Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Was this Post helpful for your knowledge about New Honda Civic
Yes 13 76.47%
No 3 17.65%
Not Sure 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 12:49   #1
BHPian

Thinking of a New Honda Civic MT

Distinguished BHPians,

I plan to buy a New Honda Civic SMT/VMT purchase and currently doing TDs and rounds with dealers in Bangalore and sending queries to few other Civic BHP owners as well.

I am looking at long term ownership 5 years at the least, My friend and i went to Dakshin honda on lavelle road yesterday, met one sales person. He had a red civic VMT on display but when i asked for a TD he said he doesnot have the test vehicle and he has to get one from his hosur rd showooom and its only possible tomorrow, my friend wanted to check out City, he took a test drive of city and we came back, today morning he called me up and mentioned he will come down to my office in afternoon. I did check out the display VMT in showroom, i asked him few questions and this was his answer , could you please confirm the below details :-

1. I asked about why there is no rear AC vents, he mentions to me that there is a hidden AC vent below driver and co-passenger seats, he asked me to check it myself and i could feel there is some cool air coming out as well from mats below indeed, but did not go further to remove mats and check further, is this true at all ? looks like he was giving some goli

2. Asked him is there a auto AC, he says yes, brouchure also says Auto AC, does civic has Auto Climatic control as well ?

3. He metions to me that Alloy between SMT and VMT is different, VMT has new alloys and i could see some slight variation in pictures in brouchure and no major diff as such.

4. asked him about tyre upgrades for Michelin primacy 205/60/R15 he mentions no SIR , it will be out of warraty - standard answer as expected.

5. he mentioned only engine is 4 year warranty, is this correct ? are any other parts in warranty ? if engine is only in warrantly and not anything else why Honda doesnot allow any mods out of their showroom ? I dont understand their logic ?

6. MKC & iTNerd - many thanks for all answers to my questions,
MKC- haven't tried Whitefiled honda yet, will check them out as well.
followed by Magnum

7. BTW Honda has increased all prices(Jazz, City, Civic) effective JAN 2010, here are the prices on New Civic
1.8SMT - Ex Bangalore - 11.97L, On Road - 14.44L
1.8VMT - Ex Bangalore - 12.87L, On Road - 15.62L
1.8VAT - Ex Bangalore - 13.61L, On Road - 16.51L
above prices are exclusive of inspire/elegance packages -fyi
I have new prices list for City and Jazz also if someone wants.

8. New 2010 Model available from Jan 3 already, says 1 week only lead time delivery for VMT - polished metallic color.

9. Discounts - Zero Rupees from Dakshin Honda, No Freebies Either, not even floor mats. I told Dakshin honda i shall check out other dealers as well, he says you are welcome SIR.

10. Looking at Polished metal metallic more, 2nd choice White.

11. Although mind and heart says Civic , want to TD Laura and Corolla Altis as well. I am pursuring TD with Toyota folks on Richmond Road.

12. Does Honda provide any corporate discounts ? I asked about the same and he mentioned only if you buy from Company's name.

13. asked him what would be adv amount for booking, 50K was the answer

14. asked him rear parking sensor he mentioned 4K additional for Beepy one and 17K additional for ones with camera and mirror.

15. asked him about rear sprolier , he says he has to check with accesories dept and no answer given.

I request other BHPians to provide me your dealership experience of Honda dealers in Bangalore, thanks in advance for help and valuable advice

Last edited by penpavan : 8th January 2010 at 12:57.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:24   #2
BHPian

I'm no Civic or even a Honda vehicle owner, but i'm pretty sure that you will not get ownership reports spanning 5yrs atleast as the Civic was released in 2006. So it'll be around 3.5-4yrs at the most.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Distinguished BHPians,
1. I asked about why there is no rear AC vents, he mentions to me that there is a hidden AC vent below driver and co-passenger seats, he asked me to check it myself and i could feel there is some cool air coming out as well from mats below indeed, but did not go further to remove mats and check further, is this true at all ? looks like he was giving some goli
Yes, it does have vents under the front seats.

2. Asked him is there a auto AC, he says yes, brouchure also says Auto AC, does civic has Auto Climatic control as well ?
Yes.

3. He metions to me that Alloy between SMT and VMT is different, VMT has new alloys and i could see some slight variation in pictures in brouchure and no major diff as such.
Yes minor difference. I later realized that the new ones are actually from earlier Civic-Sports model but not painted in white!

5. he mentioned only engine is 4 year warranty, is this correct ? are any other parts in warranty ? if engine is only in warrantly and not anything else why Honda doesnot allow any mods out of their showroom ? I dont understand their logic ?
Need to check the fine print. I think it covers engine and transmission.

7. BTW Honda has increased all prices(Jazz, City, Civic) effective JAN 2010, here are the prices on New Civic
Man, Honda is going greedy and crazy. In Oct-09, V-AT was 13.55 ex Bangalore and 1,643,949.00 on-road. They have increased 6K again.

9. Discounts - Zero Rupees from Dakshin Honda, No Freebies Either, not even floor mats. I told Dakshin honda i shall check out other dealers as well, he says you are welcome SIR.
PM me if you need some contacts.

11. Although mind and heart says Civic , want to TD Laura and Corolla Altis as well. I am pursuring TD with Toyota folks on Richmond Road.
Altis is also a very good option. You get lot more features.

12. Does Honda provide any corporate discounts ? I asked about the same and he mentioned only if you buy from Company's name.
Yes. I think it varies from company to company and b/w 7K and 15K I guess.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Distinguished BHPians,

I plan to buy a New Honda Civic SMT/VMT purchase and currently doing TDs and rounds with dealers in Bangalore and sending queries to few other Civic BHP owners as well.

I am looking at long term ownership 5 years at the least, My friend and i went to Dakshin honda on lavelle road yesterday, met one sales person. He had a red civic VMT on display but when i asked for a TD he said he doesnot have the test vehicle and he has to get one from his hosur rd showooom and its only possible tomorrow, my friend wanted to check out City, he took a test drive of city and we came back, today morning he called me up and mentioned he will come down to my office in afternoon. I did check out the display VMT in showroom, i asked him few questions and this was his answer , could you please confirm the below details :-
I think Civic was launched in June-July 2006. So its not even 4 yrs since launch. I have it for the 3 yrs, ST7677 has for around 3.5 yrs. There are enough ownership reviews written about Civic by all of us. There are quite a few threads that you can look into.
Quote:

That is an air circulation vent as far as I know.
Quote:

Yes it has automatic climate control
Quote:

I'm not sure of this. Haven't checked it out
Quote:

4. asked him about tyre upgrades for Michelin primacy 205/60/R15 he mentions no SIR , it will be out of warraty - standard answer as expected.

Warranty in general will not cover parts subject to normal wear and tear. This is a very grey area. Supposing the clutch conks off at 20K kms, they can claim u were riding clutch all the time and thats why its gone even though its under warranty. If you change tyres, yes warranty can be void. Even if you put a reverse sensor outside, and your wiring fries up sometime later, warranty will be void! Its a risk you have to take.
Quote:

6. MKC & iTNerd - many thanks for all answers to my questions,
MKC- haven't tried Whitefiled honda yet, will check them out as well.
followed by Magnum
I bought mine at Whitefield Honda. They are all more or less the same. Snobs.
Quote:

can you post the prices for them as well please. Would be helpful. Its madness to buy a Civic at 16.51L. I bought my AT at 13.4 Lakhs in Jan 2007. That was the 1.8S AT. I added leather and fogs for around 45K. A great car spoiled by mad pricing
Quote:

8. New 2010 Model available from Jan 3 already, says 1 week only lead time delivery for VMT - polished metallic color.

Yeah with the 2010 model u won't get any discount now. All discounts will be towards the 2009 make. As such Honda is quite stingy with discounts
Quote:

10. Looking at Polished metal metallic more, 2nd choice White.

Thats always the problem isn't it. Altis is a great car with all bells and whistles attached. Its not a driver's car if you know what I mean. Anyways all those discussions have been done and dusted with in this forum. A.S.S of Skoda can suck bigtime!!
Quote:

That is surprising. I bought the car in my wife's name and they gave a 12K discount (mind you in 2007, Civic was selling like hot cakes and there were strictly no discounts on offer) coz she was working for Accenture. If you work for any of the biggies they usually give.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi PenPavan,

He metions to me that Alloy between SMT and VMT is different, VMT has new alloys and i could see some slight variation in pictures in brouchure and no major diff as such.

I shall answer only the above question as the rest have been taken care:

I bought the Civic V MT on 25th Nov 09, there is a difference in the alloys on the V MT to the S MT. May not be noticable to the normal joe, however for people like us - its definately there.
IMO if the overall features of the V are for you and you are willing to pay the extra moolah - go for it. What I mean is the difference in alloys should not be the reason to buy the V.
If you love to drive then its the Civic - the Altis is good, more features at a lesser cost, but the driving pleasure/feel is just not there. IMO only guys no offense to any Altis owners
Cheers
Old 8th January 2010, 18:02   #6
BHPian

@penpavan, please talk to Magnum Honda also. They have two showrooms: one on Kanakpura Road (after Metro) and one on Bellary Road, near Mekhri Circle.
Old 8th January 2010, 18:17   #7
BHPian

I have a civic since Feb/Mar 07. I have the 1.8 S AT. It is a wonderful car, def better than the corolla. It is very cheap to maintain, and a lot of fun to drive. Gives good mileage too. I guess the laura would be as much fun, maybe more. (I have the 1.8TSI and that engine is wooooooooooooowww!!!!) I have the S version, and my car came with Auto Climate Control, but now they have it in 1 version and not in the other. Warranty is for engine and transmission only. A tyre upgrade would void your warranty, but IIRC you can choose what tires you want in the civic. I got goodyears on mine but a friend of mine insisted on michelin tyres in her car and the dealer gave them to her.
Old 8th January 2010, 19:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

What's the reason for the whopping increase in price of Civic? My friend bought a Civic V M/T for around 13 Lakh when it was launched and now the same varient cost 2 Lakh more!!! Why are they robbing us like this?
Old 8th January 2010, 20:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Civic is a good car no doubt.

BUT my vote would any day go for the Altis. It's got better interiors and more space and good GC. The top end is quite nice with Leather Interiors.

The Laura I have heard is quite a stonker too.

TD both and then decide
Old 8th January 2010, 21:00   #10
BHPian

More Updates :-
I took a test drive of a new White VMT and old pre facelift model today afternoon and evening and a altis yesterday
Here are the details
1. Dakshin honda sent the white new facelift model for TD on time, Really wanted to check this GC issue in new facelift civic, took 3 Friends along(heavy weights) along with sales guy put together all 5 seats occupied, went on a drive from Infantry Rd to Mekhri Circle and back, purposefully took it on few known pot holes and humps, no scraping was seen, just initial impresession though.
2. Ride quality was good, hardly noticed engine noise , slight noise only when you accelerate though or during un necessary acceleration , sales guy says zero noise from outside in cabin, while noticed some good traffic noise(from ever congested bangalore traffic), ensured no music to test this out.
3. tested steering and manouvering, was satisfied with both, felt steering a bit hard to handle and smaller compared to altis, braking was equally good in both.
4. Music system is awesome in civic, didn't feel the same effect in altis.
5. No USB in Altis ?? LoL - all variants ?
6. standard differences between altis and civic noted as beaten to death by all by other BHPians, will not get into it further.
7. Ride quality in Altis was equally good, no complaints
8. Didn't like fake wood in Altis.
9. Looks like Toyota have stopped sports edition of Altis from Jan 2010 which is the one which had polished metal metallic color, this is big surprise for me, if at all i would consider altis it would have been altis sport with polished metal metallic color.
10. Also took old civic(pre face lift model) TD at whitefiled honda.
11. Now i have 2 offers after some bargaining and more enquires, looks like
both dealers assumed i was window shopping earlier and not serious about buying,
Dakshin Honda :-
Offering 20K Cash Discount - ( as per corporate policy ) - no need to be registerted in companies name, but can be in induvidual name also - I asked more discount and freebies they said they will get back, no updates as of now
Whitefield Honda :-
Used mkc15's contacts at whitefiled honda , here is their offer
Offering 20K Cash Discount - ( as per corporate policy ) + Rubber mats free + sun film free(lumarc - i guess) - they say its worth 4-5K or 10K acessories cash discount
enquired accesories
rear sproiler = 21.5K
side step garnish with blue illumination = 12.5K(this looks nice, but 12K for it not worth IMO, and rear step garnish doesnot have illumination, its only in front doors)
rear parking sensors = 4K(beepy ones)

looks like whitefield honda is better at this point, magnum honda haven't tried yet and Dakshin has not not come back with their final offer

finance there are 2 options
Axis bank 9% for 3 years and 9.25% for 4th and 5th year
SBI 8% for first 2 years and 10% thereon

more later................
Old 8th January 2010, 21:46   #11
BHPian

Seems like a decent deal. I had got 15K cash discount. What about insurance ? Are they OK with outside insurance ? Like other threads mention, you can save upto 40% in insurance. You can speak to that insurance guy I mentioned in my reply, if you want.
Old 9th January 2010, 01:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

@penpavan, the accessories (Spoiler, LED side step etc) are rudiculously priced in the showroom..you can get the same quality and more choices outside in 1/4th the price.. I think you should only go for those accessories from the showroom, which require messing with the electrical/wiring of the car such as rear parking sensor (so as to not void the warranty).. 20K corporate discount is a good deal.. go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
The Civic is a good car no doubt.

BUT my vote would any day go for the Altis. It's got better interiors and more space and good GC. The top end is quite nice with Leather Interiors.
No offence, but are you sure Altis got better interiors and space than Civic? I am asking because when I test drove it, I find the interior very boring and did not feel a good sense of the plastic either.. remind me of my SX4
Old 9th January 2010, 02:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Civic. Its a better buy than Altis. You are also getting some good deals. However, most of the accessories you mentioned are highly overpriced. You can buy them at a very low rate from a car accessories shop. Just take the parking sensors from the dealer and ask for more cash discount instead of other freebies.

Last edited by Anand123 : 9th January 2010 at 02:29.
Old 9th January 2010, 04:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

The steering will feel harder coz its hydraulic and not EPS. Its a sporty steering and when you start driving her you will understand the beauty of it. Its like point and shoot. The handling is awesome to say the least. She's a big car but doesn't steer like a boat.

As someone said get insurance from outside. You will save 40-50% easily. Tata AIG gives 50% discount for car insurance if you bargain.

Take the reverse sensor from them. You can get spoiler done outside. Thats my suggestion.

Its a VTEC engine and will rev happily. You can redline it without any fear and the noise will get addictive.

Go for nationalized banks. Dealers will try to push ICICI, HDFC or the likes. Though the paper work is a bit tedious its better to go to SBI or Indian Bank. I got it from SBI and closed it in 18 months without any prepayment penalty or such nonsense.

Always haggle for cash discount and not free accessories.

Llumar is a good brand but check out what type of film they would put in case you choose accessories. There's a whole thread on sunfilms. The cheapo ones in most brands do nothing but look black. Take a cash discount and splurge on V-kool or Llumar Diamond for sunfilm.
Old 9th January 2010, 05:45   #15
Team-BHP Support

Hiked price again??? At the rate at which they price hike, I fear that 3 - 4 years later when I'm in the market for an upgraded car with a much higher budget, I'll still only be able to afford a Civic instead of an Accord.

Most Viewed