Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2010, 15:54   #1
BHPian

Honda City or Civic?

So I had almost finalized the deal for a black Civic AT, after a test drive when one of my friends told me he was really unhappy with his Civic due to its low height(especially in Bombay traffic) and prefers his ANHC instead.

What I'm really looking for is a car for general use which will mostly be used by my mom, chauffeur driven. But when I use it I'll be driving as I never use a chauffeur. This car will especially be used on a day to day basis, not long distances though, but to go to places where parking for my Merc or BMW is unsafe (Emblem theft, scratching, careless driving by others, narrow roads).

Also the ANHC in that new metallic blue looks just stunning. But I need you guys to help me decide.

How bad is the Civic's low ground clearance factor? And also what are the pros and cons of either car, both will be AT.
Old 1st May 2010, 16:10   #2
BHPian

The low ground clearance was fixed to quite an extent in the facelift. I still feel that at 15l, it's a bit overpriced. Your sig says you have an Altis. According to me, Altis is MUCH better chauffeur driven car than the Civic. The latter is a performance car, but since you have a BMW, do you really need that? Here are my suggestions :

1. Fixed Budget : Hyundai Sonata. Best rear seat in the class, nice car to drive. Not sure if you get an AT though.
2. Fixed Budget : Toyota Altis. Another car for great rearseat comfort, but would you mind 2 Altis in the same garage?
3. Expandable Budget : Nissan Teana. Ah, the rear seat is luxury Be warned, NOT a drivers car.
4. Expandable Budget : Skoda Superb. Great performance + comfort. Would have been my choice.

Last edited by prateekm : 1st May 2010 at 16:15.
Old 1st May 2010, 16:16   #3
BHPian

Thing is, the Altis is used mainly by my brother who is almost never at home. :/

And I should have mentioned this, but my mom insists on it being a Honda (God knows why) since its going to be "her car". Hence her choices limit me to the Civic and City.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

ANHC = 85% of Civic at 75% price.

If you can afford Civic then go for it, It is also a better chauffer driven.
if one is going tobe a self driven, then ANHC is better.

Mothers have something called gut feel which is better than that of men. Go with your mother's instincts.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
Thing is, the Altis is used mainly by my brother who is almost never at home. :/

And I should have mentioned this, but my mom insists on it being a Honda (God knows why) since its going to be "her car". Hence her choices limit me to the Civic and City.
If she is so keen on a Honda, why not an Accord? The rear comfort is comparable to the E class and also a good drivers car.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:40   #6
BHPian

The Accord is too large for the purpose of the car I'm looking to purchase. Also my budget isn't really as much of an issue, I personally was more keen on checking out the Teana, but anything apart from a Honda is a firm no for her.

While we're on about Honda's, how is the Honda warranty policy? Is changing to after market alloys and head/tail lights something that is frowned upon and something that would void warranty?
Old 1st May 2010, 18:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the ANHC as its almost as good as a Civic. It provides almost all the merits of a Civic at a lower price. Civic is overpriced for what it offers and it depreciates more than City.
Old 1st May 2010, 22:33   #8
BHPian

Anand123, that's true. However, my only concern about the Civic was the ground clearance. If that has been improved, I don't see why I shouldn't go for it. Are there any exclusivities in either car from the other?

Anyone know about the warranty policy of Honda?
Old 1st May 2010, 22:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda or its dealers actively encourage owners to stay with authentic Honda accessories, service stations, parts, etc etc. Their encouragement towards Honda branded or pre-approevd things is so passionate and pushy that it appears to the owners that they discourage other non honda approevd things.

Honda offers 2 + 2 year warrantee with ofcourse conditions. If owners choose to handle his destiny (= take his own decision w.r.t the accessories, parts , servcie etc) then Honda is very happy to let him do it and in return they promise not to discuss/comply with the warrantee in totality.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 1st May 2010 at 22:40.
Old 1st May 2010, 23:01   #10
BHPian

So how do guys who do change their alloys etc. get by? Also if it voids warranty does that mean they won't service the car too?
Old 1st May 2010, 23:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So how do guys who do change their alloys etc. get by? Also if it voids warranty does that mean they won't service the car too?
Alloys are of lesser problem than e.g electricals, lighting, ICE etc.
there are several owners in the forum who have bought the alloys at Honda as well as outside.

The VMT varient comes with Alloys, if you are going for SMT version in ANHC, then some times Honda offers reasonably good deal on alloys as well, some times one can negotiate it as a part of his car purchase deal.

Ofcourse Civic comes with Alloys as a default (i think)

If you manage to get the right wheel alignment and balancing then having alloys from outside is of less problem in general sense. But when it comes to warrantee legality, the Honda always reserves the right to reject the claims in case of any issues in future.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 1st May 2010 at 23:11.
Old 1st May 2010, 23:18   #12
Muzungu

both are different segment cars and if your needs are bigger, go for civic.

if you can manage with a smaller car, go for City.

Old 1st May 2010, 23:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anand123, that's true. However, my only concern about the Civic was the ground clearance. If that has been improved, I don't see why I shouldn't go for it. Are there any exclusivities in either car from the other?

ANHC has a slightly taller stance, which means getting in/out is relatively easier and also provides more commanding view of the road, which can be handy in the city dirving.
City obviously gives better FE. Civic has smaller boot space then City.
Civic is better in all other aspects IMO.
Old 2nd May 2010, 07:05   #14
Team-BHP Support

If you have better cars in your garage and this is mainly Pt. A to Pt. B vehicle, I'd say go for the ANHC. The slightly smaller dimensions would be handy given the proposed usage, the GC is marginally better, the paddle mechanism is the same as the Civic (since you'll also use it occassionally) and if you are largely driving in the city, you may not need the higher power output etc of the Civic. The City is also a better airport drop / pickup with its much larger boot.

If the feel good factor is important to you (while you are sitting inside) then the Civic it is. The City interiors just look too drab IMO and there's little you can do to improve it to the same levels as the Civic.
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:22   #15
BHPian

So it seems I have to go back to TD the ANHC. Agreed, the City may suit the purpose better, being smaller. However I must check out the difference myself in flesh. When I TD'd I didn't find the GC of the Civic to be a hindrance actually. If I can't make the decision, I will just ask mommy dearest to pick one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks