Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 11:30   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairanupg View Post
Welcome to the forum mate.
Pardon me; but for the requirements you have listed i would suggest you seriously take a look at the used Elantra's. The CRDI unit on that one is a stonker and mate it with the Pete's; it will keep you pushing for more.
A drivers delight and a very unappreciated and underrated car.
Besides they would be fresher; easier to maintain and i dare say a better driver's car considering that the elantra is newer and would come relatively unabused.
But hey; buying your first car is never a logical decision; so the heart rules.
And before i forget you'll be pushing your budget upto 5 lakhs. for a well maintained one.
Elantra... well, I like that car too. One of my friends have that and it is awesome. If it is a diesel elantra, I can probably push upto max 3.5L for a diesel elantra. Not more than that at this point :(
What is the going market rate? I have a feeling that I'm greedy

With all the inputs (thanks ), I guess I should be leaning towards the following choices -
1. Diesel Lancer (2 - 2.5L)
2. Petrol Lancer (1 - 2L) - Will I get a steal deal ?
3. Elantra - 3.5L (Greedy! What is the engine life?)

Sounds good?

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st December 2009 at 11:41. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote instead, Thanks
Old 31st December 2009, 11:51   #17
BHPian

My advise, don't just go just by the purchase price, its job only 50% done, the rest are on running costs.

I suggest you get a low (sub 50K) mileage '03 Lancer Petrol for your usage even if the upfronts costs are a bit high.

Stay away from 1L run Lancer Diesels unless you know the history.

A good Elantra is way out of your budget of 3.5L, stay away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S. View Post
Elantra... well, I like that car too. One of my friends have that and it is awesome. If it is a diesel elantra, I can probably push upto max 3.5L for a diesel elantra. Not more than that at this point :(

With all the inputs (thanks ), I guess I should be leaning towards the following choices -

Sounds good?
Old 31st December 2009, 11:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sounds good?
Diesel elantra can be brought at the budget you stated, though the engine is a performer but not as reliable as the lancer. I would advise you to stay away from an elantra especially the diesel ones, as maintanance will really burn a hole in your pocket. After spending good 3-4 lacs from your pocket if you are required to spend another lac in 6-8 months i would call it a bad investment. Being the first car that too a second hand one you would have to learn a lot. Some ground rules:

1.A old car will have problems which you will discover as time goes by, best way is to ignore them if they are not huge.

2.Do not replace anything until necessary

3.Cosmetics should be the last priority first should be getting mechanical aspects looked upon

4.Just remember there are no steal deals, if something looks like a steal deal then there is something even bigger which is coming your way.

5. You can never make any old car 100% reliable(so is the case with the new ones), but you can take it close to 100%, such that major components will never fail.

In case of a lancer the invoice value of a 2000 lancer is 10 lac plus, its a premium sedan, imagine someone selling a 7-9 yearold car for 1/10 of the purchase value should have very compelling reasons to do so.

I am holding my car for 3 reasons.

1.No space for 2 cars

2.Cant find a replacement (oh really? )

3.Wont get anything for it now, not even for the downpayment for a new one.

Pramod
Old 31st December 2009, 12:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

My colleague replaced the clutch assembly in the Elantra from Hyundai Ser. Centre in Trichy and was billed ~ 27 for it. So look out for costly spares and repair bills as well.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Sounds good?
Why are you leaning towards Diesel. High Torque or Fuel Efficiency?
To get profits on FE you need to run it very high. For torque Elantra is just too expensive for a 1st car that too a used one. Petrol Lancer makes sense among the lot. Steal deal is really difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I suggest you get a low (sub 50K) mileage '03 Lancer Petrol for your usage even if the upfronts costs are a bit high.
2003 Model Sub 50K mileage ? Cost of such a Lancer and availability?
Old 31st December 2009, 13:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Why are you leaning towards Diesel. High Torque or Fuel Efficiency?
To get profits on FE you need to run it very high.
Hi vibhanshu, can you please explain? i can't able to understand?

Cheers,
L&S.
Old 31st December 2009, 13:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer&shogun View Post
Hi vibhanshu, can you please explain? i can't able to understand?

Cheers,
L&S.

Simple, If you need to get profits running diesel, you need to run very high in the tune 5-7k kms a month (especially on a old car), else maintianance + fuel cost (running cost) would be higher than the running costs of a petrol car.

Pramod
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:38   #23
BHPian

Hi Pramod

Its been a while I had been discussing about Lancer with my friends. One of them bought a used Lancer in 2L (sometime back). Then he spent another 80K for its repair etc. And then sold it out for 1.8L as he got tired of its continuous problems. Now he clearly told me NOT to buy a Lancer due to its constant problems. According to him, Lancer always have problems. Now, its really hard to believe me. Mitsubishi doesn't seem to be a company like that.

What do you suggest, in term of upkeep cost and maintenance? Whats your take on this ?

-Thanks

Last edited by Vibhanshu : 2nd January 2010 at 00:44.
Old 4th January 2010, 09:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Pramod

Its been a while I had been discussing about Lancer with my friends. One of them bought a used Lancer in 2L (sometime back). Then he spent another 80K for its repair etc. And then sold it out for 1.8L as he got tired of its continuous problems. Now he clearly told me NOT to buy a Lancer due to its constant problems. According to him, Lancer always have problems. Now, its really hard to believe me. Mitsubishi doesn't seem to be a company like that.

What do you suggest, in term of upkeep cost and maintenance? Whats your take on this ?

-Thanks
First of all happy new year to you all, and sorry for the late reply.

Every old car will give you problems but depends if you want to attend to it or not. For example, i went through my 120k kms servicing day before yesterday at 124k kms. Previously i just changed the engine oil, but now i replaced all the other fluids. Total cost INR 1545/-, This was mandatory and if i remember maruti charged me 4K for the same service only difference was they also had engine oil and oil filters changed. My wipers have play in them, all they do is just squeek mildly when operated, cost for replacement ~2k, but can I live with this problem, answer is yes.

Suspension has to be replaced soon and trust me in its 9 year life this is the first time i have reached this decision, my esteem went through 2 such replacements in 30K kms.

What i say is every car can be badly beaten up and ever normal car can turn into a bottomless pit, and trust me my esteem was one with repairs amounting to ~3k/month. I am sure your friend would not just have spent 80k for repairs alone. One of my friend brought a lancer for 1.05lac and immediately he spent close to 50 k for alloys HID and ICE, in a week his breaks required replacement and in a month the suspension. He was equally pissed and was ready to sell it ASAP.

When i gave him a test drive of my car and told him of some problems i am living with he was little bit ok. Then when he started spending on things which required attention his car became reliable. He drove it all the way to chennai from hyderabad and back, it gave him a 13+millage with ac and he was all singing about it, saying his car runs cheaper than a new maruti SX4.

My point is simple dont steriotype all mitsus for problems your friends car went through. I have not found a more reliable car than this one, for me it has never left me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Pramod
Old 4th January 2010, 10:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

^^Very well written and I 100% agree to it all.

8/9/10 year old cars (considering the price they were sold and brought) + Indian conditions makes most cars unreliable. But I feel the Lancer has held really well. Alhamdulilah, I have no rattles, no suspension issues with my SFXi whatsoever.
Please work on the 'must' issues first. Suspension, rotors, brakes, fluids (syn or mineral). I would prefer OEM for all the essentials. Rest, alloys, ICE can be handled as and when cash comes in. Really, whats a car with blaring ICE and jhang pang if the users have sore bottoms.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 4th January 2010 at 10:21.
Old 4th January 2010, 10:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians,
Glad to be a part of this passionate community. My first post here (and I hope to have a long association ).

Essence of this post is to get some advice on my decision on an used car buy. I have been following/searching this forum before I zeroed into my choices.

My requirements are:
1. Budget 2 - 2.5L
2. Sedan (am 6ft, would love nice big car with good boot space)
3. Diesel (Home - Office - Home drive would be around 30 kms daily + occasional fun road trips, say once in a month)
4. Looks and style
5. Less maintenance
6. Fairly easy availability of spares
7. Chennai
8. My first car

Keeping all this in mind, and with the t-bhp old discussions, I have started looking out for a diesel lancer. I have always loved Lancer, especially the black one - what a piece of machine! and I still believe that it has got the timeless looks.

My questions are
1. Does it sound sane? Is it a good idea to buy an used diesel car?
2. Many lancers out in the market have already clocked 1L+ kms. Is that fine?
3. I am ignorant about cars, and don't want to get doomed by the (fraudulent) dealers.
3. If this is not a good idea, what would be a better option suiting my requirements?

Looking forward to the advices from you all, Thanks in advance,

K.
Hi Buddy,

Since this is your 1st car I suggest you go for a small car something like a zen, indica... I also heard that it is not safe to buy a second hand diesel car since the maintenance is very high (in case the car was not well maintained.
Old 4th January 2010, 10:41   #27
BHPian

Hi
Happy new to you too Pramod and to all.
Thanks for clearing my mind.

Ok, Here is a update of past few days.

Dealer1 : Dr. Cars
Lancer : No availability. (Surprisingly)
After looking here and there I though I wont go back empty handed and I ended up taking a test ride of OHC 1.5Exi. And I must say I liked it other than some facts that the car feels too light and no steer adjustment. But anyhow, engine revved nice. Prices of OHC: 2.2L, 2.5L, 2.9L. All the OHCs were above 70K mark. 2000-2002 Models
But no Lancer in Stock :(

Dealer 2: National Motors (Nampally, Near Medwin)
1 Lancer : Cudnt see the vehicle as it was not available at that time. 1999 Model. The sales guy says it has only 55K odo reading. Price 1.65L. I came back.

Dealer 3: Deccan Motors, Near Essar Nagar Community hall.
Lancer: 1 Available in Stock
60K on odo. 2002 Model Lancer GLXi
Exterior was just OK. Tires need replacement. NO alloys.
When I sat inside I just loved the Lancer. Amazing Ergonomic!! Yes, its true. I've never driven a Lancer before
Anyhow, I managed to get a test ride of it. The car is surely heavy and feels planted. But I could see something different. In the 2nd gear at 1.5K RPM, when I floored the acc. then car was not at all smooth, lil jerks. It can be the mis-firing OR Clutch ??

Anyhow, Lancer is just superb. Can anyone confirm me the price of its few major parts. Whole suspension setup, AC expenses. etc What I mean is, in case I repair the major components of the car then what prices I would have to pay. I'll try to goto the Mitsubishi showroom and get the latest prices myself. Im taking these figures so that I can calculate while buying the car to the 'total' costs before is car is ready to hit the streets.

Today I would also goto the bank for checking out the siezed cars. Will update on that also. But finding a clean Lancer seems hard.

Thanks guys.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:16   #28
BHPian

Dear All,

My advice in regards to Lancer: Petrol & Diesel
I own a lancer Petrol & would like to tell you that Petrol Lancer is still one of the most Reliable & Quietest Cabin.

Diesel technology of lancer is also great although the power is low but at the same time it gives a good mileage.

The only drawback is Lancer Spare Parts: company service is expensive.
& the service centre performs malpractices but the story is same with most of the other manufacturers as well.

The Trick of the Trade is get the lancer serviced with good mechanic & get the spare parts from market so that you can save on the cost.

Lancer is a great car even today with good looks.

I would recommend look out for lancer petrol as it is easier to find a good one.

Thanks
Old 4th January 2010, 11:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyhow, Lancer is just superb. Can anyone confirm me the price of its few major parts. Whole suspension setup, AC expenses. etc What I mean is, in case I repair the major components of the car then what prices I would have to pay. I'll try to goto the Mitsubishi showroom and get the latest prices myself. Im taking these figures so that I can calculate while buying the car to the 'total' costs before is car is ready to hit the streets.

Today I would also goto the bank for checking out the siezed cars. Will update on that also. But finding a clean Lancer seems hard.

Thanks guys.
LOL, best of luck with your hunt and trust me you would love every car which you would see and would try to ignore niggles. But i would like to request you to wait for that one perfect car that was specially build for you at the assembly line.

The price for most of the parts are mentioned here.
PS the front right suspension arm now costs 10K.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...are-parts.html

As far as understanding the issues in a lancer, Uses the below link as a bible.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ip-report.html

Do not go to suraksha, they are the people who maintained my lancer from day one, They are the most non cooperating bafoons. I needed my service history to be transfered to Geo motors who are now maintaining my lancer and these guys will not even acknowledge my mails/phone calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam00 View Post
Dear All,

The only drawback is Lancer Spare Parts: company service is expensive.
& the service centre performs malpractices but the story is same with most of the other manufacturers as well.
Agree with you completely, but if you check the price of ford components + their average life of parts i still feel i can maintain 3 lancers for the price of one ikon going ot ford A S S.

I understand dealers are bad throught india, I am a lucky guy as there are 2 dealers in 10 Km radius, one is the biggest one in kerala and the dude is getting a porsche dealership and has a skoda delership, so no price in gussing he throws a lot of weight arround but the other A S S is very nice gives me the right advise and are helpful. I just took my car for a accelerator cable checkup and this is what the SA tells me. "I have not heard in my entire career where a lancer's accelerator cable went bad, letme check" then he says there is dust in the throttle and he uses wd40 and the issue is resolved. I was so pleased with him that i gave my car immediately for a complete fluid change.

Pramod
Old 4th January 2010, 12:11   #30
BHPian

Agree with you completely, but if you check the price of ford components + their average life of parts i still feel i can maintain 3 lancers for the price of one ikon going ot ford A S S.

I agree with you any day maintaining a lancer is much more cheaper than any other Ford car.Lancer does not requires spare parts often.

Most Viewed