Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 22:03   #16
BHPian

I think that most ASCs will tell you about the service history of a car if give them the registration no. Just make sure not to give them to the used car sales person there, or they might snatch up the car if they feel they can resell it for a higher price. This has happened to a friend of mine. To avoid this, go to the showroom yourself and get service history. Make sure to take not of any upcoming routine replacements/overhauls. Always overstate the asking price and claim that the owner won't sell for less. If history is satisfactory, go to the owner immediately, re-negotiate if needed and give token advance on the spot. Settle as soon as possible.

It's always worth paying a bit extra if the vehicle is good. I came across this beautifully maintained, low mileage 2007 Indigo LS, and the asking price was 3 lacs (market price was 2.7L for 2007 model, 3L at First Choice). The car had only covered 28K and was clean. I was prepared to pay 2.85L for it, and the deal only fell through because the owner and the broker had a big fight.

Since the Logan Petrol isn't really in demand, you have some room to negotiate. Make the most of the fact that the JV is dissolved.
Old 12th June 2010, 13:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

HI Sameer

The price looks enticing though a little more bargaining will surely be possible.

But only 35% tread remaining on a 18K odd run car looks a little suspicious.

Check out the car thoroughly before taking the plunge.
Old 29th October 2010, 22:26   #18

Went to my local Mahindra first choice dealer yesterday, and saw a Logan 1.5 dci gle, single owner and done 36k kms, negotiated for 3.5 lac with 1 year mahindra first choice warranty, good buy? will be heading down tomorrow to pay token amount, so thought i could use some last minute advice.
Old 14th December 2012, 19:02   #19
kkg
BHPian

Used Logan 1.4 or 1.6?? Or none.

This is for a close friend of mine. We have seen two cars but confused which one to buy??

1. Mahindra Logan 1.4glx 2007 but 2008 regd 55000 kms run with service record (verified through Mahindra). Fuel pump and ignition coil recently changed. No maintenance required as of now other than two tyres. Car is neat and straight both in and out. Settling price is last 1.5 lacs. Also it will require a timing belt change at 60000 kms costing around 12000rs.

2. Mahindra Logan 1.6glx 2007 21000 kms (partial service history) but genuine kms. Tyres are good except one. Some dry denting is required and one OVRM is missing. Price 1.5lacs.

We have inquired about the status of parts and spares . The guys at mahindra say that although all parts are/ can be made available, they are costly and so is their labour. Their genuine advice is to avoid petrol Logan all cost. But at these prices we are lured to take the risk as I know we have many happy Logan users on our forum and it is not as bad as it is made out to be. Also our intent is to fit CNG as soon as possible so 1.6 is good as it has far better in terms of drivebilty but the thing is that petrol 1.4 is still available in Verito so spares can be procured in future but it is extremely dull to drive in petrol itself (what will happen in CNG).

My question is are both these cars good deals at these prices?? Or should we need to avoid Logan altogether. I feel its a very underrated car which is built to last (mechanically atleast).

We need to decide the deal this weekend only. So urgent help is needed.

Last edited by kkg : 14th December 2012 at 19:05.
Old 14th December 2012, 19:35   #20
BHPian

Hi,

As you mentioned, there are numerous Logans which we observe on a daily basis and they have easily clocked more than 250k kms. And these cabs are petrol ones which have been converted to CNG. According to me, a major chunk of the Logan's sales were for the petrol variants.

Alternatively, why don't you look out for an Esteem? Should cost you around the same.

Before you make a choice, do consider the below-

1) if you'll go for an esteem, the model will be older say 06 /07 but, overall drivability will be fun, maintenance low and the spares cheap. Minor squeaks and rattles will come free though

2) if a Logan, you get a younger car and stupendous build quality. However, not sure about the cost of spares and the repair-friendliness where, Maruti vehicles win hands down.

Last edited by MetalBuff : 14th December 2012 at 19:46.
Old 14th December 2012, 20:20   #21
kkg
BHPian

Re: Used Logan 1.4 or 1.6?? Or none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Hi,

Alternatively, why don't you look out for an Esteem? Should cost you around the same.

1) if you'll go for an esteem, the model will be older say 06 /07 but, overall drivability will be fun, maintenance low and the spares cheap. Minor squeaks and rattles will come free though

Thanks for you suggestion mate but Esteem is not even in contention list. It has no space inside as compared to Logan plus boot is all eaten up once CNGd.

It is fun to drive and easy to maintain no doubt.
Old 14th December 2012, 22:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post

Thanks for you suggestion mate but Esteem is not even in contention list. It has no space inside as compared to Logan plus boot is all eaten up once CNGd.

It is fun to drive and easy to maintain no doubt.
Ah! I wasn't aware of the space criteria. In that case, you'd rather go for for the Logan instead of the Indigo (superb space) and then running pillar to post sorting out the niggles

You can also stretch your budget slightly for a Honda city (dolphin shape). Very spacious boot and insides.

That said, didn't suggest the type 1 Honda City (EXi!! I dare not say VTEC as, the vehicle will be CNG'ed. I'll be shot in the head ) and the Baleno for the very same reasons for which the Esteem was striked off. The Baleno might also prove to be heavy on the pocket, due to the dearth of it's spares these days.

Good luck!

Last edited by MetalBuff : 14th December 2012 at 22:52.
Old 14th December 2012, 22:52   #23
BHPian

Being the owner of a Diesel Logan, I can vouch for the sturdy build quality of this car.

I do agree that the 1.4 would be a bit slow off the block given the 11kgm torque, but that should compromise for a slightly higher mileage for a car of this size.

I would suggest you to go for the 1.4, if you are still interested in it. As you said the Verito is still available with the 1.4l engine and should not be a service nightmare.

All the best.
Old 14th December 2012, 22:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

I'll suggest you to avoid logan, If you intend to put CNG kit in it. My pick would be a used 2004/2005 Honda city instead, Search around you may find 50-55k kms done examples for around 1.8L, then put CNG in it.

Spared are easily available aftermarket, plus engine is good to drive, So won't be as sluggish as Logan's on CNG.

P.S Fellow bhpian drmohitg is trying to sell his City dolphin one, I guess 2005 model, around 50k kms done and Is in excellent condition, I have personally seen it. You can perhaps, PM him for more info.

Good Luck.

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 15:05   #25
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
I'll suggest you to avoid logan, If you intend to put CNG kit in it. My pick would be a used 2004/2005 Honda city instead, Search around you may find 50-55k kms done examples for around 1.8L, then put CNG in it.

Spared are easily available aftermarket, plus engine is good to drive, So won't be as sluggish as Logan's on CNG.

P.S Fellow bhpian drmohitg is trying to sell his City dolphin one, I guess 2005 model, around 50k kms done and Is in excellent condition, I have personally seen it. You can perhaps, PM him for more info.

Good Luck.

Cheers,
Sameer
I am aware of drmohitg's city is up for sale. But my friend is not keen on buying 2004-05 cars (any make). He likes the earlier city though but wants a 07-08 one which in good condition is anywhere around 3lacs+.

BTW, the 1.6 Logan is now been negotiated down to 1.4 lacs. How's the deal now??
Old 15th December 2012, 16:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post

I am aware of drmohitg's city is up for sale. But my friend is not keen on buying 2004-05 cars (any make). He likes the earlier city though but wants a 07-08 one which in good condition is anywhere around 3lacs+.

BTW, the 1.6 Logan is now been negotiated down to 1.4 lacs. How's the deal now??
Hi KKG,

As the owner of a petrol 2008, 1.6 glx with 60000 on the odo I can vouch for the following.

1. The build quality: except dodgy ergonomics, the build quality is superb, these 5 years I have not made any major changes and have never had any mechanical failures. It is a robust car which can take a fair amount of abuse, so if it is well maintained it is a case of, fill it, shut it and forget about it

2: The average service costs me about 5k all inclusive, spares have not been a concern thus far...cannot say what the future holds though.

3: You are getting a solid deal on the price, I sold mine last month (new job required 50kms of city driving hence the need for a diesel fluidic Verna) for 1.9 without the music system mind you.

The car is mechanically good for at least 1lakh km niggle free IMO, I would say....go for it.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 12:17   #27
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hi KKG,

As the owner of a petrol 2008, 1.6 glx with 60000 on the odo I can vouch for the following.

1. The build quality: except dodgy ergonomics, the build quality is superb, these 5 years I have not made any major changes and have never had any mechanical failures. It is a robust car which can take a fair amount of abuse, so if it is well maintained it is a case of, fill it, shut it and forget about it

The car is mechanically good for at least 1lakh km niggle free IMO, I would say....go for it.
Thanks Stribog for your genuine opinion. The actual experiences of Logan owners like you matter and instill confidence. May be the deal would go through this weekend .

BTW, are the parts like oil filter, air filter, disc pads are common/same in both 1.4 and 1.6??
kkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 18:19   #28
BHPian

if you have to buy it, buy it, 1.4 or 1.6 will not matter since M&M is hardly selling the petrol 1.4. One thing to be remembered is that do not have the car for more than a year, that's it, after that you will see the dark side of owning one. This will not apply to the diesel though.

Last edited by GTO : 17th December 2012 at 16:34. Reason: Please do NOT use SMS language on Team-BHP
Old 16th December 2012, 18:40   #29
kkg
BHPian

[quote=zulfi hansi;2991751} This will not apply to the diesel though.[/QUOTE]

Kindly enlighten me on the darker side. Why one year?? Tell me fast, I am on verge of deciding the car.
Old 16th December 2012, 18:49   #30
BHPian

You are one man on a horse. I'd say that only for economic reasons, after one year it may not fetch much of a resale value for one, another reason is the spares for the petrol version may become scarce over time (body parts will be common with the diesel version so any thing other than what is common with it may be a problem), the car is built well and you may not require much of spares, but also to be considered that fact that its a used car and its no Toyota. All in all avoid if you can, but if you want to buy use it as much as you can and sell it fast or else it is on its way to become another Opel Astra (I used to own one, very good car but no service back-up). Even considering you may not lose much on resale since you are paying only 1.5 L, but stress free ownership is what is important to enjoy driving it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks