Team-BHP - Used Automatic car for less than 4 lakhs rupees
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Used Automatic car for less than 4 lakhs rupees (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/79709-used-automatic-car-less-than-4-lakhs-rupees-3.html)

Your needs warrant a sedan and nothing is better than a Corolla as a used car. Honda accord will be a good choice too, but I don't know whether spares will be a problem. (I don't know anyone who owns an accord.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 (Post 3555932)
I feel a corolla in the used car market is more VFM than an i10 or i20.

I differ with you here. i20 and i10 are newer products than the Corolla and if you find a used one in your budget, it would have run less for sure.

Quote:

Also I am a little averse to Hyundai. (no offence to any Hyundai aficionados) They are not exactly cheap to maintain and might not be as reliable as a Toyota.

Sorry, but Hyundai's are extremely reliable. And they aren't too expensive to maintain. If there's anything that come close to Japanese reliability, it's hyundais cars.

Reviving this old thread.

One of my friend is looking to buy a used automatic sedan in the budget of 5-6L.

He saw a few offer of 2010-11 Laura, Cruze and Corolla Altis.

I personally suggested him the Corolla. But he is inclined towards the other two.

What are the pros and cons of a 5 year old Cruze or Laura apart from the infamous A.S.S of Skoda?

Quote:

Originally Posted by archat68 (Post 3974781)
Reviving this old thread.

One of my friend is looking to buy a used automatic sedan in the budget of 5-6L.

He saw a few offer of 2010-11 Laura, Cruze and Corolla Altis.

I personally suggested him the Corolla. But he is inclined towards the other two.

What are the pros and cons of a 5 year old Cruze or Laura apart from the infamous A.S.S of Skoda?

Cruze and Laura will both have transmission failure scares running at the back of your mind. Corolla is reliable but not a fun to drive Automatic. I would suggest a 4-5 year old Civic or a City with some money kept aside for overhauling known issues on a 5 year old car like new suspension and engine mounts and leaking steering racks.

Your best bet would be something from Honda stable. Civic from 2009-10 will definitely be in your budget, and for newer you can look at City from this decade. The other cars in the contention are either un-exciting or don't have long term trouble free ownership.

Quote:

Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz (Post 3979551)
Cruze and Laura will both have transmission failure scares running at the back of your mind. Corolla is reliable but not a fun to drive Automatic. I would suggest a 4-5 year old Civic or a City with some money kept aside for overhauling known issues on a 5 year old car like new suspension and engine mounts and leaking steering racks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by autorahul (Post 3979560)
Your best bet would be something from Honda stable. Civic from 2009-10 will definitely be in your budget, and for newer you can look at City from this decade. The other cars in the contention are either un-exciting or don't have long term trouble free ownership.

Not getting much Honda City. There are plenty of Civics and Corolla and well within the budget. Both are reliable I think. But the Civic has lower GC. I recommended Corolla as it gives a bit better FE.

I'm also looking for a used AT. It's for my wife who will use it exclusively within the city. Following are the criteria:

1. Easy to drive and park. She's not comfortable with the current ride, which is a corolla MT 2009 model.
2. Good/comfortable ride quality. Handling should be decent where it doesn't alarm her given the potholes or lack of roads around whitefield and Outer ring road in Bangalore.
3. Rear seat space isn't a concern, but decent build quality and safety would help given the traffic and rash driving from trucks, cabs.
4. Budget of 3-4L. Given my budget and financial constraints, would like a reliable and cheap in maintenance(and spares) vehicle.
5. Mileage should be 10kmpl within the city

I was looking at the following:

1. i10 AT from 2010-14 period
2. SX4 AT
3. Civic AT? Low GC will hurt? Will spares, maintenance be costly?

Are there any other obvious choices I'm missing?

Mods: Please move it to a new thread if it shouldn't belong here

Quote:

Originally Posted by skarthikeyan (Post 4477436)
I'm also looking for a used AT. It's for my wife who will use it exclusively within the city.

Also be on a lookout for RITZ / SWIFT DZIRE /SX4 AT.
They are proper automatics ( CVT ) but very rare and hence difficult to find.

How about old JAZZ AT?

Quote:

Are there any other obvious choices I'm missing?

A-Star AT is a nice option.

Its got a proper torque converter which gives the much needed oomph at the lower end for the K10B in the city. The initial response is quite good. Will work well in Bangalore traffic to close the gaps and all. And the car came with ABS by default and got great braking too. Its pretty well built with very good space in the front. The rear and boot however is practically non-existent and the interior plastic is sad, won't rattle though.

We got a 2011 model at home which my wife uses and we recently added 4 Michelin XM2 and the ride is great as well. And did I say its good fun to drive? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverado (Post 4477479)
Also be on a lookout for RITZ / SWIFT DZIRE /SX4 AT.
They are proper automatics ( CVT ) but very rare and hence difficult to find.

Those are all equipped with a 4 speed torque converter unit, not CVT.

Quote:

1. Easy to drive and park.
2. Good/comfortable ride quality. Handling should be decent where it doesn't alarm her given the potholes or lack of roads around whitefield and Outer ring road in Bangalore.
3. Rear seat space isn't a concern,
4. Budget of 3-4L. Given my budget and financial constraints, would like a reliable and cheap in maintenance(and spares) vehicle.
5. Mileage should be 10kmpl within the city

Like @deetjohn mentioned, the A-Star AT.

We have one, and wife who is a first time driver ( first car, no two-wheeler experience) is now using it regularly. This was an export model. Meets all the above criteria - though you'd need to upsize from the stock 155's to 175.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 4477488)
A-Star AT is a nice option.

Its got a proper torque converter...

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4477525)
Like @deetjohn mentioned, the A-Star AT.

We have one, and wife who is a first time driver ...

Thanks @deetjohn and @condor. I've had a change of plan and want to get a used SUV AT. Instead of having 2 cars, I'm planning to get one car which can handle city as well as highways and driven by my wife comfortably as well. Have posted my needs at https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post4750234

Quote:

Originally Posted by skarthikeyan (Post 4750298)
I've had a change of plan and want to get a used SUV AT. Instead of having 2 cars, I'm planning to get one car which can handle city as well as highways and driven by my wife comfortably as well.

Go ahead, Karthikeyan. You know your requirements. And a thanks for sharing your thoughts to that short discussion we had here on this thread.

Each option has it's advantages, and some compromises too. Example: My Storme is just right for most things except parking in the city :) .. So I sometimes take my wife's A-Star AT when I know I am going into the crowded areas.

All the best for your new purchase. Do keep us posted.

Buy a good 2nd gen honda crv. They are fairly reliable and parts can be easily sourced. Being a honda the spare parts would be cheaper than the german counterparts. The only downside of the crv is the fuel economy of around 6-7 kmpl. Would have been amazing if honda had diesel engines back then.

Hello Team-BHP Family,

I'm so happy to be finally creating an account and officially joining the forum. The days are fover - no need to be only reading the forums and not posting and commenting. I've been following the forum for a long time now. During weekends and on my way back home I read the travel blogs - helps me a lot to not miss the riding and driving these days.

Let me introduce myself first. I hail from Kerala, moved to Bangalore in 2007 for my education and started my career in Bangalore. I call Bangalore as my home now.

3.5 years ago, I moved to Singapore for work. I love Singapore - A beautiful city, good infrastructure and safe. Owning a vehicle is ridiculously expensive in this city :(

Even though I was liking it, deep inside I always wanted to go back to India. I knew what i was missing - my friends, family, eat home cooked food, weekend drives, crazy trips with friends to see sunset in Rameshwaram, to eat biriyani in Ambur etc. With the current global situation, now I'm slowly starting to think of coming back to home in the end of year or in early 2021:)

So with this decision comes a plan of buying a car for the family. We're a a family of 3 now - myself, wife, my mother.

I have owned a Maruti Suzuki Eeco, Hyundai Sonata 2003 and a Ford Fiesta 2006 and a Royal Enfield Himalayan in the past. My only possession now is a Royal Enfield Machismo 350 2006 Model.

Now on the weekends my job is to browse through different Facebook pages, olx, quickr, cars24 to understand the car market and to shortlist 2-3 cars.

I'll need all your advises on helping me to shortlist some cars. I'm really confused at this point. My requirements are

1. Be it petrol or diesel- an average mileage of atleast 10-12+ in the city. Higher the better.
2. My usage will be some casual drives in the weekend & occasional trips to Kerala (500 kms one way).
3. Comfort & safety for the family.
4. Comfortable cruising in the highways and good leg room in the rear seat.
5. First preference is a manual transmission. I dont mind automatic too.
6. ABS
7. Not too expensive for maintaining the car.

Some of the cars i like :
1. Toyota Altis - heard very good reviews
2. Civic - love the design but scared of servicing and fuel consumption.
3. Skoda Laura - I love everything about this car. Again scared of maintaining.
4. VW Vento - Love the comfort and pickup. Again scared.

I'm looking at budget of max upto 3-3.2 Lakhs. If you're in my shoes which are some of the cars you'll consider.

Thanks again for reading my long and boring post. Looking forward to making new friends here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi1278 (Post 4810205)
Hello Team-BHP Family,

I'm so happy to be finally creating an account and officially joining the forum. The days are fover - no need to be only reading the forums and not posting and commenting. I've been following the forum for a long time now. During weekends and on my way back home I read the travel blogs - helps me a lot to not miss the riding and driving these days.

Let me introduce myself first. I hail from Kerala, moved to Bangalore in 2007 for my education and started my career in Bangalore. I call Bangalore as my home now.

3.5 years ago, I moved to Singapore for work. I love Singapore - A beautiful city, good infrastructure and safe. Owning a vehicle is ridiculously expensive in this city :(

Even though I was liking it, deep inside I always wanted to go back to India. I knew what i was missing - my friends, family, eat home cooked food, weekend drives, crazy trips with friends to see sunset in Rameshwaram, to eat biriyani in Ambur etc. With the current global situation, now I'm slowly starting to think of coming back to home in the end of year or in early 2021:)

So with this decision comes a plan of buying a car for the family. We're a a family of 3 now - myself, wife, my mother.

I have owned a Maruti Suzuki Eeco, Hyundai Sonata 2003 and a Ford Fiesta 2006 and a Royal Enfield Himalayan in the past. My only possession now is a Royal Enfield Machismo 350 2006 Model.

Now on the weekends my job is to browse through different Facebook pages, olx, quickr, cars24 to understand the car market and to shortlist 2-3 cars.

I'll need all your advises on helping me to shortlist some cars. I'm really confused at this point. My requirements are

1. Be it petrol or diesel- an average mileage of atleast 10-12+ in the city. Higher the better.
2. My usage will be some casual drives in the weekend & occasional trips to Kerala (500 kms one way).
3. Comfort & safety for the family.
4. Comfortable cruising in the highways and good leg room in the rear seat.
5. First preference is a manual transmission. I dont mind automatic too.
6. ABS
7. Not too expensive for maintaining the car.

Some of the cars i like :
1. Toyota Altis - heard very good reviews
2. Civic - love the design but scared of servicing and fuel consumption.
3. Skoda Laura - I love everything about this car. Again scared of maintaining.
4. VW Vento - Love the comfort and pickup. Again scared.

I'm looking at budget of max upto 3-3.2 Lakhs. If you're in my shoes which are some of the cars you'll consider.

Thanks again for reading my long and boring post. Looking forward to making new friends here.

First off, I welcome you to this TBHP Family. I myself made an account very recently and can understand the feeling you might be having, of becoming a BHPian!

Going by your requirements, I feel Toyota Altis should be a great car for you. It definitely satisfies all your requirements from 2-7. I am not sure about the FE of petrol altis in Bangalore traffic though. If you are able to live with a slightly lower (8-9 Kmpl) FE, Altis will be a perfect car for you. It's the world's MR. Dependable. Even a 1 lakh KM run Altis can be considered a safe choice!

I would be strongly against a Laura or Vento, as these would be pretty old, and maintenance will be a huge issue for such an old European car.

Personally, haven't been impressed with the Honda's ASS. We have a 2013 amaze which has had numerous issues and the service bills have been astoundingly high. Since 2013, we have spent an average of 28K per year for its maintenance.:Frustrati

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the response. I'm also inclining towards Altis. Everyone speaks about the Toyota's reliability. The only Toyota I've driven is a Fortuner for less than 50kms. Mileage of 8-9 might be too low but if the kms in the city is less, it should be manageable. I'm still calculating how many kms will be the monthly average. I don't prefer to go to work in car unless its raining or i've to stay late at work.

What will be the average mileage I can expect for highways and the annual maintenance ? I've a friend who owns a service shop near Jayamal in Bangalore. He should be able to do the basic service at a pretty good rates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07CR (Post 4810641)
First off, I welcome you to this TBHP Family. I myself made an account very recently and can understand the feeling you might be having, of becoming a BHPian!

Going by your requirements, I feel Toyota Altis should be a great car for you. It definitely satisfies all your requirements from 2-7. I am not sure about the FE of petrol altis in Bangalore traffic though. If you are able to live with a slightly lower (8-9 Kmpl) FE, Altis will be a perfect car for you. It's the world's MR. Dependable. Even a 1 lakh KM run Altis can be considered a safe choice!

I would be strongly against a Laura or Vento, as these would be pretty old, and maintenance will be a huge issue for such an old European car.

Personally, haven't been impressed with the Honda's ASS. We have a 2013 amaze which has had numerous issues and the service bills have been astoundingly high. Since 2013, we have spent an average of 28K per year for its maintenance.:Frustrati

Hope this helps.