Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 19:48   #1
BHPian

Car in 12 to 13 Lakh (ex-show room)

Hi All,

I am considering to have an upgrade from my current 4 year old Aveo. I have absolutely no complaints about Aveo so far and have clocked around 35K. Only reason I am planning an upgrade is to utilize the car lease scheme in my company and looking forward to:

> More space inside the car, compared to Aveo.
> Better features compared to my Aveo (My Aveo has 1600 CC engine, with ABS and Airbags).
> Better performance than Aveo.
> Prefer good ground clearance (unfortunately higher end sedans have lower end GC)

So, I shortlisted the following cars (I am only looking at Manual Transmission cars):

1. Cruze LTZ
2. Corolla Altis G
3. Civic
4. Innova VX

Cruze:

Today I went to have a look at Cruze. I could not get the car for a test drive, but was able to have a look at the interiors. Although there are lot of WOW factors, I seriously felt the space inside Cruze is a big let down. I feel Aveo offers better legroom at the back than Cruze

Corolla Altis:

My next pit stop was Toyota show room to have a look at Corolla Altis. Space inside is OK, better than Cruze, not sure how better can it be compared to Aveo. The surface at the back is almost flat, which is a plus. Felt drive seat comfort to be better compared to Aveo. Took a test drive. Initial pull is better compared to Aveo, but at higher speeds I could not really find any significant difference than Aveo. So, overall not a straight forward buy for this car.

I am yet to check Civic & also Innova VX. Planning to check them over the weekend. Keeping fingers crossed that Civic can offer better space & features compared to Altis. Or not?

Overall, am still not convinced about putting those extra money on top of my Aveo as none of the cars in 12 to 13L segment can give me all that I want. Any suggestions? Any other cars to consider?
Old 16th June 2010, 20:16   #2
BHPian

Civic has the least ground clearance. If you are looking at performance then consider Cedia, top ranked performance oriented car one can get in this price range. Altis and Innova have best ride comfort though they are in different segments. You might also consider Laura, best in its class except for the A.S.S

Cheers
Old 16th June 2010, 20:26   #3
BHPian

my vote would be for the Altis. A very reliable and brilliant car. it is cheaper than civic and hence you can maximum features for your money.
Old 16th June 2010, 20:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
You might also consider Laura, best in its class except for the A.S.S

Cheers
From what I have seen of Skodas, rear seating comfort is really bad. At best it will be similar to Cruze I guess. Also, did not consider Skods because of A.S.S.

I will check out Cedia too. Thanks.
Old 17th June 2010, 03:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Utilising the car lease scheme IMHO is not a good enough reason to invest in a depreciating asset. However if you like to have something different, pls look at the Innova as all other vehicles will give you a wee bit more space / pickup / status / comfort than your Aveo but the Innova will give you a lot of versatility.

You can also keep the Aveo (a 4 year old will have terrible resale in the market) and enjoy both by having a car for the city and a minivan for the highway jaunts, especially if you like a lot of space around you or like to carry the house along
Old 17th June 2010, 08:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Utilising the car lease scheme IMHO is not a good enough reason to invest in a depreciating asset. However if you like to have something different, pls look at the Innova
Yes, absolutely correct. I am not in a hurry & also don't mind continuing with Aveo for some more years if I don't find a suitable car in this segment. Innova is definitely worth looking at, will check out.
Old 17th June 2010, 09:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
From what I have seen of Skodas, rear seating comfort is really bad. At best it will be similar to Cruze I guess. Also, did not consider Skods because of A.S.S.

I will check out Cedia too. Thanks.
I drive skoda laura 1.8 TSI (petrol) in Bangalore and it is absolute pleasure to drive the car, wonderful driving experience. I have never driven Cedia but Laura 1.8 TSI has to be same or better than cedia in terms of performance. It is extremely comfortable with respect to rear seating as well. Take a test drive before eliminating this car. Regarding skoda A.S.S it is improved drastically and is same or better than Ford / Fiat (I own ford and fiat cars) as far as I am concerned. Also the visit to service center is once in a year and hence the impact on A.S.S need to be though through before commenting on the same.
Old 21st June 2010, 09:05   #8
BHPian

I did few more test drives subsequent to my last post here.

Cruze LTZ MT:
==============================
Positives:

> Amazing power, it just takes off once you cross that turbo-lag
> Impressed with push button start & stop. Everything at single push.
> Did not notice and issue with clutch as mentioned by others in different threads

Negatives:

> Space inside. Although in the second glance, I felt the space to be OK, but we cannot say there is "ample space".
> Turbo lag at lower RPMs. May be some getting-used-to is required.
> Getting in & out of car is definitely not a smooth one.

Could not really test the ground clearance part. I am kind of ruling out Cruze for now.

Civic - V MT
=================
> I don't think I need to write anything about this, as enough about this car has been discussed in different threads. I wanted to get hold of new Civic (preferably 2010) and check if that supposedly stiff rear suspension can overcome the issue of low GC. Unfortunately, I could not get the new Civic for TD & also I could not get hold of 2 of my other friends to come along with me to add-their-weight-around to put the Civic to real test.

> I don't have any cribs about space inside & drivability. Found boot space to be very less, even compared to my Aveo

Innova - VX (Bs IV, with intercooler)
===========================

Could not get the car for TD. However, it is such a breeze to get in & out of the car. Also, the space inside the car is just marvelous. Felt this is more practical car for Indian conditions.

Final shortlist
===========

Innova --> Mind says so. More practical, lot of space. Hopefully drive will not let me down. However, everyone in the family is worried about "taxi tag/looks". Planning to put "Not for Hire" board, if I buy one

Civic --> Heart says so. Inside feeling in Civic gives that luxury feel than Innova :-( Especially when you are paying 1.5 million, you should get that luxury feeling, isn't it?
Old 21st June 2010, 09:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassanks View Post
It is extremely comfortable with respect to rear seating as well. Take a test drive before eliminating this car.
I did visit Skoda showroom & checked Laura. Seating comfort is really good both at the front & at the back, but it can hold only 4 people. There is no space for the fifth person (which is very much required for me). They have promised to give a test drive on Wednesday. Let us see. I am not too keen on this car at this moment.
Old 21st June 2010, 09:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I did visit Skoda showroom & checked Laura. Seating comfort is really good both at the front & at the back, but it can hold only 4 people. There is no space for the fifth person (which is very much required for me). They have promised to give a test drive on Wednesday. Let us see. I am not too keen on this car at this moment.
Laura can only seat 2 people at the back comfortably due to rear AC vents. 3rd person cannot sit comfortable due to armrest and rear AC vent.
Old 21st June 2010, 09:48   #11
BHPian

Another general thing I noticed yesterday:

There were lot of buzz and more people in GM and Toyota showrooms than in Honda. There were lot of people checking Beat and Cruze at GM showroom. Similarly many people at Toyota looking at Altis/Innova. Honda show room just had one family waiting for their City to be delivered.
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi,If you want to compare driving pleasure between Civic and Innova, I would suggest to buy the Civic w/o even testing the Innova. In terms of refinement, smoothness and general handling, the Civic is way ahead of Innova. Innova is for persons who like space / leg space , versatility, diesel economy and a bit of ruggedness. Also, while providing all this, Innova is still almost like a car to drive - more so once you get used to the long throw but slick shifting gear lever and the slightly hard clutch.I bought an Innova Vx last year - why? Because we frequently have my parents come over and 4 adults plus 2 kids is very uncomfortable in any sedan. Add to that the massive rear leg room in the Innova and you have very little fatigue on long drives. Finally, the kids propensity to see movies / play games means they are best left in the last seat for at least a part of the trip.With the Innova, we are always ready to take another family along on a long drive - something we found very tight in our sedan.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 22nd June 2010 at 16:07.
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Innova --> Mind says so. More practical, lot of space. Hopefully drive will not let me down. However, everyone in the family is worried about "taxi tag/looks". Planning to put "Not for Hire" board, if I buy one

Heck, even a Merc/BMW/Audi is used as a taxi, now would people stop buying it cause it is used as a taxi somewhere else? Stop fretting about the taxi image. If you really need such a big car, go ahead.

Civic --> Heart says so. Inside feeling in Civic gives that luxury feel than Innova :-( Especially when you are paying 1.5 million, you should get that luxury feeling, isn't it?

Civic though a driver's car is over priced IMO. Also the ground clearance is a big hindrance.
Presuming that you will not dispose the Aveo, I suggest you go for Innova.
You will have a sedan and a bigger MPV too
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:53   #14
BHPian

Thanks guys for all suggestions. I have almost decided that I go for Innova. Just few questions to Innova owners:

> Innova Vx model comes with music system as well. I guess there is no AUX/USB input (which is a -ve for me). How easy or difficult is it to get the DVD player fit instead (or in addition) to OE HU?

> Is it possible to have the Bluetooth in-car kit fit somehow? (with FM transmitter?). As the HU does not have Aux input, is it a problem?

Another general question:

> What all do I need to have in the car (antenna, STB??) to get satellite TV transmission inside the car? How much does the entire kit cost and what are the subscription charges?

Note from Mod: Congrats on the decision! Please note that the questions from this post have been answered on the forum. Do search.

As you've decided on the car, I am now closing this thread.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2010 at 21:45. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed