Team-BHP - Lancer in 2L? Makes sense anymore?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Lancer in 2L? Makes sense anymore? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/8549-lancer-2l-makes-sense-anymore.html)

Hey people!

How have you all been? Its been a couple of years since I joined TBHP and I still don't have my Lancer, as you can tell!

Back then, I was looking at having to shell out around 3.5L for a 99/00 GLXi, but now, the prices have obviously dropped to around 2-2.5L. I'm still craving for it, and no other car is going to satisfy me, unless it offers some ridiculously great amount of value for money - like a 2002-2003 Ikon for 1.5 or 1.75 - now that sounds sweet! Does it?

At times, I even pondered over a used Esteem, hoping that I may be able to find one for just around 1-1.25L. Then, I can sell off my 98 Evo Z for around 1, and put just a bit extra and get a bigger car. That would be very cost effective - a new bigger car in just 25k !

Now, the Ikon prices have collapsed thanks to the agressive pricing of the brand new Flairs and the other entry-level Ikon variants, driving down the prices of the used cars even lower.

This fuels up a new war in the used car segment. What makes more sense? A 99 or 00 Lancer GLXi for 2L? Or a more recent Ikon for the same price? Or a cheap Esteem for 1.25L provided its in good shape? What do you recommend? I'm planning to pick up the new car without a loan because I'll be applying for a home loan in a few months, so I don't want the burden of two loans on me. The fact is, I can pump in a maximum of 75k after selling my 98 Zen (around 53k km done). So help me out here!

Thanks guys, and its good to be back!

- Aalaap

i d say pick up a newer esteem if you plan to use your car on a daily basis.

manson.

Well I generally use the car only on weekends, and very rarely once or twice during weekdays. I want the Lancer mainly for modding and pimpin' up, but if I can't afford to, then I can also do that to an Esteem just to quench my thirst. But I'd really like to do that to a Lancer!

- Aalaap

I would pick Lancer simply for its looks and chasis. People think it's dated, but to me, it still has the best looking rear. Put a spoiler and it is simply unbeatable. And if the other contestant is esteem, any day, I would pick a lancer.

hey aalaap

firstly welcome back man.haven seen you on the forum since ages.

if you really really want to modify it then go in for an esteem the only reason being once you buy its you ll have little money to modify but if you get the lancer you wont have any money at all.the best option according to me would be a good esteem.its reliable spares arent too expensive and easy to maintain.

Rev

Quote:

I would pick Lancer simply for its looks and chasis. People think it's dated, but to me, it still has the best looking rear. Put a spoiler and it is simply unbeatable. And if the other contestant is esteem, any day, I would pick a lancer.
Yeah, man. The Lancer is just it. No contest. Unless the price is like less than half, which doesn't really seem to be the case.

Quote:

if you really really want to modify it then go in for an esteem the only reason being once you buy its you ll have little money to modify but if you get the lancer you wont have any money at all.the best option according to me would be a good esteem.its reliable spares arent too expensive and easy to maintain.
Well I'll just pick up a stock GLXi right now, and soup it up later when I manage to save some more money. The 2L figure is exclusive of the modding and stuff. And with really inexpensive ways of going about doing things, I don't see it as a big problem!

:)

- Aalaap

Well, its possible to buy 7 year Lancer for 2L. At the same time consider the maintenance cost. Yearly maintenance would be crossing Rs 20 to 30k. Would you like to spend this much money on maintenance ?

Aalap, There is a subtle difference between which car will be more appropriate and which you will be happy with. I remember your posts ages back, and almost every topic was lancer related.

You will be most content with a Lancer. So be it. Just look around for the lowest mileage example you can get. There are tons of 1999 - 2000 year lancers on sale.

Welcome back.

GTO

Quote:

Well, its possible to buy 7 year Lancer for 2L. At the same time consider the maintenance cost. Yearly maintenance would be crossing Rs 20 to 30k. Would you like to spend this much money on maintenance ?
While 30k a year doesn't sound exhorbitant, I guess I could save up on that money. What other options are there? How much would I spend in a year on an Esteem or an Ikon? Assuming i buy one for 1.5L or 2L, respectively.

- Aalaap

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135
I would pick Lancer simply for its looks and chasis. People think it's dated, but to me, it still has the best looking rear. Put a spoiler and it is simply unbeatable.

I agree. I've always felt that the Lancer looked extremely elegant, especially viewed from the rear. The other sedan which always manages to get me to turn my head is the Type 2 Old Honda City. That has such a simple yet so elegant look.

No spoilers for me though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aalaap
While 30k a year doesn't sound exhorbitant, I guess I could save up on that money.

If I may ask, where did this 20K - 30K a year maintenance figure come from?

dude im not planning to buy one right now maybe next year or so but i am facing a similar dilema as you.

im wondering whether to get a lancer and mod it Or get an esteem with a 1.6 (most prob baleno) engine.still not sure it depends on a lot of factors.i feel if modifying is your main criteria then an esteem would be fine but if you plan to leave it stock which i doubt you do then get a lancer simply for its looks.

Rev

Of course, when I say I want a Lancer in 2L, I mean I'll look for one that's well maintained and has been used relatively less. I guess 45-50k km has to be the cut-off for me. I once saw a white GLXi that had done 88k km LOL.

- Aalaap

Quote:

If I may ask, where did this 20K - 30K a year maintenance figure come from?
prkothan's post that said ...

Quote:

I guess its just an approximate figure, but I believe it should be close to the real one. Anyone agree/disagree on this?

- Aalaap

Quote:

Originally Posted by aalaap
Well I generally use the car only on weekends, and very rarely once or twice during weekdays. I want the Lancer mainly for modding and pimpin' up, but if I can't afford to, then I can also do that to an Esteem just to quench my thirst. But I'd really like to do that to a Lancer!

- Aalaap

Just in case you buy a Lancer and it starts giving you problems .. just in case mind you .. it'll be a lot more expensive to maintain.
I am saying this since at 2L you will get a 6 year old car .. and as you have mentioned you do not want to be burdened too much financially.

An esteem at 1.25 to 1.5L would be newer, and cheaper to maintain.