Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2005, 10:00   #1
BHPian

Hi Everyone, moving to India need help

Hello All,
I have been in US for six years and finally moving back to India. It seems new bee can't post in 'What Car' section so Iam asking for your advise. I last track of all things of India and found this forum through google and really surprised to see the reviews/pics. You guys are amazing.. Anyway, Back to the topic: I currently drive Acura Integra sports coupe in US and researching for new car in India. It seems Honda City released new model Zx, just based on reputation of Honda Iam thinking about it. What you guys suggest me, my budget is around 7L.
Thanks in Advance.
-Niv
Old 21st November 2005, 10:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

The New Honda City (NHC, as we call it here) will be distinctly unIntegra like. It will be reliable, sure, but you wont get that rewarding driving experience, especially with that iDSi variant, which falls under 7L. The newly launched Ford Fiesta would be a better option, IMHO.
Check out GTOs test drive report of the same.
Old 21st November 2005, 15:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey bro,
welcome abaord and enjoy your stay here.
I think you should check out a Ford Fiesta 1.4/1.6 Petrol out with ABS/EBD.
Old 21st November 2005, 15:58   #4
Team-BHP Support

Welcome niv26.
Considering what you drive in the US, you will find most stuff for your budget to be extremely slow
Anyways for your budget I have listed the models available with approx ex showroom prices(Add 50-90K for on road price)
As for your options the Honda City Zx Vtec is around 8+, for 7-7.5 you should get 77bhp city
Ford fiesta 100bhp(1.6ltr) is 6.8
Maruti Baleno(This forums enthusiast fav) is 6L
Chevy Optra (1.6/1.8) goes from 7-10L (Its the fav for those who want luxury)
The dark horse, Hyundai elantra is around 8L(After discounts) and most powerful of the lot(127bhp) with lots of goodies. But thanks to its ugly looks and hyundai image of a C segment player, this does not sell much, even though most auto magazines have given it the VFM award

As for reputations of manufacturers, things are a lot different in India. So you may want to broaden your scope

Last edited by tsk1979 : 21st November 2005 at 16:01.
Old 21st November 2005, 18:09   #5
BHPian

Welcome back to India ..
which place will you be moving to in India ( this question has absolutely no connection to the main topic but just for curiosity sake i asked )
for the budget you have you can look at HondaCity, Ford Fiesta, Chevrolet Optra, Hyundai AccentCRDI, Toyota Corolla ..
All this cars are good
Old 21st November 2005, 18:16   #6
BHPian

May be you will like to have a look at the Safari Dicor too just in case you don't mind looking at something different too....
Old 22nd November 2005, 03:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dude, I dunno the reasons for your going back but I am waiting for that golden oppotunity too. I find India to be a heaven which I was a fool to leave. I swear that lifes best in India. east or West India is the best. Congrats on returning back.

cars in 7lacs.

chevrolet optra 1.6:- good buy and value for money. you get lots of kit and biggers size. brand certainly not as powerful)

palio 1.6 sport :- complete thumbs down on the brand but you wont resent your acura here. petra is the sedan for your family and adventure sport if you like lond trips.

fod fiesta:- Ikon1.6 certainly is magic but fiesta is better value for money. Is the newest car currently and look like it's here to stay for a long time.

honda city:- I personally wouldnt pay a premium Honda commands in India but NHC is comfortable and gives good mileage. May fall on the higher side of 7 though.

maruti swift:- the fuly loaded hot hatch thats driving the Indian market so swiftly. Just one word good car with adequate power and good safety features.

maruti baleno: auto a/c 94blazingly fast bhp's good FE and comfortable with that maruti name on the bonnet. looks are too old now and is not as strong as a lancer or a NHC

mitsubishi lancer:- the recent price revisions make it a good buy. good FE, handling nad image charred by soft rear seat ride and paper specs(87 super fast bhp's) may fall on the the higher side of 7 though and you dont get much kit.

tata indigo:- the best value for money you can get in India. cheap, reliable, frugal and comfortable. Refinement is bad and occasional blips reminds that its a tata. certainly a good buy for a family car.

for driving performance and entertainment look at a palio, baleno, lancer and swift in that order.

For a family car look at fiesta,optra, indigo, NHC in that order

For an allround car look at Swift,baleno or lancer(tie) in that order.
Old 22nd November 2005, 09:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haryan
Welcome back to India ..
which place will you be moving to in India ( this question has absolutely no connection to the main topic but just for curiosity sake i asked )
for the budget you have you can look at HondaCity, Ford Fiesta, Chevrolet Optra, Hyundai AccentCRDI, Toyota Corolla ..
All this cars are good

hey haryan no way can u get the corolla in the 7-8 lac range buddy!!!

welcome abroad dude,
i would say u look into the lancer which is on a host of discounts, honda city ( no need to convince anyone here) and optra which is a good buy... cheers...!
Old 25th November 2005, 15:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Car Option

Hai There,

Welcome back home..........

There has been some tight comparisions and objective analysis by many experienced BHPns...........I wouldn't repeat all of what has been discussed.

For your specificaitons........ I think only Fiesta will fit in.... it has the power and the price for you. Test drive all and see 4 yr self.

-- Ramky.
Old 25th November 2005, 15:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi welcome to Team-BHP, have a great stay.
Fiesta is a good choice for the budget you mentioned, its got decent power and has got good dynamics and its the newes of the lot. Another option is the Baleno if you are ready to live with its looks.
Old 25th November 2005, 17:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

hey niv26
its a good thing that you are coming back

as for cars I would say you will find Honda City to be sluggish but please go for it
you will find cheap interiors on other cars in its segment (expect one or two) & specially coming from USA you might get frustrated with the quality
think it like this way
where will you drive car more often? city or race track?
if its city you don't need super powerful car
where will you spend most of your time when driving? looking at exterior or in cabin?
in cabin so you need good interiors
Old 25th November 2005, 17:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Welcome To INDIA..... Man just get A Chevy optra. It will cost ya like 7.5 - 7.8 lac on road. It got gr8 luxury and space. Better that NHC. Though if u r budegets restricts you then go for Fiesta. Really a nice car. Better build qulity that NHC and you get ABS/EBD too..

Old 25th November 2005, 18:06   #13
BHPian

My suggestions - Chevy Optra (1.8 maybe over budget but great car), Honda City ZX Vtec and the new Ford Fiesta 1.6

7L prolly only the Fiesta fits the bill but if you stretch the budget you get better choices.
Old 25th November 2005, 20:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Find the lowest mileage OHC VTEC from the last year of production.
Should get it for 5 - 6L. This car comes closest to the Integra, and as you know will last a long time.
Old 25th November 2005, 23:50   #15
BHPian

Good choice, you can go for the New City V.tec with stiffer shocks, 4 wheel discs, ABS and the Honda badge will ensure Top notch quality, FE, Resale value!!!

Last edited by solly : 25th November 2005 at 23:51.

Most Viewed