Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 19:24   #1

New Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 LT

Is it really worth it. I mean me and my family went to look up for a family sedan at price 6-8 lac. Everybody including me loved the Aveo and i am just confused why is not worth buying this car. I mean I don't see any problem with the car. So please suggest pros and cons.
Old 27th April 2010, 15:29   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aha, the Aveo! Long time no see in this forum section. I see the thread has zero replies too

The Aveo is a decent sedan, albeit outclassed by the competition now. The game has moved on. Sure, the Aveo has a decent build, classy interiors, good ride quality....but thats it. On the flip side, the engines are lazy & the gearbox clunky. You will know that the Aveo sedan is amongst the worst selling from its segment, resulting in poor resale. Come to think of it, a used Aveo makes more sense than a new one. One of the reasons for the Aveo's poor market performance is the lack of a diesel option (all direct competitors offer one).

At the end of the day, you & your family have liked the car and that's all that counts. I would recommend, however, that you testdrive the Fiesta 1.6 (killer deals going on), the Dzire, Manza and Linea. All of them fit within the said price range.
Old 27th April 2010, 15:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Forget the Aveo mate ! I know you have liked the car BUT they hardly sell. Agreed it's a good car BUT then unfortunately if you count resale and spare parts then the Aveo is not a win win car to buy !

What you need in the 6 - 8 lac segment is the Fiesta 1.6 ! It's got a great engine and good colour options - the blue & metallic red looks great. The Whte Fiesta still is a head turner.

If you get the top end then it's fairly loaded.

The Dezire to me is not a good looking car somehow otherwise everything else is great about the car. Manza too does not have that image and the hyundais in this segment are just not too modern and outdated.

Have a look at the Fiesta once.
Old 27th April 2010, 15:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine had the 1.4 Aveo & I loved the car.

But poor sales figures & resulting poor Resale means that you should buy it only if you plan to keep it for a real long period like 7 years or so & even then you are willing to take the poor resale value hit (when compared to other cars in same segment).
Old 27th April 2010, 15:48   #5
BHPian

hey dude first and foremost forget about the aveo, i have been a chevy customer and i can tell you not only there spares are expensive but even the cars have a pathetic resale value.
want a petrol heart? go straight for the fiesta 1.6, some people say it is as close as it gets to a front wheel bmw
Old 27th April 2010, 15:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

I own a Aveo 1.4 and love it. Its safer, sturdy and solid.

But, I think you should go for it ONLY if you like it personally. As a car, its good. But if you consider the resale, sales figures etc, then think twice.

I am of a opinion that it may be discontinued anytime soon. Just my opinion. Because, monthly sales of 300+ for a car do not do any justice for a company to keep manufacturing this car.

Also, from recent marketing and ads, its clear that they are concentrating more on the Beat & Cruze rather than anything.

So, if you like the car and care a S*it about sales fig or resale values etc, then go ahead. You will not regret. Added advantage is the maintenance package.
Old 27th April 2010, 22:29   #7

Thanks all for the response....Trust me guys a month ago it was all finalised and the vote was for the i20 and I did started a post for it and after all the research and test drives, the cars which came down to the conclusion were the following:

1) Polo 1.2 petrol highline: The day this car was released I am fan...I did went for a test drive again I the car is composed, the body is rigid, great colors etc. The only thing at a price(6.46 on road) is that car is bit small for a family, i mean its not as roomier as the other cars.

But again just to let u know we are looking for a family car and its not just for my personal driving(Mum,Dad,Me and sis), whichever key comes first, the member of the family takes it away. We are also planning to keep the car for a while so please suggest accordingly .

2) Hyundai I20 Asta: Good looks great space great level of equipment, but again the car never felt as solid as the Polo. As per the quality plus keeping in mind that the car will stay in the family for a while, considering the long term ownership and also having one i10 already, it isn't a step above at price(6.27 on road).

3) Fiesta 1.6: Guys as I said Its not just for me, I simply love the car considering its performance and engine. Me my dad and my sister went to see the car, you will be surprised they both just walked out of the showroom straight away as they found the car ugly...hehe I know it may sounds silly but you can't explain how good the engine is or the handling as my sister was finding it boring. Plus I can't see my dad driving a 1.6s on the road with a spoiler and skirtings on the car everyday and at a price(7.90 on road) my dad said its better go for a honda city, So its a NO.

4) Chevy Aveo 1.4 LT: I tell you. We finally went to the showroom saw the car and my sister she loved it. She said the car is so cute and my dad found the space in the car adequate and he also loved the colors inside and out plus car has all the features of the honda city, its build is perfect etc etc.

So the VERDICT: It seems to a be a perfect family car and at a price 6.70 on road for the fully loaded LT plus more approaches and discounts on offer and an aim to get this car under 6.50 bracket, its seems pretty value for money.

The main concern now is:
1) Will it be trouble free car: We do not mind a bit of a premium for the spare parts cost but also do not want that we are buying a car today and tommorrow its going for repair. Is it relaible The engine( though not fun to drive but is it okay for a regular city bumper to bumper traffic).

2) Yes the resale value will be low but come on guys at price not at a 6 and half, after 3 years even it is being sold at 3 and a half, i don't see any harm. I mean we are buying cheap, we ll see cheap.

Well enough said, thats just my point of view.
Now I want you guys to throw your views on it. Is there any other cars in at this price range.

Thanks
Old 28th April 2010, 07:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6turbo View Post
But again just to let u know we are looking for a family car and its not just for my personal driving(Mum,Dad,Me and sis), whichever key comes first, the member of the family takes it away. We are also planning to keep the car for a while so please suggest accordingly
Good to hear. Aveo has good enough space for the family. Boot space is also good. But its not expandable, I mean, you cannot fold the rear seats as in an Accent or UVA for that matter. The only time I felt let out is when I plan to take my bikes for long drive in that. Not possible.

Quote:
4) Chevy Aveo 1.4 LT: I tell you. We finally went to the showroom saw the car and my sister she loved it. She said the car is so cute and my dad found the space in the car adequate and he also loved the colors inside and out plus car has all the features of the honda city, its build is perfect etc etc.
You are right. This is fully loaded at this price.

Quote:
So the VERDICT: It seems to a be a perfect family car and at a price 6.70 on road for the fully loaded LT plus more approaches and discounts on offer and an aim to get this car under 6.50 bracket, its seems pretty value for money.
@6.5L I am sure no other car comes close for that price and build.

Quote:
The main concern now is:
1) Will it be trouble free car: We do not mind a bit of a premium for the spare parts cost but also do not want that we are buying a car today and tommorrow its going for repair. Is it relaible The engine( though not fun to drive but is it okay for a regular city bumper to bumper traffic).
It is trouble free. Just keep doing your regular services and it will keep running. The gear shift used to be a complain from many. But I own a 2008 model and I don't see any difficulties. Opinion differ, so do a through test drive.

Let me see the negatives in the car I remember.
1. Sometimes the kweky sound from the seat belts. some owners have mentioned this in the forum too.
2. driving will full load on a bangy speed breaker, scrapes the underbody. But again, its the BBMP to be blamed and not the cars good suspension
3. Low pickup in lower RPM, especially with AC. But once you cross 2.5 -3K , it will pick up good in 3rd gear too.

As a package, the negatives are
1. Poor resale value.
2. bad sales figure.
3. GM - but this is changing.
4. A.S.S - used to be bad since we had just 1 dealer. But now its 3 here and growing. With the beat & cruze coming up I am sure it will only increase the number of service stations.
5. Spares - Parts are little bit on the higher side due to the volume of sales.

Quote:
2) Yes the resale value will be low but come on guys at price not at a 6 and half, after 3 years even it is being sold at 3 and a half, i don't see any harm. I mean we are buying cheap, we ll see cheap.
Resale. You have mentioned you will be keeping it for long. So, as long as you put it to right use and justify the purchase of the car (any car for that matter), do not worry about this.

Quote:
Well enough said, thats just my point of view.
Now I want you guys to throw your views on it. Is there any other cars in at this price range.

Thanks
Seems you should go for one more test drive with family and narrow on the car. This car is no doubt is a VFM.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 28th April 2010, 09:44   #9
BHPian

Are we also considering the option that the current model is soon going to be phased out soon, and by September/ October will be replaced with a refreshed design, and new engine options - which include the Fiat Multijet?
Old 28th April 2010, 10:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Are we also considering the option that the current model is soon going to be phased out soon, and by September/ October will be replaced with a refreshed design, and new engine options - which include the Fiat Multijet?
Are you sure about the 2nd half of your statement?

New engines?
Old 28th April 2010, 11:28   #11
BHPian

I owned Aveo for an year (2 years back). I had to sell it off due to relocation. I was happy with the car for its looks and build quality (the other options I had at the time were SX4, Fiesta and Verna). Aveo met most of my requirements and I went for it.

But as GTO mentioned the engine is lazy and gearshift horrible (though they did improve is to some extent during some facelifts). When I had to sell it off after a year, I faced the heat. It had the worst resale value in the segment. I had invested around 7.5L on the car (including tyre upgrades + alloys later). After an year I got a price of 5.65L. The price was Ok (compared to the market price), but had to do a lot of marketing for 2 months to get that price. The second best price quote was 5L.

If you are not worried about resale and if you are ok with the engine performance + gear shift, go for it.

Nirmal
Old 28th April 2010, 11:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
When I had to sell it off after a year, I faced the heat. It had the worst resale value in the segment. I had invested around 7.5L on the car (including tyre upgrades + alloys later). After an year I got a price of 5.65L. The price was Ok (compared to the market price), but had to do a lot of marketing for 2 months to get that price. The second best price quote was 5L.
Exactly the reason I mentioned. Anyway, the resale value in first few years is really bad. If you are sure to keep it for more than 5 years, then yes.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:14   #13

Guys thanks for all the responses. Just to let you know guys my dad just gave me a surprised and he just booked the i20 asta white and we all are satisfied with the decision. It has got all the space and features and seems to be a very user friendly car for everyone in the family and thanks again for all the guidance and support....
Old 15th May 2010, 15:56   #14

Hi...does AVEO come with Euro 4 engine or its still running on Euro 3 version?
Old 16th May 2010, 20:52   #15
BHPian

what about sx4 vxi. its a way better car than all you have mentioned....not that aveo or i20 are any bad, just more room to sit,power to the wheels and better service and resale.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks