Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2010, 11:40   #1
BHPian

13-14L Budget, Which sedan for rear seat comfort?

Posting this on behalf of my friend.

My friend is looking for a car in the 13-14L budget, with primary criteria being rear seat comfort. This will primarily be chauffeur driven and his current drive is causing him back pain due to the pothole-ridden roads in Bombay. Hence rear seat comfort is of utmost importance.

Since this will be a company-owned/company-maintained car, am assuming resale value, maintenance etc would be slightly lower priority. Daily running is around 70-80km and he is open to both petrol/diesel options.

Any recommendations?
Old 8th August 2010, 11:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

Altis Diesel. Look no further. Fits to your friend like a T.
Old 8th August 2010, 11:45   #3
BHPian

Innova or Safari seems to be the way to go . If its a saloon that he's after , Altis is a good choice or he can save a bit and just go for the ANHC. If he doesnt mind 2nd hand, then maybe CR-V, Accord and Laura may be looked into.

Remember the above suggestions are based purely on the requirement of rear seat comfort and NO other factor.
Old 8th August 2010, 12:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

13~14 lakhs Sedan + comfortable rear seat = Altis diesel or petrol.
Old 8th August 2010, 12:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Innova or Safari seems to be the way to go . If its a saloon that he's after , Altis is a good choice or he can save a bit and just go for the ANHC. If he doesnt mind 2nd hand, then maybe CR-V, Accord and Laura may be looked into.

Remember the above suggestions are based purely on the requirement of rear seat comfort and NO other factor.
Any petrol version I think should be a NO, as he is looking for almost 80Km a day!
Old 8th August 2010, 12:24   #6
BHPian

The Corolla Altis Diesel.
The best option. Comfort + Excellent Ride quality + Amazing Mileage.
Old 8th August 2010, 12:32   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the prompt replies.

My friend actually test drove the Altis Diesel, but wasn't completely satisfied. Not sure why. Can ask him for reasons and can ask him to take a TD again.

Further, the petrol option is not entirely ruled out since it would be company owned/maintained. The SUV/MUV option was something he may have missed out all together, so thats a useful option.

I cannot help much on this since I am a hardcore hatchback person, and probably with my limited knowledge actually asked him to TD a Fiat Linea. Specially with the T-Jet version slated for release shortly. He currently drives a NHC, so not an upgrade really. Probably not a wise suggestion

How does the VW Jetta or the Skoda Laura fare in comparison?

Last edited by sachinayak : 8th August 2010 at 12:33.
Old 8th August 2010, 12:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Thanks for the prompt replies.

My friend actually test drove the Altis Diesel, but wasn't completely satisfied. Not sure why. Can ask him for reasons and can ask him to take a TD again.

Further, the petrol option is not entirely ruled out since it would be company owned/maintained. The SUV/MUV option was something he may have missed out all together, so thats a useful option.

I cannot help much on this since I am a hardcore hatchback person, and probably with my limited knowledge actually asked him to TD a Fiat Linea. Specially with the T-Jet version slated for release shortly. He currently drives a NHC, so not an upgrade really. Probably not a wise suggestion

How does the VW Jetta or the Skoda Laura fare in comparison?
Well, since he is looking for rear-seat comfort, he should rather take TR (Test Ride) rather than TD. Altis both petrol and diesel, is not a very interesting car to drive. I dont think there is much choice other than Altis in that price range. Cruze may be another option he can consider.
Old 8th August 2010, 12:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

You can check out the Cruze as well. The back seat comfort is quite nice and it rides quite well and absorbs pot holes quite nicely.

But, if you havent liked an Altis which is supposed to be the best in back-seat, i doubt your friend may like it. But, no harm is trying it out.
Old 8th August 2010, 12:50   #10
BHPian

Check out the Sonata Transform. I sat in one the other day and it was no less than a sofa. Hyundai also has good A.S.S but you would get a high resale value.
Old 8th August 2010, 13:00   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Innova with captain seats. The Skoda & VW are cramped at the back and have stiffer suspensions, if a sedan is needed then Altis.
Old 8th August 2010, 13:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Well, since he is looking for rear-seat comfort, he should rather take TR (Test Ride) rather than TD. Altis both petrol and diesel, is not a very interesting car to drive. I dont think there is much choice other than Altis in that price range. Cruze may be another option he can consider.
^^+1 to that.

In your OP title your friend is looking for Rear seat comfort and then you say he is not satisfied with the test "DRIVE'.

Please consult your friend again and repost as to what is his actual priority rear seat RIDE comfort or front seat DRIVE-ABILITY.
Old 8th August 2010, 13:04   #13
BHPian

My bad. I actually meant a Test Ride and not a Test Drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
^^+1 to that.

In your OP title your friend is looking for Rear seat comfort and then you say he is not satisfied with the test "DRIVE'.

Please consult your friend again and repost as to what is his actual priority rear seat RIDE comfort or front seat DRIVE-ABILITY.
Old 8th August 2010, 13:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

In that case I think Sonata may be the only other option in that price range. It is not a very popular car but the rear seat is deep, wide and has the right amount of cushion.

While a cousin of mine did buy an Innova recently with Captain seats in the middle row I personally am not a big fan of these MPVs when it comes to ride comfort. I feel they jump a lot more than any given sedan.

Before I close I would strongly recommend the Jetta, Some find it cramped at the back as its rear seat is designed to carry two people very comfortably and not three with some adjustment ala the Altis. Besides the materials used are several notches better than the Corolla, it is a classy place to be in if you are being driven, do give it a shot.
Old 8th August 2010, 19:52   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The Sonata is definitely over 13-14L.
In that price range, the best bet would be the Altis Petrol or Diesel, if he wants new. If he doesn't mine pre-owned, he can also look at used Accords.

Most Viewed