Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2005, 10:16   #31
BANNED

Aalaap, definitely go for the Lancer, since you love it so much. I don't spend 30k per annnum on maintaining mine, even though it's done over 120,000 kms.

But 2 lakhs is a bit optimistic. You'll end up with a 6-7 year old car. In this case, you might have to overhaul certain parts (brakes, suspension, clutch etc etc), which is normal in the life of the car, but that might cost you a bomb, as they keep adding up.

Also, watch out for flood damaged cars, because those are the ones most likely to fall into your budget.

Spend a bit more and buy a car that's in good shape. Eventually it will work out to be more cost effective.

Happy driving!
Old 11th November 2005, 17:25   #32
BHPian

Okay so from the general inference, 2L-2.5L won't fetch me a good Lancer, and 2.5L-3.0L I cannot afford. To be honest, even 2.5L would be on the higher side for me.

And I figured something - its really not just about getting a bigger car that this is all about. So even if I get an Esteem, I'll still feel the same way about it as I do with my current Zen. So why bother? I'll keep the Zen, there's nothing really wrong with it, other than some suspension issues and some body work.

Grrr.

- Aalaap
Old 11th November 2005, 20:56   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalaap
Okay so from the general inference, 2L-2.5L won't fetch me a good Lancer, and 2.5L-3.0L I cannot afford. To be honest, even 2.5L would be on the higher side for me.

And I figured something - its really not just about getting a bigger car that this is all about. So even if I get an Esteem, I'll still feel the same way about it as I do with my current Zen. So why bother? I'll keep the Zen, there's nothing really wrong with it, other than some suspension issues and some body work.

Grrr.

- Aalaap
hey aalap,

something to cheer u up...there is a 99/00 (not sure about the model yr) 45K done Lancer for sale in today's edition of timesdrive....the owner says its well maintained and has quoted a price of 2.5L(negotiable)...you can check it out !!! who knows you might just turn lucky...

~A
Old 11th November 2005, 23:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

99/00 model done only 45k??

aalaap, it might be just what the doctor ordered for u. Check its history. U might end up with ur dream car. U must try.
Old 12th November 2005, 00:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

maintaining a lacner is something you dont need to worry about.

yeah, some new spares maybe expensive.

I dunno if it is fine with you but you can take a 2.5-3.0 lac lancer on installements. So you wont have to deal with a huge downpayment and I am not sure but most of the good resalers have a 6 months warranty and service on the cars you buy from them. check it out.
Old 12th November 2005, 00:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Why not the Ikon ?

2000 Ikon 1.6 ZXI : 1.75
2001 Ikon 1.6 ZXI : 2.05
2002 Ikon 1.6 ZXI : 2.40-2.50

These are Mumbai approx prices
Old 14th November 2005, 21:14   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Aalaap,
i ave sent you the lancer guy's number.
The car is a 99 model GLXi with leather, new tyres, CD player done 40Kkm.
Makes more sense then the esteem.
Old 15th November 2005, 11:59   #38
BHPian

Okay, I was away for a while...

Quote:
something to cheer u up...there is a 99/00 (not sure about the model yr) 45K done Lancer for sale in today's edition of timesdrive....the owner says its well maintained and has quoted a price of 2.5L(negotiable)...you can check it out !!! who knows you might just turn lucky...
Thanks a lot, adityapd..

2.5L negotiable sounds pretty darn interesting. Assuming I can haggle and get 15-25k off, it sounds a pretty good deal for 45k km done. But guys, how do I actually check if its in good condition and not a flood waste?

And then again, I know some cars got totally wasted by the floods. They were beyond repair, and had to be scrapped. But if it IS possible to repair a certain flood damaged car, it was probably less affected, and in that case, is it possible that it may still be able to be repaired completely? Are those (fully) refurbished flood damaged vehicles (ok, Lancers!) still worth the (low) cost?

adityapd, do you have this copy of TD? Can you get me this guy's number? I can't seem to find the copy at my place :S

Lambo, I got the number .. i'll call this guy up soon. Thanks!

- Aalaap
Old 15th November 2005, 13:08   #39
BANNED

Aalaap, I strongly suggest you don't take a risk with flood damaged cars unless you have money to burn.

If you're already stretching your budget to pick up a car for 2-2.5, then I'm assuming you wouldn't want to spend more on fixing up the car if something goes wrong. Lancer isn't very expensive to maintain, relatively speaking, but it isn't cheap either.
Old 15th November 2005, 13:31   #40
BHPian

Guys,
Appreciate what you are doing here. One more to add
I need a white Lancer diesel 2000 - 2003.

I am looking for a good piece. I am not in a hurry.
Car can be from Bangalore or Chennai.

Any help would be great....

Thanks a ton
Old 15th November 2005, 14:23   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks
Guys,
Appreciate what you are doing here. One more to add
I need a white Lancer diesel 2000 - 2003.

I am looking for a good piece. I am not in a hurry.
Car can be from Bangalore or Chennai.

Any help would be great....

Thanks a ton
Dude there's a marketplace forum where you can post a requirement or whatever. This place is for discussion about what car to buy and why yes/not.

Click here for the marketplace forum.

- Aalaap
Old 17th November 2005, 09:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalaap
Okay, I was away for a while...

Thanks a lot, adityapd..

2.5L negotiable sounds pretty darn interesting. Assuming I can haggle and get 15-25k off, it sounds a pretty good deal for 45k km done. But guys, how do I actually check if its in good condition and not a flood waste?

- Aalaap
hey dude here are the complete details of the car from the Times Drive

Dec 99 silver color 40 K kms, leather seats, CD player, brand new tyres, 1 owner, Comprehensive Insurance, 2.5 L negotiable. 9820211933

....sounds too tempting to be true...especially with all the accessories, et al...do check it out and let us all know...

~A
Old 17th November 2005, 14:49   #43
BHPian

Hey

I called this dude up.. name's Vijay.. he's like some agent or something of that sort. Told me that this silver lancer has gone out of town and will be back in a couple of days. I'll check it out over the weekend, it's just in bandra so i can actually walk to that place lol.

He also said he's got another black one that's around 28k done, 2nd owner, bombay reg, comp insurance, cd playa blah blah, but that's 2.75 non negotiable. I know just 25 (or maybe 50k) more than the other silver one for these specs is very good, but then like I said, I'll probably only be able to afford 2L or 2.25L, so its kinda pretty much out of the question.

Now how do I check for any serious damage? Flood repairs? Anyone wanna join me to go check this one out over the weekend?

Lemme know.

- Aalaap
Old 17th November 2005, 16:12   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aalaap,

Here is Ajmats excellent thread onChecking for Flood Damage

GTO
Old 23rd November 2005, 04:44   #45
Senior - BHPian

So Alaap what is your current situation? where are you stuck with your purchase of your dream car??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks