Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:54   #16
BHPian

Hello Sunny,

Like most of the members have suggested my first recommendation would be new I10 AT.
Second would be a NHC CVT. Would be easier to find.
If you find a AT Corolla nothing like it. (preferrable over the Sonata and Accords)
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

very good place to ask your question.

For this price, as fellow BHPians mentioned, you can try those cars, however looking at your feel, the best option would be corolla AT.

1. Reliability - You dont want to be stranded on some road somewhere for non-reliable second hand car.
2. Good Engine -- You will feel good driving it, will be easy to drive, good pickup, effective AC in summers.
3. Easy ingress and egress

Also, for hand controls, not sure what all controls you want on your car.

There are many such options available locally, I am sure in your city too someone can do it.

Primarily, fitting one lever, which when pulled presses accelerator pedal, and when the lever pushed the brake pedal is pressed, should cost less than 10K and can be done in your city. I know of some people who do it in Delhi.

And ya, Ferdi is always there in Mumbai to do the fitting. However, you may need to send the vehicle to him for the fitting.

Do PM me, I know someone who have got it done through Ferdi and also some people who have got it done through other sources.
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:39   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Dear Sandip

Can I suggest that you should consider the Skoda Octavia Automatic as well?
I love the skoda the inside gives me a similar feel to my 5 Series. I have however never seen any in good shape for sub 4 Lakh INR and never seen an AT period in Punjab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Sandipsn, please dont take it otherwise, but I suggest you get a new i10 AT - the reasons being:

1. Very easy to drive. The overeager steering might actually help you. (knowing that you have some physical limits)
2. small car, manouverable in Indian roads. (as it is you would find driving in India very annoying and requiring much concentration, and also the distance people keep from each other may come down to a few inches!)
3. It might be difficult for you to manage if you have a breakdown in the middle of the road. New car = lesser chance of breakdown.
4. You would rarely find the road in India to unleash V6 power.
5. May be difficult to maintain a old car if it sits for quite a while when you spend time in Canada.

I have driven cars starting from chevy aveo to dodge chargers in US, but I think engine power is just useless on Indian roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Hello Sunny,

Like most of the members have suggested my first recommendation would be new I10 AT.
Second would be a NHC CVT. Would be easier to find.
If you find a AT Corolla nothing like it. (preferrable over the Sonata and Accords)
I actually went to the dealership today and had a look and feel of the i10 and I am afraid its not going to be an option. It's way to small and also dont look very safe. I have never been in an accident after just over 300.000 km on the roads driving over 14 years which Includes Autobahn going 210 Km/h, 2000 Meters above sea level in the winter of Norway, rush hour traffic of Toronto and NYC and should I God forbid ever be involved in one I dont want it to be in a "tin can". I am not dissing fans of the i10 it is just my personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
very good place to ask your question.

For this price, as fellow BHPians mentioned, you can try those cars, however looking at your feel, the best option would be corolla AT.

1. Reliability - You dont want to be stranded on some road somewhere for non-reliable second hand car.
2. Good Engine -- You will feel good driving it, will be easy to drive, good pickup, effective AC in summers.
3. Easy ingress and egress

Also, for hand controls, not sure what all controls you want on your car.

There are many such options available locally, I am sure in your city too someone can do it.

Primarily, fitting one lever, which when pulled presses accelerator pedal, and when the lever pushed the brake pedal is pressed, should cost less than 10K and can be done in your city. I know of some people who do it in Delhi.

And ya, Ferdi is always there in Mumbai to do the fitting. However, you may need to send the vehicle to him for the fitting.

Do PM me, I know someone who have got it done through Ferdi and also some people who have got it done through other sources.
Yeah that is the type of handcontrol I am looking for in addition also push switches on the same handle for horn and low/highbeam.

After owning the OHC type 1, I consider Honda to be very reliable as well as the Corolla (we have an older 1998 model in Toronto.)

I think my scenario is narrowed down the following situation:

Need to commision an agent or dealer in Delhi or CHG that fellow BHP'ians vouch for, to look for one of the following cars in order of preference:

2004-05 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.8 Invex
OHC type II 1.5 EXi AT
Corolla AT newest and highest model available within 3-4 Lakh INR

Unless someone should happen to stumble upon a well kept W124 AT then that would rise to the top of the list. I dont mind spending some extra money on getting a mechanically good car back into shape.

Second step would be to find a modifier to setup the handcontrols like you mentioned Amit. The futhest I can go to get this done would be Delhi, I would prefer if anyone can help me find someone that can do it in CHG or anywhere in Punjab.

What do you guys think?
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:47   #19
BHPian

Man, I feel bad. You missed it by a whisker. I was keen to locate a caring guy to my Lancer Invecs Mar 2006, 36000 KMs, goodies over 3 lacs (vkool, 5 original 15 inch alloys, Harmon Kardon ipod nav system, brand new michelin XM1 tires etc). I had exchanged the car for new Outlander through Excel and he just confirmed that car is sold :(
Old 24th April 2010, 12:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Man, I feel bad. You missed it by a whisker. I was keen to locate a caring guy to my Lancer Invecs Mar 2006, 36000 KMs, goodies over 3 lacs (vkool, 5 original 15 inch alloys, Harmon Kardon ipod nav system, brand new michelin XM1 tires etc). I had exchanged the car for new Outlander through Excel and he just confirmed that car is sold :(
Man that sucks sounds like I missed out on a well kept car. You know how much it went for? PM if you care to share please.
Old 27th April 2010, 10:59   #21
BHPian

Did you check out the sale section of team bhp? Just saw this ad for a Honda Acord, seems to be fitting your requriement to a 'T'

Team-BHP Classifieds - 2003 ACCORD NEW DELHI - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

There are lots more auto for sale, just that you may havbe to go pick it from Delhi or whatever
Old 27th April 2010, 11:02   #22
BHPian

Car sale in Team BHP

Just saw another Honda City auto for sale but it doesn't have the power seats as you wanted

Team-BHP Classifieds - 2006 honda city zx automatic for sale in pune - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

I feel that since the owners or the person putting it up for sale is from Team BHP, you could trust/count on them more.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 27th April 2010 at 11:07.
Old 26th September 2013, 10:47   #23
BHPian

Re: Used Automatic car for less than 4 lakhs rupees

I have been wanting to start a separate thread on best used AT's below 5 lakhs in today's (2013Q4 - almost) market. But as a diligent team-bhp guidelines follower, I stumbled on this 3.5 yr old thread which I thought will give a perfect base to put forth my queries and possibly have a discussion around the same.

I have had 3 cars till date (Swift Lxi, Spark LT, Ritz VDi), one at a time. Till date, I have been blessed with flex timings and hence inspite of traveling 55km+ daily - I could adjust my timings to avoid peak hour traffic (which I hate like hell). I also have a peculiar road rash condition, that peaks during traffic hour when people zig zag and break all kind of rules.

So with this in mind, and a new change in my work schedule which will now make travel 75km+ daily in peak hour traffic - has got me thinking of either getting a second car which is an AT or replace my current Ritz vdi with an AT (based on budget outliers).

The budget I can stretch upto if I replace my Ritz is around 5L, and without replacing is around 2.5L. The used car options I see in this bracket (within a 10 year old period) are the Toyota Corrolla, Honda City, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Hyundai i20, Honda CRV, Octavia, A-star (very rare) and the occasional Laura's or Verna Diesel AT's.

Now my questions are, if I have to look for economy (fuel plus maintenance) and long term durability (transmission failing) as the only choosing criteria -

1. Which one of these should I go for ?
2. Based on my own analysis, it is either a Civic (petrol) or Verna (diesel) - is that correct ?
3. If I can stretch my budget by one more lakh, I can get a vitara or new a-star as well - is that better then the options above given my two criteria ?
4. Should I retain my Ritz and get a second city cvt for around 2.25 lakhs, is the 8-10 year old CVT transmission good enough to last another 5 ?

Thanks in advance.

MOD's - feel free to merge this question in another thread if you feel this is not the right place.

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 26th September 2013 at 10:49.
Old 26th September 2013, 16:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
I have been wanting to start a separate thread on best used AT's below 5 lakhs in today's (2013Q4 - almost) market. But as a diligent team-bhp guidelines follower, I stumbled on this 3.5 yr old thread which I thought will give a perfect base to put forth my queries and possibly have a discussion around the same.
Thanks in advance.

MOD's - feel free to merge this question in another thread if you feel this is not the right place.
Hi, given the budget and the models to choose from i can suggest the following options. I own an AT hatch and sedan and they are a pleasure to drive in mumbai city and on highways.

Used Honda City AT
Used Hyundai i10 AT
Used Hyundai i20 AT

Buying a used car more than 5 years old may save the cost upfront but can have issued with reliability, expenses on repairs / spares. Do multiple checks before you finalise on any used car.

Please also see the cost of switching from your Ritz Manual to New Ritz AT.

Honda Civic AT is going very cheap in used car market because of very low city mileage of these cars and a possible launch of next generation Civic. Civic is a good option if you can bear the fuel costs of low mileage car.
Old 26th September 2013, 17:13   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Based on my own analysis, it is either a Civic (petrol) or Verna (diesel) - is that correct ?
3. If I can stretch my budget by one more lakh, I can get a vitara or new a-star as well - is that better then the options above given my two criteria ?
4. Should I retain my Ritz and get a second city cvt for around 2.25 lakhs, is the 8-10 year old CVT transmission good enough to last another 5 ?

Thanks in advance.

If you are going to use the car primarily to drive to work and in rush hour traffic you don't need big cars like the Civic and Corolla.

I don't know if you'll get used Civic ATs for 5 lakhs, but the running costs will burn a hole in your pocket.

Small AT hatches in the used car segment will consist mostly of i10s, Santros and A-Stars. All these are old school 3 speed or 4 speed ATs and hence not very efficient. The newer 1.2 VTVT Kappa2 powered i10 is a bit more efficient than the old one.

I'd suggest stretching your budget a bit and go for a New Brio AT. The 5 spd AT + Vtec engine will be a lot easier on the pocket in the long run. It'll retain its resale value better as its a newer model and you'll get the extra money that you're spending now when you sell it.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 12:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I don't know if you'll get used Civic ATs for 5 lakhs, but the running costs will burn a hole in your pocket.

I'd suggest stretching your budget a bit and go for a New Brio AT. The 5 spd AT + Vtec engine will be a lot easier on the pocket in the long run. It'll retain its resale value better as its a newer model and you'll get the extra money that you're spending now when you sell it.
+1 to this.

You might well get a Civic for that much, but it'll have run several thousands of kilometers and be several years old. Mind you, it'll be utterly reliable and fantastic, but remember this; it's still a 15 lakh or so car, and it's parts/servicing will cost accordingly. It's not very fuel efficient either.

My advice: go for a Brio AT like Santosh says or look for a used latest Gen Honda City. Don't consider either of the Hyundai's as they are less fuel efficent than either of the Honda's I mentioned and will not be cheaper to own either (in terms of maintenance), so there's no reason to go for them.

Nissan's Micra seems good, but there are so many on the forum cribbing about the ASS, so I'd knock that one off the list too. Go for either of the Honda's, you won't regret it.
Old 28th October 2013, 16:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Since your daily drive in peak hour traffic is going to be 75km+, suggest:

Option 1
Go in for Diesel AT. In peak city traffic almost all petrol ATs give around single digit mileage (except maybe the Honda's). In Diesel ATs -you have 2 options -the torque converters or DSG. DSG though fun-to-drive, may need to factor in frequent clutch wear and replacement considering your peak-hour drives. In used market I guess, the torque converter in Diesel ATs within 5L -are Octavia Mk1 and Verna.

Option 2
Retain Ritz and go for Gen 2 Honda City CVT -which has good mileage and reliability.
Old 13th October 2014, 19:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hello all looking to buy a used automatic car with the following points in mind:

Budget: less than 4 lakhs (lesser the better)
Will keep the car for 2-3years
Reliability is of paramount importance since this will be the first used car I will be buying.
Safety: ABS & 2 Airbags minimum
Will be driving about 1000km a month on an average only within the city. For outstation trips have a Duster which I will retire to do the family duties once i purchase the automatic car.

Main reason why I am looking to buy an automatic is because of city traffic and I do not want to get a driver.

Looking to buy the car in December.

Have shortlisted the following options in order of preference:
1. Corolla
2. 2nd gen Accord
3. 1st gen CRV

Not too keen on Honda City or Verna for lack of safety features.
Honda Civic is too expensive in the used car market and most used cars will definitely need work on the rear suspension at least.

I have seen a very decent single owner corolla 2005 done 80k kms single owner asking for 2.1lakhs. I am sure I can bring him down by another 20-30k. Car is mechanically sound and not too much body damage for a 10 year old car.

Is buying a used petrol automatic car that is almost 10 years old make sense ?
If i do get the above car I could probably run the car for 2 years in my initial budget of 4 lakhs

Also will really appreciate if someone could point out the pros and cons of corolla automatic.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 13th October 2014 at 19:24.
Old 13th October 2014, 20:41   #29
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post

Looking to buy the car in December.

Have shortlisted the following options in order of preference:
1. Corolla
2. 2nd gen Accord
3. 1st gen CRVh

Is buying a used petrol automatic car that is almost 10 years old make sense ?
If i do get the above car I could probably run the car for 2 years in my initial budget of 4 lakhs
Why not a hatch? Since it is city driving only, consider a used i10, i20, A-star etc especially since you don't need a long hatch. Remember, the Backseat of the A-star is strictly not for three adults.

I know some people who own '06 and '07 Corolla ATs which are still going strong. I think it's better to spend a little and get everything checked before buying and to budget for maintenance.

Gives around 8.5~9 kmpl in city.
Old 14th October 2014, 10:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Why not a hatch? Since it is city driving only, consider a used i10, i20, A-star etc especially since you don't need a long hatch. Remember, the Backseat of the A-star is strictly not for three adults.
I somehow feel very claustrophobic in a hatch. I feel a corolla in the used car market is more VFM than an i10 or i20.
Also I am a little averse to Hyundai. (no offence to any Hyundai aficionados) They are not exactly cheap to maintain and might not be as reliable as a Toyota.

I am Ok with 7-8kmpl mileage also.

Like I said I am most concerned with reliability. Wouldn't want to spend a bomb on maintenance.

Yes will definitely get everything checked before taking the plunge.
Only thing that I have decided is to wait for 2 months before actually making the purchase and not to jump into something hastily.
As I already have a car which will not be sold to buy another one I am in no hurry and will finalize only once I find a stellar example.

In the mean time would like to know what kind of maintenance one should be prepared for when buying a close to 10 year old automatic corolla that has done 80k kms. (considering that most cars would be around the same age in my 4 lakh budget)

Edit: The car will be used only by me and I will be driving all the time. Would not have any passengers 90% of the time.
Need a big boot as well. My duster's boot is filled to the brim most of the time.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 14th October 2014 at 10:17.

Most Viewed