Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 20:54   #1
BHPian

Replacement for Civic ?

Hi all,

We have a 3 and a half yrs old Civic which has done close to 45k.
There is no problem with the car but over the period of ownership we have seen following flaws :
1. Low ride - Not comfortable for grandparents
2. Dashboard rattles over rough roads and Honda A.S.S. is unable to fix it in last 1 year.

When the road is smooth its absolutely joy to drive. Engine is flawless as are all other major systems.

So we decide to replace the car with something in similar price range. 2 options come to mind
1. Corolla - Too mundane looking in front of Civic.
2. Cruze - Looks great. But we already have spark and we are not fan of the engine. Its simple not as smooth as our WagonR (or Civic). So have doubts about Cruze engine. (We would go for Petrol only. Dad hates diesel). Also GM service is a concern. havent heard anything rave about it.

Does any of these cars address the "low ride" issue? Or both of them are similar to Civic in that respect ?

Any other car/SUV in that price range? Dad likes CR-V but its too expensive. And we want petrol engine. So Fortuner and Captiva are out.
Old 21st January 2010, 21:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

You dont have much options left , especially since you strictly want a petrol.
Altis seems to be the next best bet, but its kinda plain jane. Another good petrol car with a wee bit more budget is Laura 1.8TSI. One heck of an engine, nice interiors - but Skoda A.S.S.

Cruze doesnt have a good rear legroom , so i think you can stay away from it.
I think Altis would be the safer and better buy!
Old 21st January 2010, 21:35   #3
BHPian

Cruze cannot be considered since i think it doesn't have a petrol engine. So the only options left for you are Altis and Laura. Of these considering the brand name and A.S.S I think the most suitable vehicle for you will be Altis.
Old 21st January 2010, 22:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

The ingress/egress is quite a problem especially for elderly folks!! Are they affected by the soft suspension as well?

Surprising about the rattle. I've had it a couple of times and Whitefield Honda fixed it without any issue.

After a Civic, what? Good question. Its pretty tough to choose. The Altis is a good bet. Solid Japanese build quality and lot of bells and whistles. But if that doesn't inspire you then frankly the choices are quite limited.

I wouldn't recommend Skoda after all the horror stories associated with it.

Howz the Sonata Petrol? I'm sure they have one. I'm not sure on the pricing though.
Old 21st January 2010, 22:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

For a Petrol Sedan I'd recommend the below 2 options in your budget -

Toyota Corolla Altis - Top End Variant - Absolute Bliss to drive and much better than Civic in many areas.

Skoda Laura 1.8 Petrol - Again a very nice car and brilliant to drive.

Honda Accord - I am not sure what the base 2.4 costs, BUT I assume it will be about 17 lacs or so.
Old 21st January 2010, 23:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
2. Cruze - Looks great. But we already have spark and we are not fan of the engine. Its simple not as smooth as our WagonR (or Civic). So have doubts about Cruze engine. (We would go for Petrol only. Dad hates diesel). Also GM service is a concern. havent heard anything rave about it.
1) Spark and Cruze have engines from different parts of the world. The spark motor is not one of the best units and we all know this. Its a GM Ecotec IIRC, which is nothing but a motor that has its roots back in history and is not a modern unit.

Cruze engine is good. Its basically VM Motori's RA 420 engine that is also available in Captiva. The engine has turbolag, but after around 2000 rpm its a gives good performnace. There are threads running on Cruze on TBHP.

So spark and Cruze engine are not at all related and dont go by the spark experience. Its nothing but a worked upon Matiz.

Regarding service, GM and ford are actually putting in a lot of effort to reduce the spare part price and overall service experience.
IIRC, GM has its parts priced pretty low. Not sure about Cruze though, but I expect it to be cheaper than what VW and Skoda are dishing out under the " Premium " tag.

2) If you dont want Cruze or any other diesel, then you have very limited options. One is Altis. Do go by the looks. The car is not bad at all and though the sporty edge of Civic is not there, overall, it is much more practical car. Atleast do a TD.

3) Accord. If you are able to think about Fortuner and Captiva, then budget wise you can also consider Accord.

4) This is a segment below, but the car is not that bad. The G3HC i.e. ANHC. Yes, the Honda City. Has almost everything you want.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 21st January 2010 at 23:23.
Old 21st January 2010, 23:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

I am tempted to say Laura TSI but Skoda is famous, today saw another recovery truck and guess what was being towed, yes a new one at that. Gosh! wake up Skoda, I love the engine, give Indians a chance and we will love anyone.

I think Altis is the only choice for you if not a second hand Accord.

Cheers!
Old 22nd January 2010, 00:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Go with the Cruze. I doubt you've heard rave reviews about ANY company's A.S.S.
Old 22nd January 2010, 00:25   #9
BHPian

I suggest you to go with Toyota Corolla Altis...
Old 22nd January 2010, 00:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think Corolla Altis would be your safest bet. It's looks might be plain jane but it does come with a whole lot of features which the Civic is missing such as HID's, steering mounted audio controls to name a few. The performance is pretty decent too...

OR

You could go for the Laura 1.8 TSI, if Skoda's A.S.S is not too much of a concern for you and you also won't miss the sporty edge of the Civic.
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

im not amazed how the road conditions, fuel quality, service quality can affect the vehicle itself!

my civic is 2006 april model and today i got service done for 165,000kms, the civic still touches 200kmph without any extra booster!

go for SX4, its got bigger 16" wheels and very good GC.
Old 22nd January 2010, 05:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Avoid the Cruze and the Laura.
If your grandparents weren't comfortable in the Civic, they wont be very impressed with the Cruze or Laura either. Atleast my father wasn't.
I would sincerely recommend the Altis. It may not be as sporting, or as spacious, but it is a very well built, reliable, comfortable day to day performer.
The engine is beautiful, but the suspension isn't as sporty as that of the civic. However, a change of tyres, and it will definitely give the Civic competition in the straights, though it will lose out a bit on the corners.
Old 23rd January 2010, 23:37   #13
BHPian

There is no better car to match your requirement than Corolla Altis. It is comfortable to drive, great rear seat comfort and low cost of ownership.
Old 24th January 2010, 19:05   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You stand to lose a substantial amount in depreciation on your Civic. Best for you to negate those losses and buy a used Altis AT. Not tough to find, and most probably, you'll not pay anything over at all. More like a zero value lateral upgrade.
Old 24th January 2010, 20:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You stand to lose a substantial amount in depreciation on your Civic. Best for you to negate those losses and buy a used Altis AT. Not tough to find, and most probably, you'll not pay anything over at all. More like a zero value lateral upgrade.

I Second that...!!!

Though given a second thought, Cruze is a good car, took a test drive recently, and was definitely over whelmed by the performance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks