Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: If I had to buy one of these two sedans today I will put my money on,
Swift DZire 76 23.46%
Tata Manza 248 76.54%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 11:20   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Yes, they're trying "real hard"
Well there are two options, either you can read the thread on the Fiat First program where two teambhpians have pointed out how they received terrific service from Fiat at times of distress, or like an ostrich (with its head buried in the sand) be blind to the fact and just criticize.

I can think of a very plausible scenario, that might happen quite often in India. It's called a punctured tire (by the way, tires are made of rubber). Now imagine a case where the TD vehicle suffered a puncture and they used a fantastic device called the "jack" to lift the car and then change the tire, so that the test drive vehicle could be driven by prospective customers.

I can also bet, that had you gone for a test-drive and been told, "Sir, there is a puncture, you need to wait for a test-drive", you would have come back to teambhp and criticize them to kingdom come.

As far as trying "real hard" is concerned, you need to start looking at the ownership reports.
Old 26th January 2010, 11:29   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
But the manza looks like it was designed by a bunch of dyslexic school kids.

The side view of the manza is horrible and the boot looks like it has been pasted on just for namesake.

Look at the side profile of both the cars, and according to me 'dyslexic school kids' designed Manza looks like a proper car. Dezire NO comments!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Yes, they're trying "real hard"
Most of the manufacturer give set of 4 alloy wheels and spare tyre pressed wheel. What do you do in a tyre puncture situation. What happened to punto is the same.

FYI I do not own TATA, MARUTI or FIAT.

And TATA car age badly??? Yes 2 year old TATA Indica looks bad comparing to Two year old Swift. But I check its odometer reading before making any comments, according to me that tells the age
Attached Thumbnails
Which Car is better : Maruti Dzire Vdi or Tata Manza Aura?-manzasideview.jpg  

Which Car is better : Maruti Dzire Vdi or Tata Manza Aura?-desiresideview.jpg  

Old 26th January 2010, 13:16   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Look at the side profile of both the cars, and according to me 'dyslexic school kids' designed Manza looks like a proper car. Dezire NO comments!!!
+1 to what Latheesh said.

Damn, the Manza looks extremely proportionate compared to dzire. After comparing the two side profile i was like this looking at how ugly dzire looks. I think those kids should be hired by Suzuki to design a new version of dzire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Regarding the looks of the vehicle.
almost every one agrees that if the Dzire was released before the swift then you might have felt the swift being awkward.
But the manza looks like it was designed by a bunch of dyslexic school kids.
The side view of the manza is horrible and the boot looks like it has been pasted on just for namesake.

And Vinay, while i agree that looks varies from p2p (person to person), i don't think its requires any brain storming to see which 1 is better

As for resale value, do i care about it if i am gonna use it for 5+ years? hell no. Who cares, how much do i get when i sell it to someone whom i don't know.

Just my opinion. YMMV

Last edited by chevelle : 26th January 2010 at 13:18.
Old 26th January 2010, 13:58   #64
BHPian

My vote will go for Tata Indigo Manza as:
1. More spacious & more comfortable.
2. Better & aggressive looks that aged looks of Swift.
3. Italian design.
4. Better pick up & mileage with same MJD engine.
5. More boot space.
6. Refined interiors.
Old 26th January 2010, 15:17   #65
Senior - BHPian

If you need a good car as a product then Manza it is.
Old 26th January 2010, 15:57   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Such things happen with all cars. Most Maruti parts are very flimsy especially on the lower end cars. Such logic dosen't make the Dzire a better car. Maruti's name is only built on A.S.S. Also Tata's is not bad, just rough around the edges. They are pretty good.I had a Tata car for 31/2 years and not once faced any issues with the product quality. The Manza is a far better car than the one I had.
Hi. Point taken. I still feel that all TATA cars are built on identical platforms. For a lehman like myself who make up the bulk of auto buyers, they will go by what they hear. And one will hear good things about Maruti. Yes to a certain extent brand image matters as to which is a better car. In MY opinion the Dzire outclasses the Manza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
@rjalihal: 'Once a Tata, always a Tata. No offence' - I would like to disagree here a bit. Having had my share of experiences with different generation of Tata cars, I can confidently tell you that Tata has done lot of improvements to quality of the parts and their A$$. I do not say that Tata have ironed out all the issues in the new cars, but they are definitely leagues ahead of the older cars from Tatas stable.
Yes they have improved. But still seem to be very unrefined vehicles. They lack that finesse which rivals have. If you look at a picture of Manza, cover the trunk it looks like an Indica. Thus i said once a Tata always a Tata. They all look alike!
Old 26th January 2010, 16:22   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
@ aggoswami,

your assumptions about safety are very biased,

Firstly, if Tata can get the Nano to get a 4 star NCAP rating albeit modified, one can be pretty sure that the Manza will pass through it with flying colours. It wasnt just the Swift that was designed to sell in wider markets but it applies to the Vista as well. Tata's have a great reputation in making cars that are crash tested rather than getaway with whatever loopholes our present national safety standards allow .

Secondly, you assumption that the D'zire will get 4 stars in the NCAP is Bu11crap. The European Swift uses side airbags and curtain airbags to get the 4 star rating, none of which are present in the D'zire. All it has is dual airbags upfront in the top end models which is the same for the Manza.

So aggoswami either leave the assumptions to the experts or back it up with actual data.
You are assuming that just because the European version of the Nano passed the crash test, the Indian Manza would also do the same?

While on the other hand, you compare the Indian and the European versions of the Swift.

Stick to one protocol, mate!

Last edited by DRIV3R : 26th January 2010 at 16:24.
Old 26th January 2010, 16:52   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Reminds me of an ostrich.
Care to explain why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
That leaves no point for discussion now, Does it ??? Tata is Tata. Bad. No sorry, Pathetic and would stay like that no matter how hard they try. Right.

Actually, Government should pass a law banning Tata altogether and show mercy on Indian public. I mean how can Government be so blind and even allow a company with such a shoddy standards be even passed fit to manufacture vehicles.
Wow! I guess you must be working for TATA. Nice try at sarcasm my friend. Dont take it so personally, I never said Tata was that lousy (the way you reacted). They can still continue making cars! You truly are hilarious!
Old 26th January 2010, 16:55   #69
BHPian

Quote:
There is a demand but 6 months waiting period is just a marketing gimmick to hide their manufacturing inefficiency.

In India, anything with a waiting period is lapped up like it comes for free. This is just a Marketing tactic from Maruti. When the same Engine goes into Ritz and Swift, how come FIAT will object to only Dzire.

Swift is good but Dezire - big no!! :-)
+1

Quote:

And TATA car age badly??? Yes 2 year old TATA Indica looks bad comparing to Two year old Swift. But I check its odometer reading before making any comments, according to me that tells the age
Once again I agree - So, for the buyer - If you're occasional user - Go for Dzire - You'll have good resale value after 5 years but with low milaege.

For frequent users or Mile munchers - Its got to be Manza. Damn with the Resale value of about 10-15% more, because you would've utilised the Car more than that.

[quote=chevelle;1700275]+1 to what Latheesh said.
Old 26th January 2010, 17:51   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
If you look at a picture of Manza, cover the trunk it looks like an Indica. Thus i said once a Tata always a Tata. They all look alike!
You do the same thing to dzire and it looks like swift. Its a known fact that both these sedans have been designed originally from hatchback. The only question is, which one has integrated it better, makes the sedan look proportionate and better looking, and from side and rear profile, manza is much better. this is just my opinion. i don't think one needs a trained eye to find out the difference. So will i say, once a Maruti always a Maruti?? No. Its just called platform sharing, if they can get to spawn more models of same platform and bring them profitable business, it does make economic and business sense. Good looks is just an advantage.

p.s: i am not sure if its true or not, but i think NHC was also derived from Jazz/Fit. I may be wrong. experts can clear this up. But in case it is, the integration is quite good and makes it look good.

Last edited by chevelle : 26th January 2010 at 17:54.
Old 26th January 2010, 18:34   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
If you look at a picture of Manza, cover the trunk it looks like an Indica. Thus i said once a Tata always a Tata. They all look alike!
I'm not comparing TATA with the Germans but could not resist my self. What are your thoughts on Merc/BMW/AUDI ? don't they carry over the family look rather the brand look?

By the way other then the boot job, there are more differences between Indica Vista and Indigo Manza and very less between Swift and Swift DZire

Regarding TATA building cars on identical platform, well its Maruti Suzuki who has more cars rather "different Shells" build on the same platform!!

M800 & Omni
Alto, Wagon R & Zen Estilo
Swift, DZire, Ritz & A-Star
Old 26th January 2010, 19:04   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
By the way other then the boot job, there are more differences between Indica Vista and Indigo Manza and very less between Swift and Swift DZire
In comparison with Top end Vista hatch Manza sedan top variant has very specific key differentiators:

1) All new dash board
2) All new Steering with audio /phone control swiches
3) Blue and me type standard audio
4) ABS & Airbags
5) All new three barrel head lights
6)Rear seat with armrest & integrated cupholders
7) Driver Multi Information Display
8) Electric ORVMs
9) Chrome protector lining on front and rear bumpers
10) All new front chrome grill
11) Six speakers
12) 15 inch 185 wheels

Any more Manza specific items please add to this list
Old 26th January 2010, 19:12   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
In comparison with Top end Vista hatch Manza sedan top variant has very specific key differentiators:

1) All new dash board
11) Six speakers
12) 15 inch 185 wheels

Must Adds: Totally different petrol engine and a slightly different diesel
Old 26th January 2010, 19:39   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post

1) All new dash board
2) All new Steering with audio /phone control swiches
3) Blue and me type standard audio
4) ABS & Airbags
5) All new three barrel head lights
6)Rear seat with armrest & integrated cupholders
7) Driver Multi Information Display
8) Electric ORVMs
9) Chrome protector lining on front and rear bumpers
10) All new front chrome grill
11) Six speakers
12) 15 inch 185 wheels
13) Totally different petrol engine and a slightly different diesel.
Now its time for list of differences between Swift and Swift DZire.
1. Boot
2. Boot
100. Boot
101. Oh yeah,I got one more DZire has some chrome on grill which Swift lacks!!
Anything else??

Note: I did not take any pain to find differences between Swift & DZire. Can any TATA basher or DZire lover take some time to list the differences??

Last edited by HammerHead : 26th January 2010 at 19:42.
Old 26th January 2010, 19:51   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I'm not comparing TATA with the Germans but could not resist my self. What are your thoughts on Merc/BMW/AUDI ? don't they carry over the family look rather the brand look?

Regarding TATA building cars on identical platform, well its Maruti Suzuki who has more cars rather "different Shells" build on the same platform!!

M800 & Omni
Alto, Wagon R & Zen Estilo
Swift, DZire, Ritz & A-Star
German cars are nice. Wish i could afford one! Tata is nice too, but brand perception varies. Yes all Maruti cars you mentioned are built on the same platform. Now we getting carried away into an entirely different field. Indica, Indigo and Manza share similarities. Swift and Dzire also are the same car, one comes with a boot. Yes i see that. The point i am trying to make is that while both Maruti and Tata build cars on the same platform, the end result of maruti is quite different. Swift/Dzire, Ritz and A Star look quite different from each other. In Tata, Indica/Indigo/Manza look quite similar. So from Indica, they made a saloon. Now they made that to a luxury car. Accepted. See they have 1 car itself. In different avatars. Thats the way i see it, thats all. Swift/Dzire is also the same but dont look alike any other Maruti siblings from the same platform they share. End of the day, of the new cars coming out, looks matter too. Taking that into account TO ME Swift DZire is better than Manza. I am no car expert, they say Manza Diesel packs more punch than the DZire VDi. Until the day i drive it, i stand by my opinion.

Most Viewed