Hyundai Accent 1.5 2 5.26%
Ford Fiesta 1.4 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2005, 22:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
How can the tdci be called the most modern diesel engine? Common rail is nothing new...most auto companies have it now...even mahindra for that matter. And on top of that its managing to produce a measly 68bhp...while the supposedly 'older' CRDi from hyundai manages 82 bhp
Because its a third generation common-rail unit, has piezo electric injectors, has optimised rail pressures, and NVH levels are the BEST in any diesel car this side of 10 Lakhs.
Old 4th December 2005, 22:43   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Max,

Whatever your friend ends up buying eventually....ask him to keep SAFETY as the highest priority. It appears that his highway trips to Pune is like a daily drive to work

GTO
Old 4th December 2005, 22:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I was reading this threa from 1 post till GTO's last post.. and overall i would suggest Elentra over Skoda for the following:

1.) Safety and Features
2.) CRDi engine
3.) Very cheap to maintain.

Old 4th December 2005, 23:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Because its a third generation common-rail unit, has piezo electric injectors, has optimised rail pressures, and NVH levels are the BEST in any diesel car this side of 10 Lakhs.
Agree with the NVH part...CRDi's are noisy. Everyone seems to be saying the fiesta diesel isnt noisy then it must be true...i havent really had a chance to drive the fiesta.

Did not know about the piezoelectric injectors...what advantage are those giving?
Rail pressure on the CRDi is 1350bar...
what about on the fiesta...because higher that pressure the better will be the response from the engine to throttle input.

Ford seems to be getting away with calling a 68bhp common rail - a modern third generation engine...in three generations 68bhp was all that they could manage? Its kind of funny.

But lets not argue...'I' still think the CRDi from hyundai is the best bet this side of 10 lakhs.
To each his own.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 4th December 2005 at 23:21.
Old 4th December 2005, 23:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Did not know about the piezoelectric injectors...what advantage are those giving?
Piezo-electric injectors contain several tiny piezo-electric crystals which respond quickly to electrical inputs, way faster than your usual magnetically operated injectors. This brings down the time between injections as well allows better control over spray timing and density of spray. This allows the manufacturers to meet noise and emission regulations more easily.
This quick response timing also allows it to draw less energy from the high pressure fuel pump.

Why Ford chose to limit the output to 68 bhp, your guess is as good as mine.
Old 4th December 2005, 23:34   #21
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess a sedan would be an ideal choice rather than an MUV/SUV, since it's just for business purposes for travelling from one city to another. Like most, i too would suggest the Octavia TDi.
Old 5th December 2005, 01:24   #22
BHPian

i recommend the octavia its is gona be replaced unless u want the new one for 17 lacs!!!!!
go for the elantra u'll love it....or the innova if u want more space...!!!
Old 5th December 2005, 09:50   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
CRDi's are noisy. Everyone seems to be saying the fiesta diesel isnt noisy then it must be true..
Nope Drifter. Theres no reason why CRDis have to be noiser than regular diesels.

Its only true in the case of the Accent which is a three pot engine, and thus a little unrefined. The Innova / C220 / Scorpio arent overtly noisy at all.

GTO
Old 5th December 2005, 09:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yeah i was reffering to the accent.

Drifter
Old 5th December 2005, 10:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

I always seem to make to weird and not-so-intuitive choices. So, it's Hyundai Elantra for me. It's powerful, comes with loads of gadgets and well suited for highways. I wouldn't go for Innova unless I desparately need so much space. My preference would be for FE for that sort of mileage.
Old 5th December 2005, 10:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing4cure
i recommend the octavia its is gona be replaced unless u want the new one for 17 lacs!!!!!
go for the elantra u'll love it....or the innova if u want more space...!!!
NOt gonna be replaced. Laura would be sold along the old model. Thats the plan for now.

I voted for Elantra. Best package.
Old 5th December 2005, 10:38   #27
BHPian

skoda is a good car and can serve the purpose well but the spares are costly and slightly expensive elantra is a nice package but i feel you should go in for the innova
Old 5th December 2005, 11:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

as your friend will be visiting construction sites..i feel a SUV willbe a much better buy than these vehicles...
i suggest the Scorpio ...can also be used for ferrying the site workers .
Old 5th December 2005, 11:41   #29
Team-BHP Support

Indica TDi will give you 20+ on highway. So ford may have a modern diesel engine but nothing exceptional. Going by Fords reputation I will not recomment the car for 2 lakh km!

Unless a person wants an executive car, for such heavy usage its a good idea to take a low end car which even after losing all its value after 2 lakh kms will hardly pinch the pocket.

In his choice of executive Elantra and Innova are the winners. Skoda maintainance will kill the dude (Free service = 7000rs).
Old 5th December 2005, 16:24   #30
BHPian

Elantra is a very good car indeed..reason it doesnt sell is due to its weird (polite for ugly) front end!
But of course its way better than a 68bhp Fiesta.

Doing a trip everyday on expressway/highway, your car definitely should have airbags/ABS atleast so Elantra or Innova are great choices in terms of value and reliability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks