Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2010, 02:27   #16
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang language posts are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2010 at 23:31.
chetan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th September 2010, 16:18   #17
BHPian

Oil change fundas have changed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Both VW & Fiat realise the market's concerns, and hence promote their 15,000 kms service intervals heavily. Though I don't personally agree with such long intervals (more specifically, using the same engine oil for 15K), it does have advantages from the marketing POV.
Actually, oil companies have been ripping us with unnecessarily frequent oil change recommendations. For a good review of recent thoughts, read the NY Times article.
Old 20th September 2010, 22:48   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Sales guy told me that there is some setting. But I dont think that is the case. I think it was the same in polo also.
Use the "child lock" feature.

I've moved the other 10 posts discussing the Vento's locking system to the TD thread. Lets keep this thread specific to the comparo only.

Quote:
Did you notice the vibration in clutch in Vento?. Is it same in Linea/other diesels as well?. Didn't see this issue in DZire.
It's definitely more in the Vento than in the Linea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar View Post
Actually, oil companies have been ripping us with unnecessarily frequent oil change recommendations. For a good review of recent thoughts, read the NY Times article.
Hey, considering that regular oil changes are the single most important contributor to an engine's longevity, 7,500 kms is the max I'm willing to go on the same oil.
Old 21st September 2010, 14:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Use the "child lock" feature.

Hey, considering that regular oil changes are the single most important contributor to an engine's longevity, 7,500 kms is the max I'm willing to go on the same oil.
Now this is interesting. So GTO, would you advise the same for the Polo/Ventor/Linea owners as well? Any additional reasoning behind this?

(Personally for me, I wouldnt cross 15000 in a year, so I would be around your limits anyways).
Old 24th September 2010, 12:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Considering the fact that the manufacturer would have done enough tests and studies before recommending a 15000 km intreval and with the advance of technology to create better oils and engines, should we still be doing it for lesser intrevals?

I'm assuming here that the manufacturer would also like his car to be labelled as reliable even after 7 years and so would not compromise much on that front. But you are right - it sure is a good marketing strategy.
Old 24th September 2010, 16:48   #21
BHPian

Hi mailmaldi,

I also went for a TD for both the vehicles (Petrol versions), unfortunately could not TD Vento as it was occupied. But will share my experience:

Linea:
Exterior Looks : Currently the best on indian roads (in price range 2-15 lacs), you tend to fall in love with the way it looks & surely it would inflate your lungs every morning you open its doors.

Interiors: Yes it seems as if two separate design teams were working on this car, Alpha Romeo team on the exteriors & FIAT commercial vehicle division on the interiors!! Lots of room for improvement, I hear that T-jet has better interior quality..lets wait & see if it gets into non T-jet models as well. (FIAT should have known that the person spending $^$ on a car would be spending more time inside the car than outside)

Caveat: "Looks are subjective". There's a saying " Raja ko achi lage vo rani.. Chahe Andhi ho ya Kani"

Engine: It good, not for racers but okay for a family person. Great FE. I got 13kmpl on MID while on TD. (Is better that what I get in my Estillo!!)

Space on Front: Best in class, looks large. But my left knee was touching against the center console, maybe because of my posture while driving.

Space on Back: Good. (I think it has better space than Vento, but it feels smaller than Vento's (Maybe because Vento is brighter inside due to bigger windows)

Now on the Vento (Couldn't Get to TD)
Exterior Looks : Its well proportioned & you cant pick a fault in its design, but No body would notice if you drive past them.

Interiors: Again same as exteriors, you cant pick a fault in them, but it looks bland (Infact so bland that they would never go out of Fashion, just like Pajamas). No bells & Whistles. Now if we compare the design of interiors with Linea, its seems FIAT commercial design team is better than Germans. When it comes to materials, fit & finish Germans outclass the Italians.

Engine: Could not test drive, but you can rely on German Engines with your eyes closed. (Although same is the case with Italian engines, but German engines are built to last. The argument can be equated to European cars v/s Japanese cars or Japanese cars v/s Korean Cars)

Space on Front: Good. (While sitting in the drivers seat I felt them better than Linea)

Space on Back: Now this is a deal breaker, Vento has its propeller shaft inside the car !!!!!Can you believe it???!!! (Above the floor plate), this is a non issue for front seat as there are two seats, but on the back due to this, there are two buckets on the floor. (The shaft is at least 10 inches above the floor board). So travelling with three passengers on the back is ruled out (Even three 14 year olds will fight for the foot space)!!

MONEY WISE: Linea is priced better (Once can save almost 1.2 lacs by opting for linea)

So its a matter of Heart v/s Head (Heart for 100%linea, Head 50% for Linea & 50% for Vento) so overall I feel Linea wins by having 75% of my total votes.
(T-Jet at right price would make linea win by 100% of my votes)

Take a informed decision, no car is worth keeping for 10 years (I reckon that even you would change within 5-7 years)

Last edited by sunnyside : 24th September 2010 at 16:53.
Old 24th September 2010, 17:45   #22
BHPian

GTO having driven both cars, dont you feel the hydraulic steering itself is reason enough to consider the Linea over the Vento?for the most hardcore enthusiast?

I just cannot tolerate cars with electric steering systems!!it spoils the overall driving experience!!
Old 24th September 2010, 21:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Considering the fact that the manufacturer would have done enough tests and studies before recommending a 15000 km intreval and with the advance of technology to create better oils and engines, should we still be doing it for lesser intrevals?
Its a gimmick to prove low running costs. I changed oil at 7.5 k for my safari and the service engineer appreciated that.Its worth visiting service centres than showrooms to see a vehicle. i learnt it when i brought kinetic marvel instead of kinetic honda a decade ago.

Linea has been out there for quite sometime.Vento is new.technical problems are not surfaced yet. you will be buying from the first batch.VW would have pricing of spares similar to Skoda. In some cases, it would prove costly within first 2 years. I am in middle east. Even here people are skeptical about skoda/vw.

How about you push a bit to cruze LT ? I read you are strict about your budget though.But for a 5+ year ownership, think again.
Old 25th September 2010, 12:11   #24
BHPian

I have an Emotion Pack Foxtrot Azure Linea (Petrol) and so far I have little to complain out. My biggest concern when getting the car was the A.S.S. but surprisingly, this is the place where I have been more satisfied with Fiat than with my other cars - Suzuki and Hyundai. Some kid at the tennis club cracked my windshield and though I had it replaced, the viper on the passenger was cracked too and I had to tape it for a while. When I went for a free Fiat workshop, they replaced it for free although they were well within their rights to charge me for the replacement. They also delivered the car back home for free even though I offered to pay for the service. They even got the reverse sensors fitted for me at short notice and assured me that since I got it done through them, my warranty would not lapse.

I am unsure if such service is restricted to Bombay or not.

If I were you and planning to keep the car for a while - my main consideration would be "Which car do I enjoy driving the most?" After 7-10 years, I don't think I'd really care about the resale value of the car - the difference would be negligible.
Old 25th September 2010, 12:31   #25
BHPian

Since your girl friend likes it : Vento is the clear choice. Now two ways about it.

Just that you will end up spending more and compromise on a few features compared to the Linea. But you get a more powerful engine : so probably it all even's out in the end.
Old 25th September 2010, 13:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
How about you push a bit to cruze LT ? I read you are strict about your budget though.But for a 5+ year ownership, think again.
Actually i am thinking about it. I have taken the test drive of cruze few days ago.
Still its bit confusing that should i spent 3+ Lakh additional on cruze or not. Since its going to be our only car it would be hard for us to take it to market etc

btw does cruze have hydraulic PS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
GTO having driven both cars, dont you feel the hydraulic steering itself is reason enough to consider the Linea over the Vento?for the most hardcore enthusiast?

I just cannot tolerate cars with electric steering systems!!it spoils the overall driving experience!!
True carfreak, the only concern i have regarding vento is its EPS. If only it had HPS i wouldn't have any doubt.
Recently i went on a drive Delhi -> jaipur -> Ajmer -> Tonk -> Ajmer -> Jaipur -> Delhi few days ago, It was approximately 1100KMs driving in 2-3 days and i was driving Manza. Since manza had HPS the overall driving experience was good enough. I never felt the car was behaving random, i drove it till 140 KMPH and it was quite under control.

Frankly i have not driven any EPS car over 100 till now :( so i am unaware of their behavior.

Please suggest is it worth it to reject vento just because it doesn't have HPS and choose linea/cruze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
So its a matter of Heart v/s Head (Heart for 100%linea, Head 50% for Linea & 50% for Vento) so overall I feel Linea wins by having 75% of my total votes.
(T-Jet at right price would make linea win by 100% of my votes)

Take a informed decision, no car is worth keeping for 10 years (I reckon that even you would change within 5-7 years)
Thanks Sunny for such detailed input. It was very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
If I were you and planning to keep the car for a while - my main consideration would be "Which car do I enjoy driving the most?".
absolutely spot on

So here is the question again.
If i like driving and i need car which gives me better driving experience with safety feature which one should it be ?
Old 25th September 2010, 14:07   #27
ajai_dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmaldi View Post
Actually i am thinking about it. I have taken the test drive of cruze few days ago.

btw does cruze have hydraulic PS ?

On the same boat as you friend actually i am waiting for the Linea 1.6L and gonna get either that or Cruze LT. Yes it has a hydraulic unit and i did like it in the test drive but have to say the Linea somehow had more grace in higher speeds.

I really hope a 1.6 version of Linea does pop up because i feel the 1.3's will just wont cut it on highway with full load.

Old 25th September 2010, 17:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:

So here is the question again.
If i like driving and i need car which gives me better driving experience with safety feature which one should it be ?
You will get an answer to this question only if you take highway test drives of the two cars. I am not sure if the dealers will let you do that : but I can't think of a reason why they should not ?

Going by the expert reviews : Linea definitely does have the edge there.

Looking at the kind of usage from whatever you have mentioned till now : do you really think the more powerful engine of the Vento is going to be THAT significant ?
Old 25th September 2010, 21:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:

True carfreak, the only concern i have regarding vento is its EPS. If only it had HPS i wouldn't have any doubt.
Recently i went on a drive Delhi -> jaipur -> Ajmer -> Tonk -> Ajmer -> Jaipur -> Delhi few days ago, It was approximately 1100KMs driving in 2-3 days and i was driving Manza. Since manza had HPS the overall driving experience was good enough. I never felt the car was behaving random, i drove it till 140 KMPH and it was quite under control.

Frankly i have not driven any EPS car over 100 till now :( so i am unaware of their behavior.
I can understand!!I have driven my friend's vista for about 100+ km recently and the steering felt a lot predictable.now this friend of mine has a swift but for a long distance drive he prefers the vista any day, due to the satisfying feeling the hydraulic steering imparts!!

Electric steerings are good in the city but as speeds increase it just lacks adequate feel.of course hydraulic steering alone may not be a reason for you choosing linea over vento but if you love driving and you drive on the highways a lot, you will miss the feel of a hydraulic unit!!
Old 25th September 2010, 22:40   #30
BHPian

Both FIAT and VW depemding on the diet.

If its diesel then I would pick the VENTO the only niggle being the EPS.
If its a petrol diet then nothing to think about other than buying the Linea TJet. Price is the only consideration. I expect it to be about 2 lakhs more than the Manza so that there is no sibling rivalry in the showroom.

If your budget can be stretched then the CRUZE LT is the best option.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks