Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Googleman,

Well, this is interesting.
I was not aware of this.
Will check with my insurance guy.

Regards,

SS
Well I even read it somewhere in T-BHP.

A guy who had a 10-12 year old Lancer did not have comprehensive Insurance because of the same reason.

Please check with your insurance guy and update me too.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:15   #32
BHPian

@ Suzuki San,

I went down a similar route last year , bought a mid 2003 VTEC for 2.9 lacs, a bit pricey, but the car had run only 35,000 kms in 6 years and was in very good condition, Mumbai car but lived in Pune ( wealthy man's 3rd car for his Pune home basically ) , the car had complete service history and was serviced at HASS regularly.

Now, immediate costs you are looking at are

1. New tyres - 13 to 15K - set of 4
2. Underbody and other rust treatment - Mumbai car so - 2 to 4 K
3. A New battery if not changed - 3.5 K
4. A full service with new oil - 2 to 3 K
5. O-2 sensor if not changed will give away soon - 3 to 17 K depending on where you buy from
6. Suspension components may need replacement - rubber bushings and all - u will have to get this checked out
7. ICE - skys the limit -i took my sub out , as i felt it made the rear end heavy with a 10 plus KG sub box in it all the time.
8. You may want to spend a little money getting the interior steam cleaned.

Regards
Old 18th August 2010, 23:13   #33
BHPian

Hi Suzuki San,

2000 Model of a car that used to have a sticker price of 9.75 Lakhs and having run 58000 KM??

In my opinion you should make an offer of ~ 2 L for the car. I think most dealers will not offer more than 1.75 L. If you really like the ICE of the car and you trust your friends ability to have maintained the car.. you should at best stretch to 2.25 L if the 60000 KM service can be footed by your friend.
Old 19th August 2010, 08:52   #34
BHPian

I don't think it is possible that a car has run only 58K in 10 years. Only if there is a 2nd car also.
Old 19th August 2010, 13:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
I don't think it is possible that a car has run only 58K in 10 years. Only if there is a 2nd car also.
Hi Googleman,

Yes. There was a second car. In fact this one has hardly been driven the last three years.

Regards,

SS
Old 19th August 2010, 13:12   #36
BHPian

Hi Guys,

After all the advice given below, I have decided NOT to go for the City after all. I tried some discreet bargaining which did not work so I have now given up on it. I have told him that if he sells through a dealer to let me know what price he gets and if it is in the 2.0 - 2.2 region then I am willing to go for it. The fact that insurance does not cover a 10 year old car is also another concern. I was not aware of this, so thanks for that info.

Guess it's back to looking for a good low mileage SX4 Zxi. Does such an animal exist???

Thanks once again for all the inputs.

Kind Regards,

SS
Old 19th August 2010, 13:18   #37
BHPian

Quote:
The fact that insurance does not cover a 10 year old car is also another concern.
Don't be so sure bro. I said that I read it somewhere, it's not confirmed. You should confirm it from a professional in this field.
Old 19th August 2010, 13:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Well I even read it somewhere in T-BHP.

A guy who had a 10-12 year old Lancer did not have comprehensive Insurance because of the same reason.

Please check with your insurance guy and update me too.

Googleman,

According to my insurance guy, New India Assurance and Oriental Insurance will NOT do comprehensive insurance on cars more than 10 years old. Other private companies do but he was not sure which ones as no one has asked him this question before!!!
I am still waiting for more info from him on this.

Regards,

SS
Old 19th August 2010, 13:42   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Googleman,

According to my insurance guy, New India Assurance and Oriental Insurance will NOT do comprehensive insurance on cars more than 10 years old. Other private companies do but he was not sure which ones as no one has asked him this question before!!!
I am still waiting for more info from him on this.

Regards,

SS
Great. So what I read was exactly correct.

Also if the private insurance bodies insure the vehicle above 10 years, the depreciation will be a lot and at the end of the year, you will end up paying more premium than the claims which were covered.
Old 20th August 2010, 16:57   #40
BHPian

You made the right choice, don't ever get tempted to buy a car which is more than 10yrs old and done more than 60-70k km, until and unless its just a fantasy you just wanna lay your hands on, but not use it.

Its very difficult to maintain a car which is more than 10yrs. You will understand only if you own a 10yr old car and then a brand new car. You will realize how your visits to a mechanic shop had become just twice a yr deal compared to the every month/ week visit with a 10yr old car.
If you are not bothered by few extra noise, rusting, scratches, dirt and purely gonna squeeze the last blood and trash the machine for nothing at the end of another 2-3yrs without putting in any money on it, may be you can think about it.

Point is no one every should buy a 10yr old car which is done more than 60-70k K.M. just because it comes cheap. I believe so.
Old 20th August 2010, 20:12   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
You made the right choice, don't ever get tempted to buy a car which is more than 10yrs old and done more than 60-70k km, until and unless its just a fantasy you just wanna lay your hands on, but not use it.

Its very difficult to maintain a car which is more than 10yrs. You will understand only if you own a 10yr old car and then a brand new car. You will realize how your visits to a mechanic shop had become just twice a yr deal compared to the every month/ week visit with a 10yr old car.
If you are not bothered by few extra noise, rusting, scratches, dirt and purely gonna squeeze the last blood and trash the machine for nothing at the end of another 2-3yrs without putting in any money on it, may be you can think about it.

Point is no one every should buy a 10yr old car which is done more than 60-70k K.M. just because it comes cheap. I believe so.

Hi Visaster,

You are absolutely right.
It was the thought of the regular trips to the local garage that changed my mind especially as I am the sort of person who cannot bear to see scratches etc. on the car.
Also, the final deciding factor was the price - It was NOT cheap!!!!

SS
Old 21st August 2010, 01:54   #42
BHPian

if u are really looking for a good car on the cheap, i would suggest a well run Skoda Octavia vRS. You could source on fore 4 - 4.5 L if you are lucky. If your budget is about 2-2.5, i would suggest you get a low mileage but 7 + Year old City, Esteem or Baleno and do it up
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:22   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
if u are really looking for a good car on the cheap, i would suggest a well run Skoda Octavia vRS. You could source on fore 4 - 4.5 L if you are lucky. If your budget is about 2-2.5, i would suggest you get a low mileage but 7 + Year old City, Esteem or Baleno and do it up
Let me know where will he get a 7 year old City, Esteem and Baleno in "good" condition in 2-2.5L.

Sound too good to be true. For a fact I know this is hardly possible. He will have to keep his search on for years.
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have been offered an old Honda City Vtec (the original one) which is a first owner car and has run 58,000 genuine Kms. It belongs to a friend of mine who has finally decided to sell. I have been after him for years to sell it but he would not part with it before. The car is 10 years old. The tyres are original. I know the car as I see it on a regular basis. His asking price is 2.8L. I need to know if this is a fair price and more importantly are spare parts available for this car. Also, is there anything specific I need to look out for before buying? I know GTO had one of these cars and I would be really grateful for any advice from him or anyone else who owns or has owned a Vtec.

Regards,

SS
Ummm, I have 2001 Vtec, done around 75K Km.
I would expect atleast 2 lacs (more or less), why don't you check the valuation at carwale.com
the issue areas are:
1. O2 sensor - affects the fuel consumption and power delivery across the RPMs
2. Suspension - usually gives away by 60-70000 KM
3. Steering rack - get this also checked
4. Under body - especially exhaust

Spare parts - no issues - but remember the spares will be priced according to the MRP of the car - 10 lacs.
So don't expect spares to be priced at par with Alto.

Last edited by alpha1 : 23rd August 2010 at 12:58.
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:40   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Ummm, I have 2001 Vtec, done around 75K Km.
I would expect atleast 2 lacs (more or less), why don't you check the valuation at carwale.com
the issue areas are:
1. O2 sensor - affects the fuel consumption and power delivery across the RPMs
2. Suspension - usually gives away by 60-70000 KM
3. Steering rack - get this also checked
4. Under body - especially exhaust

Spare parts - no issues - but remember the spares will be priced according to the MRP of the car - 10 lacs.
So don't expect spares to be priced at par with Alto.
A bit but our avatars resemble the same thing?

@Topic -
2. Suspension - 50-70KM is too early if the car is driven on "roads". For Mumbai roads, it can easily last 110000 KMs. Specially cars like HONDA.
4. Even if exhaust is completely worn out, it won't cost him much for repair. New one would matter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks