Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:56   #1
BHPian

Buying Dilemma - SX4 Automatic or i20 Auto or Verna CRDi Auto

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine is in need of some advice and where better to get it than on TBHP!!!

He is looking to buy a new car which MUST be an Automatic due to back problems. He has narrowed down his search to the SX4, Verna CRDi and i20 Automatics. He would like to have ABS and airbags. Must be trouble free (as his wife will be driving it mostly) and have low maintenance costs.

He is not too fussed about having a boot and the car will be driven about 30 Kms a day max - in Goa. No highway travel intended.

I have advised him to go for the SX4 but he is a bit apprehensive about the high boot and reversing. Also as we are all aware, visibility around the "A" pillar is not the best.
He is also quite taken with the gizmos in the I20.
I have advised him against the Verna due to poor resale value (correct me if I'm wrong) and also no airbags. Also diesel not required for such low daily mileage.

He/She is not a fast driver. The max speed the car will be driven at is 100Kmph.

Fuel consumption is not an issue.

Would appreciate you guys thoughts and advice which I can pass on to him.

Any owners of the above cars, I would really appreciate your feedback and input and any problems you have faced.

Cheers,

SS
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:11   #2
BHPian

Hi Suzuki San, i think you and your friend have already narrowed down the options to I20, otherwise also your friends apprehension about the big boot of SX4 are justified to an extent, i would also suggest you go with either of the hyundai cars and take your time and lots of TDs before deciding between the Verna Auto and I20 auto, which i reckon would come down to only one point ' To Boot or Not To Boot'' .
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:32   #3
BHPian

So as I understand it, here are the must haves:
1. Automatic transmission
2. ABS
3. Airbags
4. Trouble free
5. Low maintenance costs

Based on these factors and the other good to have ones, I would suggest that he go in for the i20 automatic.
Reasons:
Meets must have criteria - check
Good city car - check
Comfortable - check
Good features for the price - check
Decent service network - check
Costs - next only to Maruti

So unless the boot is mandatory and highway drives are planned, I would recommend the i20 as a good city car that meets all the needs.
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:46   #4
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input.

I have passed the same on to him and he has decided to go for the I20 Auto.
Wouldn't be my choice. I would have gone for the SX4 (see my user name!!!!) but there you go!!

Thanks again.

Regards,

SS
Old 4th March 2010, 09:31   #5
BHPian

Hey SS

Without doubt the choice has to be i20, the SX4 is no doubt a good car but for some one who is not particular about a boot - the A pillar trauma is just not called for.. especially not in the narrow winding roads of goa !
Old 4th March 2010, 10:18   #6
BHPian

The best automatic under 10L is All New Honda City (ANHC), the i20 Automatic is not in circulation, I have not seen any on the road and if I am not wrong then only one i20 Automatic thread is there in TBHP as well.

If your friend really wants trouble free automatic then go only for ANHC, there are many threads on ANHC automatic as well (including mine).

On the average part as well, the i10 and i20 automatic dont give more than 7-8kmpl, where as ANHC is easily giving 11kmpl (mine giving same even I have not completed 1000km and first service yet).

ANHC has got dual mode and paddle shifters as well, which is fun to drive, and in next 5-6 years the resale of automatic will only increase and at that time having automatic from Honda will fetch more money.
Old 4th March 2010, 10:33   #7
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Good choice- i20 is a reliable and comfortable car - just a note: automatics anyways have lower resale value
MODS: since the decision is made, maybe its best to close the thread
Old 4th March 2010, 10:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
The best automatic under 10L is All New Honda City (ANHC), the i20 Automatic is not in circulation, I have not seen any on the road and if I am not wrong then only one i20 Automatic thread is there in TBHP as well.

If your friend really wants trouble free automatic then go only for ANHC, there are many threads on ANHC automatic as well (including mine).

On the average part as well, the i10 and i20 automatic dont give more than 7-8kmpl, where as ANHC is easily giving 11kmpl (mine giving same even I have not completed 1000km and first service yet).

ANHC has got dual mode and paddle shifters as well, which is fun to drive, and in next 5-6 years the resale of automatic will only increase and at that time having automatic from Honda will fetch more money.
I beg to differ - i20 automatics are totally in circulation.
i10 A/T uses the kappa 1.2 engine, and i20 A/T uses the gamma 1.4 engine - so I do not think one should put them in the same bracket.
I have been getting constant 12 kmpl - 13.5 kmpl from my i10 A/T, and I think the 'lone i20 A/T guy in Tbhp' aint doing too bad either (around 10 kmpl reported before 1st service).

And I guess i20 A/T owners have increased in tbhp - check out the last 2 posts in this page
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-report-7.html

Last edited by blackasta : 4th March 2010 at 10:52.
Old 12th March 2010, 14:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
The best automatic under 10L is All New Honda City (ANHC)
ONE. The ANHC is so not under 10L.

Quote:
the i20 Automatic is not in circulation, I have not seen any on the road and if I am not wrong then only one i20 Automatic thread is there in TBHP as well.
TWO. What exactly is circulation? Either ways, it's totally selling, there are four in my friend circle. And because there's just one thread doesn't mean it should be rejected. You would be suprised by how many people on the forum don't talk about their cars here.

Quote:
If your friend really wants trouble free automatic then go only for ANHC, there are many threads on ANHC automatic as well (including mine). On the average part as well, the i10 and i20 automatic dont give more than 7-8kmpl, where as ANHC is easily giving 11kmpl (mine giving same even I have not completed 1000km and first service yet).
That's the reason to buy one? Because there are many threads? And FE is all down to the way you drive. My 320d's giving me ~12 kmpl, and not even crossed 400km yet. Does that make your ANHC bad? I don't think so. It's still a great car.

Suzuki_San, i20 Automatic all the way. The requirements you have listed are what this car was meant for.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 12th March 2010 at 14:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks