Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 21:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which state for registration of new car

(mods using this thread instead of starting a new one)
Hello guys,

A colleague/friend of mine is purchasing a new car.He currently lives in Pune but travels to Navi Mumbai (airoli) where he actually lives every weekend to his home.Now the question is whether to register the car in Pune where he works or register the car in Mumbai where he lives.The car will remain with him in Pune and not at mumbai.

If he opts to register the car in Mumbai then how long can he use same in Pune without facing harrasment from cops.Since state is same will there be a issue?

thanks guys

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 5th September 2012 at 21:52.
Old 5th September 2012, 22:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a Pune-registered car in Mumbai

Hi ,(sorry for hijacking this thread)

My friend works in pune but has a permanent address at Navi Mumbai.He wants to buy a new car.Should he register in mumbai or Pune ? If in Mumbai would he be able to drive the car in pune without facing harassment from cops etc?What is the legal and right was to deal with this situation ?

thanks all
Old 5th September 2012, 23:03   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

My friend works in pune but has a permanent address at Navi Mumbai.He wants to buy a new car.Should he register in mumbai or Pune ? If in Mumbai would he be able to drive the car in pune without facing harassment from cops etc?What is the legal and right was to deal with this situation ?

thanks all
I don't think MH plates are harrased inside Maharashtra irrespective of which part of MH they are registered in. I am driving a MH12 car for the last 2 years in Bombay full time. I have never once been asked as to why your plates are MH12. Even once when I told a cop who had stopped me that I live in the building right opposite where he made me stop.

In the first few months, I kept current electricity bills from my Pune address as proof that I have a Pune address. Now I don't even do that. If your friend is really worried, he can probably do that - keep a reasonably current electricity bill from his Bombay address with him in the car.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 08:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should he register in mumbai or Pune ? If in Mumbai would he be able to drive the car in pune without facing harassment from cops etc?What is the legal and right was to deal with this situation ?
IMO the car should be Navi Mumbai registered unless there is a windfall in terms of the price difference or he does have an alternate Pune address. As Carboy said it, there would not be any stoppage from Police for using a MH registered car anywhere in Maharashtra.
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 14:37   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Actually lots of people register outside Mumbai to avoid octroi. But since Pune also has octroi, there should be no significant difference in price (I think).

You know what, since your friend lives in Navi Mumbai, he should get his car registered there. Proof of address should not be a big issue I think.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 18:39   #21
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

thanks all
Depends on where in Navi Mumbai. Places like Vashi have octroi very similar to what we pay in Mumbai, Thane and Pune.

If it is Kharghar or beyond, there is no Octroi and in that case it would make sense.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 08:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
If it is Kharghar or beyond, there is no Octroi and in that case it would make sense.
I am not too sure about this. AFAIK there is no octroi for Navi Mumbai only a cess of 2% is applicable. Thats the reason most of the vehicles found in Thane and Mumbai are MH43 registered. The cars registered in Navi Mumbai are still 2.5% cheaper than in Thane & Mumbai.
Old 22nd September 2012, 07:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(mods using this thread instead of starting a new one)
Hello guys,

A colleague/friend of mine is purchasing a new car.He currently lives in Pune but travels to Navi Mumbai (airoli) where he actually lives every weekend to his home.Now the question is whether to register the car in Pune where he works or register the car in Mumbai where he lives.The car will remain with him in Pune and not at mumbai.

If he opts to register the car in Mumbai then how long can he use same in Pune without facing harrasment from cops.Since state is same will there be a issue?

thanks guys
Here in Karnataka there are no major issues with this. In Bangalore you see cars from all over Karnataka and the cops generally don't hassle you too much. Bombay and Pune should be pretty much the same. I say go for whatever is convenient for your friend.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:18   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Logically, the car is registered at the RTO where the home address should be. This is for individuals. If he was buying car in the name of the company, then Pune address.

Only point is - registration charges in Mumbai should be higher than in Pune due to Octroi.

Having said that, both Mumbai & Pune are in MH, and there should never be a problem in using it anywhere between these two cities. The problems are typically when one registers in one state, but uses it in a different state for prolonged periods - which is not so in this case.
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Having said that, both Mumbai & Pune are in MH, and there should never be a problem in using it anywhere between these two cities. The problems are typically when one registers in one state, but uses it in a
different state for prolonged periods - which is not so in this case.
Ironically this is not the case when you frequently travel Mumbai having registration number from other parts of Maharashtra. Mumbai cops are ruthless catching vehicles having registration number from other districts of MH, due to octroi and other taxes added in Mumbai.

This happened to my brother who took his two wheeler from Nagpur to Mumbai and ultimately he had to change the registration number, even Nagpur and Mumbai are in same state.

In Karnataka, it is not such case. In Bangalore I can see cars from all over state.
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:48   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Ironically this is not the case when you frequently travel Mumbai having registration number from other parts of Maharashtra. Mumbai cops are ruthless catching vehicles having registration number from other districts of MH, due to octroi and other taxes added in Mumbai.
I bought my car in Pune and then moved to Bombay after a few years. I am have been driving a MH12 car for the last 2.5 years. Not once have been stopped for this. Nor have I been asked about this when I have been stopped for other reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Only point is - registration charges in Mumbai should be higher than in Pune due to Octroi.
Both Pune and Bombay have octroi. Actually, I think may be Pune Octroi is higher than Bombay.

Only 2 places in the world which haven't abolished Octroi - Ethiopia and Maharashtra.

Last edited by carboy : 22nd September 2012 at 09:53.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks