Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 20:37   #1

Optra Magnum LT (Diesel) VS (ANHC and Linea) !!

Guys, you might think these cars, Magnum and (ANHC, Linea) might belong to 2 different segments, but what if you could get hold of a brand new Magnum LT at the price of top end versions of either the ANHC or Linea. The price list is as below (On Road, Bangalore),

1. Optra Magnum LT (D) - 9.86L
2. ANHC VMT - 10.7L
3. Linea E+ 1.4 T-JET - 10L (Expected)

My friend intends to buy one of these cars. I had suggested either the ANHC or Linea (based on his personal tastes), however I am mighty confused between the Magnum and the other 2 cars after having a look at the price. What do you guys think??

*Please do not make it a comparo between ANHC and Linea. As the title reads its between the Magnum and the other 2.
Old 29th January 2010, 21:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Depends upon his usage/preference. You are comparing a diesel with a petrol car(ANHC). Diesel car are inherently more expensive than petrol to purchase.
Old 29th January 2010, 21:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Depends upon his usage/preference. You are comparing a diesel with a petrol car(ANHC). Diesel car are inherently more expensive than petrol to purchase.
But as you can see the listed prices below, the diesel is coming for a cheaper price than the petrol.

Given the power that the magnum has to offer, and also the price at which you are getting it on-road, it seems to be a better deal.

There is an ANHC and Linea comparo in terms of ergonomics. You can check that as well to get a better idea.

As it stands my vote for the magnum.
Old 29th January 2010, 21:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingStripes View Post
Guys, you might think these cars, Magnum and (ANHC, Linea) might belong to 2 different segments, but what if you could get hold of a brand new Magnum LT at the price of top end versions of either the ANHC or Linea. The price list is as below (On Road, Bangalore),

1. Optra Magnum LT (D) - 9.86L
2. ANHC VMT - 10.7L
3. Linea E+ 1.4 T-JET - 10L (Expected)

My friend intends to buy one of these cars. I had suggested either the ANHC or Linea (based on his personal tastes), however I am mighty confused between the Magnum and the other 2 cars after having a look at the price. What do you guys think??
If I were in your friend's place, I would go in for Magnum diesel. The unit is good enough, the car has got good space, good ride and even handling, good high speed stability. The suspension is independent all round. One the best sedans with that diesel engine.

T-Jet is yet to come, and when we compare G3HC ( i.e. ANHC ) with Magnum, I think for most of the parameters, Magnum wins.
Old 29th January 2010, 22:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Optra's now outdated and with the Cruze coming in sales have dipped to an all time low !

Between the ANHC & Linea TJet I'd pick the ANHC.
Old 29th January 2010, 22:44   #6
BHPian

At the price quoted, I'd choose the Magnum Diesel.

Good performance, fuel economy and a great ride with fairly good composure at high speed. It beats the other competitors in these parameters.
Old 29th January 2010, 23:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Actually, what made you consider the Magnum? Is it just because of its price?
When comparing the Optra with the other two, Optra is better in most aspects. The price is also very attractive. But things may not be so sweet at the time of selling it. Resale value of Optra is terrible! and now with the Cruze out, Optra is no more a good buy.
I would suggest to buy either ANHC or Linea. These are comparitively new cars and will hold their value better than Optra.
Old 30th January 2010, 14:48   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Optra Magnum is still a (surprisingly) competitive sedan in terms of power, space and ride comfort. Unfortunately, in other areas such as design, safety, dynamics and resale, it loses out massively. The Optra depreciates as much as 50% in one year of ownership. Plus, the massive turbo-lag doesn't make it suited to the city.

If your friend wants diesel, the Linea it is. Super ride, handling, safety, equipment and fuel efficiency. The area where it loses out to the Magnum is in outright power, but you need to see how high that is on your friends requirement list. Of course, owning a Fiat has its own share of headaches and niggles.

Petrol : Honda City. No questions asked and the safest bet amongst petrol C segment sedans. It's a class-topper thanks to its all-rounded nature.
Old 15th February 2010, 14:02   #9
BHPian

Did your friend finally decide? Hope the Optra is not from '09?

Saw Y/day's TOI listed TCDi LS @ 8.49 ex-showroom. Guess the Optra is beind EOL'ed.
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:11   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Did your friend finally decide? Hope the Optra is not from '09?

Saw Y/day's TOI listed TCDi LS @ 8.49 ex-showroom. Guess the Optra is beind EOL'ed.
Thats an amazing price for the Magnum. It would be a perfect choice for someone who wishes to not look at another car for atleast 5 years.
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:48   #11
BHPian

It all depends on the person's choice. If he is 'shaukeen', Magnum is awesome. If he considers resale to be more important than outright power and want to play safe rather than making a distinct purchase, Honda is cool. Magnum is anyway more practical and spacious. The price is rock star. I would buy the Magnum for some novelty factor and soup it up nicely so it looks unique, keep it in the family for ever instead of thinking about selling it one day.

Last edited by abhi1309 : 3rd March 2010 at 16:02.
Old 28th April 2010, 12:01   #12

Sorry guys couldnt update the thread in time. He went for the optra magnum as he considered linea t-jet to be a long wait and city to be very pricy.
Old 29th July 2010, 15:26   #13
BHPian

Does anyone know the current OTR for Magnum 2.0 LT after all discounts? Is it still sub 10 lakhs?
Old 29th July 2010, 18:14   #14
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Working by elimination:
If re-sale and the idea of driving a dated car is non digestible- Eliminate Optra
If taking a risk with A** and unwilling to live with possible niggling issues- eliminate Linea
If need a diesel ONLY- eliminate ANHC ( also maybe the fact that its the highest cost)
Such decisions warrant certain non negotiables and strong factors based on which one can narrow done, does anything like that exist with your friend?
Old 30th July 2010, 12:35   #15
BHPian

@ mkh - read post #12, the buyer had already bought a Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Working by elimination:
If re-sale and the idea of driving a dated car is non digestible- Eliminate Optra
If taking a risk with A** and unwilling to live with possible niggling issues- eliminate Linea
If need a diesel ONLY- eliminate ANHC ( also maybe the fact that its the highest cost)
Such decisions warrant certain non negotiables and strong factors based on which one can narrow done, does anything like that exist with your friend?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks