Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 16:27   #1
BHPian

Lateral Upgrade

Well folks, its time for me to upgrade from my Santro to something else.
After seeing GTO and Smartcat' acquisition of used cars, I am sold on used car. When I was in US, I drove an used Honda Civic. Absolutely trouble free vehicle. So an used Honda is ok with me. However, my family would like to explore new car only.
I have decided to search for both used and new cars for 2 months. Lets see who wins.

My requirements:
Family of 5. Mostly city travel and self driving.
I am planning to do more highway raids with my new car.
So it will be 750 km high way ride and 1500 km city ride per month.

What is important to me:
- Reliable, trouble free car. It will be the only car, I cant afford to spend time at workshops on niggles.
- VFM. I am ok to pay premium, if it gives quality and peace of mind.

Budget:
- upto 10 lakhs if new car {Since financing options are better in new car }
- upto 5.5 lakhs if used car

Used Vehicles
Honda City:
This is going to my prime used car choice. I cant trust Ford/ Tata used vehicles.
I checked the prices of Honda City based on Hindu Classifieds.
Mostly, I am getting 2006/ 2007 models with 40 to 60k mileage for 5.5 laks.

What other decent options are available?
I am thinking aboout Hyundai Elantra and Mitsubishi Lancers. Any other?
When it comes to used cars, I would like to have reliability as top criteria.

I dont want my wifey and parents "I told you so" looks.

In New Cars:
Honda City
Scorpio -- ok. its not a sedan. Myself and my twin sons would surely love an SUV, just for the macho feel.
Fiesta
Linea
Manza
SX4

I have included Tata and Ford in the new cars list, hoping that they will be less troublesome during the first 5 years.

So folks, pl guide me over the next two months.

My first round of hunting will be primarily based on used cars.
Is there any other choices I should be looking at?
Old 17th June 2010, 16:40   #2
BHPian

Since you have the budget and what looks to me from your requirment ultimately drills down to reliability and peace of mind, go for a new Honda City. The recommendation is purely from your 'needs' vs 'budget in hand' matrix, as you have the premium to dispose on the Honda.

If I were to be in your position I would pep up the budget a tad more and would have gone for the Cedia !
Old 17th June 2010, 16:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
So it will be 750 km high way ride and 1500 km city ride per month.
Running of 2250 kms per month - this kind of usage literally begs for a diesel car

Quote:
I cant trust Ford/ Tata used vehicles.
Whoa! that's some statement to make mate.. Do you have personal experience of owning and running Fords? if not, then please abstain from making blanket statements.

Anyway, coming back to your search of used cars which are reliable - please bear in mind you would be taking a calculated risk. This is because you would never know how the previous owner had (ab)used the vehicle. And when such usage might reflect in some internal going kaput. Not that I am dissuading you from a used car - just a reality check.

Now, the milage you are looking at used cars is pretty high. Which means in nearly 1.5 years of your purchase, vehicle would be touching 1 Lac kms on the odo - time for significant service costs. Additionally, at the miles you are looking on the odo, the tires in all probabilities would need a change (if not already changed by the seller).

Used Elantras would be available in the budget you have earmarked - but again, they would require immediate significant expense depending on the miles they have clocked.

My personal advise to you would be to go in for a new Manza - safe, reliable car with safety features and creature comforts. Importantly, it has diesel appetite ensuring your fuel bills are low each month.

Anyway, in order to avoid confusion and narrow down the choices, you first need to decide on the kind of fuel your purchase would be running on. All the best!
Old 17th June 2010, 17:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dude,

You need a diesel car. Here are mu picks:

1) NEW FIAT LINEA: Good car with undervalued reputation. Solid build. Nice 'cruiser' diesel. Tremendous fuel efficiency.

2) NEW ANHC: The best all rounder. Decent quality all round. You can't go wrong with a HONDA. Petrol bills though!

3) NEW UPCOMING VW VENTO: Should be a super car. 1.6TDI should your pick.

4) USED CIVIC: Best HONDA driving in India. Super interiors. Everything great. Petrol again.

Most other cars are ok but not great. I am not into bashing any other 'brands' or 'cars' but these cars not only are better but more aspirational as well.
Old 17th June 2010, 17:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
... go for a new Honda City..

..I would pep up the budget a tad more and would have gone for the Cedia !
Mate, the 10l is a stretched budget.
Yes, Honda City is on top list of both used/ new cars.
I will see if any good used Cedias are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Running of 2250 kms per month - this kind of usage literally begs for a diesel car
Point noted.

Quote:
Whoa! that's some statement to make mate.. Do you have personal experience of owning and running Fords? if not, then please abstain from making blanket statements.
It is based on experience with Ford Taurus at USA. I am ok with new Fords. But used ones, I am skeptical.
But yes, my statement to too blanket and definitely offensive on public forum. No intention to hurt Ford owners. My apologies.

Quote:
Anyway, coming back to your search of used cars which are reliable - please bear in mind you would be taking a calculated risk. This is because you would never know how the previous owner had (ab)used the vehicle. And when such usage might reflect in some internal going kaput. Not that I am dissuading you from a used car - just a reality check.

Now, the milage you are looking at used cars is pretty high. Which means in nearly 1.5 years of your purchase, vehicle would be touching 1 Lac kms on the odo - time for significant service costs. Additionally, at the miles you are looking on the odo, the tires in all probabilities would need a change (if not already changed by the seller).
Valid points. So I will look for near new used cars. Looks like I will have to rule out used Honda City with that mileage.

Quote:
My personal advise to you would be to go in for a new Manza - safe, reliable car with safety features and creature comforts. Importantly, it has diesel appetite ensuring your fuel bills are low each month.
Yes. This seems to be VFM package. If I think about new cars,for my budget, this is amongst top 3.

Quote:
Anyway, in order to avoid confusion and narrow down the choices, you first need to decide on the kind of fuel your purchase would be running on. All the best!
Thanks for suggestions.
Old 17th June 2010, 19:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Budget:
For used, add Toyota Corolla to the list. Your family would love it. Look for late 2005 or newer models.

Elantra CRDI is a good option, if you could find one.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:05   #7
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2010 at 09:57.
druva is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th June 2010, 11:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I will add these to my used car list... But the problem is, for my budget, the mileage is high. Hence I am not sure.
You should seriously look at linea as it suffices all your needs i.e.

A diesel - you'll be happy to drive any distance, read cheaper to drive.
Trouble free - 15K service interval is something which speaks of confidence in product by company itself.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:19   #9
BHPian

Missed 'Deal of the month'

2 weeks back, I started my used car hunt. The first classified that caught my eye was 2008 Honda City Zx with 4500 kms. Asking price was 7.10 l.

As the price was beyond my budget, I called up other ads. Nothing was really attractive. I was getting into the reality of used car prices. Then in afternoon, I called up this seller and fixed up timing to see the car.

Me and family went to see the car.. It was the 10th anniv edition with JBL audio system. The car was clean and blemishless.
I was floored. The service records showed were 3 free services and 1 paid service which was almost 1 year after the 3rd service. The insurance showed 30% NCB.

I was allowed a very small drive. The car was quiet ok and I was happy.

I was not sure about my financing. I really had to dig my heels for anything 4+.

I was also worried about the low mileage and wanted really to verify the accident history.

I told the seller my condition and said that I will take pay 4 lacks upfront and I will need additional 2 weeks for remaining 3 lacks . I also said, I can finalize the deal after I get it checked on Monday with a mechanic.

To my disappointment, on Monday, the seller told he had already sold for 6.82

In hindsight, I know that I missed 'Deal of the month' or even the year....
But then, it was my first week of search and I would have to steal the additional 2 lacks...

So here Iam, intact and still searching for my elusive ride...
Old 18th June 2010, 11:29   #10
BHPian

druva,

If I were planning 25k kms/year:
a) I would buy a new car: I would spend quite a bit of time in service pitstops with that kind of running and an old car with 50k on the odo already will not only drive up my bills significantly, it will also bring me the headache of several replacements (tires, clutch pads and what not) especially if the old owner did not maintain the car all that well. Also, I am guessing from your requirements that you plan on keeping the car for at least a few years and not be in the market again in 2 years time: which is what will happen almost surely if you go for an used car for you will hit 100k kms in no time.
b) I would buy a diesel: It'll truly be VFM with that running but if you are not a fan of the turbo lag that diesel's tend to have especially with your high city driving as well, then maybe a petrol fits your bill pretty well but please do consider diesels and TD a few of them.

BTW, my suggestion would be the Fiesta diesel/Linea diesel.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
2 weeks back, I started my used car hunt. The first classified that caught my eye was 2008 Honda City Zx with 4500 kms.
That odo sounds mighty suspicious to me!
Old 18th June 2010, 12:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

@dhruv

I would suggest you to go for a diesel sedan definitily looking at your kms running. You can look at Ford Fiesta 1.4 SXi Duratorq, within your budget, light on your pockets, good mileage comes with all bell and whistles (ABS, air bags, Alloys), great on handling, practicality and good service intervals. Gone are the days when Ford was known for bad A.S.S and spare parts, they are now at par with other brands maintenance costs.
take a test drive to verify.
Old 20th June 2010, 03:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@dhruv

I would suggest you to go for a diesel sedan definitily looking at your kms running. You can look at Ford Fiesta 1.4 SXi Duratorq, within your budget, light on your pockets, good mileage comes with all bell and whistles (ABS, air bags, Alloys), great on handling, practicality and good service intervals. Gone are the days when Ford was known for bad A.S.S and spare parts, they are now at par with other brands maintenance costs.
take a test drive to verify.

I will second this. The 1.4 engine, though not very powerful on paper, doesn't feel underpowered at all. It is also ultra reliable and ultra quiet (especially in the Fiesta with the hydraulic engine mounts).

However, if I might give a suggestion that might seem weird, I'd suggest that you decide whether it's going to be a used vehicle or a new one. Then:

a. Used - Fiesta TDCi, I don't think it makes sense to buy a new Fiesta 1.4, mainly because the same engine is in the Figo, iKon etc. (with different engine mounts) and I prefer the bigger car to have a more powerful engine (or the same with a different state of tune)

b. New - Linea 1.3MJD.

Good luck with the car hunt.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Budget:

Used Vehicles
Honda City:
This is going to my prime used car choice. I cant trust Ford/ Tata used vehicles.
I checked the prices of Honda City based on Hindu Classifieds.
Mostly, I am getting 2006/ 2007 models with 40 to 60k mileage for 5.5 laks.

What other decent options are available?
I am thinking aboout Hyundai Elantra and Mitsubishi Lancers. Any other?
When it comes to used cars, I would like to have reliability as top criteria.

I dont want my wifey and parents "I told you so" looks.

In New Cars:
Honda City
Scorpio -- ok. its not a sedan. Myself and my twin sons would surely love an SUV, just for the macho feel.
Fiesta
Linea
Manza
SX4
Fiesta can be discounted from this list, for one main reason - rear space. For 5 people with regular highway drives, the rear space could be a major issue. Linea too is not great in this department, but I would still keep Linea diesel in the list for its price and capabilities. Though you need to watch out if the GC is an issue for your requirement which is the same issue with the ANHC too.

If you like a high stance car with a supposedly macho feel, then why not move the SX4 higher in your list ?

Since your running is high, i would say it wont be a bad idea to consider the Innova too, its a very comfortable car.

If you are looking for a second hand car, I would stick to the previous gen Corolla or a low mileage and 2- 3 year old Optra Diesel which should be well within your budget. All the best.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:52   #15
BHPian

2250 Kms/month is a lot of driving around. My recommendations are defnitely a new Diesel.
Here is my list if you like it
1. Innova - Great for long journeys
2. Manza - A real big car and a true VFM
3. i20 CRDi? - Great Diesel car with all bells and wistles

Some gyan on ANHC since you listed #1 in both used and new list.

I personally own an ANHC, I must admit that it is indeed an all rounder. However if you are doing 1500 Kms in the City then expect a mileage of around 10-11 for MT in a typical B2B traffic (8-9 in worse). Some members have reported a mileage of 13 plus in Bangalore city. A good mileage depends on the style of driving as well.
However on the open roads it really excells, I constantly get a mileage of 17 during Highway driving.

So ANHC would be the last option in my recommendation list, since running-in costs are still not comparable to the Diesels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks