Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:03   #16
BHPian

A new Octy?

Hey man,

So I know that no one has made this suggestion yet, but, if you require a diesel sedan that performs well in the City and the Highway, then why not take a look at the Octavia Diesel? I know it is a previous generation car, but it is extremely reliable and is a work horse that will last you 200,000 km at the very least. Although, maintenance will be a higher than equivalently priced Japanese cars.

On the other hand, if you want something with a good resale value and excellent comfort (better than sedans that are a segment higher) then the City will be your best bet. Although, IMHO, it is grossly over priced to be called VFM, it does offer better comfort than the Corolla Altis, Civic, Laura and Jetta. However, in this case, your fuel bills will be astronomical.

The Vento, however, is what I'd wait for. Being a German car, its highway characteristics will be impeccable, however, except for the 1.6 Petrol engine, none of the Polo/Vento engines will be fun to drive, they will however be economical. This car may just strike the correct balance between seating comfort and efficiency. Keep in mind though, there is no ways anybody can predict the reliability of the Polo/Vento. The way these cars behave in other markets is no indication of their reliability in India.
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:03   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Budget:
- upto 10 lakhs if new car {Since financing options are better in new car }
- upto 5.5 lakhs if used car
Neither. Stretch the budget for a used car to 8 - 9 lakhs. Then, shop around for the newest Civic or Altis that you can find. 10,000 - 20,000 kms are nothing for Hondas & Toyotas...they are built to outlast their owners. For 8 - 9 lakhs, you'll get a pre-owned car that is superior to anything new in the bracket, and by a mile.

If you can't stretch your budget for a used car over 5.5 lakhs, then its better for you to buy new (as you have a 10 lakh rupee budget).

Quote:
- Reliable, trouble free car. It will be the only car, I cant afford to spend time at workshops on niggles.
- VFM. I am ok to pay premium, if it gives quality and peace of mind.
The ANHC fits your requirements best.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:59   #18
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Best Option for you
New:
1) Manza Aura + Diesel - Best Value - Best Space. Warranty support, now quite reliable, engine used in many cars today. Diesel economy.
2) Linea Emotion Pack Option Diesel- Good Value - Decent Space - Best Looks, engine used in many cars today. Diesel economy.

Used:
Stretch budget to 8L and get a
1) Corolla Altis
2) Honda Civic
3) Accord 2.4 MT/AT - 2005-2007
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:05   #19
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like my post got timmed out.

Suggest that since you have high kms for new

1) Tata Manza Aura + ABS Diesel - Best Value, Best Space, Deisel Economy. Good low maintenance Engine.
2) Fiat Linea Emotion Pack Option Diesel - Good Value, Best Looks, Diesel Economy. Good low maintenance Engine.

Used - Stretch budget to 8L and get
1) Corolla Altis - Post 2008
2) Honda Civic - Post 2008
3) Honda Accord - 2.4 AT/MT ( 2005-2007)

Honda city would be cramped for 5 people compared to all the cars mentioned above. Though very reliable, is quite low in features and is not a great buy when used due to high resale price.
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:52   #20
BHPian

Thanks All for the suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
So I know that no one has made this suggestion yet, but, if you require a diesel sedan that performs well in the City and the Highway, then why not take a look at the Octavia Diesel? I know it is a previous generation car, but it is extremely reliable and is a work horse that will last you 200,000 km at the very least. Although, maintenance will be a higher than equivalently priced Japanese cars.
Considering other skoda service stories, this is ruled out.

Quote:
....then the City will be your best bet. Although, IMHO, it is grossly over priced to be called VFM, it does offer better comfort than the Corolla Altis, Civic, Laura and Jetta. ....

The Vento, however, is what I'd wait for. ...Keep in mind though, there is no ways anybody can predict the reliability of the Polo/Vento. The way these cars behave in other markets is no indication of their reliability in India.
Thanks. Another friend too suggested Vento. Started reading the Polo ownership threads. So far impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Neither. Stretch the budget for a used car to 8 - 9 lakhs. ....
If you can't stretch your budget for a used car over 5.5 lakhs, then its better for you to buy new (as you have a 10 lakh rupee budget).

The ANHC fits your requirements best.
Thanks. I guess used car is ruled out. I am exploring OD facility with banks, but my risk levels and rate of interest are simply high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
1) Tata Manza Aura + ABS Diesel - Best Value, Best Space, Deisel Economy. Good low maintenance Engine.
2) Fiat Linea Emotion Pack Option Diesel - Good Value, Best Looks, Diesel Economy. Good low maintenance Engine.

Used - Stretch budget to 8L and get
1) Corolla Altis - Post 2008
2) Honda Civic - Post 2008
3) Honda Accord - 2.4 AT/MT ( 2005-2007)

Thanks. I am including the new cars suggested. Used cars that you quoted are out of my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
2250 Kms/month is a lot of driving around. My recommendations are defnitely a new Diesel.
Yes. Thanks to my new house. I am still trying to optimize/ reduce this.

Quote:
Here is my list if you like it
1. Innova - Great for long journeys
2. Manza - A real big car and a true VFM
3. i20 CRDi? - Great Diesel car with all bells and wistles
Innova is out of my range. Even used car rates seem to hold value than Hondas.
Manza, yes.
i20 - will it be comfortable for 5 person family? I would also like to "upgrade" to a sedan/ SUV feel. For the heck of it, I will TD this and Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
Some gyan on ANHC since you listed #1 in both used and new list.

I personally own an ANHC, ...

So ANHC would be the last option in my recommendation list, since running-in costs are still not comparable to the Diesels.
Coming from ANHC owner, much appreciated. This is what TBHP is for. Candid feedback from actual owners. Much appreciated.

Yes, will keep in mind the fuel efficiency. Reading some of the long term ANHC threads the service costs of ANHC seems to be lower than my Santro Thats a real tempting reason to have a hard look at ANHC.
I have moved to new locality trying to figure out my daily mileage and looking at ways to optimize. If the mileage can be reduced, then ANHC will up my ranking.

Summary of recommendations:
Used car - ruled out with my budget limitations.

New car - based on suggestions and my own perceptions, the following are in my radar (in no particular order)
Tata Manza
Fiat Linea
Ford Fiesta
Honda City
Vento
i20 & Polo - atleast a TD.
Scorpio - atleast TD

I know this is a sedan forum, but Scorpio was not discussed. Should I consider it?

Also having started travelling everyday long commutes and feel that Driver comfort should be a major criteria in any of the above cars. Any suggestions for this?

Last edited by druva : 23rd June 2010 at 14:56. Reason: Incomplete sentence
Old 24th June 2010, 14:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

it has to be either ford fiesta for outright performance or linea if you can stretch or manza if you cant stretch

Honda city comes in last due to price only.
i would keep off polo and i20 for price reasons.
vento is something not even launched. scorpio is different category!
Old 24th June 2010, 16:02   #22
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th June 2010 at 14:19.
overboost! is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th June 2010, 17:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Druva,

Would recommend a brand new diesel midsize sedan for your requirement. Choices are like Fiesta, Linea, Verna, Manza etc.

With 5.5L budget for a slightly used sedan, options are less like Dzire , Logan, Indigo, Ikon TCDi, Accent Executive etc and if lucky some Fiesta petrols. City would be far from your budget since OHC still around 3-4L still. NHC again slightly used ones would demand 6L+.

Last edited by jacs : 24th June 2010 at 17:02.
Old 30th August 2011, 13:27   #24
BHPian

Re: Lateral Upgrade

a friend wrapped in the throes of confusion has queried me something which i obliviously have no idea about - saloon and second hand (add diesel and petrol)?

the question is between an diesel Elentra and Accord 2.4, both well maintaned, run about less than 50000 km and around 2005/2006
his budget is max 5 l and the elenta runs to a comfortable fit close to midway into his budget while the accord is just above his upper limit.

please suggest the better option considering he is not a car enthusiast and the only reason for this latest crush is - 'the big car bug'

which is the better buy assuming the other factor are neutral:
a) 'maintenance' wise
b) fuel efficiency does not matter (already owns 2 cars)
c) resale value (intends to keep but knowing the guy, i am sure he will use it for a year or two on the higher side)

he comes up with a lot of 'doubts' which i mostly ignore but this seemed to feel personal (i could use the tips and answers you guys provide to upgrade my garage too!!!! - Lateral Upgrade maybe!!!!)

Last edited by booboo : 30th August 2011 at 13:31. Reason: spell check
Old 7th October 2011, 14:27   #25
BHPian

Re: Lateral Upgrade

@druva: Congratulations on looking for an used car. Too many people start with used car idea and ultimately buy a new car. Please be prepared for a lot of hard work and patience if you want to buy an used car. Best wishes.

Personally I would only trust an used car from Honda or Toyota. Based on my used car buying experience, I feel there is no point in buying a used Honda City as they seem to be too expensive. You should be very very lucky to get a VFM City. In my opinion for a VFM used car you need to get to Civic/Corolla segment. While saying that, be a little conscious about venturing into Civic - You will have to live with a mileage of 8-9 kmpl in city driving conditions & an overall mileage of 10-10.5 kmpl (Assuming some city and some long drives). But as a car, Civic/Corolla are of high quality, utterly reliable, built to last and trouble free. You could easily own the car for 2 lakhs kilometers if you maintain it well.

Edit: I realized you gave up the used car option after posting. Anyway, good luck with your car purchace

Last edited by idofsuresh : 7th October 2011 at 14:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks