Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 13:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

ANHC or Fiesta1.6S or SX4

Hey guys,

I've been looking to purchase a new car for the past couple of days and my budget is around Rs.10 lacs.

My main requirements are :

* Great performance - Should be fun to drive!
* Should have all the safety features - ABS, Airbags, etc.
* Good looks.
* Mod friendly, as i don't intend to keep my car stock for a very long time.

I have shortlisted the SX4, ANHC and the Fiesta 1.6S. I plan to keep the car for around 3 to 4 years.

And also I've heard that the new Fiesta is coming soon, so does it make sense to go for the Fiesta right now?

Maintenance costs and mileage is not an issue for me as my monthly running will be only around 500 kilometres.

These are the cars under consideration and their initial impressions -

Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXi

*Good looks
*Powerful engine
*Maruti's A.S.S
*VFM
*Interiors are not very good
*Lacks snob value??
*Decent handling

Honda City S MT -
*Futuristic looks
*Good performance
*Decent build quality and great fit and finish.
*Interiors are best in class.
*Seems a little overpriced.
*Lacks features for a car costing around 9.4 lacs OTR.
*Good brand impression
*Good resale value.

Ford Fiesta 1.6S -
*Good performance
*Best in class handling
*VFM
*Neat and simple interior with good quality.
*Sporty looks.
* My only concern with this car is that after the launch of the new Fiesta it might look outdated and the resale will get affected.

Guys please give your advice and your views regarding the cars I have shortlisted. All of your inputs will be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Parth.
aparth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2010, 13:36   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post

* Good looks.
Having owned an ANHC for the past 4 months, I can definitely recommend one. It fits all your requirements. It feels a bit over-priced for the features one gets but having known more than ten happy ANHC owners, all I can say is that this feeling disappears as you start to drive the car.

Coming to the negative aspects, I am not sure how mod-friendly ANHC will be. The Honda A.S.S cribs a lot about the warranty becoming void in such cases.

Regarding Ford, if you purchase the current version, you will be getting heavy discounts. This is a proven vehicle with a powerful engine and wonderful handling capabilities. So, IMHO it should out-weigh the un-proven new ford which would definitely be on the expensive end and would not come with great monetary benefits to start with. But, yes, with the current Fiesta, the re-sale would be a concern when you wish to change your car.
Old 26th April 2010, 13:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would definitely recommend that you go in for a Honda.

I am not saying the other cars are not good or lacking in someway, but brand Honda is definitely something to reckon with.

SX4 is definitely good for its sheer size and decent features, which also has the Auto Climate Con which the City lacks. But then again, you just have another Maruti

Ford Fiesta, is one of the best driver oriented cars around, and especially the 1.6 S is a true delight to drive.

All three cars stand their own and you wont lose so much by taking either.

If you choose between Honda and Maruti, but cars have good service and lower cost of maintenance, esp Marutis A.Sales. Ford can tend to get a bit expensive

Choice between Ford and Honda, will give you a more fun to drive car, which has a little more bling factor. These are just my opinions by the way.

Best is to go in for the Honda, because the engine is built to last miles and by then you may go in for a new car (4 years range)

And when you have the bugjet, go in for a car where the brand stands out. Trust me you will never feel bad about it
Old 26th April 2010, 16:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

The only thing that would move me away from buying a Fiesta at this point of time is the fact that come next year and Ford will launch a new Fiesta for sure. Space wise too I believe its the smallest of the lot. Just went to check out the Honda City and believe me I am a fan now. The exterior looks are subjective but interior space and overall design is much better than the SX4 and the Fiesta though I did not like the plastic switches very much. The engine is a gem no doubt so if you have the bucks go for the City.
Old 26th April 2010, 17:02   #5
BHPian

A year and a half with the Fiesta S. New car next year or not, I would vouch for it. Consider this, Ford is still selling the Ikon, they are not going to give up on Fiesta any time soon. Its not like a Honda City where production stops when the newer version is in.

Its the same as in Marutis and Hyundais Fiesta's not going away not in the next 5 years, period.
Old 26th April 2010, 17:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Maintenance cost on ford cars are not that much as was in the past.
They have 4 year warranty programme thus maintenance cost matter will be taken care.
Regarding new model launch - every car will undergo some upgradation so no need to
worry only on fiesta.
Having said above, all the three cars are good and there will have some differences between them.
If you are going to drive the car, then I recommend Fiesta (driver's car-always!).
Old 26th April 2010, 17:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would say the SX4 simply because its better value, is better equipped. and they dont call you for service every 5k kms! So much for the Honda reliability.
Old 26th April 2010, 17:32   #8
BHPian

The joys of motoring are best described by cars like the Fiesta 1.6 S. They don't cost the earth, and yet have they never fail to tug at your heart's strings. Possibly the best 8 lakh rupee 'sporty' sedan available in India. If sharp steering response, razor sharp handling prowess and European demeanor is what you want, this is the car to drive.

The ANHC or SX4 can only play second fiddle when it comes to dynamics and overall driving pleasure. Yes, the new Fiesta is around the corner, and being a Ford, one can expect a good driver's car. But the 1.6 S is special enough to hold its own ground. Have you driven one yet? If you liked the ANHC, this car should definitely make you happier.

Here is my test drive thread on the 1.6S :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...y-special.html
Old 26th April 2010, 17:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

You may want to wait for the Polo sedan which is going to be launched soon (?).
Old 26th April 2010, 17:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
* Good looks.
I would pick the Honda City if had similar requirements.
Old 26th April 2010, 18:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Honda City is a fine car. Looks better than the SX4 and has a great engine as well. Its interiors boast a better build quality than the others here and has better snob value too.

However, its not a great handler, SX4 is more than a match to it and the Ford is a notch above the both. Also, its a tad short on equipment (no A.C.C./Cd player) and the NHC had better plastics than the ANHC.
If Fun To Drive wasn't had been one of your main requirements I would had adviced you to invest a bit more and buy an Altis. However, if you need a performance oriented vehicle the City makes more sense and if you are okay with almost Rs. 2 lakhs of premium it commands over the other sedans go for city.

The ford is a terrific handler and has a good engine. However, its not very spacious and the interiors (especially in comparison with ANHC and the optional leather kitted SX4) leaves a lot to be desired. Also, the car has started looking dated and due to large no. of diesel fiestas around it sure is a common sight and offers lesser street presance.
However, a 1.6 S in that blue shade along with that huge spoiler surely turns every indian auto enthusiast's head.

Poor resale and the fact that an all new Fiesta is expected in sometime further makes the package look less exciting.

Coming to the SX4, its not a looker, not even if you go for the optional body kit. However, its a good handler and IMO second only to the Fiesta.
Its got decent performance from the engine (enough to match the city) and the optional leather kit helps look the interior a tad more luxurious than the standard version.

Also, it does not have the snob value of the Honda. What it does have is loads of equipment and good ground clearence which is certainly a boon (considering that I scrap the underbelly of my baleno on every speedbreaker).
With the upgraded engine its more refined now and feels better across the rev range than the previous version.

Dad had the old SX4 as company car with him for a year and that thick A-pillar did a fair bit to create blindspots. However, you may get used to it soon.

Going by your requirements I would recommend the Sx4 considering the above points and the fact that its tremendous VFM as compared to the honda and you get the advantage of MASS.

The almost 2 lakhs of spare cash can be utilised for the mods you have planned.

PS-- Why not go for the Cedia Sports? Its a tuner's delight and the only thing against it that I can think of is the poor resale. Okay poor aftersales as well but buy one in yellow and you'll have tremendous street presence plus you get bits from MOMO and OZ rims.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 26th April 2010 at 18:14.
Old 26th April 2010, 18:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

* Good looks.

Ford Fiesta 1.6S -
*Good performance
*Best in class handling
*VFM
*Neat and simple interior with good quality.
*Sporty looks.
* My only concern with this car is that after the launch of the new Fiesta it might look outdated and the resale will get affected.
Voted the best driver's car in it's segment. Period.
Your concern on the resale is valid. Ford Petrols = Poor resale. BUT a 1.6S is a special car so you might be lucky with the resale.

Refer this thread for mods:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-petefied.html
Old 26th April 2010, 18:33   #13

hey i would advice you to go in for a linea instead...its better value for money
& is the most good looking of the lot....it handles well,has nice interors,equipments..
so why not??
Old 26th April 2010, 20:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all your valuable suggestions guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
A year and a half with the Fiesta S. New car next year or not, I would vouch for it. Consider this, Ford is still selling the Ikon, they are not going to give up on Fiesta any time soon. Its not like a Honda City where production stops when the newer
version is in.

Its the same as in Marutis and Hyundais Fiesta's not going away not in the next 5 years, period.
So Ford is going to launch the new Fiesta with another name and sell the current Fiesta side by side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
The joys of motoring are best described by cars like the Fiesta 1.6 S. They don't cost the earth, and yet have they never fail to tug at your heart's strings. Possibly the best 8 lakh rupee 'sporty' sedan available in India. If sharp steering response, razor sharp handling prowess and European demeanor is what you want, this is the car to drive.

The ANHC or SX4 can only play second fiddle when it comes to dynamics and overall driving pleasure. Yes, the new Fiesta is around the corner, and being a Ford, one can expect a good driver's car. But the 1.6 S is special enough to hold its own ground. Have you driven one yet? If you liked the ANHC, this car should definitely make you happier.

Here is my test drive thread on the 1.6S :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...y-special.html
Thanks for the link! I haven't driven the 1.6S but I have driven the 1.6 SXI. I'll be test driving the S in a day or two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
You may want to wait for the Polo sedan which is going to be launched soon (?).
When is it being launched? July?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Voted the best driver's car in it's segment. Period.
Your concern on the resale is valid. Ford Petrols = Poor resale. BUT a 1.6S is a special car so you might be lucky with the resale.

Refer this thread for mods:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-petefied.html
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior schumi View Post
hey i would advice you to go in for a linea instead...its better value for money
& is the most good looking of the lot....it handles well,has nice interors,equipments..
so why not??
Well Linea petrol doesn't match the performance of the Fiesta, SX4 and the ANHC and i don't require a diesel at the moment, that's why I didn't consider the Linea.
Old 26th April 2010, 20:49   #15
BHPian

just out of curiosity, any reasons why verna (petrol) in not considered ??? suits ur requirement

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks