Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 06:59   #1
BHPian

Please advice on new Hyundai Verna Transform

Hi All,
I searched this forum, but could not really find which was specific to my need.
I already own a Swift Vxi (2007 model) and I am pretty sure that it was a real value for money. Now that it is almost 3 years, I am looking for a Sedan and my budget is 9 - 9.5L.
Since I don't have much options, I have narrowed down to Hyundai Verna CRDI SX (Manual Transmission).

I would like to ask the gurus - what I can expect more from this car compared to my old Swift. So that I can really think if it is worth buying this car.
For example, I have driven Swift in speed of 140kmph, but I some how get a feel that i cannot sustain that speed for a very long time. What about Verna CRDI? What is the maximum speed of it? and how stable it is at high speeds?

Please advice..

Thanks
qARS
Old 4th July 2010, 12:39   #2
BHPian

i have verna crdi and can easily attain speeds in excess of 165-175 BUT its not stable at those speeds and gets scary above 120 especially without airbags and with their new deform sorry transform its best avoided.Would sugest that you wait for VW Vento.
Old 4th July 2010, 12:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The Verna is not a driver's car like your current car the Swift. The Engine is very powerful and refined. The biggest disappointment in the car are the dynamics, Verna comes with a soft suspension setup which is good at low speeds but as the speeds rise this car gets extremely bouncy, avoid this car if ride at rear is important for you. The Soft setup also spoils the handling, Steering is overservoed too. To me the facelifted Transform looks UGLY.

I would suggest the Optra Magnum TCDi over Verna. The Magnum now comes with very good discounts meaning the pricing is in the range of Verna.
Old 4th July 2010, 12:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

@qAnand - Well, for starters you can expect:

1. A lot of savings . The Verna's city mileage does not go below 14 kmpl regardless of how you drive. Couple that with the lower cost of diesel.

2. Absolutely savage torque. The car has amazing pickup, and when you floor it in 2nd gear it will pin your head back on the headrest. Top speed is in the region of 195 kmph. I regularly do highway trips in my car, and it happily cruises at 120-140 kmph for hours. But 150 and above is a concern, as the car starts to feel unstable. Highest I've done is 175.

3. Peace of mind. My car has done 26K kms in less than 2 years, and except for a problematic right ORVM (which gets loose and rattles every 2 months) there have been no issues whatsoever. Not even a rattle on the plastics.

4. Cheap cost of spares. Pick up the latest Autocar India issue. It has a comparison of comparable bucket of spares in all car segments, and the Verna comes out cheapest in the category. Plus Hyundai service is as good as Maruti these days in terms of professionalism and uniformity of parts prices.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2010, 18:08   #5
BHPian

Thank you guys. Today i had a successful test drive of Hyundai Verna. Since the drive was within the city limits, I did enjoy its power/pickup, but immediately I noticed some issues. Rear seat cannot accommodate 3 people the way my swift does. Audio system looks good, but there is no controls on the steering. The steering wheel looks ugly, and again NO AIRBAGS!!!
I could not get comfortable with the cost and the features it has. So I decided to step out and went to Honda Showroom.
Honda City VMT (IVTEC), was amazing, i was fortunate enough to drive on highway at high speed (show room was located near the high way) and the car was quite stable, braking was great, additionally whatever were missing in Verna was available here.
So again, please advice if my decision to go with City is justifiable.

Thanks
qars
Old 4th July 2010, 22:47   #6
BHPian

honda city is a vfm option just now.you should go for it,i recomended my friend to it and he is very very happy with it.
Old 4th July 2010, 23:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

The City and Verna are beyond compare.

If budget (incl petrol v. diesel) is not an issue go with the City with your eyes shut. The Verna's age shows when compared to its competition. It will probably be replaced as well with an all new Verna in 18 months so at this stage of the car's life cycle I see little value.

City on the other hand is recently launched in terms of the generation so will be around for a bit as well.

If you can wait you may also want to check out the VW Vento.
Old 5th July 2010, 00:25   #8
BHPian

Driving ANHC was a real treat, only thing which I was not comfortable was the Horn. You have to reach the middle of the steering for that. In swift it was not difficult at all.
Moreover the tyre size (though they provide alloy wheels in the high end) appears to be very thin (175"). Infact I was using a 195" for my swift. Has anyone done a tyre change for their ANHC? Whats the feedback after changing it to a bigger tyre? Moreover I read about the complaints on the fabric quality, so is it advisable to change to leather?

Thanks again
qARS
Old 5th July 2010, 22:04   #9
BHPian

One more test drive today. Drove Linea Emotion (Diesel). Drive was great, did not notice the pickup/power issue as reported in the petrol variant. Braking was good too. Now I am confused, which one to choose, ANHC or Linea Diesel. I am getting a good price benefit in Linea compared to Diesel. Moreover the features available in Linea are not available. Bad part of linea is the steering, it is slightly tight compared to my good old swift. Is it the usual thing? The plastic quality in both these cars appears to be same. Linea appears to be sturdy compared to City.
Awaiting expert's advice.

Thanks
qARS
Old 6th July 2010, 00:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qAnand View Post
Now I am confused, which one to choose, ANHC or Linea Diesel. I am getting a good price benefit in Linea compared to Diesel. Moreover the features available in Linea are not available. Bad part of linea is the steering, it is slightly tight compared to my good old swift. Is it the usual thing? The plastic quality in both these cars appears to be same. Linea appears to be sturdy compared to City.
Welcome to the classic quandary... ping me if you find a solution

Linea has hydraulic power steering, so it feels heavier than electronic power steering.
Old 6th July 2010, 02:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qAnand View Post
One more test drive today. Drove Linea Emotion (Diesel). Drive was great, did not notice the pickup/power issue as reported in the petrol variant. Braking was good too. Now I am confused, which one to choose, ANHC or Linea Diesel. I am getting a good price benefit in Linea compared to Diesel. Moreover the features available in Linea are not available. Bad part of linea is the steering, it is slightly tight compared to my good old swift. Is it the usual thing? The plastic quality in both these cars appears to be same. Linea appears to be sturdy compared to City.
Awaiting expert's advice.

Thanks
qARS
I will recommend the Linea. The slightly "tighter" steering will seem like a blessing on those highway drives. The Linea is beyond comparison in terms of ride and handling in it's segment. It is also extremely good value for money.

While Honda service has more chance of being superior, the Linea's service might end up being cheaper. Also, judging by most reports on teambhp, Fiat has been very prompt in service related concerns for the Linea and the Punto.
Old 6th July 2010, 03:11   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I would like you to know that if you are open to used cars, the choice suddenly widens a LOT. and by used car's I mean 'fresh used cars'.

For eg: you may get a 1-2 yr old civic for that price of yours. Believe me, Civic, is a far better car than the ANHC/linea and it being a Honda 1 or 2 years is nothing.

You could opt for:

1.Civic
2.Skoda RS
3.Honda Accord
4.Octy 1.9
4.Laura P/D

I find great value in used cars, but then ultimately the choice is your bro, make a wise decision.

- D
Old 6th July 2010, 03:44   #13
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs. I heard that Steering in Honda City too is Hydraulic Powered (correct me if i am wrong).

One more advice required on Linea Diesel, the guy in the showroom says I need to start the engine daily and keep it started for 10 mins(even if I am not using), I did not understand the purpose behind it, he is trying to generalise that this needs to be done for any car. I have never done it for my Swift, it starts immediately when the key is turned on, even if I use the car after 2 - 3 months.
So is this requirement specific to fiat? What about Linea Braking (the car I am looking for has ABS option). The swift (without ABS) I am using has perfect Brakes and it has never let me down.

Dhanush - Thanks for your suggestion on used cars, but I was kind of looking for new cars only..

Regards,
qARS
Old 6th July 2010, 11:25   #14
VMG
BHPian

I suggest you test drive Cedia before you decide; I am sure you will love it.
it is beyond ANHC, Fiat and Verna.
Old 6th July 2010, 19:26   #15
BHPian

hi anand.
afaik,the steering on the city isn't hydraulic,however I can't confirm this.

you will find the steering on the linea much better than the swift one you get used to the car. the feedback and responsivness is leagues ahead.

the guy is probably out of his mind. no car requires this. I also have a punto diesel and face no such issues.

the swift has excellent brakes however don't compromise on ABS,it'll come in handy on a wet surface or if you have to swerve sharply while braking. don't compromise on this specially since you are going to use the car for highway drives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks