth the price. Just have a look.
Nah, SX4 is ruled out. I was sitting in my friends SX4 and did not like the ride at all. Too bouncy and not comfy at all. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Last edited by ajmat : 29th December 2009 at 19:18.
Old 29th December 2009, 18:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post

IMHO, you are comparing apples and oranges. Polo is a smaller car as compared to the City.

If I were you, I would go with a City or a Skoda or a Corolla(since most desis in US like either Honda/Toyota)

4. Welcome to the real world. To expect sales and service like a King, you need to be elsewhere. In our land of billion people, its mostly a supplier's market. Not surprised that cars only sell at MRP with some alms thrown in as compared to getting over 8-10k off on MRP?
Thanks for the info. Yes, i very well know difference between ANHC and Polo. But its not Sedan vs Hatchback. I have no qualms in either and i prefer any one of them. Space is not a problem in either. Nuclear Family.

Corolla is way over my budget. I prefer to stick to 10L OTR. Thats the reason Polo so if i get it for 7L, i can throw in another car after a year maybe. (Micra??)

Welcome to the real world. Well, i work in India and this is what we are treating our customers. Customer is the King. No matter India or USA. But maybe this is not prelavent in certain fields.

Thanks for all the updates.

after sidindica update on Polo, i am all heartbroken.
Old 29th December 2009, 19:22   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

For your buyer profile it should be the no nonsense ANHC!

Though I wouldn't buy it for myself for my personal aversion towards Honda for overpricing it's cars, if you have the money than you cannot go wrong with the ANHC at all.

If you aren't specific on Auto tranny then TD a Fiesta as well. Bangalore BHPians can throw light on A.S.S exp there.
Old 29th December 2009, 19:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I would say Jazz reviews and opinions on Team-BHP literally killed my appetite. Especially the feeling of it being Overpriced.

Frankly, i hate the shape of Jazz. (I hate Innova as well). I had never considered Jazz at all these days due to the Overpricing and the looks. Maybe i should.
If it has to be about over pricing then even City is, compare the feature list of Linea and City. I think Jazz is expensive rather than so much hyped as overpriced. Well all Hondas are. It also gives a hard topic of pricing of Jazz and i20. GTO has written an article on the pricing of Hondas. That might help you. Im in a hurry right now as Im at office so cannot search the exact link.
But I wont finish without writing anything about Jazz:
The cabin of Jazz is a place where you really wanna live. Spacious and airy. And the 1.2L engine aint bad. But purely my opinion. But would I ever go for Jazz ? Maybe not, but for a simple reason that its not of my taste. But if someday I need a premium hatch with high 'feel good' factor with high budget and decent driveability then something like Jazz will be in consideration.
I think Jazz looks good and it surely has road presence.

But if its not Jazz for you then I think you are coming very close to ANHC as your choice.
Old 2nd January 2010, 13:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Yes, i very well know difference between ANHC and Polo. But its not Sedan vs Hatchback. I have no qualms in either and i prefer any one of them. Space is not a problem in either. Nuclear Family.

Corolla is way over my budget. I prefer to stick to 10L OTR. Thats the reason Polo so if i get it for 7L, i can throw in another car after a year maybe. (Micra??)

Welcome to the real world. Well, i work in India and this is what we are treating our customers. Customer is the King. No matter India or USA. But maybe this is not prelavent in certain fields.

Thanks for all the updates.

after sidindica update on Polo, i am all heartbroken.
Good to read that some companies are taking the customers seriously

2010 and 11 are going to be exciting as lots of 4-10L cars are going to hit the market. Nissan is also getting its new car later this year.

Linea is also a wonderful VFM car. Very sporty feel and great looks. you may like it.

But if you are planning to have the car for 1-2 years, go in for a used car and then get into any one of the exciting cars coming out next year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks