Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 12:48   #1
BHPian

Superb 2.0 CRDi Vs Superb 1.8 TSI

I was almost ready to book the Skoda Suberb 1.8 TSI A/T in March this year but stopped in my tracks when I heard that the Superb will get the 2.0 CRDi engine in April. I wonder if members could give their opinion of the pros and cons of the two cars.

1. My usage is less than 15000 p.a.
2. I drive myself;
3. Difference in price (About Rs 2 lakhs more for the diesel) of the two cars is not an issue.
3. My concern is about the availability of 93 octane petrol (minimum recommended by Skoda) in two and three tier cities.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 7th April 2010 at 12:51.
Old 7th April 2010, 13:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If you dont mind the additional fuel costs i suggest you to go in for the TSi engined Superb. The TSi engine offers diesel like torque at lower revs that keeps up all the way till redline.
Old 10th April 2010, 10:10   #3
BHPian

Why don't you look at the Passat 1.8 TSI? Unless you are dying for the DSG, its a much better car IMO.
In either case, you are better off with the Petrol. The engine is far more refined and fun to drive.
Old 11th April 2010, 12:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Why don't you look at the Passat 1.8 TSI? Unless you are dying for the DSG, its a much better car IMO.
In either case, you are better off with the Petrol. The engine is far more refined and fun to drive.
Why do you think the Passat 1.8 TSI M/T is a better car than the Superb 1.8 TSI M/T? I agree that the VW is a better badge to carry than that of the Skoda but other than that why is the Passat a better option?
Old 11th April 2010, 16:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^I would like to know as well.

On my last visit to VW dealership i sat in a Passat for some time, believe me this car does not feel as special as Superb. The Superb feels like it belongs to segments above.
Old 12th April 2010, 12:49   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Superb feels like it belongs to segments above.
I totally agree to this statement. Car versus car, the Superb feels like a much more substantial automobile. It's got a superior equipment list and substantially greater rear bench space too. For a while (before VW cut prices), the 20 lakh Superb made the near 30 lakh Passat look pointless!
Old 12th April 2010, 13:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
Why do you think the Passat 1.8 TSI M/T is a better car than the Superb 1.8 TSI M/T? I agree that the VW is a better badge to carry than that of the Skoda but other than that why is the Passat a better option?
Quote:
^^^I would like to know as well.

On my last visit to VW dealership i sat in a Passat for some time, believe me this car does not feel as special as Superb. The Superb feels like it belongs to segments above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I totally agree to this statement. Car versus car, the Superb feels like a much more substantial automobile. It's got a superior equipment list and substantially greater rear bench space too. For a while (before VW cut prices), the 20 lakh Superb made the near 30 lakh Passat look pointless!
Yes, the Superb has limousine-esque space in the rear and its a little bit more plush in the rear, has more features. BUT, sit down and examine each car for a while, what you come to realize is that the Passat just seems to be better built (which is quite a statement, considering the Superb has phenomenal build quality); take the Passat and Superb out for a spin and very quickly you start feeling that the Passat drives better, handles better and even the ride quality is better. Now all this is the feeling that I get, but you should seriously consider both cars and pick whichever one suits you best.
Old 12th April 2010, 13:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I was in a similar dilemma, not once but twice and both times I landed up with the 1.8TSi

The reasons are:
-The cost differential doesn't justify buying the diesel
-The TSi gives me 8km/lt in Mumbai traffic
-The TSi engine is super smooth and quick- runs perfectly on 91octane, hence do not worry about the fuel
-The TSi comes with the new-gen 7 speed DSG
Old 12th April 2010, 14:12   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Take the Passat and Superb out for a spin and very quickly you start feeling that the Passat drives better, handles better and even the ride quality is better. Now all this is the feeling that I get, but you should seriously consider both cars and pick whichever one suits you best.
Just like most Euro cars both cars have a stiff ride which gets better with speed. Passat has slightly better ride but loses out on Steering and Handling to the Superb. The doors in Passat might close with a heavier thump but overall the car lacks the premium feel compared to the cheaper Superb.

If soft ride is a priority i would suggest Honda Accord. The Accord might not be a good Value for money compared to the loaded Superb but comes with proven Honda reliability that offers peace of mind the Skoda or VW will struggle to match.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Just like most Euro cars both cars have a stiff ride which gets better with speed. Passat has slightly better ride but loses out on Steering and Handling to the Superb. The doors in Passat might close with a heavier thump but overall the car lacks the premium feel compared to the cheaper Superb.

If soft ride is a priority i would suggest Honda Accord. The Accord might not be a good Value for money compared to the loaded Superb but comes with proven Honda reliability that offers peace of mind the Skoda or VW will struggle to match.
I think the Passat handles much much better than the Superb, I can't seem to remember much of a difference in steering response.
About the build quality, its not only that the grade of steel used on doors feels better, everything about the car just feels better built !
Yes like all Euro cars, the ride is stiff, but, I enjoy the stiff ride quality immensely. In-fact, after buying my Laura TSI, I find it very difficult to consider another Japanese car, no matter how reliable or sensible they may be! Some time this year or next year I probably will replace my Innova, and I have no idea what to replace it with. If ze Germans had a people mover, I wouldn't hesitate, but, they don't :-(
Old 14th April 2010, 19:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I think the Passat handles much much better than the Superb, I can't seem to remember much of a difference in steering response.
About the build quality, its not only that the grade of steel used on doors feels better, everything about the car just feels better built !
Yes like all Euro cars, the ride is stiff, but, I enjoy the stiff ride quality immensely. In-fact, after buying my Laura TSI, I find it very difficult to consider another Japanese car, no matter how reliable or sensible they may be! Some time this year or next year I probably will replace my Innova, and I have no idea what to replace it with. If ze Germans had a people mover, I wouldn't hesitate, but, they don't :-(
Yeah..Once a German always a German...The 1.8 Tsi is a fantastic engine and between Passat and superb i`s suggest the Passat if you want to drive yourself. A black Passat with matching interiors feels a class apart!!
Old 14th April 2010, 19:46   #12
BANNED

Take the 1.8TSi, My cousin has it & its very good. I think now 1.8 TSi comes with a manual transmission also (?) & if it does then it will be even more cheaper & more fun than an automatic.
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:28   #13
evo
BHPian

The Superb. I feel strange recommending a Skoda over another brand, but the Superb is far better compared to the Passat eventhough you`ll not make use of its amazing backseat.

However, be aware of Skoda service and reliability. Be very aware !
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:45   #14
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

1.8 TSI Superb should meet your needs better.
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:36   #15
BHPian

The superb is far superior to the Passat. I dont like the interiors of the passat.. they dont look elegant to me... eg the silver lining in the dash..

Most Viewed