Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 13:53   #16
BHPian

Quote:
The Vento A/T box is triptronic - that takes care of the lack of paddle shifts.
How to use tiptronic ? Is it similar to Switching off Overdrive in i10 or moving the gear shift lever to "2" or "L" mode? Or similar to Paddle shift in Civic/City.

Quote:
If you want a diesel autobox - you have to settle for the verna in your budget. Upsize the tires for stability and place a lord ganesha idol on the dash to make up for the missing airbags!
Good one I was thinking so too.
Old 30th August 2010, 14:24   #17
BANNED

2008 Civic may have the ground clearance problem since the rear end mounting points were updated only in Sept 2009. As for the steering once you get used to EPS any hydraulic steering looks tight. Also, Hyundai's are notorious for over-servoed transmissions (EPS or hydraulic). I had a bit of the heavy steering issue when transiting to the Civic from the Accent. Now I just love the razor sharp steering.

As for the lag, in the interest of economy the Civic AT has very tall gearing, 52kph/1000 rpm in 5th. I am sure if you had stepped on it a bit the gear-changing would have been quite acceptable.

I am surprised by the mileage - I have done barely 1500km and am already getting better than that! See the Civic maintenance thread and the figures are much better.

I will still say get the AT from Honda - Civic or ANHC is your choice. One big plus point the Civic has seen its peak depreciation period.

Last edited by sgiitk : 30th August 2010 at 14:26.
Old 30th August 2010, 15:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticfan View Post
How to use tiptronic ? Is it similar to Switching off Overdrive in i10 or moving the gear shift lever to "2" or "L" mode? Or similar to Paddle shift in Civic/City.
You slot the gear shift lever right from the D, and you have a sequential + / - sign. Pull down toards the + sign to shift up and push towards the - sign to shift down.

For more information : Manumatic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Also, Hyundai's are notorious for over-servoed transmissions (EPS or hydraulic).
Would you please explain this term? What are the implications of it?
Old 30th August 2010, 15:35   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Would you please explain this term? What are the implications of it?
Over servoed means too much assist. The plus point is easy steering, esp at low speeds. The negative is that you get near zero feedback from the road. Also, often the steering becomes 'vague'. You really do not know where the car is pointing, how good or bad is the road grip, etc. For example, if you drive on ice/snow (or even in heavy rain) the first sign of reducing grip is steering getting very light. With a car like the Accent or the Santro which is over servoed you will never know! By and large European cars have less assist that American cars, possibly due to more winding roads! What you often see in movies, of the car turning with the little finger is not good from the safety point of view.
Old 30th August 2010, 15:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Over servoed means too much assist. The plus point is easy steering, esp at low speeds. The negative is that you get near zero feedback from the road. Also, often the steering becomes 'vague'. You really do not know where the car is pointing, how good or bad is the road grip, etc. For example, if you drive on ice/snow (or even in heavy rain) the first sign of reducing grip is steering getting very light. With a car like the Accent or the Santro which is over servoed you will never know! By and large European cars have less assist that American cars, possibly due to more winding roads! What you often see in movies, of the car turning with the little finger is not good from the safety point of view.
Yes the i10 steering does feel somewhat like that in high speeds, though I feel it is better than stock condition as I upsized to wider tires. But still I feel the safe ceiling for i10 with upsized tires is 110-120 kmph.
Old 31st August 2010, 07:53   #21
BHPian

IMO anhc is the best automatic in the country. sx4 gives no driving pleasure at all but then since you will be doing mostly city driving i dont know how much can you really push the car. the plus point of the sx4 is that it is really spacious. the legroom and headroom is great. also being a maruti you know that it will be the easiest to maintain amongst all other automatics at hand.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2010 at 15:46. Reason: No need to type the entire post in ITALICS
Old 31st August 2010, 10:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
IMO anhc is the best automatic in the country. sx4 gives no driving pleasure at all but then since you will be doing mostly city driving i dont know how much can you really push the car. the plus point of the sx4 is that it is really spacious. the legroom and headroom is great. also being a maruti you know that it will be the easiest to maintain amongst all other automatics at hand.

I beg to differ at this point - as with any problems in the AT box, the maruti technicians are supposedly the least confident (one guy from a MASS told me - 'why on earth would maruti fit this type of mechanics in a car?').
MSIL is a very late and grumpy adopter of the AT box (and I mean a proper 4 speed AT box).
Yes, with other maintenance - no doubt the easiest to maintain.
Old 31st August 2010, 19:32   #23
BHPian

@Guna, Jayanth and other ANHC AT Owners,
What is the FE you are getting in city and highway driving with AC on?
Thanks!
Old 31st August 2010, 19:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Guna, Jayanth and other ANHC AT Owners,
What is the FE you are getting in city and highway driving with AC on?
Thanks!
Before upgrading the tyres I used to get around 14.5 kmpl on highway and 9.5 kmpl in the city (all with AC on).
After the upgrade it had dropped to around 13.5 kmpl on highway and 8.5 within the city.
Recently I started driving in the heart of the city (as against driving through ring roads, outer ring roads etc) and the city FE is coming to 7kmpl!
Old 31st August 2010, 20:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

While this may not be entirely relevant, my City CVT (NHC) which has run 45000 kms has given me the same type of mileage throughout - aprrox 9 in the city and approx 13.5 on the highway (but then our highways in God's Own Land, as they call it, are definitely not the best).

Last edited by wilful : 31st August 2010 at 20:04.
Old 31st August 2010, 20:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Before upgrading the tyres I used to get around 14.5 kmpl on highway and 9.5 kmpl in the city (all with AC on).
After the upgrade it had dropped to around 13.5 kmpl on highway and 8.5 within the city.
Recently I started driving in the heart of the city (as against driving through ring roads, outer ring roads etc) and the city FE is coming to 7kmpl!
Thanks for the replies. So, ANHC AT is no different from my i10 AT in similar driving conditions on Bengaluru roads. Now, I'm getting more confused on the car as I'm looking for better FE in my next AT car. I'm looking for atleast 10 kmpl in city and 14 on higways.
Old 31st August 2010, 21:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. So, ANHC AT is no different from my i10 AT in similar driving conditions on Bengaluru roads. Now, I'm getting more confused on the car as I'm looking for better FE in my next AT car. I'm looking for atleast 10 kmpl in city and 14 on higways.
AT car - 10 kmpl city - 14 kmpl highway - within 10 lakhs - only points to verna crdi sx abs AT !
Old 27th May 2011, 19:37   #28
BHPian

Re: Need suggestions AT Sedan -2008 Civic/Vento/ANHC/Verna

@automaticfan: Did you reach a final decision on which AT sedan to buy? If so please update on the decision and the reasoning.
I am also thinking of an AT sedan. Ideally need something < 10L, but unfortunately there are no options in Bangalore (still wonder why most cars do not give an AT yet! a Dzire/Etios AT would be good to have)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks