Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 22:34   #1
BHPian

Cruze Petrol???

Hey guys bad news, crashed my optra
The car has been declared total loss.
So here i am in search of finding a new sedan.
I am in no hurry to buy a car and this time i want to study them well before buying them.
p.s. I am really looking forward to petrol as its gonna be my dad's car and he doesn't drive much(optra had only done 25000kms in 5 yrs)
So i have short listed.
1.Jetta Petrol
2.Honda Civic v mt
3.Cruze petrol???
I got in touch with chevrolet dealership in chandigarh (dynamic motors.)
and the guy there says that chevy might bring out cruze with a petrol heart within 3-6 months .
Is this for real???
He also said cruze ltz petrol might be around 10-11ish lacs.
can anyone bring light on this subject.
Thanks
ishlinea7260
Old 12th March 2010, 11:00   #2
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your Optra ! RIP !

Internationally, the diesel variant has done better than the petrol, this could be the reason why GM took only one foot forward when they decided to launch the Cruze. 3 - 6 months is wide window and could be just a hopeful speculation. It may be launched this year, it may not be, but the question is, why not try a Sonata - priced almost in the C+ range, but a VFM D segment car.

Civic imho is an overpriced offering in India unless you are planning a pre-owned low mileage car - which is in the minds of most bhpians now after seeing GTOs spectacular "pre-worshipped" car. Its a stunner at that price.

Jetta is a good option in diesel, not a big fan of the Jetta petrol. For enthusiasts, Cedia sports is a great option too. Its fully loaded and at a very attractive price.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you're getting a Cruze, make it a diesel. Chevy's here have never been famous for their Petrol units (except their small cars). Add to that the lower resale value of their petrols.

Shan2nu
Old 12th March 2010, 18:19   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Korean petrols aren't anything to write home about. While I don't know of any Cruze petrol in the near future, the diesel has outstanding performance. I'm pretty sure the diesel will remain the engine of choice, even after / if the petrol is launched.

Your Dad is chauffeur-driven? In that case, you should only consider the Altis from this segment. Best backseat, neat ride quality and immensely practical car.
Old 12th March 2010, 18:31   #5
BHPian

What's your budget? Since it will be your dad who will be travelling, I don't think he might need a performance oriented car. If you too drive it, then you can check out the Bimmer at 23l. Please mention your budget. If you have a chauffeur, it's the Altis and the Sonata.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:52   #6
BHPian

thanks guys for chipping in.
1. kartho, i never thought about sonata , guess will take a td, but somehow i dont want to spend 12 somethings on hyundai, no offence to any sonata owners and fans.i share your views on civic IMHO the have overpriced the car , but that makes up during excellent resale value (i guess).I went to see cedia sports , the car is fully loaded and just smokin cool! but i dont think the car is gonna suit dad since he is a doctor, he would like a elegant sedan (just like optra sigh! )

2.shan2nu you have a point , but the thing is since the car doesnt run much (25000 in 5 years) i dont know whether going in for a diesel will make sense what say?

3. gto the new car would be chauffer driven, i will start searching the forum for the reports on altis.

4.prateekm the budget is around 13 -14 bracket, I dont think i can even get a 2nd hand bimmer at that price ;-) .

So guys i guess its now between
Civic VS Altis VS Cruze VS Sonata.

I will keep you guys posted, on any td i do or any other advancement.
Regards
ishlinea7260
Old 13th March 2010, 09:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Altis would be the best bet.
since your dad will be chauffer driven.
Old 13th March 2010, 19:27   #8
Team-BHP Support

In the petrol category it has mostly been Toyota Vs Honda. Jetta petrol BTW is not in. They have stopped taking bookings. VW plans to bring a TSI I guess. Its the same engine planned for 1.6 Polo. Hence anyway for such a price does not make sense to buy a 1.6 petrol.
Old 15th March 2010, 11:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Altis is the only car in the segment which is safe and sound in every term.
Old 17th March 2010, 12:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
thanks guys for chipping in.
1. kartho, i never thought about sonata , guess will take a td, but somehow i dont want to spend 12 somethings on hyundai, no offence to any sonata owners and fans.i share your views on civic IMHO the have overpriced the car , but that makes up during excellent resale value (i guess).I went to see cedia sports , the car is fully loaded and just smokin cool! but i dont think the car is gonna suit dad since he is a doctor, he would like a elegant sedan (just like optra sigh! )
Agree that the sports variant may not go with your dad's profile, but what about cedia spirit ? either ways, if he is going to be chaffeured around, then, Altis may be a better bet !
Old 17th March 2010, 18:12   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartho View Post
Agree that the sports variant may not go with your dad's profile, but what about cedia spirit ? either ways, if he is going to be chaffeured around, then, Altis may be a better bet !
With its low-set rear seat, the Cedia is a poor car to be chauffeured around in. The Altis remains the best and is actually the all-rounder from the C+ segment. Higher positioning of the rear bench makes ingress / egress easier for the elderly too.
Old 17th March 2010, 18:28   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

You can even consider the ANHC which has a spacious backseat and save some $$$ from your budget for fuel over a few years.
Old 21st March 2010, 11:19   #13

Try doing some research on the Suzuki Kizashi. It should be placed at that price range. I am planning to do the same.
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretcraze View Post
Try doing some research on the Suzuki Kizashi. It should be placed at that price range. I am planning to do the same.
hey man i tried the same and what i have come to know is that the kizashi is slated to be launched either end of the year or beginning of 2011, according to the dealerships.
is it worth the wait, cause i am ready to wait if i get a "accord sized sedan for the price of a civic".
Any help on this topic would be great.

Most Viewed