Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: which auto car?
Vento Automatic Petrol 36 48.65%
Honda City Automatic 38 51.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2014, 00:33   #136
BHPian

Well.. Depends on what you want from a car ? If its soft touch something, automatic something else (read lights, wipers) then u might as well look for a high end electronic gadget... But If you still like driving then try the Europeans...
suhas_raj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 01:01   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Vento as a car is really basic and dated. You dont really get more car for your money, you end up paying for gearbox, engine and the body. The overall package is quite poor.
You also pay for the suspension which feels a lot better sorted although not in the league of Linea and Fiesta, and with ESC- you pay for safety as well.

Agreed with your point regarding features though. I couldn't figure out many interior features in additions to the ones I currently have on my Punto hatchback. City is loaded when compared, however - the VW does cover the basics.

As a package- I would prefer the VW over the City.
Old 5th October 2014, 12:45   #138
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Vento Auto v/s Honda City Auto

That is a very biased generalisation. Drive a Mitsubishi, a Subaru, Nissan Maxima, Altima or for that matter anything from the infinity range, the Type R Civic & a host of other models (not even considering any of the super cars from Nippon) and the whole thing flips over on it's head. Not all Japanese are boxes taking one from point A to B and not all Europeans are driver's cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
But If you still like driving then try the Europeans...
Old 5th October 2014, 14:42   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
That is a very biased generalisation. Drive a Mitsubishi, a Subaru, Nissan Maxima, Altima or for that matter anything from the infinity range, the Type R Civic & a host of other models (not even considering any of the super cars from Nippon) and the whole thing flips over on it's head. Not all Japanese are boxes taking one from point A to B and not all Europeans are driver's cars.
Agree sir. I wish we could buy a Subaru, Nissan Maxima, Altima or for that matter anything from the infinity range, the Type R Civic in India, except for Mitsubishi which apparently is struggling due to its partnership with HM & looks like it may shut shop soon none of the other cars you mentioned are even available here

My comment was strictly for cars available in India & specific to VW Vento Auto v/s Honda City Auto in this thread. Its intent was not be a "very biased generalisation"
suhas_raj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 16:48   #140
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread.

How about this in today' scenario? Is the Vento too aged a product to buy today? I am somewhat more tilting towards a Vento in comparison to a City but not sure if its too old a car to buy today.
Old 8th May 2018, 12:06   #141
Senior - BHPian

Vento has better driving dynamics, while the city has more space, especially at the rear.

The quality of the new City has deteriorated quite a bit compared to that sold five years ago.

So on the whole what you buy depends of whether you want better driving or more space.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 13:10   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Bumping up an old thread.

How about this in today' scenario? Is the Vento too aged a product to buy today? I am somewhat more tilting towards a Vento in comparison to a City but not sure if its too old a car to buy today.
To be honest, it is quite dated right now. The last facelift was in 2015 and the Virtus won't be here anytime soon. VW just keeps launching special editions.
Though the vento might be down on features, the DSG blows Honda's CVT out of the water. Both are well engineered cars... It all comes down to your priorities and what kind of driver you are. If are not the sedate type then you'll probably regret getting a CVT.
Old 8th May 2018, 13:26   #143
BHPian

Thanks TSIboy and Aroy.

Having sat in both the cars, somehow the Vento appeals more to me from an ergonomics and build POV. While space is important, the Vento is actually sufficient for my needs ( 4 adults + 1 kid). Even in terms of gizmos, Vento seems to have caught up to some extent - touchscreen infotainment etc. Only worry i have is if it is too old a platform.

I think i should explore some of the AT crossovers/SUV also. Completely confused !
Old 8th May 2018, 13:30   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Just TDed the Vento TSI DSG this Sunday, got the opportunity to push it and boy was it fun!

It's outdated but has the basics covered in the form of a high tech engine and gearbox, excellent quality of materials, ESP, driving dynamics etc. Still lacks 6 airbags and other bells and whistles like key less go, sunroof, auto headlamps. The highline plus variant though offers the beautiful LED lights.

It's a tough choice really.
Old 8th May 2018, 17:43   #145
BHPian

Driven both long enough and these are very competent cars on road today. I think it all boils down to personal choices and this is my takeaway.

Driving dynamics : Hands down Vento wins. DSG, responsiveness and steering feedback. It just hits the right spot. City is miles behind.

Security : Vento's plus point is build quality, two air bags and structural stability. City has additional airbags. Build quality is typical Jap. I would say its a tie.

Features : Vento has got all the basic covered but City is the clear winner with all bells and whistles. Current gen Vento is older generation Jetta and looks matured. City looks modern. Again looks are very subjective.

I am hoping city to be better for cost of ownership and peace of mind. I think the question would be mind(City) or heart(Vento).
Old 11th May 2018, 14:50   #146
BHPian

Arun - if you are looking for a driver's car, the Vento TSI wins. Ditto for safety and driving dynamics. Consider bells and whistles or resale value and the City comes out better. To me it's a heart over head decision.

In case you decide primarily based on a test drive, I doubt you would be pleased with anything beyond the Vento TSI. Unless of course you want to check out the Octavia vRS.
Old 15th May 2018, 09:37   #147
BHPian

I did a test drive of the Vento TSI last week and as DrSumit says, it will be very tough to match it !

Also, i feel Vento TSI was ergonomically superior to the other cars I tested. the driving position was very comfortable. (trying to justify the decision to my mind as well )

For me, the issues were:
- Old platform
- beige interiors might get dirty quickly
- the tall transmission hump

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks