Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:35   #46
Team-BHP Support

I think from a long term ownership experience, Linea maybe a better option - not looking at the cost of the vehicle, but considering the service and maint. cost for next 5+ years.
But if you're inclined towards Vento, I guess you should go decide on it pretty fast, and try to get one from the initial batch. Especially looking the way VW is working on its relationship with Suzuki, its quite possible that upcoming VWs could have more of a Japanese flavour (like those Korean Chevrolets)
Old 1st November 2010, 13:45   #47
BHPian

Friends, wanted some information on behalf of my colleagues. They are contemplating on buying the Linea MJD / T-Jet.

They are confused, whether to go for a Diesel Variant or Petrol. Their monthly running will be around 1100 to 1200 Kms. One thing i wanted to know is the Cost of ownership, i have few questions on the same, mentioned below:

1. Is there any difference in the Spare Costs of Petrol & Diesel ?
2. If the Diesel Spares / running items are costly, does that negate the FE savings / Km benefit ?
3. In the long run which would be more costlier of the two ?
4. I hope the resale value of the Diesel is more than the Petrol. AFAIK, the European Petrols depreciate faster compared to others, am i right ?

Kindly provide your valuable comments.
Old 1st November 2010, 14:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

@sharma_sanjeevi:

First of all, your friend should ask a question to himself. Whether he wants a driver's car or a cost-efficient car?

The monthly running that you mentioned is actually on the borderline of choosing between a Petrol or a Diesel.

- Fiat spares are cheaper compared to VW spares.
- Fiat has more service centers, atleast as of now, compared to VW, which currently has just one per city.
- Fiat gives loads of features for the price, always. VW takes money from you for everything, even the silly things like mud flaps, mats, etc.

- VW's quality of interiors is much better than that of Fiat. I've heard components falling off from Lineas. Though, it is also true that the new T-Jet linea has much much better interiors compared to the older Lineas.

- Probably a myth: Diesel engines lose their life after 1 L KMs. If your friend wants to keep the car beyond this, then Petrol is suggested.

- Diesel vehicles fetch better resale value than Petrols. But resale value factors comes into picture, only if you want to sell the car in less than 2-3 years. For a 4-5 year ownership, this doesn't matter.

- Daily running cost is higher on a Petrol car. Obviously, we know that petrol generally costs around 10 Rs higher than Diesel.

- Vento has much better rear-seat legroom than the Linea. If your friend does not have to transport more than 2-3 persons, then this point can be ignored.

- Build-quality of both Linea T-Jet and Vento is very good. So no deciding factor.

- With Linea T-jet, you are getting 4+1 alloys. Whereas, Vento comes with 4 alloys and steel wheel as the spare wheel. That is ODD.

- Huge, irritating, boring waiting periods for all VW cars right now. On the other side, Linea is being delivered in less than 2 weeks time.

- Linea T-Jet will give lesser FE than the Vento petrol, due to the amazing turbocharged engine on the Linea.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 1st November 2010, 14:41   #49
BHPian

@Ajay,

Thanks for the Information buddy. That's good amount of informaiton which you have passed on. I will make my friend aware of the scenario's mentioned here.

But, he is considering only Linea MJD / T-Jet, no other vehicle. So in all probabilities, i can see him going for the Linea MJD, he wants to keep the Car for minimum 5 years. I think the MJD will serve him well.
Old 1st November 2010, 14:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Did not want to nitpick but to start with sharma_sanjeevi's friend wants to choose between Linea's variants not Linea & Vento. There are some points though which need to be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
@sharma_sanjeevi:
First of all, your friend should ask a question to himself. Whether he wants a driver's car or a cost-efficient car?
None of the Linea's can be termed as drivers cars and neither can be the Vento.

Quote:
- Probably a myth: Diesel engines lose their life after 1 L KMs. If your friend wants to keep the car beyond this, then Petrol is suggested.
This is indeed a myth. Enough has been said on the forum on the longevity of Diesel engines.

Quote:
- Vento has much better rear-seat legroom than the Linea. If your friend does not have to transport more than 2-3 persons, then this point can be ignored.
That is physically impossible what with Lineas wheelbase of 2600+mm and Vento's being less than 2500mm.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:00   #51
Senior - BHPian

@khoj: Thanks for the correction. You are right.

Actually, since this thread is for Vento vs Linea comparison, I went on that route.

Isn't the new T-jet a driver's car with all its humongous turbo?

Secondly, I did not entirely get your point "That is physically impossible what with Lineas wheelbase of 2600+mm and Vento's being less than 2500mm."

The legroom on the ANHC is the best in this class, followed by the Vento. Even though Linea's big in all dimensions, its kind of weird that the rear seat leg room is very poor, comparatively. There is a great article by GTO on this very point. Ergonomics of Linea and ANHC. I will post the link if I find it.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@khoj: Thanks for the correction. You are right.
Not entirely, I stand corrected on Vento's wheelbase which is 2503mm.

Quote:
Actually, since this thread is for Vento vs Linea comparison, I went on that route.
One could see that.

Quote:
Isn't the new T-jet a driver's car with all its humongous turbo?
For me the thick, forward placed A pillars hamper clear forward and side vision, especially while cornering and that takes it off from my list of driver's cars.

Quote:
Secondly, I did not entirely get your point "That is physically impossible what with Lineas wheelbase of 2600+mm and Vento's being less than 2500mm."

The legroom on the ANHC is the best in this class, followed by the Vento. Even though Linea's big in all dimensions, its kind of weird that the rear seat leg room is very poor, comparatively. There is a great article by GTO on this very point. Ergonomics of Linea and ANHC. I will post the link if I find it.
As I recall GTO's complaint is more on the width of the seat rather than legroom per se. Also he says others have more cabin space. See his comment below regarding the poor rear legroom, the same comment also gives away the reason for the same(in bold).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Leg space is just about adequate, as long as there isn’t someone tall occupying the front seat. Believe me, with my driving position, you will not fit behind. The Honda City as well as the Volkswagen Vento have noticeably more cabin space. On the bright side, the rear bench support is excellent. The backrest is perfectly reclined, while the back & under-thigh support are super. The rear seat nearly feels like a comfortable house couch.
As for my comment regarding the wheelbase. The interior space is a factor of the wheel base, so larger wheelbase = more leg room. Fiat went the way of providing a deeper rear seat at the cost of legroom.
Old 1st November 2010, 16:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

Cheers Khoj.

I agree with you completely.

No offence meant buddy. Frankly, I am not yet there when it comes to precision about the information. However, I am learning very fast. So, excuse me for the not-so-complete view.
Old 1st November 2010, 16:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers Khoj.

I agree with you completely.

No offence meant buddy.
None Taken

Quote:
Frankly, I am not yet there when it comes to precision about the information. However, I am learning very fast. So, excuse me for the not-so-complete view.
We are all in the same boat and team mates neither seek nor are required to be excused.
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:51   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fiat gives loads of features for the price, always. VW takes money from you for everything, even the silly things like mud flaps, mats, etc.
Features are good to have, but they certainly should NOT decide whether a car is VFM or not. Fiat may give you more features, but the Vento gives you infinitely better interior quality.

Quote:
Probably a myth: Diesel engines lose their life after 1 L KMs. If your friend wants to keep the car beyond this, then Petrol is suggested.
In the 1980's, probably. Today, they last as long (if not longer) than petrols. Please spend some time looking up cars on the forum (including Swifts, Innovas & Scorpios with over 2.0 lakh kms).

Quote:
But resale value factors comes into picture, only if you want to sell the car in less than 2-3 years. For a 4-5 year ownership, this doesn't matter.
There is a certain 2005 C segment car that will fetch 2.0 lakhs in the market today, and another that will get 4.0 lakhs. Do 2 lakhs not matter to you? That's 25% of a new sedan's price!! Saying that resale doesn't matter for a 5 year old car is absolute rubbish.

Quote:
Linea T-Jet will give lesser FE than the Vento petrol, due to the amazing turbocharged engine on the Linea.
Says who? Turbo-chargers actually make an engine more efficient. The T-Jet will give 9.5 in a crowded city like Mumbai, which is about the same as that for a Vento petrol.
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Oooops!

Guys I dont want to get into the wrong books of anybody.

I am a very much NEWBee still, though my designation says BHPian. I am sorry If you guys think I am spreading wrong information. I will try to be careful henceforth.

Apologies!

Regarding this point... "Probably a myth: Diesel engines lose their life after 1 L KMs. If your friend wants to keep the car beyond this, then Petrol is suggested. "...This statement was made by a sales person of Skoda. My friends recently purchased Skoda Laura petrol. He was confused between diesel and petrol, when the sales guy told this info.

Hope I am not thrown out of TBHP. It matters to me too much.
Old 13th March 2011, 08:59   #57
BHPian

re: Fiat Linea or VW Vento--Vento Finalized !

Hi All, just wanted to update that my Vento has arrived. I will start an Ownership thread soon (waiting to click some pics ).
Mods please close this thread.

Thanks
Old 15th March 2011, 12:27   #58
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats mailmaldi, await your ownership thread. Do post a link to that on this thread.
Old 15th March 2011, 13:26   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support :

Congrats MailMaldi for deciding on Vento. Closing this thread as requested. Do open a new thread in "Initial Ownership Thread" to share your experiences with your new car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed