Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 22:59   #1
BHPian

Why would somebody buy a Petrol Verna?

Hi
One of my friend's got his White Verna Petrol today. Now, before I start off, I would like to make it clear that this thread is not supposed to offend anybody. This is just a confusion in my mind.

Now, I was like it must be a diesel. But, then I asked him and he replied it's a petrol. Now, what would have made him buy a Petrol Verna. For me a diesel Verna sounds acceptable. I can't ask him directly as it may offend him. So, I ask you guys, why would he have gone for it? There were so many better options (Fiesta, SX4 or even Aveo). Plus, there are not many safety features in the Verna sedan.

Moreover, my tenants had bought a Petrol Verna as a second hand car from someone and they were literally shaken when the car refused to give a mileage above 10Km/l under any driving conditions.

Once again, no offenses meant, it's just a bit peculiar for me. Could it be less knowledge to wards cars that he ended up buying this?
Regards
Abhinav Sharma
Old 6th March 2010, 09:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Your friend is the best person where you could get the answer from. You could probably tell him politely telling you love Verna & some day you like to own one. Ask how did you make a right choice on your petrol Verna, as you're running into a confusion between petrol & diesel.

Anything on this forum will be the opinion of everyone else.
Old 6th March 2010, 10:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

I can think of some reasons to buy a petrol Verna. In fact, these reasons apply in general to factors that appeal to the buyers of slow selling cars.

1) Looks: Purely subjective and the friend in question might really like the Verna's looks. It is pretty handsome, you must admit. Plus, Vernas are rare and that throws in some exclusivity.

2) Discounts: I'm sure he got a good one. Petrol Vernas are very slow sellers.

3) Hyundai experience: Is he a previous Hyundai owner? If he had a good experience with his old car, he'd be tempted to stick with the same company.

If you really think about it, modern cars are well matched in terms of performance, ride and handling, space, features etc. Sure, some are better than others but the differences are minor. Nothing you can't live with. That's why factors like looks, hassle free ownership, etc. become so important. This is where some are very good while others are absolutely crap.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 6th March 2010 at 10:22.
Old 6th March 2010, 10:36   #4
BHPian

Some assumptions from my side purely as per my opinion.

Why a Petrol ?
- Cause the total KM's covered per month by him are less and so does not make sense buying a diesel (i.e. when u do the complete math of the extra you pay for the diesel version car Vs the savings on fuel)
- Petrol engine is more smoother and refined.

Why a Petrol Verna ?
- I can think of only the looks , maybe he likes it.
Rest all , I believe the other cars are better.
Old 6th March 2010, 10:50   #5
BHPian

There are a lot of things that could have made him take such a decision.
-Looks-absolutely subjective to taste.
-Discounts-probably corporate link between his company n hyundai
-For the high rev all though fiesta n other options are available
-The local price difference between Petrol and Diesel in Faridabad.
-And he probably likes the korean design and "korean quality(especially of interiors)".Pun intended.

And this question is reason enough for you to ask him to let you to take the car for a spin..;-)
Old 6th March 2010, 11:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes a Petrol Verna is a rare seller BUT not that rare too. In fact on my last visit to Hyundai Gurgaon the guy said he easily sold a few a month and that is only 1 dealer I am talking about. At 6.5 Lacs or so after discounts the car is not bad !!

It's spacious, got a good engine. Mileage is low - 10 kpl or so would be right.

The only other car I truly feel in this segment at this price is the Fiesta.

If I was to buy a car I would pick the Fiesta Petrol 1.6 any day over the Petrol Verna. The diesel is something else and nothing comes close to it That is why I own one.

To each his own ! There is only one thing that will bother him and that is resale of Verna Petrol is not that great. But then are not too many in the second hand market also so maybe i am wrong on that one too !
Old 6th March 2010, 12:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Honestly - is this such a puzzling question that we need a separate thread for it? All I can say is that your post comes with certain preconcieved notions/beliefs regarding the Verna (There were so many better options (Fiesta, SX4 or even Aveo). Plus, there are not many safety features in the Verna sedan).

We can all hypothesize till kingdom come but not answer for your friend.

And FWIW, a Verna petrol if driven well, gets 14 kpl in gurgaon city. But you wouldn't know its a 1.6 or a 1.0 under the boot if u were in the car the way it was being driven by my friend
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2010, 12:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes companies do bulk purchase to provide their top management a Chauffeur driven car.

Why do they buy a Verna Petrol ?
1.Hyundai gives good corporate discount, may be.
2.4yrs comprehensive warranty which is not available with diesel version.
3.In their opinion, Diesels are more vulnerable than petrol in the long run leading to high maintenance bills.
4. Management's strong preference for a certain brand.

In my office there are
126 Vernas
72 Aveo
16 Elantras

and all are Petrol variants. :
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2010, 12:22   #9
BHPian

Possible that his running is such that a diesel is not required. Or he could be a petrolhead, like most of us

I don't think this thread is really necessary. The mods could shift it to the shifting gears section.
Old 6th March 2010, 13:17   #10
kkg
BHPian

May be he has plan to convert it into CNG over the years, there are so many Vernas on Cng all over Delhi.

The day is not far when Petrol will be Rs 60/ltr, diesel Rs 45/ltr and CNG would be around rs 30/kg. A CNG verna wolud make sense that day...
Old 6th March 2010, 15:17   #11
BHPian

Whats FWIW?
And yes, I agree that the above mentioned scenarios are a possibility. Maybe, I am going to ask him today. And regarding the thread should be here or not, I think it still has a potential to give some information to prospective Verna Petrol buyers. Anyways, the thread can be moved wherever it suits the mods.
Old 6th March 2010, 15:26   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Honestly - is this such a puzzling question that we need a separate thread for it? All I can say is that your post comes with certain preconcieved notions/beliefs regarding the Verna (There were so many better options (Fiesta, SX4 or even Aveo). Plus, there are not many safety features in the Verna sedan).
Verna petrol if driven well, gets 14 kpl in gurgaon city. But you wouldn't know its a 1.6 or a 1.0 under the boot if u were in the car the way it was being driven by my friend
My Father In Law owns a Petrol Verna. The car is not bad. At least better looking than the SX4 or Aveo. Comfort wise better than the Fiesta. The power and handling are not good but it is great as a chauffer driven car. Milege is not as bad as stated in some of the posts. He gets around 12-13 Kmpl.
Old 6th March 2010, 17:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
In my office there are
126 Vernas
72 Aveo
16 Elantras

and all are Petrol variants. :
Wow !! I had no Idea there were that many in one single place.

I guess kpzen's post answers this thread's question perfectly.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2010, 17:41   #14
BHPian

vkochar - Is the verna really that cheap . That is 6.5 lacs . Last i had enquired it was almost nearing 8L for the base variant.
In fact that was what made me spend additional 1.5L and go for New City.

In any case verna petrol too by any means is not a wrong choice. Hyundai cars ( and sedans in particular ) are extremely low cost to maintain , rattle free and no nonsense work horses.

And if running in kms per month is low then mileage of car really does not matter. the car becomes a matter of convenience thing .
Old 6th March 2010, 18:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

My uncle bought a P Verna in 2008 for 8L (despite me tellin him about the diesel). Tried selling it the very next year with 8,000kms on the odo. The best offer he got was for 6.2L. Hyundai offered 6L.

He's decided to keep it now, but wished he had bought the diesel.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed