Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2010, 11:45   #1
BHPian

Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel vs VW Vento Diesel : Which one?

Hi All,

I'm completing 5 years with my current petrol vehicles(ikon and honda city VTEC) and planning to switch to a diesel sedan.

Part of my answers are there in this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-vw-vento.html

But as Altis was not on picture there,I'm starting this thread.

My short listed vehicles are:

1.Toyota Corolla Altis-Diesel.
1.4L/88.4PS/205NMetr./20-25 KMPL price around 11L (ex showroom) for base model and 14L high end.

Toyota - Corolla Altis - Diesel Specification

2. VW Venta Diesel.

1.6L/105PS/250Nmeter/20-25 kmpl. I think its also priced around 10L.

http://www.volkswagen.co.in/media/co..._tech_spec.pdf

Eventhough Venta looks good on specifications, as my experience with Toyota (have one innova and am extremely happy with toyota's service) is very good, I've a preference to Altis.

I'm looking for a 5-10 year ownership and hence cost of maintenance is very important. Both Ikon and City never gave any huge bill or major repairs till now and steadily giving 14-16 KMPL with AC (on long journeys). I want something similar.

suggestions please.
Old 28th September 2010, 20:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

vento all the way. for the simple reason you would have good amount of highway driving and you would keep the car for a longtime. The corolla altis diesel is very underpowered. unless u want a no-thrills, and a practical no non sense chauffeur driven sedan at a insane price. if you are ready to spend so much for a diesel sedan why not give Cruze a test ride?
Old 28th September 2010, 22:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
The corolla altis diesel is very underpowered.

Underpowered,yes. But very underpowered?

If I were you, my heart would say Vento, mind would say Altis-Diesel. I am not really sure about plonking close to a million on a brand who has just set foot in our shores. About the Altis, your experience with Innova is testimony to the trust Toyota commands. I would buy the Altis-Diesel.

EDIT: Title reads Venta instead of Vento!!

Last edited by sachinj12 : 28th September 2010 at 22:19.
Old 28th September 2010, 22:12   #4
ajai_dev

Took test drive of both and the thing is that Corolla is a true 5 passenger car and Vento is a true 4 passenger car. Vento has a huge hump and corolla is the exact opposite "No hump at all". The engine on Vento is better overall, corolla still has a better engine than a Fiat Linea but not as good as Vento's.

Overall i feel the Corolla is better in comfort and Vento is better in engine and gadgets.

Old 28th September 2010, 22:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai_dev View Post
Took test drive of both and the thing is that Corolla is a true 5 passenger car and Vento is a true 4 passenger car. Vento has a huge hump and corolla is the exact opposite "No hump at all". The engine on Vento is better overall, corolla still has a better engine than a Fiat Linea but not as good as Vento's.

Overall i feel the Corolla is better in comfort and Vento is better in engine and gadgets.
I have the Cruze and took a test drive of the Vento yesterday. If engine matters to you then go for the CruzeLT. If its chauffeur driven comfort you are after and relatively better so called reliability(Toyota took a beating in the international market) then go for the Altis. Vento could have been in the picture if it was priced at 9 lakhs and had better sound insulation. 10 lakhs is way too close to the price of the CruzeLT. After you take a test drive of the Cruze the Vento will be off your list. Since you are based in Simla may I suggest the base model AltisD.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 28th September 2010 at 22:55.
Old 28th September 2010, 23:37   #6
BHPian

My two cents
Altis D :
Pros - Rock Solid reliability, sturdiness , hassle free ownership & responsive/responsible A$$
Cons - engine is not kick a$$, Price.

Vento D:
Pros - Good responsive engine
Cons - A$$ & long term reliability yet to be tested.

Since your timeframe is 5 to 10 years, I would suggest the Altis D.
cheers
Old 29th September 2010, 08:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Vento makes a lot of sense, but its after sales service and availability on the spot is a question. The Altis diesel too I have heard is having some production problems. But still a Toyota will be give a lot more peace of mind even if it was a bit underpowered if you are going to keep it for a long time.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:58   #8
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I too have similar sentiments as the replies.Altis have less power but higher price.
Also,i heared that some of the features of Altis petrol high end is missing in diesel model.(power seats,xenon headlamps etc)

My reluctance for Vento is the numerous feedbacks here on VW/Skoda/Audi group.

I want a peaceful 5-8 year ownership with nominal service charge+parts charges.
I would've gone to Honda,if they ever come with a diesel model for city.

Ford and GM ,spare parts and service charges are bit high.
Cruize has excellent torque and raw power,at the cost of mileage.(16kmpl is what company claims).

My main motive behind petrol to diesel sedan is to save something on diesel.
So cruize is not in the radar now.

Anyway I'm planning to change only on first half of 2011.So will watch out for more feedback on service/parts about vento.
Old 29th September 2010, 10:41   #9
BHPian

altis d all the way
if you forget that it has a 6th gear and drive it with 1700+ rpm it does not at all feel underpowered
don't look at the specs on paper
see on road performance
linea too was hyped as under powered but its a scorcher on t road
Old 6th October 2010, 15:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Altis would be a no no because of the puny engine and low power for a sedan of its size.

Vento is too noisy.

Have a look at the Cruz LT. Fantastic !!
Old 6th October 2010, 21:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Altis would be a no no because of the puny engine and low power for a sedan of its size.

Vento is too noisy.

Have a look at the Cruz LT. Fantastic !!
Cruize has a mileage of `16 only.
The primary reason to look for a Diesel vehicle is the high mileage on low cost.

My current petrol vehicles give around 15-16 kmpl.

So the maths:

15KM- 1 Ltr.
1KM- 1/15 =0.067 Ltr.
50,000 KM= 3333.33 Ltr. = 1,66,666.5 Rs.( 50 Rs per litre)

In diesel

20KM-1Ltr
1KM-.05 Ltr.
50,000KM= 2500 Ltr=1,00,000 Rs (40 per litre)

I don't want to spend those 66,666 in the maintenance cost.
That's why I'm looking on a low spare,service cost provider.

I feel Toyota is leading on that particular area,when you compare others.
(VW long term ownership reviews are pending at the moment.So not sure about its ownership cost for a 5 year/50,000 KMs.)

I'll wait for more Vento service/parts reviews.
I'm not in a hurry.Will pass the OND quarter and look for options only on first quarter of 2011.

As far as power is concerned,I'm looking to upgrade our innova to fortuner or something of that area with more power later. I don't want high power in my car.
Old 7th October 2010, 09:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

According to your maths - go for a Vento or an Altis.

The cruze is a performance sedan in India, it's got the BHP and Torque which no other sedan has near its price category or even more.

Even despite the Cruze's size, power it gives a fantastic FE.

My Verna gives me no more than 13 - 14 kpl in city driving conditions with 100% ac on.
Old 7th October 2010, 09:43   #13
BHPian

I feel that you are leaning towards the Altis. then why hesitate. go for it buddy.
Old 7th October 2010, 09:45   #14
BANNED

Vento: I don't think VW want to sell you a Vento, which is evident from their dealers attitude. Again not sure if they want service your car either. I would say wait for few more months to undertstand the commitment of VW towards its customer.

Altis: I see you drive a VTEC. Not sure if you would like to left behind on highway after paying close to 12 lakhs !
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
I'm completing 5 years with my current petrol vehicles(ikon and honda city VTEC) and planning to switch to a diesel sedan.
Quote:
I'm looking for a 5-10 year ownership and hence cost of maintenance is very important. Both Ikon and City never gave any huge bill or major repairs till now and steadily giving 14-16 KMPL with AC (on long journeys). I want something similar.

suggestions please.
Decison between petrol & diesel have to made on running characteristics. Petrol cars usually cost a lakh less than their diesel counterparts. Difference between petrol & diesel is 14 rupees. So you will start saving on diesel after filling in 7000 litres of diesel ! So it makes sense to go for petrol. And you can have the best thing in petrol, new ANHC edition, which suits your budget.
Quote:
My main motive behind petrol to diesel sedan is to save something on diesel.
Old 7th October 2010, 09:53   #15
BHPian

If the Altis D was priced in the 9-11 lakh bracket for the fully loaded variant, it would have been an ideal choice albeit with the puny engine in a big car. The way things stand currently, Vento appears to be a better bet only if you can risk the unknown A-S-S of VW and the higher maintenance costs. Like the others said, an Altis is a true 5 seater due to the flat floor at the rear.

The Cruz is a scorcher of a car but the turbo lag might be an issue for heavy city driving. Not sure if a Chevy car will be good enough for 10 years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks