Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 13:38   #31
BHPian

I'd say you've got two options.
  1. Linea
  2. Fiesta

If you're okay with a pre-owned car, go for the Sonata Embera.

Personally, I don't like the way the Manza and the Dzire look. Both of them are hatches with a boot..

Reason to stay away from the Manza, after sales and services. You'll have to wait for the Dzire.

See you around!
Old 21st May 2010, 01:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

I am a month late but if you are still on lookout, consider a good used Optra Mangum. Optra doesn't have a very good resale value which is bad for brand-new buyers but is very good for used-buyers as it will come at a knocked down price and will not depreciate much from here onwards ( that is when it is time for you to sell 2/3 years down the road ).

Trust me, it will leave every thing else ( except Cruze ) under 15 lakhs in the dust. Yes, there is turbo lag but once that spools up, it hits you like tsunami. Cars which do not have turbo lag, take off fast but do run out of breath towards top end. On the other hand cars which have turbo lags wake up late but when they do, they accelerate very fast and generally have better top ends.
Old 14th June 2010, 21:40   #33
JLN
BHPian

I don't fully agree about the Magum tdci resale values. I personaly know 2 cases: 2009 LT Diesel (top end) original onroad - 11 lakhs. sold at 8.5 after 10 months (9000 on odo). 23% depreciation (not that bad for a car in that segment). 2nd one - 2008 LS Diesel onroad - 9.75, sold at 6.5 after 2 years and 30K on odo (again pretty low depreciation) for a car in that segment

Last edited by JLN : 14th June 2010 at 21:41.
Old 14th August 2010, 20:09   #34
BHPian

2nd round of advice

Gentlement,

Now that vento prices are out, i need to come back to you for Round 2 of opinions.

My needs:
1. decent social value
2. highway and poor roads driveability
3. Must be comfotable to sit in for 2-3 hrs at a stretch
4. Non niggles and great service experience
5. Decent total cost of ownership
6. Mid Size Diesel car with best VFM (boot needed for utility as i am in the construction biz)

Options
1. Suzuki Dzire VDI 7 Lakhs On road
2. Tata Manza Aura ABS 7.35 Lakhs On Road
3. Fiat Linea Dynamic 8.5 Lakhs on Road
4. Mahindra Scorpio LX 8.6 Lakhs on Road
5. Volkswagen Vento 9.16 Lakhs on On Road

Please help... Very confused

Last edited by acidkill : 14th August 2010 at 20:11.
Old 14th August 2010, 21:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Gentlement,

Now that vento prices are out, i need to come back to you for Round 2 of opinions.

My needs:
1. decent social value

Of all the cars you mentioned, Dzire and Manza don't fit in.

2. highway and poor roads driveability

While all the cars are decent highway performers, poor roads is different story altogether. With 1 psi more, my Dzire becomes a bouncing ball. Scorpio too is a bit bouncy. Don't know about Linea and Manza.

3. Must be comfotable to sit in for 2-3 hrs at a stretch
4. Non niggles and great service experience

Nothing comes close to Maruti. TASS (Fiat) is improving. VW is still an uncharted teritory.

5. Decent total cost of ownership
Manza and the Dzire cost the least to own

6. Mid Size Diesel car with best VFM (boot needed for utility as i am in the construction biz)

Depends upon perspective.

Options
1. Suzuki Dzire VDI 7 Lakhs On road
2. Tata Manza Aura ABS 7.35 Lakhs On Road
3. Fiat Linea Dynamic 8.5 Lakhs on Road
4. Mahindra Scorpio LX 8.6 Lakhs on Road
5. Volkswagen Vento 9.16 Lakhs on On Road

Please help... Very confused
I assume you are still in the 7.5L (on road ?) budget. With this figure, it's just the Dzire and Manza in contention. Happy hunting.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:29   #36
BHPian

If you can manage toup your budget by 1 Lakh, Linea is the car for you. Its comfortable to drive, has got a good FE, soaks up all the shocks from the bad roads and looks awesome.
Only thing to be aware is, in the Dynamic version, you dont get ABS or Air bags.
Old 24th August 2010, 13:38   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Acidkill,

I too was in the fray for the vento. However, the waiting period was too long and i don't trust VW for good service. And they will be expensive too. Personally as a rule i don't buy the first gen of any car.

During my search for a car, i did come across very good lauras (previous gen) done 30k kms approx (l&k version) which will fit your budget nicely. Factor in Rs.50k initially for suspension overhaul and then go to a private garage for routine maintenance.
Even the used Superb diesel is available within the same range.

These two cars will give a better snob value. And knowing Mrs. Acidkill, she will kill you if you get the manza or dezire.

Another used car option if you are game for a SUV would be the Pajero (albeit with higher kms (~50K) on the odo. But the vehicle is bullet proof according to friends who are using it with 1.5lakh kms + on the odo)

If i were in your place with your budget and requirements, i'd go for the new Safari. Better snob value than the Scorpio, diesel, very very very comfortable, best for long drives, and can bully your way through traffic. Best for road trips and very spacious.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 24th August 2010 at 13:41. Reason: typo
Old 26th May 2011, 16:39   #38

Which diesel car should I buy?

Hi guys,

I have been reading about diesel cars in Indian market and the more I read the more confused I get. I was indecisive for sometime about what exactly my priority was. I believe the thread would help me decide.

I have a budget of 7L and won't mind stretching it by another 50k. I am looking majorly at FE, space and definitely looks (so Logan and Dezire were ruled out). My travel is going to increase drastically now and most of it would be within the city.

First the cars which are out of my list:
Figo is VFM and I loved it when it was launched mainly because it looked like Fusion. But now that people are reporting the poor quality and quality lapses, I don’t want to buy it at all. So this car is also ruled out completely.
I never hated Swift but it is overdone and it is cramped in the rear and has nonexistent boot. I feel it has more power than it can handle, so cannot be a safe bet at high speed. I mean it won’t be as sturdy as Punto.
No Indica Vista. I already have a petrol one and I feel the overall looks of the car to be so bland that I don’t feel invited to drive it. Rest is good with the car so far.

Punto was the car of choice and I took TD also. I like everything about the car except the interiors, turning radius (considering that I live in Bangalore) and FE (I believe it has least mileage in the diesel cars).
Then I shifted my focus to Polo and Vento. Vento was out of budget even for the lowest variant, while Polo is only 1.2 engine, which means less power compared to its rivals? Plus it is not as airy as I would like my car to be, but this is still very much in the radar. Thin network of dealers was another concern for me.
Recent Fiesta Classic also added to my confusion. I am not sure if it fits in my budget or not but even if it does, I am afraid that this might not be the safest bet if I want to resell the car (I do that pretty often, buy a car thinking that I’ll keep it for long and then sell it before 4 yrs). I feel Fiesta Classic might also meet the same fate as Ikon and then it would be difficult to fetch good money for it.
I was reluctant about I20 initially because it is about a lac more than Punto, that too with lesser features. But now that I want to rerun through all the options, I would like to consider I20 also as a contender. But I have a couple of doubts about the car. I am unaware of the FE and whether the engine is reliable. Haven’t seen many threads on I20 diesel for some strange reason.

Now the last question. Although I know I have the answer but just want to be sure. Fusion is one car I always admired. I feel it was launched when the Indian market was still immature for it and we all know what happened next. I believe if they launch Fusion with some cosmetic changes and new line of engines (as far I understand Fusion didn’t have the same engine that they have in Figo or Fiesta), it could be a killer. My question is, are there any chances of Ford re launching the car? If so, I don’t mind waiting another 6 months.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th May 2011 at 19:36. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 09:57   #39
BHPian

Re: What diesel car ? 7.5 Lakh Budget

Hi getMahendra,

After using the Figo for 1 year and a month and 24000+ kms i haven't really come across any glaring quality lapse/issues in my car. The only issue that i have had is GC but it is better than say a honda jazz in terms of GC. I also had a puncture which went undetected for a few day and the car started giving lesser FE over that period of time but now back to normal.The car has otherwise served me well.
Old 27th May 2011, 11:22   #40

Vishnurp,
I am not sure why I am not convinced about Figo. It's more than the issues (if there's any at all). For that matter quite a few issues have popped up in my Vista recently and after experiencing a Tata car I have learned to live with problems in the car.
Old 27th May 2011, 13:20   #41
BHPian

Do have a look at the newly launched Scorpio EX variant at 7.2 lakhs ex showroom. Not sure of the specifications, but may be worth a test drive.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:45   #42

I did consider that but FE would be a decisive factor for me. That is one of the reason I am little reluctant to buy Punto also. Scorpio EX wouldnt do more than 11-12.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:58   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmahendra View Post
Scorpio EX wouldnt do more than 11-12.
The new 2.2 Mhawk BS IV variants are marginally more fuel efficient than the BS III ones, with a balanced foot, expect 11 - 12 in city, and 13-14 over highways. Constant runs at 2K RPM on the expressway may just push that figure to 15, but that isn't practical as such.

Last edited by manson : 27th May 2011 at 16:59.
Old 27th May 2011, 17:08   #44
BHPian

hi getmahendra, owing to your fuel efficiency requirement and a limited budget i suggest you to try indigo e-cs model which gives around 23 kmpl..look at this:[COLOR=#0066cc]http://www.cars.tatamotors.com/indigocs/index.htm[/COLOR]
Old 27th May 2011, 17:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

@ getmahendra.

Fiesta is safe bet. Even if Fiesta's rates drop, Bangalore's high prices will ensure you don't lose out much.

On a serious note, if you are looking at i20 and don't mind a used example, ping me. My friend is selling his.

i20 Asta (O), maroon color, diesel variant.

1 odd year, around 40k km done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks