Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2020, 06:30   #91
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned sedan under 4 lakhs

You should drop the idea of a Vento. Although solidly built, but a >6 years old car will have the maintenance cost exponentially increasing year on year.
From what you have shortlisted, I would suggest a Honda City which is abundant in the used car market in Mumbai. Use OLX and stay clear of dealers as much as possible.
TheRajput is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 07:00   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourishbiswas View Post
These are the list of requirements/wishes I have regarding the prospective purchase -

1. A petrol mid-size sedan, I have shortlisted these ones - Vento, Rapid, City, Verna

3. Good driving dynamics - my personal preference is something which would give more feel and feedback.

4. Safety and build quality - safety is a must as well as the overall build quality and suspension optimization.

5. Annual maintenance - I do not plan to spend more than 8-10k a year on its maintenance and a car with readily available parts with 3rd party garages would be preferable. A car with hassle free running with annual servicing.

7. Budget - Somewhere between 3.5 to 4 lakhs.

8. Odo and life - Although newer cars will be preferred but I am good with anything that is not above 70,000 kms and is not registered before 2011/12.

10. Transmission - Strictly manual

Some confusions/doubts I have -

1. Is it better to make the purchase in Pune or Mumbai? If I do get a better deal in Pune, is it troublesome to drive a Pune registered car in Mumbai? And is there a considerable cost difference in RC transfer in any of the cities?
In my opinion, the City is tailor made to suit your requirements. You have plenty of options to choose from since it’s a car that sold extremely well -

https://droom.in/cars/used?page=1&ta...on_type=manual

https://www.olx.in/mumbai_g4058997/q...earchCall=true

No matter which car you choose, be sure to get it checked by a honest mechanic/service centre, as you don’t want to end up with a car which was wrecked, flooded or stolen.

Also, since you want hassle free running with low annual maintenance, be adamant to have access to the service history of the car which you’re planning to buy & don’t be afraid to walk away if the records cannot be found. You don’t want to get stuck with a lemon/garage queen.

Apart from the City, you can also consider the Corolla & the Civic as they are extremely reliable too.

Stay away from used Germans with a barge pole since you want hassle free ownership.

If you are considering new/used Korean vehicles, feel free to have a read through this thread & form your own opinion about them -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

In these uncertain times, stick to buying the car from Bombay to avoid having hassles running between RTOs in case you need any documents relating to registration & transfer work later on.

Good luck with your search & choose wisely.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 00:09   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
From the shortlist, I will suggest you to go with the newest and cheapest example of City you can find that has ABS and airbags along with proper history of maintenance considering your budget for maintenance. I will stick with the Japanese and avoid the Germans/Koreans if reliability and easy maintenance are considered.

However, I will also suggest you look into the Linea as well. It will be great to drive, has reasonable reliability and has a solid build. Parts are available and the diesel power-train shared many components with cars from Tata and Maruti. But if you get a T-Jet that has been looked after, it will be the best available option.

I will agree with the sad build quality of most Marutis (we own two currently), but will still suggest you to look into the SX4 in its Z trim in person before ruling out. It was built better than most Marutis due to its Fiat and European roots. I own a 2008 ZXi since 2017 and it handles fairly well, has good ground clearance and has been easy on the pocket as well.

Also, unless you're restricting yourself by size, I will suggest you to look into the 8th generation Civic. Its a fairly reliable car with great driving experience and build. The major known issues are low ground clearance and steering pump leakage. But this will be my pick in the used segment below 4 lacs. The only major reason I did not pick this up back in 2017 before I got my SX4 was ground clearance as I travel on almost inexistent roads.

Apologies if we confuse you more and good luck hunting.

Thank you for your suggestion,
Actually the options given by you have broadened my horizon and I am sure it will help me find a better deal.

Surely will have a look at SX4, if I manage to find one.

Even I am a big fan of the Civic but skeptical regarding the same thing, its ground clearance.

Will surely update if I find anything suitable.

Last edited by sourishbiswas : 28th September 2020 at 00:23. Reason: Could not quote the message to the relevant reply
sourishbiswas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 00:19   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
In my opinion, the City is tailor made to suit your requirements. You have plenty of options to choose from since it’s a car that sold extremely well -

https://droom.in/cars/used?page=1&ta...on_type=manual

https://www.olx.in/mumbai_g4058997/q...earchCall=true

No matter which car you choose, be sure to get it checked by a honest mechanic/service centre, as you don’t want to end up with a car which was wrecked, flooded or stolen.

Also, since you want hassle free running with low annual maintenance, be adamant to have access to the service history of the car which you’re planning to buy & don’t be afraid to walk away if the records cannot be found. You don’t want to get stuck with a lemon/garage queen.

Apart from the City, you can also consider the Corolla & the Civic as they are extremely reliable too.

Stay away from used Germans with a barge pole since you want hassle free ownership.

If you are considering new/used Korean vehicles, feel free to have a read through this thread & form your own opinion about them -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

In these uncertain times, stick to buying the car from Bombay to avoid having hassles running between RTOs in case you need any documents relating to registration & transfer work later on.

Good luck with your search & choose wisely.
Thanks for the advice,
So the City seems to be the right option according to most.

I am a little skeptical on the Civic due to its ground clearance and the Corolla due to it being from a segment above and hence spare parts will cost more (not sure).

Yes, I certainly will get it inspected from a reliable garage or service.
Will surely update if I find the right one!
sourishbiswas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 14:43   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourishbiswas View Post
Thanks for the advice,
So the City seems to be the right option according to most.

I am a little skeptical on the Civic due to its ground clearance and the Corolla due to it being from a segment above and hence spare parts will cost more (not sure).

Yes, I certainly will get it inspected from a reliable garage or service.
Will surely update if I find the right one!
IIRC the city doesn't have great GC either and given you'll be driving on Bombay - please make sure to check the underbody too.

The Corolla in my opinion could be a better bet : it's build quality is superior to the city, has none of the ground clearance woes.
Yes parts will be more expensive : clutch, tyres, and suspension - but if you find an example in good condition / budget for the same - routine running costs will not be much higher.
Old 26th November 2020, 02:44   #96
BHPian

Re: Used Sedan: Budget 4 lakhs

Having owned Multiple City's and Altis', I feel they will be perfect for your requirements.

Try finding a car in the 3-3.2 lakhs range and spend 80-100k on refurbishing it mechanically and cosmetically and doing preventive maintenance. Trust me it will make all the difference in your ownership period because at the end of the day these are 8 year old cars you are looking at.

As an example, this is a friends Altis getting done up.

A city getting an exterior job.

Also, make sure the suspension is in good condition or better get the suspension job done yourself. In mumbai, with the road conditions having a good suspension is extremely important. Both the City and Altis will touch on worn out suspensions.

Used Sedan: Budget 4 lakhs-img_20201126_022732.jpg
This is what a worn out suspension on an Altis with 4 people + luggage will look like. Ditto for the City. (Again a friend's Altis done 2+ lakh km's)

I feel Altis is a much better car albeit with higher maintenance. It's NVH is lower and cruises more comfortably on the Expressway. The facelift model of the Altis also comes with a 6th gear which helps on the Expressway. The City will be more pocket friendly for sure though and I find it zippier to drive in traffic.

I have also found Mumbai cars to be cheaper than Pune cars because of the higher supply so you can search accordingly.

Last edited by Pratyush2407 : 26th November 2020 at 02:49.
Pratyush2407 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed