Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2010, 00:01   #1
BHPian

fast but not low-slung

My next car has to be fast and sporty like the Baleno. I love the car.
Trouble is, my father complains about how difficult it is for him to get in and out of the Baleno.
When I change it, I would like something as sporty, but not as low as the Baleno. Oh, and my budget is about 8 lakhs!
Any suggestions?
Old 25th August 2010, 00:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
My next car has to be fast and sporty like the Baleno. I love the car.
Trouble is, my father complains about how difficult it is for him to get in and out of the Baleno.
When I change it, I would like something as sporty, but not as low as the Baleno. Oh, and my budget is about 8 lakhs!
Any suggestions?
. Fast & Sporty.
. Not low slung.
. 8L budget.

Looks like you are describing an SX4. Try the SX4 VVT and see if it meets all your requirements?
Old 25th August 2010, 02:08   #3

Yes SX4 looks spot on if you're happy with it's looks/features and about continuing with the good Maruti family.

Now if you're OK with pre-worshipped cars, look out for a 2010 ANHC. I saw some interesting deals in Mumbai some months back on the ANHC SMT. You and dad will both be happy and you'll have the arrow shot design/performance and the Honda badge value as well.

Since you used the word 'about' 8 lacs, TD the ANHC and see if you wanna gently even push your budget towards a new ANHC SMT.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:07   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Filcord, amongst new cars, the SX4 suits your requirements to the T. I would also (highly recommend) a pre-owned Toyota Altis to you. After the Baleno, I doubt you'll be happy with the SX4's engine. The Altis, on the other hand, is fast, spacious and a truly practical sedan. Not as sporty as the Baleno, yet a very good car to live with. You'll easily get 2007 - 2008 cars with < 20,000 kms on the odo for 8 lakhs.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:26   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys. I checked out the SX4 even earlier, but the TD did not leave a very good impression. That was three years ago before the engine improvements. Has the engine changed since then?
I will also look at pre-owned, as GTO suggests, with as few numbers on the clock as possible. That should open up the horizon somewhat.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

What about the Fiesta 1.6S? Its fast and not too low slung, when compared to the Baleno/OHC.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
What about the Fiesta 1.6S? Its fast and not too low slung, when compared to the Baleno/OHC.
His father's back will go for a toss if he regularly sits in the back seat and travel is predominantly on bad roads.
Old 26th August 2010, 16:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
After the Baleno, I doubt you'll be happy with the SX4's engine.
Why is this so ? Will someone kindly explain.

pardon my ignorance on engine-wengine.

Rohan
Old 26th August 2010, 16:25   #9
BHPian

If you still have not decided upon finalizing the sedan, you must give a try to Mitsubishi Cedia. Pre owned car in a very good condition will cost you way less than your existing budget.
You can atleast test drive a new one, which will give the idea of selecting your wheels.
Old 26th August 2010, 16:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Most of the sedans today are not as low slung as the erstwhile Baleno/Esteem/OHC etc.
SX4 has good height and should suit your father well. With VVT engine, performance and refinements are much better than before.
Second choice would be, as GTO mentioned, a second hand Corolla.
Old 27th August 2010, 09:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
If you still have not decided upon finalizing the sedan, you must give a try to Mitsubishi Cedia. Pre owned car in a very good condition will cost you way less than your existing budget.
You can atleast test drive a new one, which will give the idea of selecting your wheels.
+1 Before you finalise, TD the Cedia. I am sure it will tick almost all the boxes, but not very sure how comfy the back seat is.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:27   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Thanks, yes, I'd thought of the Cedia. In Goa unfortunately, there are a handful of them, so the pre-owned market is practically nil. Also since 2008 there has been no dealer or authorised service station in Goa, until one was appointed two weeks back!
Old 28th August 2010, 00:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
+1 Before you finalise, TD the Cedia. I am sure it will tick almost all the boxes, but not very sure how comfy the back seat is.
The comfort in the rear is subjective to the individual and the cars with which it is being compared with. The leg space is adequate for somebody whose height is less than 185cm. Thigh and lumbar support is above average and the suspension seems to be the best in class to gobble up most of the potholes so as to offer a comfortable ride.
But again, you will agree with me on this, that, it remains the buyers perspective to actually scrutinize such intricacies.
Old 28th August 2010, 00:42   #14
BHPian

You could also look at the Fiesta 1.6..

I dont think its too low slung, its fast and its a great drivers car
Old 28th August 2010, 00:54   #15
BHPian

Cedia would be a good buy.
See if this MH reg Cedia works out for you
Team-BHP Classifieds - 2007 Mitsubishi Cedia Sports (Red) - 39K - Excellent condition - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Altis is a good car in all aspects but Cedia can compete on similar grounds with a sportier thump. As an owner I have been pretty happy with it.

Most Viewed