Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 22:36   #1
BHPian

One more with the 14 lakh car query

First of i have read many articles on team-bhp about the below mentioned sedans but i've only got more confused, the only way out, i thought was to ask help based on my personal requirements and thoughts and hopefully i can make up my mind.
I've been looking for a new car for my dad, narrowed it down to the civic (s model) and corolla altis (G model)
I really like the civic though i think the new facelift spoils it's clean look, the interiors are a nice place to be but, i think the Altis is better value at the price and relatively newer,
whereas civic should be replaced by a new model in the next 20 months or so, i plan to keep the car for at least 6 years and don't want to have a model that gets outdated in less than 2 years (I wish the new civic was around the corner but it's not) . Also everyone who's owned the previous generation corolla are very content with it. The only problem is that it doesn't seem like a very exciting car in terms of interior or exterior design, that is my only issue with it, otherwise it seems to be quite a good package. (Any altis owners who can tell me about any reliability issues they have faced?)

Also his monthly running is about 800 km all within mumbai city, which he drives himself. So which is the better option for me civic or the altis...
Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 15th June 2010, 22:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

If your dad is going to drive, I would suggest the Altis. Its got better suspension and the engine is pretty repsonsive too.

Chevrolet Cruze would be a good option too except for the turbo lag during city driving.
Old 15th June 2010, 22:47   #3
BHPian

I have an optra, i am not happy with GM's service and the way the company itself starts discounting it's cars. Plus the resale value is terrible. So didn't want to consider another Chevrolet.
Old 15th June 2010, 22:56   #4
BHPian

If you wish to consider preowned cars, your choice increases dramatically, as you will then be looking at the next segment cars, Accord instead of civic, or camry instead of Altis. I had a similar dilemma, resolved it with buying a camry and so far am extremely happy with the decision, each time I drive it!
Old 15th June 2010, 23:08   #5
BHPian

The thing is i did look at pre owned cars but i am going to finance the car with a loan and interest on 2nd hand car loans is very high, i am looking at a 5 year loan
Old 15th June 2010, 23:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you ask me, the best value for money (including peace of mind) in the new car today is Honda City VMT @ 10L +/- 50K

if i had 14 lacs +/-1 lac i would go for new Civic VMT and use it for 5-7 years. Civic recently got a facelift (as well as price lift).

other option is to go for a used Civic at 8-9Lacs and invest that remaining 5-6lacs. keep the car for 3 years and buy a new one in D+ segment after that with the extra money as downpayment. This saving can offset your extra interest for 2nd hand car loans.
Old 16th June 2010, 10:30   #7
BHPian

Looking at your preference for a petrol, why not look at the Laura TSi?
Old 16th June 2010, 11:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

If Cruze is out then Altis is the only option you have if your father is the one driving and on second thoughts even otherwise.
Old 17th June 2010, 00:26   #9
BHPian

I test drove the altis and the civic, civic is definitely more appealing (dont know if the appeal fades over time) altis seemed like a no nonsense car it just does what it's supposed to, nothing more nothing less. Still not sure gonna think about this a little more
Old 17th June 2010, 03:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi ishaan,

You already have the Fiesta and the Swift to satisfy the enthusiast driver in you. Your dad as well as your mom will appreciate the Altis much more than the Civic. You have not clarified whether your dad will be primarily driving himself or whether he would be driven around.

In either case the Altis is a much better car to drive on a day to day basis. I personally find the Civic's A pillars to be a major hindrance in everyday driving situations and more so at city driving speeds.

Secondly the rear seat of the Altis is more comfortable to sit in as also the ingress/egress is much better in the Altis and this is a major criteria for anyone who is around 50.

Last but not the least if you are not happy with GM's service, I wonder how you would feel about the increasingly boorish behaviour of the Honda service personnel.
Old 17th June 2010, 04:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
I test drove the altis and the civic, civic is definitely more appealing (dont know if the appeal fades over time) altis seemed like a no nonsense car it just does what it's supposed to, nothing more nothing less. Still not sure gonna think about this a little more

Like you mentioned in your first post, this car would more often be used by your father. If that is the case, and if he is not a enthusiastic driver (I don't mean that he drives fast, but just likes to drive), go for the Altis. It has a superior ride as well. The Altis is also easier to get into (slightly higher and the glasshouse doesn't taper as sharply).

On the other hand, if your father enjoys driving, I think it has to be the civic. It feels tauter and more of one with the driver (I think that has more to do with the lower seating position).
Old 17th June 2010, 21:04   #12
BHPian

thanks for all the advice i think the scales are balanced more towards the altis' side. Inquired about the loans 9% for 5 years 10.89 lakhs amount funded 22,438 is the emi, does that sound good.

Last edited by ishaanranderia : 17th June 2010 at 21:07.
Old 17th June 2010, 21:21   #13
BHPian

I have been driving Altis though in US for 8 months and i also took test drive of Civic before finalizing for Altis.

Things which i observed
1) Altis has a better suspension so when you go over a bump it does not give you a feel that bad as compared to Civic which gives a feeling something really hard has hit you.

2) High rise so gives a safe and comfort feeling. Civic being a low rise car its good for young people but for person like your Dad its good to go for Altis.

3) Wooden interiors would be liked by your dad as compared to Civic which would be too flashy for him

I have seen people giving you other options but fail to understand when you have narrowed down on either Altis or Civic why everyone is suggesting other cars.. Lets help our fellow Bhpian to choose from either one or two rather than confusing him.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:59   #14
BHPian

the altis is the way to go, i have seen recent adverts offering freebies like insurance, try and hook that up..based on the loan term & amount your emi, seems fair, IMO
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:56   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ishaan, since your father is going to be driving himself, you MUST buy an AT. The Altis & Civic ATs are both competent cars, but the Altis is more practical. Higher seating position, better low end torque and its cheaper too. Plonk that deposit on an Altis Automatic without a second thought; your father will love you for it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks