Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

AT versus Diesel

The topic probably sounds silly but it captures my dilemma perfectly.

I am planning my next auto purchase around middle of next year by which time my Swift Vxi will be around 65,000 km old and ready to be shunted into second car role. Some time ago, I swore that I would buy something that was the EXACT opposite of what my current car is.

Meaning:
- a sedan instead of a hatch
- an AT instead of manual
- a diesel instead of petrol
- with alloy wheels instead of without
- a USB-powered ICE instead of a CD player
- Pale/bright coloured instead of dark, etc. etc.

You get the picture. Not that I don't love my Swift but since am planning to keep it anyway, would prefer something that complements it nicely.

So, a few months ago I'd almost decided on a Honda City AT when VW announced they are launching a sedan variant of the Polo. As details trickle in, it's becoming increasingly obvious that the VW Vento will be a worthy alternative to the AHNC. The diesel train is an added bonus. But then VW had to go break my heart by announcing that the 6-speed AT would be mated only to the petrol, not to the diesel. Which brings me to my question:

Should I go with the petrol AT Vento instead of the diesel MT Vento? Corollary: if I am going for petrol anyway, should I go for the AHNC AT instead?

Some more information that may help:
- I am a diehard petrolhead and have not even considered a diesel in my earlier purchases. But one becomes more open-minded as the years advance (and petrol prices escalate).
- I love ATs. Bumper to bumper from Dadar to Panvel last night, I was missing one sorely. Overall I think that would mean more to me than a diesel.
- Honda seems like a "sensible choice"- my friends with AHNCs (MT) swear by them. But I do love the Vento's look and German marques rate higher on my list than Japanese ones.
- A.S.S is very important. I was spoiled silly by Hyundai so much that even Maruti's service levels seem inadequate to me these days. I can certainly do without the horror stories that Skoda owners talk about (no idea how VW is, Honda isn't that great either is what I hear).

Can the veterans on this forum help . We should be getting pricing details on the Vento soon enough which could make my job either very easy or very difficult!

Thanks
-Noops
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

You have answered it yourself!
Quote:
love ATs. Bumper to bumper from Dadar to Panvel last night, I was missing one sorely. Overall I think that would mean more to me than a diesel.
Quote:
Honda seems like a "sensible choice"- my friends with AHNCs (MT) swear by them. But I do love the Vento's look and German marques rate higher on my list than Japanese ones.
Get the Vento. While the Honda may be more revv friendly, the Vento will have a better ride/handling package, and much better interiors!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:04   #3
BHPian

What is wrong with the new Verna? Diesel + AT
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

@noopster: You never told what is your expected annual running?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
The looks, probably
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:05   #5
Team-BHP Support

If you can afford it then I'd say sacrifice on Diesel and go for AT any day.

Vento v. City is personal but I guess we should also wait for the Vento to release so the comparison is informed in all respects.
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
You have answered it yourself!

Get the Vento. While the Honda may be more revv friendly, the Vento will have a better ride/handling package, and much better interiors!
Sometimes posting on TBHP is like tosssing a coin, you know what you're wishing for when the coin is spinning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
I honestly don't know. But I personally think the Verna is plug-ugly (am a former Accent owner and that was a sweet looker!) Also the boot space of Verna seems inadequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
@noopster: You never told what is your expected annual running?!!
I drive about 30 km daily, with weekend running of about 150 km average. Toss in a coupla longish roadtrips a year and that's what? 20,000 km/year average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
If you can afford it then I'd say sacrifice on Diesel and go for AT any day.
Vento v. City is personal but I guess we should also wait for the Vento to release so the comparison is informed in all respects.
Yup- I think that's pretty much the way to go now. Thanks all!
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...users-155.html

OK now I'm scared

This is the same VW that owns Skoda, right? So why should I expect their after-sales to be any different from Skoda's? Do we have any evidence to the contrary?
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

noopster: Avoid the Verna. It is an outdated design, with poor interiors and chassis. It doesn't even come with airbags, a big no-no for the stonker of an engine it has.

Also, since you plan on buying the car after a year, there might be another few cars coming your way such as the new Fiesta also. Also, by then, there would be some reviews up about VW's dealers. Though do keep in mind that the spares and service costs will be much higher than the City's.

What about pre-owned cars? A used Civic A/T?
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...users-155.html

OK now I'm scared

This is the same VW that owns Skoda, right? So why should I expect their after-sales to be any different from Skoda's? Do we have any evidence to the contrary?

That was my reaction when I saw your post. I do not know how good or bad VW service is, but by the time Vento is out you should be having a fair idea what with many Polos going in for service. I also heard that the higher end VWs have their electricals as their Achilles' heel.

I guess for your running a Diesel is the economical option. But if you like AT, then either go with City AT or swallow up and get a Verna Diesel AT
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:53   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm...guess i just wait then. Hopefully a couple more automatics gets launched in the C segment this year.
Old 14th August 2010, 23:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

What about pre-owned cars? A used Civic A/T?
I like the Civic but with the ANHC A/T priced so much more sensibly, that kinda rules itself out. Plus, when I'm spending this kinda money, want it to be a new car. The Swift I'm driving now was bought used- I wanted to wait and buy a "proper" car but needed something quick and dirty for 3-4 lac when I returned from abroad last year.

I am pretty sold on the Vento AT (refer my posts on the Vento launched for 6.99 lakh thread). But will definitely TD both Vento and ANHC AT for my own satisfaction before making the decision.
Old 15th August 2010, 20:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I like the Civic but with the ANHC A/T priced so much more sensibly, that kinda rules itself out. Plus, when I'm spending this kinda money, want it to be a new car. The Swift I'm driving now was bought used- I wanted to wait and buy a "proper" car but needed something quick and dirty for 3-4 lac when I returned from abroad last year.

I am pretty sold on the Vento AT (refer my posts on the Vento launched for 6.99 lakh thread). But will definitely TD both Vento and ANHC AT for my own satisfaction before making the decision.
Vento AT has less mileage than the City.

The decision probably is btw Vento Diesel and City AT.

City AT:
+ves
Comfort
A.S.S.
Tried and Tested product
-ves
No climate control
Expensive

Vento Diesel:
+ves
Economy (2.50 rs per km vs 4.5 rs per km on City)
Torque King
-ves
A.S.S. ???? Unknown
Resale ???? Unknown
Music Quality not on par with City
No steering mounted audio
No automatic in Diesel (down on comfort) and petrol automatic is less frugal and lazy

What would be your pick?
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2010, 17:43   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Meaning:
- a sedan instead of a hatch
- an AT instead of manual
- a diesel instead of petrol
- with alloy wheels instead of without
- a USB-powered ICE instead of a CD player
- Pale/bright coloured instead of dark, etc. etc.
Want to have your cake and eat it too? How about a used AT Civic / Altis? Space & quality from a segment above, for 7 - 8 lakh rupees.

Please look up the many used Civic / Corolla threads (including mine).
Old 16th August 2010, 18:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please look up the many used Civic / Corolla threads (including mine).
You mean this beauty? That is one awesome post (not to mention deal!)

But I think I'll stick to a new car.

Or will I?
Old 18th August 2010, 23:18   #15
BHPian

Buy a Verna Transform SX CRDI VGT AT. It gives u diesel, it gives u AT and it gives u good service. With the vento having been released just recently, i think you can push the guys at Hyundai to give u a good deal

else

1. check the used market for a Laura 1.9 PD DSG, it should meet all your needs except for the service reputation
2. Go the GTO way and get a pre worshipped civic / altis AT

Last edited by acidkill : 18th August 2010 at 23:20.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks