Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:37   #16
Team-BHP Support

I believe they've stiffened the suspension in the new Civic which has addressed the bottoming out problem to some extent. Frankly, I drive the pre facelift in bbay and if one is careful its not as big a problem as its made out to be. If you're not going to be 4 - 5 in the car most of the time, its even less of an issue.

If GC is the "only" reason you're considering the City and all the other factors are insignificant, I'd say go for the Civic. If the other factors in my prev post matter to you (smaller dimension, better FE, lower cost etc.) then the City can be purchased, otherwise, no doubt the Civic is the obvious choice.

Happy TD'ving.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
Also if it voids warranty does that mean they won't service the car too?
In my opinion, HONDA A.S.S cannot refuse to service a car even if modifications by a user have void(ded) the whole warranty.

And the warranty becoming void does not mean the whole warranty policy is void. Its like if you go for an after-market alloy/ tyre change, the suspension warranty of the car may be void. If you go an an after-market electrical accessory which involves cutting of the existing electric wires in any manner, the electrical warranty of the car may become void.

And as per the manuals, Honda does not discourage after-market accessories/ installations. The users are advised to discuss changes with their Honda A.S.S and adhere to guidelines set before going-in for any modifications.
Old 7th May 2010, 13:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

With respect to ground clearance, I found City to be scraping more humps than Civic. The GC, which may have been a problem in older Civic, is no longer an issue. Of course it is not yet a high strung car. But it is extremely usable in most kind of roads. The only issue with Civic is its long wheelbase which may cause scratch while driving on badly uneven surfaces.

I would still suggest you to go for ANHC if your usage is primarily within the city. With its EPS and smaller dimensions, it is easier to drive in a city than Civic.
Old 7th May 2010, 14:01   #19
BHPian

I have been driving the facelifted Civic since last week and haven't had any issues with GC yet. I am driving rather slowly as the car is new. I drove on pretty bad roads outside Pune and no issues of GC there as well.

PS: I also had a chance to drive in very heavy rains and the wipers in Civic are pretty fast (compared to Alto). And I don't mean the frequency but the speed of travel. Not sure if the City has similar mechanism.
Old 7th May 2010, 14:07   #20
BANNED

I think vagabond answered the issue brilliantly 85% of Civic ant 75% of price. Of course Civic being a higher end car is more refined, has a higher end image, and is more peppy. The City is a very good value for money (those who think all Honda's are overpriced please excuse). If you drive yourself then by all means got for the Civic.
Old 7th May 2010, 14:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

If budget isnt an issue I would chose the Civic over ANHC in a heartbeat and should you
Its simply more special and driving it is more of sense of occasion.
Old 7th May 2010, 14:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
So I had almost finalized the deal for a black Civic AT, after a test drive when one of my friends told me he was really unhappy with his Civic due to its low height(especially in Bombay traffic) and prefers his ANHC instead.

What I'm really looking for is a car for general use which will mostly be used by my mom, chauffeur driven. But when I use it I'll be driving as I never use a chauffeur. This car will especially be used on a day to day basis, not long distances though, but to go to places where parking for my Merc or BMW is unsafe (Emblem theft, scratching, careless driving by others, narrow roads).

Also the ANHC in that new metallic blue looks just stunning. But I need you guys to help me decide.

How bad is the Civic's low ground clearance factor? And also what are the pros and cons of either car, both will be AT.
Just one question, why not Honda Jazz? I mean you already have Altis which can do what city/civic can do.

Last edited by HammerHead : 7th May 2010 at 14:16.
Old 7th May 2010, 14:47   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
If budget isnt an issue I would chose the Civic over ANHC in a heartbeat and should you
Its simply more special and driving it is more of sense of occasion.
+1. If i was in your shoes with budget not being an issue. I would go for the Civic with my eyes closed. Especially considering your purpose which is mostly being chaffeuring your mom and your occassional use.

Just make sure to tell your driver to be careful over humps

Oh btw, hope you plan to get a white Civic
Old 7th May 2010, 14:53   #24
BANNED

Have an Alabaster Silver AT (BS4 only on order since 20th March). First I was told 14th April, then 3/4 May and now first week of June since there is a minor upgrade (we may miss it without a microscope since they had one in September!) on the way. They wanted to fob off a BS3 car (Claimed to be BS4 complaint, not certified) which I refused.
Old 7th May 2010, 15:27   #25
BHPian

Saarth, I use civic on a daily basis. This is an excellent car. But if you are going to use it in narrow streets/parking spaces, I would say that a car which is a bit smaller would be a better choice. When it comes to travelling on narrow lanes, the car (civic) seems to be a bit big for comfort.
Also the turning radius seems to be more than comparable cars(say Altis). I have to plan a manuoures if I have to make a U turn on not so big roads to avoid moving back and forth where I would be doing the same comfortably in the Altis.

Dont know about new honda city.
My 2 cents. Hope would be useful to you.
Old 7th May 2010, 16:07   #26
BHPian

Hey, guys, I finally got the time to back and TD the City myself too. Personally I loved the Civic way more to drive, but agreed the City is smaller and easier in the city. I gave the final choice to my mother, and her final verdict is the Civic! Now onto the colour, I see too many white's on the road, so I was initially planning to go with the black. But when I saw the black one in person, the black isn't black enough, know what I mean?

Once I decide on the colour I'll go down and finalize the Civic.
Old 7th May 2010, 16:27   #27
BANNED

@Saarth: Black is beautiful as long as you have full time help to keep it clean!
Old 7th May 2010, 16:56   #28
BHPian

White CIVIC to me looks best. I also like the Polished Metallic and Habanero red. Color is personal choice anyway.
It is better to stay away from black - difficult to maintain in Indian conditions.
Old 7th May 2010, 16:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Have an Alabaster Silver AT (BS4 only on order since 20th March). First I was told 14th April, then 3/4 May and now first week of June since there is a minor upgrade (we may miss it without a microscope since they had one in September!) on the way. They wanted to fob off a BS3 car (Claimed to be BS4 complaint, not certified) which I refused.
Can you throw more light on the upgrade you heard about ? Also, going by your post, are the earlier Civic's only BS3 compliant and not BS4 ? I have a Jan 2010 model. Does it mean mine is only BS3 compliant then?
Old 7th May 2010, 17:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Like HH suggests - why not the JAZZ. i think it serves all your requirements in a better manner than the city or civic.

Most Viewed