Ford Fiesta 1.4 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2005, 04:14   #1
Max
BHPian

suggest car for 5000 km per month

Hi,

My friend is in construction business and he plans to drive 4-5 days in a week from thane to pune (approx 250km daily). Currently he travels through train but now since project has started he will be commuting through car. He is looking for diesel car which he plans to keep for 4-5 years and drive about 2 lakhs kms. He wants his car to be safe and least in maintenance.

Can you guys suggest good car for him ? I recommended him Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi or Tyota Innova Diesel. My question is do these car last good after 2 lakhs kms ? do you recommend him any other diesel car?

thanks.
Max
Old 4th December 2005, 10:38   #2
BHPian

well, check out the Octi Vs.Elantra discussion, and recommend him a Elantra CRDi! he will luv u for that! if he doesnt want to spend that much, then even the Accent CRDi is a lovely car for highway crusing in its price range! but then, the difference between the two, with great discounts on Elantra, is not much, and in Hyderabad... Onroad Prices for ACcent CRDi is 7.75 Lk, and Elantra is 10,30 LK! so well worth the extra money spent on it!

Octi is very heavy on pockets when it comes to maintenence. while the Elantra is damn cheap!
Old 4th December 2005, 11:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
I recommended him Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi or Tyota Innova Diesel. My question is do these car last good after 2 lakhs kms ?
Have we ever heard of a toyota breaking down?
So the Innova Diesel it is !!
Old 4th December 2005, 12:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Actually the Elantra is a not a bad buy. It's got good torque (25kgm), decent power (112bhp) and is cheap to buy and maintain.

It's a sedan, which means that it'l be a lot more confidence inspiring than driving the Innova (at high speeds). It comes with ABS, EBD, TCS...the works.

The only problem is the resale value. They're hardly selling any these days and if the VGT Elantra is launched in 2 years time, the value of the present one will drop even more.

Skoda 1.9 - relaibility, handling, build quality.

Innova 2.5 - reliability, space, comfort, low maintainance cost, plush interior, resale value.

Elantra 2.0 - reliability, torquey engine, low maintainance cost, safety features, fuel efficiency, performance.

As a package, the Elantra is hard to beat but, it finally depends on what your friend is looking for, in a vehicle.

Shan2nu
Old 4th December 2005, 12:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu

As a package, the Elantra is hard to beat

Shan2nu
I can't agree more... and it is sad actually; its a complete package, and people still don't buy it. Maybe the badge is all that matters at this price range.. and that is what the innova and the skoda have.

By the way, ACI says that the Innova remains planted at high speeds, with no stability issues. I think we can take their word for that.
Old 4th December 2005, 13:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, ACI says that the Innova remains planted at high speeds, with no stability issues. I think we can take their word for that.
In a straight line, you could do 180kmph and still not feel anything but, the moment the road gets a bit twisty, the limits of adhesion can be reached very easily.

Another thing i noticed on the Innova is that, since it isn't a monocoque chassis, you can actually feel the chassis flexing when you really cane it into a corner. It just doesn't have the rigidity you find on the Elantra, Octavia or any other car with a monocoque setup.

But ofcourse, it's the best handling among the non-monocoque vehicles in India. That I can be sure of.

Shan2nu
Old 4th December 2005, 13:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Max, Tell ur friend two words: "Toyota Innova"
Old 4th December 2005, 13:27   #8
BHPian

Is Indica too bad or your friend is simply looking for an executive car?
Old 4th December 2005, 15:06   #9
BHPian

I doubt if Indica Diesel will last for 2 lakh KM, but for the price of a executive car you could buy a couple of Indica's though.

I think he should go for the CRDI Elantra. I dont think there will be a lot of difference in the resale price after 2 lakh KM , So he should look for saving as much during the course of the 2 lakh KM and the re saleprice will be set off by that.
Old 4th December 2005, 15:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Close your eyes, and go for Fiesta TDCi. The most modern diesel engine on Indian road this side of 10lacs. And Fuel efficiency is something every Auto Journo is going mad about (supposidly 20+kmpl)...
Old 4th December 2005, 15:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

How can the tdci be called the most modern diesel engine? Common rail is nothing new...most auto companies have it now...even mahindra for that matter. And on top of that its managing to produce a measly 68bhp...while the supposedly 'older' CRDi from hyundai manages 82 bhp from a 1.5 3 pot, why even the new turbo indica is faster than it.
I'd take those efficiency figures with a bit of salt...17-18kmpl at max seems more likely. Im not saying 20kmpl is impossible...but cannot be achieved in normal driving.

As a car i agree the fiesta is new and refreshing...but calling it the most modern diesel...

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 4th December 2005 at 15:25.
Old 4th December 2005, 15:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

If its self driven go for Skoda Octivia
If chauffer driven TATA Indigo SX
Old 4th December 2005, 15:39   #13
BHPian

Go for the car Equipped with ABS !

Whatever car he may go for ...... But since he would be doing lots and lots of highway driving , tell him to go for a car having equipped with ABS cos mind you .... this is a very very ESSENTIAL feature espically if you drive on Highways ....

My choice : Octavia 1.9 TDI with ABS .
Old 4th December 2005, 15:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Can you guys suggest good car for him ? I recommended him Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi or Tyota Innova Diesel. My question is do these car last good after 2 lakhs kms ? do you recommend him any other diesel car?

thanks.
Max
1. Toyota Innova Diesel

2. Hyundai Elantra

Both good highway cars, and maintenance costs should be low. He could also consider the Scorpio or Tavera if he wants to save a few bucks.
Old 4th December 2005, 16:20   #15
Max
BHPian

thanks for advice guys. I think elentra will be more practicle car for him because its low in maintenance and have all safety features like ABS, air bags etc. which i think are must for daily high speed highway cruising.

Most Viewed